Posted: 9 years ago

Onam is the biggest festival of Kerala, awaits one very special visitor, Kerala's most loved legendary King Maveli [mahabhali]. He is the King who once gave the people a golden era in Kerala. The King is so much attached to his kingdom that it is believed that he comes annually from the nether world to see his people living happily. It is in honour of King Mahabali, affectionately called 'Onathappan' that Onam is celebrated. 

Lord  vishnu came in Vamana  avatar n  ask the generous king  for some land.Vamana wanted as much land as could be covered by his three steps.  first step covered earth, second covered  Skies. The king realized that the Brahmin boy was no ordinary boy  and how his third step will destroy the earth hence asked the boy to place his last step on his head. Vamana placed his foot on the head of the king, which pushed him to patala, the nether world. 

Lord Vishnu revealed his true identity seeing the kinds generosity and granted a boon to the king. 

King Mahabali requested Lord Vishnu to be allowed to visit Kerala once in a year as he was very attached to his empire and the people living there. Lord Vishnu granted permission and blessed him

Edited by luvbalh - 9 years ago

Onam celebrations occur over a time period of 10 days

The tradition of laying Pookalam (a carpet made out of flowers which is in a similar manner to Rangolis) starts on this day. The size of the design is small on this day as it is just the beginning and only yellow flowers are used. Households also install statues of Mahabali and Vamana at the entrances.

On this day a second layer is added to the pookalam (either orange or a different shade of yellow)

The size of the pookalam grows even larger as more layers are added with various different flowers

This is probably one of the most important days of Onam. In earlier eras, the markets used to open up for harvest sale.

On Anizham, the Vallam Kali (Snake Boat) is kick-started in Kerala. A mock version is presented on this day as a rehearsal for the main one that will occur after Onam.

the pookalam would've extensively grown in size with 5-6 flowers having been added.

A traditional ritual occurs on this day when small statues of Mahabali and Vamana will be washed and cleaned and taken around the house in a procession. Afterwards it'll be installed in the center of the pookalam. The statue is called "Onathappan" from this day onwards.

This is the Onam eve and the celebrations are on full swing. It is also considered  the most auspicious day for purchase of vegetables and fruits for Thiruvonam. This day is also known as the First Onam as it marks the descending of King Mahabali onto Kerala.

This is the final day of Onam and is also known as Second Onam. As per  the myth, this is when Mahabali was sent to the underworld by Vamana. The day begins early in the morning as people clean their houses, take and early bath, wear new clothes, etc. Special payers and masses are organized by different institutions. The most important activity is the big feast, known as Thiruvona-Sadya

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ps.   Google  made me  post the story and abt  days of Onam . I really don't  have any idea of  ONAM  earlier.  I feel  great  that , the  motto of  opening a thread   made me familiar with  what , why was the  festival   celebrated.  GUYS  please excuse me  if any way  I  was wrong.   I made a post based on  my understanding.  I would be  pleased  to know  where  I went wrong.  Thanku  friends.    With all the due respects  for Indian culture and heritage specially  Kerala's I made this  Post. 

heyyy dudeee...

thnks for posting it...
beautiful thread..😊

WISH U HAPPY ONAM TO ALL...😊
Happy onam sandhya and buddies who celebrates.
Tfs onam knowledge and importance k liye molyEdited by bpatil3 - 9 years ago
Happy onam to all keralites :)

very nice informative thread ...
thank u
  Thanku  guys . for   appreciating.

are there  less Kerala kutti's on the  forum ?

Originally posted by jodude

heyyy dudeee...

thnks for posting it...
beautiful thread..😊

WISH U HAPPY ONAM TO ALL...😊

thanku .. dear

thanks  for  being  first person  to  comment

Originally posted by bpatil3

Happy onam sandhya and buddies who celebrates.
Tfs onam knowledge and importance k liye moly

OH ,   sandhya  is a malayali    right .   i forgot

i  remember her as goa resident. heheheh