Posted: 9 years ago

The coming of age of the Casting Director

Priya Gupta,TNN | Sep 16, 2014, 12.00 AM IST
inShare
More
A
A
The coming of age of the Casting Director
Mukesh Chhabra aka Casting Chhabra as he is lovingly called, is 33. He is emotional, very good at his work, though not as good when it comes to his relationships. His casting is very rooted and he is proud of many talented people that he has launched, including Rajkummar Rao, Sushant Singh Rajput and Amit Sadh. His casting takes away all his time, but he enjoys looking for new talent and helping them reach their goal. While Imtiaz Ali gave him his first break in Love Aaj Kal, it was Anurag Kashyap Gangs Of Wasseypur that made him famous. While the casting director has always been one of the most important persons in the making of a film in Hollywood, Bollywood has recently begun to recognise its importance. In a conversation with the extremely talented and passionate Mukesh, we tell you all that it takes to become and remain a casting director.

Excerpts:

How did you become a casting director?
I am a Punjabi, born and brought up in Delhi. My dad retired as a regulargovernment servant, where we could afford to buy fruits every 31st of the month. I used to love playing cricket, till when I was put in summer creative workshop at the National School Of Drama at the age of 16. Post completing my Class XII, I joined the Shri Ram Centre acting course and simultaneously completed my graduation, as that was a requirement of taking up a job at TIE, that is a part of NSD. Post Shri Ram Centre, I had done freelance theatre with NK Sharma group, of which Imtiaz Ali was also a part. I then joined TIE that works with children and I worked there for seven years, teaching acting to kids and doing workshops. I have always found working with kids very fascinating. Also, being a middle-class boy, it gave me a fixed salary at that time of '12,000 per month and a bonus on Diwali. My parents were so happy with my job that they went and did a puja at the temple. While I was at TIE at NSD, I would direct plays and also do street plays. In fact, I have done many with Nawazuddin Siddiqui, where he would get paid '200 as he was famous in the Delhi theatre circuit and I got only '50. I was not a good actor and my mind would always work towards direction and casting. Also, having seen so many actors pass out from NSD, I knew many of them. I then joined a television news company, where I ran one of their puppet shows, but soon I realised that I did not like the corporate system and regretted leaving the NSD job. I used to help cast kids, for instance, I helped Vishal Bhardwaj and decided to move to Mumbai in 2007. I had, by this time, become the guy who could help find, so to say, kamaal ke bache. Also, since I had performed theatre with the kids throughout India during festivals, I got exposed to theatre artists pan India and knew each one of them. I started assisting for small supporting casts in films like Rang De Basanti, Kaminey and Chak De. My first break as a full casting director was given by Imtiaz Ali in Love Aaj Kal and I got my recognition by casting all the 300-350 actors in Anurag Kashyap's Gangs of Wasseypur and the children in Chillar Party. I then cast for Kai Po Che, Shahid and now for many, including Raju Hirani.

How does casting happen?
Step 1: You sign an NDA and then read the script from which I make my points. Step 2: I then agree on the common brief and then start searching for people and do auditions. Step 3: When I am sure, I present the audition tapes to the director. Sometimes, it bounces back, but in my case, 99% it goes through.

How long does it take to cast for a film?
Usually, it takes 2-4 months to cast. But films like PK and Gangs Of Wasseypur take from a year to a year-and-a-half as it involves a lot of work.

How much can you get paid to be a casting director?
We get paid about Rs 10-20 lakhs for a film based on the size of the film. But it is now increasing as people are realising the value of casting in a film.

Which directors have you enjoyed casting most for?
Anurag Kashyap, as he trusts you so much and goes with your gut. I love Imtiaz Ali as he gives you so much detailing for even the smallest roles. He will tell you even the kind of tea wallah he wants in the background. He is very poetic and I love just listening to him. And Raju Hirani, of course. I have cast for all his ads and he had not worked with a full-fledged casting director before. His detailing is not basis being a good-looking actor, his detailing is about each frame and you learn so much from him. Once you have cast for him, you can cast for any other film.

What is your motivation as a casting director?
Finding new talent. Being a conduit for reaching them to their goal, presenting the talent to a director and then later, seeing their performance. Given the prevalence of the casting couch, do you have CCTVs in your office? In today's day and age, you cannot manage without putting cameras in your office. We have 13 CCTVs as when actors get desperate they can say anything to malign you.

Do stars change their behaviour before and after getting their breaks?
You do feel cheated, but then you realise that it is part of your job. They change completely after becoming a star or the release of their film. Before getting the film, if they call you 10 times, post getting the film, they will call you once. Before they get their role, they will call you and ask, 'Mukesh bhai kya ho raha hai?' After the film, from Mukesh bhai, it will become Mukesh. They will come and wait 2 hours before the audition. After the release, they will keep postponing coming to meet. Before, they will talk to you without arguing. After, the way they talk and butter you completely changes.

