[OS Content Entry Follow-up] Tum Aa Gaye Ho | Part 1 and 2

teekay thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 9 years ago
Hi,
A few of you has asked me to write a sequel to the entry I submitted for last month's brilliant OS contest that Uma, Kavya and others had organized. (Thank you again for all your efforts, guys)

To be honest, I always wanted to write the whole story, which is now here, but the OS contest was at a time when I was completely swamped with work, so the fact that I had an entry at all was a miracle.
Still, a few of you had liked the story and even voted for it, and I always wanted to write the second part. I know this is very delayed, but what the hell, better late than never.

I hope you enjoy reading the sequel, and I would be glad to get feedback. 

Cheers,
TK

Edited by teekay - 9 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

teekay thumbnail
Part 1
On top of the stage, the applause was deafening. Cameras flashed constantly and the lights were bright and blinding. Rishabh Kundra, superstar, smiled charmingly as he received yet another award tonight. The smile was fake, but it was still killer as the reactions of his fans showed. None of this was unfamiliar for him. He had forgotten many years ago how to smile a genuine bright smile from the heart. Yet, somehow, tonight his mind wandered. His journey of the last ten years had been nothing short of spectacular - from the sleepy, backward village of Kuldhara to the heights of Bollywood where he ruled over billions of hearts. This was the dream, wasn't it? 

And yet, something felt empty. He was lonely, lonelier than ever tonight. It was three years tonight since his mother had passed away and that pinched, because the truth was he had lost her many years ago when he ran away from home to come to Mumbai. She had never forgiven him.  All for some unknown girl! This wasn't justice!

Rishabh found himself getting angry again. Somehow, in the last few days, his thoughts went back to that girl again and again. He didn't know where she was, how she was, and barely remembered who she was. Yet, she was the reason his mother had disowned him. How many times had he tried, going back to Kuldhara to apologize to his mother and bring her with him to Mumbai, but she had refused to even see him. Each time, he had returned from the door, unable to step into his own house. Now, since his mother had passed away, he had the keys to the house along with all other ancestral property, but he hadn't been there since. 

Rishabh struggled to remember her name - Meenawati, Mithila, Madhubala...something like that, he couldn't remember. Yes, he had been technically married to her, but for God sakes he was six when that happened. Six! And she was probably two. Just because their parents decided their relationship was desirable, it did not mean he could be burdened with that responsibility. It just wasn't fair! Not to mention, entirely illegal. And so, as he grew up he realized that the artificial relationship wasn't something he was going to be shackled by. His dreams and ambitions were more important. And he deserved a chance to find a life partner he loved and desired. He had done the right thing - not just for himself but for the girl too, he believed - by refusing to honor the so-called relationship. But he had not anticipated the price he would have to pay for his freedom - his mother's love and his only family. The success he worked for eventually did come to him and the peripherals of fan, fame, money and glamor followed. So many claimed to be friends, lovers and well-wishers, but none were real. The emotional void in his life had only grown bigger with time. 

A few times in those years, he had thought about talking to that girl - that so-called ex-child-wife of his - or at least finding out where she was. After all, he hadn't always hated her. She had even less of a choice in the matter than he did. He imagined that maybe she would be able to talk sense to his mom. After all, it was her welfare she placed more importance on than her own son. But he never got around to doing that. 

Somehow though, tonight the same thought returned to him. He wanted to call her, not that he knew where to call her. But even if he did, what would he say? 
And more importantly, why would she care? 

She was probably married with four children now, as women her age in Rajasthan were expected to have. He had spoken to her twice, but that was long in the past. The first time, he was sixteen. His mother wanted him to get his bride home as she had come of age. Rishabh had refused, saying he wanted her to finish her studies. Twelve was no age to be a  daughter-in-law. Her parents had refused though, so he had himself picked up the phone and instructed her to continue studying and study as much as she wanted. Somehow his words worked on both her and her parents. The second time was five years after that - the night before he left for Mumbai, the night he finally decided to unshackle himself from old superstitions, backward rituals and everything that stood in the way of his dreams. When he told Radha he wanted to go to Mumbai, she had foolishly asked him to take his child-bride along. He had refused to acknowledge any such relation. She vowed never to talk to him again if he did. He vowed he would never accept that child-marriage. He had picked up the phone in front of his mother and informed his child-bride of his decision himself,  as if to make a point. It was all a touch filmy, Rishabh now thought. But as he left the next day, he had sincerely believed his mother would come around and see his point. He was the pampered child she loved so much. He was all she had, right? And yet, he was wrong. That day, he had walked out and was never able to return again. All for a girl who didn't even have any objection or anything much to say in response to his decision. 

