Negative reaction on Dawn's review of "khoobsurat"

AuntyDepressant thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail
Posted: 9 years ago
Here is the dawn review of Khoobsurat.

http://www.dawn.com/news/1132993

For many fawad's fans across the border this review did not go down well. For them the reviewer is harsh on Sonam and they also have problem with reviewer calling Fawad as their own. One of the Fawad fan was so pi***d off that she said Pakistanis go to Bollywood because Pakistan does not have opportunities.

I wanna discuss if it is correct? Pakistanis go to bollywood because they do not have opportunities here in Pakistan? Pakistan does not give anything to these artists?

As far as the criticism on Sonam is I think it is quite apt. Sonam is being criticized for her acting left, right and centre in india as well. Reviewer must have felt the same about Sonam and hence provided her views.

Edited by PyarayAfzal - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Raindrops. thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
I am a Pakistani and I thought that was rude and unnecessary, Fawad is a star in Pakistan but he is a new comer in bollywood. This kind of gives the impression as if Fawad has conquered bollywood. Secondly sorry he is our kind of sounded bitter. It is not like they begged Fawad. It is better to be humble and do great things than be arrongant 
Usman. thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
I watched the movie last night in Cinema.. will post my review later and than discuss this thing.
pinkeye thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2
For a single fan reaction, are'nt you genralising the fanbase across the border.
No offence but his fans across the border has appreciated him a lot too and repeatedly said he belongs to his country.

Come on cut some slack and stop pinpointing as if everything is taken negatively.

No offence intended.

On people working in bollywood, its an individual decision of an artist to choose where to do work. That decision may get influenced by many factors. Fawad voluntarliy chose to work in bollywood for reasons best known to him. That does not get equated to the fact that he was not getting ample opportunities. His nationality is something which cannot be taken away by anyone. Moreover he himself categorically mentioned that all these global recognition is for the work he has done back home. So he hi self admits where he belongs. If so, then whats the displeasure or complaints? Edited by pinkeye - 9 years ago
nevah_mind thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: PyarayAfzal

Here is the dawn review of Khoobsurat.

https://www.dawn.com/news/1132993

For many fawad's fans across the border this review did not go down well. For them the reviewer is harsh on Sonam and they also have problem with reviewer calling Fawad as their own. One of the Fawad fan was so pi***d off that she said Pakistanis go to Bollywood because Pakistan does not have opportunities. 

Please read my post again. This what I said:

QUOTE my post from link below: If Fawad does well, its because he is so good and they are not going to let us "keep him" Well, I would like to be mean and say that if he had as good opportunities there, he wouldn't have needed to step out to start with. 
If this movie didn't get happy reviews, they would have said that critics never give their stars good reviews and our industry never gives them good roles. UNQUOTE

Will be nice if you don't change it saying I was pi$$ed off and play Chinese whispers here. This is exactly how misunderstandings begin. 
Explaining again that my response was in context to the article saying that BW wants to keep him, but Pak is not going to let them.
The word "if" in my sentence has great meaning, and I suggest you read, notice and understand that before making it a reason to fight.

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/4167701?pn=60

I wanna discuss if it is correct? Pakistanis go to bollywood because they do not have opportunities here in Pakistan? Pakistan does not give anything to these artists?

These are your questions solely, from your mind. Please don't use my post as an excuse, because then it would mean you have misinterpreted and misrepresented to start a debate.

As far as the criticism on Sonam is I think it is quite apt. Sonam is being criticized for her acting left, right and center in india as well. Reviewer must have felt the same about Sonam and hence provided her views.

Originally posted by: ..-Raindrops-..

I am a Pakistani and I thought that was rude and unnecessary, Fawad is a star in Pakistan but he is a new comer in bollywood. This kind of gives the impression as if Fawad has conquered bollywood. Secondly sorry he is our kind of sounded bitter. It is not like they begged Fawad. It is better to be humble and do great things than be arrogant 

Raindrops, I really appreciate that you are able to see another POV.   If the writer did find Sonam OTT, there is absolutely no problem. The article had a rather condescending tone, like a "collars up" kind of thing, which I think could be done without.
And that is the issue here. If one gets off the back foot, one will understand the comments.