With the importance of the casting director, what do actors do? 
They will sms you 24 hours. They wish me good morning and good night and will not forget to wish me on any festival. They will not leave any opportunity if they read even a small thing about you or something good happens to you to congratulate you for it. I feel sorry for myself if I go to a coffee shop, as they will see you and start buttering. I feel like telling them, sometimes, meet me, sit with me, have a coffee but let's not talk about work. They will sit with you for just five minutes and the sixth minute ask, 'Anything interesting for me?' I also understand that they need me. And that's why I don't like to be seen too much as even my old genuine theatre friends expect you to cast them. They start treating you like a casting director more than a friend and it doesn't feel good. They will call me and say, 'Give me that director's name, can you push me somewhere.'

Who do you love the most in the world?
I am most attached to my dad. He always says, 'Beta, I can only give you my blessings.' But he has done so much for me that I can never leave him. When he retired, I told him, 'Papa, I have earned some money, please come and stay with me.' So my parents now live with me in Mumbai. He will only ask me, 'Puttar, are you happy?' He feels very happy when he sees my name somewhere as the casting director. They are very simple, desi, village type. He feels that I don't think about my future, don't build a house, don't get married, but I want to do more work and become even bigger. I struggled a lot in Mumbai having just ' 50 with me on my first Diwali. No director would give you work or talk to you and people that I work with today would not even pick up my phone then. But I will always remain grateful to Imtiaz Ali for being the first director to have given me full credit for being a casting director and then Anurag Kashyap as everyone came to know me after Gangs Of Wasseypur.

Key casting directors in Bollywood

Mukesh Chhabra: Gangs Of Wasseypur, D-Day, Kai Po Che, Shahid, Bombay Velvet, Fitoor, PK

Shanoo Sharma: Dhoom: 3, Jab Tak Hai Jaan, Ek Tha Tiger, My Name Is Khan

Nandini Shrikent: Yeh Jawaani Hai Deewani, Student Of The Year 

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
What casting did people like Nandini actually have to do?😆
Anyways Mukesh should hold it...his PR is more active than his friend Sushant's.
poppy2009 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
What work do casting directors really have in bollywood? Most of the new stars are all second generations star-kids, who have been known in the industry since forever.

And the decision to take stars in films ultimately still lies with producers and directors.

PS: Who discovered Rajkumar Rao? 

Edited by poppy2009 - 9 years ago
TheRager thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: poppy2009

What work do casting directors really have in bollywood? Most of the new stars are all second generations star-kids, who have been known in the industry since forever.

And the decision to take stars in films ultimately still lies with producers and directors.

😆I think only Chabbra has done some work with KPC and GoW. Otherwise cant believe people like Shanoo or Nandini have to work. 😆
nikitagmc thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Atul Mongia, casting director of Love Sex and Dhokha was the one to give Rajkumar Rao his first break, but his real breaks or bigger roles (like Gangs of Wasseypur, Shahid and KPC) have come through Mukesh Chhabra. So mostly Chhabra gets the credit for discovering Raj.

The casting director decides the supporting cast and character actors in the film in most cases bcos the main leads/stars are decided by the director/producer. Most of Chhabra's finds have come through supporting roles only. However, in small budget films in which they can't afford stars or are looking for new guys, the casting director is consulted on whom to be casted. For example: Chhabra did the whole casting of KPC, Gangs of Wasseypur, Shahid, Chillar Party and other films. Same for the other casting directors.
Edited by nikitagmc - 9 years ago

They mostly do casting for the character/side roles IMO... MC deserves credit for GOW & KPC casting though... Shanoo and Nandini for Yrf and Dharma, mostly
 discovering, training star kids ðŸ˜†

Edit add: aah! Niki already illustrated ..
Edited by Piyatrix - 9 years ago
poppy2009 thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Piyatrix

They mostly do casting for the character/side roles IMO... MC deserves credit for GOW & KPC casting though... Shanoo and Nandini for Yrf and Dharma, mostly
 discovering, training star kids ðŸ˜†

Training star kids...😆

That just sounded really funny!
TheRager thumbnail

Training star kids...😆

That just sounded really funny!

Its more like go to a party where all starkids are present and select which one will best fit for an upcoming film. 😆
Hello_kitta thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Kitna bolta hai yeh coming out of age director.
gilmores thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 8
I guess casting directors only get to cast for lead roles if the director/producer's first few choices don't work out...like Shanoo cast Ranveer, Arjun in their first films. Nandini found Fawad (??). Mukesh Chabra probably came on board for KPC after top stars refused the film...

Otherwise, they are responsible for the supporting cast. 

Edited by chocolover89 - 9 years ago