(One month later)

As the dusty road from Jaisalmer wound into Kuldhara, Rishabh could feel a duststorm inside him. Being only 120 kms away from his home during the previous week's shooting had made him restless. He yearned for the comfort of his childhood, for his mother's lap, for that feeling of being wanted - not just applauded and desired. And so he had come home, hoping that the air would still carry his mother's scent and bring him some peace.

The car stopped and Rishabh emerged. The big haveli still looked the same. Slighty worn with time, but still the same scent of home. As he reached the door, Baburam, the old servant who had literally raised him, recognized him instantly. Baburam started to say something but then stopped, only guided him inside and ran in, perhaps to get water. Maybe he wanted to apologize, Rishabh thought to himself, for all those years when he would turn him away from the doorstep. He had always repeated his mother's question, if he was willing to give up his vow against the child-marriage, and Rishabh always had the same reply. Today though, that question had finally disappeared and Rishabh was welcome in as the owner. Only it wasn't a home any longer. 

Rishabh wandered into the living room. Everything looked the same as it was ten years ago. A large portrait of his mother - the matriarch - hung on the wall and Rishabh was automatically drawn there. Her eyes still radiated with the power of her will. 

"Rishabh beta, would you be staying here? Shall I get your room readied." Baburam asked, returning with tea and snacks. Rishabh looked at him and nodded.

When he eventually got there, Rishabh was surprised looking at his room. It looked the same as he remembered, actually better. The curtains were fresh and of his favorite color. There were flowers, and a huge portrait of him hung on the wall. It was recent, as were many other pictures of his around the room, though they were all from magazines and posters. They all belonged to superstar RK. For the first time that evening, he smiled a bit. Maybe his mother didn't hate him like he feared. 

"Who takes care of the haveli?" RK turned and asked Baburam.

"Ummm...caretaker bitiya (daughter)...she only takes care of everything. Actually, she is a doctor...she treats everyone in the village and works at the charitable hospital of your father. But your mother trusted her and she has been taking care of the upkeep here for very long." 
"Hmmm...okay. Maybe I should meet her before I leave." Rishabh thought to himself.

The next morning, Rishabh woke up early but fresh, having slept better than he had in a long time. He walked towards the balcony to get some air, when his eyes fell on the girl in the garden, supervising the gardener. Dressed in a simple yellow sari, she looked more innocent, more beautiful than anyone Rishabh had ever seen. She had a faint smile as she talked, and Rishabh couldn't decide if she was more beautiful or the garden she seemed to have maintained in this desert. Absentmindedly as he stared at her, his hand hit the vase kept on the coffee table in the balcony, breaking it. He screamed in pain as the glass broke and his hand started bleeding, but he forgot the pain as he saw her turn towards him, hearing his cry. Their eyes met and for a second Rishabh thought his heart stopped. He felt like he could taste hope and joy, but being distracted and unbalanced, he slipped, hurting himself for a second time as he fell on the other elbow, possibly spraining it.

"What happened Rishabh beta?" Baburam called making Rishabh turn back. He hurriedly came towards RK with the first aid box, keeping the tea he had brought on the side. Rishabh though turned back towards the garden, wanting to see the girl one more time and saw that she had turned to run indoors too. 
"Who's that?" Rishabh asked Baburam, who was trying to remove the glass pieces while his own eyes kept darting back to the garden.
"That...uhh...that is caretaker bitiya...I told you yesterday. Now come inside. See how much blood..." Unwillingly RK came inside, prodded both by Baburam and the fact that the girl had disappeared from the gardens.
"What's her name?" he asked, but didn't get a response.
"Rishabh beta, did you...I mean in the city where you live, I mean...you didn't bring your wife along from the city to show her your house?" he asked after a couple of minutes
"I am not married, Baburam kaka."
"You were married as a child..."
"Kaka! Don't remind me of that sham! I hate that wedding, that girl and everything to do with that incident! It took away my mother and everything I had! I want to forget my past!" Rishabh screamed, all his anger returning to him.
"Then why did you come back here? Isn't this your past?" Baburam replied, almost equally enraged. 
"Yeah. Yeah, I will not stay here. I am going to sell this house and everything here."

