Posted: 9 years ago
Srk and rani acting was really bad. I didn't at all mind the concept bt hated their acting especially rani's who I felt held back. I only watched it once and hated it bt I liked the songs only good thing ab it and preity and abhi where awesome in the movie. Bt really 1 of srk worst films

A few things made KANK a failure.

Infidelity is a huge taboo in any society. In India the taboo is far worse. You cannot use infidelity in a plot as easily as in the west. That being said Indian audiences are not completely uptight either. It just depends on how you portray infidelity.

The greater problem with KANK was SRK and Rani's characters were extremely selfish and self-obsessed. They had no appreciation for their genuinely caring spouses. You don't feel for them. You don't connect with their feelings. You are more infuriated and upset at them. When you dislike the main leads of the movie, it is hard for it to be successful.

Other movies have shown infidelity, but with better stories to make it more palatable.

That being said KANK did deal with a mature subject with some sort of finesse. KJo deserves some applause for broaching an uncomfortable subject.

I think there was a lot of hamming and indian audience didn't connect with the story as marriage is considered a sacred institution here and infidelity is not accepted or justified on any terms. Moreover the emotional scenes looked like we were siding with the sorry couple Maya and Dev, whereas I thought PZ and Abhi deserved more sympathy! 

The main negative feedback was, two cheaters reuniting in the end ðŸ˜† It hurt indian sensibilities though it happens a lot in real..

I think the treatment and how the movie is portrayed makes a lot of things acceptable, but KJO failed big time in that department
Edited by Zairean - 9 years ago
Due to some mix up of tickets, I had to watch it back to back in two days...still recovering from the experience😆

It was a badly made film. That's all.

KJo is not the first director who picked up the subject of marital infidelity...Yash Chopra executed it beautifully in Silsila and Anurag Basu in Life in a Metro. Both the films gave an insider's perspective into a cheating spouse's mind and made it real, instead of just garnering sympathy for them.

KJo gave a very superficial look at the subject...not justifying why exactly the partners cheat on their spouses. From all accounts, Abshiek and Preity's characters seem to be amazing spouses, then why do SRK and Rani cheat on them?

Yeah, people fall out of love and all that, but KJo never showed that there was any love between the married couple in the first place. And KJo wasn't bold enough to show that SRK and Rani cheat, because they are simply bored in their marriages...he wanted to maintain sympathy for their characters from the audience.

IMO, it was a silly film on a very serious topic.
Edited by poppy2009 - 9 years ago
I haven't watched.. I don't want to watch it..
Originally posted by Scorpio_Velvet

I see a lot of people bashing that movie here. Like its totally crap movie. I remember watching the movie in theater and while I thought it was too long, found it to be an average movie.

Negative reaction is because the movie was that bad or due to the fact that it kinda justified infidelity?  

Yes it was really that bad...it will be a bigger blot on SRK's career than RA-one...The movie showed that those two cheaters who should have been rotting separately in Antartica...got together in the end...the last scene where Shahrukh proposes to Rani was totally cringeworthy ...I know movies should show the real face of our society and extramarital affair do happen...but the end should be the RIGHT one...please don't show them being rewarded for being cheaters...especially when u are taking up a social issue...

Acting wise...i found the acting brilliant especially Shahrukh...his character was supposed to make u hate him...and he actually did that...the movie would have been brilliant for me if the end was different...
i liked it... the srk - rani bed scene made me cringe though🤢 and i usually LOVE their pairing ðŸ˜†
Originally posted by return_to_hades

A few things made KANK a failure.

Infidelity is a huge taboo in any society. In India the
taboo is far worse. You cannot use infidelity in a plot as easily as in the
west. That being said Indian audiences are not completely uptight either. It
just depends on how you portray infidelity.

The greater problem with KANK was SRK and Rani's characters
were extremely selfish and self-obsessed. They had no appreciation for their
genuinely caring spouses. You don't feel for them. You don't connect with their
feelings. You are more infuriated and upset at them. When you dislike the main
leads of the movie, it is hard for it to be successful.

Other movies have shown infidelity, but with better stories
to make it more palatable.

That being said KANK did deal with a mature subject with some sort of finesse. KJo deserves some applause for broaching an uncomfortable subject.

I remember Tabu Monish Behl movie sm wt infidelity concept
Wr tabu has an affair with Monish
I think tabu got so much critical acclaim fr that movie
Originally posted by zaynmalik.

i liked it... the srk - rani bed scene made me cringe though🤢 and i usually LOVE their pairing ðŸ˜†

they were cheating on their spouses and that also such loving and supportive spouses...it was cringeworthy if u watch it with that thought in mind.
Btw, Amitabh's speech in the film was really good. This scene was the only one I remembered after watching the film.

KJo gets the hang of dialouges very well or in anycase gives a good brief to his writer.

PS: I remember a lot of Desi's living in the US had complained that none of them dress up like Rani Mukherjee and Preity Zinta do in the film!😆