If our press is criticizing Sonam's performance, the attitude is "look, even your press is saying so. So why can't we say it?"
if our press criticizes Imran, its "Indian media never gives our stars good roles. They always run them down"
My point is why can't we get a balanced feedback? Why is it always our doing? 
No one has forced anyone to work in BW at gun point. Fawad himself has refused earlier, proving that whatever he did was his choice. He also said that his plans to come here in 2008 didn't work out because of the political situation.
So how come its always our fault? If its good, its because the star is yours. If its bad, its because we don't give you decent roles/respect/whatever.
If your TV serials are liked, its because your serials are so good. But if there is something that we don't like, it because Indians are used to rubbish content and don't have the openness to accept anything from anywhere else.
Please don't expect to defend blindly and not hear anything in return,
As much as I think there are loads of TV serials from all over the world, as well as movies which are far better than a lot of what we produce, I refuse to take criticism with a "one up" attitude, that everything everywhere is fantastic and the muck only lies with Indian stuff.
Edited by nevah_mind - 9 years ago
Raindrops. thumbnail
^ I agree but like you guys said a few comments here are not representative of whole Pakistan, have you seen how audience has praised Khoobsurat and Fawad in Pakistan, some were even praising sonam more than him.
There is a section in Pakistan that enjoys bollywood movies than there is a section which doesn't like our actors to work in bollywood. Unfortunately negative or controversial stuff is what sells for newspaper and media. Thousand people praising something will go unnoticed but hundreds bashing will create more impact 
Raindrops. thumbnail
It is only now that our industry has started to grow but we have a long way to go. It is not easy when the industry has completely collapsed to reconstruct it, it may take us many years before we can actually do that. 
pinkeye thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

^ I agree but like you guys said a few comments here are not representative of whole Pakistan, have you seen how audience has praised Khoobsurat and Fawad in Pakistan, some were even praising sonam more than him.

There is a section in Pakistan that enjoys bollywood movies than there is a section which doesn't like our actors to work in bollywood. Unfortunately negative or controversial stuff is what sells for newspaper and media. Thousand people praising something will go unnoticed but hundreds bashing will create more impact 

I guess its a serious case of communication gap. every section of people have their opinions, reservations and complaints on many issues and few things get so much highlighted that it only strengthen the negative aspect.

I don't get this fanbase here vs fanbase across border and all negativity , do not want to indulge in it too. Hope FK chooses work back home only henceforth  and cherish his visit across the border as he was much appreciated by all sections including mainstream media here in a genuine manner.

No offence intended to anyone.   
Edited by pinkeye - 9 years ago
nevah_mind thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

It is only now that our industry has started to grow but we have a long way to go. It is not easy when the industry has completely collapsed to reconstruct it, it may take us many years before we can actually do that. 

Very true.  I'm also sure that when it does take off, there will be some brilliant movies with some brilliant work, because there is so much talent there.

AuntyDepressant thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Visit Streak 30 0 Thumbnail

Originally posted by: pinkeye

For a single fan reaction, are'nt you genralising the fanbase across the border.
No offence but his fans across the border has appreciated him a lot too and repeatedly said he belongs to his country.

Come on cut some slack and stop pinpointing as if everything is taken negatively.

No offence intended.

On people working in bollywood, its an individual decision of an artist to choose where to do work. That decision may get influenced by many factors. Fawad voluntarliy chose to work in bollywood for reasons best known to him. That does not get equated to the fact that he was not getting ample opportunities. His nationality is something which cannot be taken away by anyone. Moreover he himself categorically mentioned that all these global recognition is for the work he has done back home. So he hi self admits where he belongs. If so, then whats the displeasure or complaints?

I don't think I am generalizing. Many people have found this review harsh and they have said it so. Yes, one fan went overboard and commented that Pakistan does not have opportunities and this is why Fawad went to bollywood. I just want perspective of different people on it that whether this comment has some merit or not.

I I think you failed to understand what the purpose of this post was.