It was evening by the time he returned. After the argument with Baburam that morning, RK had felt restless and wandered out. He went everywhere in the village and around he could remember from his childhood, but nothing felt soothing anymore. Even though his mind kept going back to the face of the yellow sari girl, the peace he had felt last night was gone. Something nagged in him. He felt like he had walked away from the life here years ago of his own will, and now he was no longer welcome back.

Tired, he sat on the sofa in his room, staring at the pictures of himself that reminded him of his success. Yet again, he thought of the girl, his child-wife, from the past. Was she happy, he suddenly thought? It was strange that he had never considered this question before. He had almost assumed she was somewhere, living a life of contentment that she would have always wanted. But what if that wasn't true? What impact had his one-sided decision of their mutually intertwined lives had on her? Her family was just as backward and rigid as his own, as far as he could tell. And she was a girl! Did she have to pay a price as well? Did he do justice to her by abruptly calling off the relation?

The disturbing chain of thought was interrupted with a knock on the door. The girl from the morning was standing at the door with a file in her hand. Her red and golden sari was simple, and she wore no jewelry or any traditional ornament, yet she looked as beautiful as any traditional bride, Rishabh thought. He heard her anklets as she walked towards him. Her eyes said something, but Rishabh couldn't read them. He tried to search her eyes in an attempt to understand when he noticed the sindoor on her forehead. She was married! 

Suddenly, it felt like cold water had been splashed on his face, and Rishabh stood up. What was he thinking? And why? This was some village girl he had never met or talk to. He didn't even know her name! Why did it feel like a jolt of electricity to discover that she was married? Of course she was, she looked over 25 and this was Kuldhara, not Mumbai.

"You had asked for the papers and accounts of the haveli" she spoke, pulling Rishabh back from his thoughts to the reality, and held out the file to him.
"Umm...papers...yes..papers...thanks." Rishabh hesitated as he looked at the file she placed in front of him , suddenly unable to look in her eye. 
"Is it necessary to sell this haveli?" she asked, and RK suddenly had no response. "The people here...they have been working for many years...even after M..I mean after Maajisaa's demise, they are very loyal...their jobs..."
"I don't want to take away anyone's jobs. If the new owner doesn't keep them, I will give them enough compensation so they don't have to work again." Slowly he was getting his composure back, and the worldly wise superstar was returning. "You...you can keep your job here."
"My job...no thanks, you fired me from my job a while ago..."she said, confusing Rishabh, and continued "...anyway, I just wanted to know why. I thought it was about money, but it's probably not..."
"Money doesn't matter. I just want to move on from the ties of the past. I am superstar RK you know."
"Hmmm...I know." she began to leave, but Rishabh stopped her. "You...I don't remember you."
"I know" she said
"What's your name?"
"Madhu." she replied, and something stirred in RK, but he couldn't place a finger what. 
"And you're the doctor at our hospital?" he asked
"Yes. And I also was taking care of running this household while you were away. So I managed the finances. But I have included the accounts and also signed the papers you'd need to transfer them to the next person. They're all in the file!"
"You won't be staying here...for the job I mean?" RK felt a sense of desperation he couldn't understand.
"No...my job is done. It is time for me to move away from the past as well." Madhu said and walked past RK in the opposite direction as he looked at the papers in the file. Madhubala Kundra, read the signature on the first page. The file fell.
"Madhu" He said as he swiftly turned back and caught hold of her hand, locking his right elbow in hers as his hand was still bandaged. She stopped, and their gaze met.

He stepped closer, now only inches away from her face, his arm firmly interlocked with hers. She didn't resist or move away or even look away. She was comfortable, confident, standing next to him being touched by him as if she belonged there. He knew then, he really knew. 

They stood there - RK and Madhu - for several seconds. He didn't feel any anger, any restlessness, and sense of injustice. Her eyes had no questions, no accusations. There was passion, devotion and innocence, but it was too deep for Rishabh to fully comprehend. What there was, overwhelmingly, was peace and compassion. Suddenly, Rishabh felt he had come home.

"Madhubala ahaan!" he said. 

And then, he smiled. He really smiled.

teekay thumbnail
Part 2

She saw him smile. It wasn't just a smile, it was a smile from his heart that sparkled in his eyes. It was a smile that made her so happy, she smiled back. It was the smile that united them.

