hmm..noodlesoup thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
what is it about the indian accent that has made it the butt of all jokes?
normally people mock things which are different to their own and yet there's an admiration for french accents, people find them sexy.
a foreigner be it brazilian, italian, european wouldn't face as much mocking for their accent in us/uk/canada/aus as an indian would for theirs. it basically seems at the bottom of the hierarchy. why so?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

alina.b thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
Different things define us as who we are whether it may be height, accent, etc.

I am a high school student in America. When people get to know that I am Indian they assume that I must have an accent. Some people just say that I have an accent when I talk but most people say I don't. But I have been studying in America since Kindergarten. Yes I admit I may have an accent on some words because Hindi was my first language and I speak it at home. Having an accent or not should not hurt your self esteem. An accent doesn't make you better or worse than anybody. Just be confident and ignore jokes. And sometimes its okay to take a joke and laugh about it.

Sorry for my rambling! I can't always stay on one topic!
Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
I know right :(

But who cares. I think each one copies the other while mocking or while holding blind opinions about some other. It's just human nature.

Its just like how people dislike dark complexion, it is actually beautiful too... everything is beautiful. But man tends to group things as this and that, and likes to hate/mock some things... for no reason at all.
One musnt feel ashamed his accent is being made fun of. Infact, in such cases, I feel one must consciously speak in his accent and assert his identity. Let people laugh, crack jokes... one can retaliate by mocking their accent too(as in the mocker's accent)... πŸ˜†  It's really a silly, childish issue you know. People who look down upon things like accents really show how superficial they are.. Thing is, one musnt feel ashamed, even if the world laughs at your ACCENT you got by birth!

I find all accents nice, provided they're really original. I especially LOVE it when Tamilians, Malayalees, Telugu people still retain their thick accent while speaking in English... It sounds so cute. One of my Tamilian professor really drives me crazy with his sexy voice and accent β˜ΊοΈ Oh no, sorry, I digress. 😳

Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 9 years ago