Tonight, Madhu had walked into RK's room finally prepared to reveal herself and confront him. And yet, she almost hadn't. The brief conversation with him convinced her there was really no need for her to announce her existence and cause disturbances in his life. He probably did not remember her. He most likely did not care for her. He definitely did not need her. She had come here, ostensibly at least, to hand over to him the documents of his property and to make sure the people whose livelihood depended on the haveli - people who had become her extended family - would not lose their jobs. Having accomplished those tasks and having no residual urge to discuss a part of his life Rishabh had probably forgotten, she decided to walk out without another word.

Even though, that part of his life was inextricably linked to her own life. 
She decided she wouldn't say anything, just like she hadn't all these years. She had never blamed him for anything, and she had lived a reasonably good life, in her own estimation, mostly because of him even if he didn't know about it. Yes, she wanted to know him - he had occupied all her thoughts all her life, so her curiosity was natural. Yes, she had felt a pang when she first saw him the previous day, when Baburam kaka had come running to her saying he had come home. Yes, she felt hope when Baburam kaka told her that Rishabh had never married, oops, remarried - even though she sort of knew that already, following his Bollywood career. And yes, she had been restless all day since she had seen him hurt himself in the balcony in the morning. She was a human being, after all, and this was the first time in her life she was physically this close to seeing the man whose name had been attached to hers since the day she had her oldest memories. She was raised to be his wife. She was taught to dream his dreams. And he had truly become the hero of her dreams when she was 12 and he convinced her parents to let her study. 

When he left - no, when he decided he didn't believe in their so-called marriage - she felt a sense of loss, but she wasn't exactly sure of what she had lost. Her marriage was only a theoretical concept to her at that point. Yet, everyone around her was devastated. They were crying and they were cursing her, though she didn't know what she did to become an evil omen overnight. She had never felt so unwanted and rejected, but she didn't blame Rishabh for it, because what she was suffering was the rejection from her own family and community, not him. She blamed them. Until, Ma came and took her with her. She called her her daughter and she brought her here, to her house. She asked her what she wanted, and when she said she wanted to study medicine, she let her. For the first time, she had the power of choice regarding her own life. She was happy, and so she forgave everyone who had hurt her knowingly or unknowingly including Rishabh. Yet, she was inextricably linked to him. She lived in his house and loved his mother more than her own. She wore a sindoor and mangalsutra that bore his name, exactly the way she had all her life. Every day, she came and cleaned his room and replaced his pictured with newer ones as he reached the heights of stardom. It was hard to say if she loved him - there really wasn't much between the two of them as individuals for there to have been a true chance at love - but she certainly was devoted to him. And that's the way it was going to be, for the rest of her life. It was a good life, to her, even though she was never going to have a shot at love and a family like most girls she knew did. Yet, she had education, independence and a chance to help those around her through her skills. That was more than most girls ever had. So she had made her peace with life. 

Until, of course, Rishabh walked into the haveli. Seeing him and observing from a distance how pained he looked, pained her heart. Go talk to him, Baburam kaka had said the first night he was here. But she wasn't sure if she should. He was still in grief over losing his mother, she could see, and she didn't want to complicate his emotions. And then, this morning when she hid behind the curtain trying to see if RK was ok from the injury, she overheard him tell Baburam kaka how much he hated her, their marriage and blamed everything that was wrong in his life on her. That really shook her. She didn't know where the pain came from, though, because she had always known that Ma had disowned RK after he moved to the city and she had always known he didn't want anything to do with their marriage. Perhaps hearing it aloud with the hatred in his voice had made it real for her. 

In any case, the initial pang of pain subsided in a few hours, and she was confident she would get over it. But then, the question of the Haveli and all its people forced her to see him, to find out if there was anyway she could save them. She had planned to tell him everything, but once she walked in there and talked to him, she didn't feel the need to assert her existence into Rishabh's life. 

But then, when he caught her hand and looked into her eyes with traces of recognition, she didn't want to deny it either. She didn't move away or removed his hand. He wasn't a stranger, after all. He was her husband.

"Madhubala, ahaan!" he said, and he smiled. He looked...happy. And even though Madhu didn't fully understand the reason behind this changed demeanor, she felt happy as well...for him. 

"Yes. Madhubala Rishabh Kundra." she said, even though he wasn't really asking a question. Still, there was no shame to her in saying her name. He was a part of her identity, for better or for worse. And even if their marriage meant nothing in his eyes and those of the law, it was still her identity. Nobody could take that away. 

"You..."he said dreamily, as he raised his hand and touched her face by her knuckles. The slight brush sent shivers down her spine and she looked downwards to hide an involuntary blush. He was inches away, and she could feel his breathe. Suddenly, inexplicably, her heart began to race. Yes, he was a handsome man - she had seen her pictures every day of  her life, she knew millions of girls swooned over him, and she had seen him romance beautiful women in movies - yet, she had never felt this way. With that lightest of touched and a gaze that was penetrating through her, he was making her go weak at the knees. "Madhu.."he said, his voice husky.

Suddenly, realization dawned and Madhu took a step back.
"Umm...yes. You seem to have remembered. I am that girl with whom you were...umm...but never mind. I am not here to create any trouble. You don't have to worry about me."
"But I don't understand. You're here?"
"Ma brought me here ten years ago. I lived here as a daughter. She made me study, and she let me build a career. I helped out at the haveli, and after her...I mean since you weren't here, I was taking care of running everything. But now you're back, so, I guess I am not needed. Anyway, I have a good life here. And I hope you have a good life too." she explained, and then turned to leave.

Rishabh was still under shock from the revelations, and stood rooted at his spot trying to process everything he had learnt in the last few months. That girl, that girl he had hated all his life was...this girl. And then when he looked up, he saw her leaving the room and suddenly, he felt as if his own life was deserting him. 

"Madhu, wait" he said, and she turned back.
"Don't go. Don't leave me."

(One week later)

Madhu looked at herself in the mirror and thought how her entire life had changed in only a week, and what an emotional roller coaster it had been. She remembered the way Rishabh's voice had sounded when he asked her to not leave. Her feet refused to move after that, and in retrospect, she was glad they didn't. She was glad she said yes when Rishabh asked if they could talk. She was touched when he apologized for his rash, one-sided decision of breaking off their relationship without any consideration for her feeling or its impact on her. She was happy she said yes when he asked her if they could be friends. She was hopeful when he said he was going to stay in Kuldhara longer. She was amazed when, the following day, he asked her about herself - her life, her feelings - and then listened in a way nobody can. She was moved to tears when he told her his own story and how broken he had felt. She was shocked when he enveloped her in her arms and cried for his mother. She was terrified when she realized she had never felt so cozy, so secure before as she did in his arms. She was so terrified she had run back to her room and cried, because for the first time she had realized what she had lost all those years ago when her marriage ended. She felt brave, when the following day, she hid her emotions and decided to be a good friend to Rishabh till the end of his visit anyway. She felt proud when he marveled at her work at the charity hospital. She felt grateful when he told her he was never going to sell the haveli, and she could always live and work here. She felt lighter and brighter than she had ever felt in her life, when she spent those three days with him - talking endlessly, laughing on little things, sharing stories each of Kuldhara's hidden corner and becoming really good friends. She felt heartbroken the night before he was supposed to leave back for Mumbai and willed herself to say goodbye. She felt ecstatic when, instead of leaving he returned from the door, bent on a knee in front of her, and asked her if she would marry him, again. And then, she felt true passion when he enveloped her in his arms and kissed her until they both lost breathe. 

It had been two days, but that first kiss was still fresh on her lips. Every inch in her body was yearning for him, and she had laughed when he had whispered exactly the same thing to her in her ears, yesterday. She looked in her mirror, and dressed up as a beautiful bride, Madhubala Rishabh Kundra blushed red. It had been a rapid roller-coaster, these last seven days, and her life had altered beyond recognition, but Madhu suspected her destiny wanted to make amends for all the years that preceded this week at a fast-forward pace.

Because finally, after an interminable wait - thought Madhu as she stepped down the huge haveli staircase and saw her groom, her Rishabh, arriving at the doorstep to escort her - finally, her Rishabh had come home.

...Tum aa gaye ho, noor aa gaya hai

Edited by teekay - 9 years ago
Crazy_Arshi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
wonderful
Loved it
Liked the way they handle their relation as both wanted to
be togetherEdited by Crazy_Arshi - 9 years ago
varshajoshi17 thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
Wow i had asked for prequel n i think it was perfect awesome dear
candle_light thumbnail
Anniversary 9 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
I do wish to read sequal to this os
thanks for posting
it is beautiful😊
bokul thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 9 Thumbnail + 3
u brought out the emotions so well ðŸ˜Š
sweetdear thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Great story !! Wish you could add an epilogue to this sweetest story ðŸ˜‰
noiseygirl thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 2 Thumbnail
taru again I fall in luv with this story
Jyoraj thumbnail
Anniversary 10 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Part 2 was a perfect sequel to the beautiful story.
Madhu's feelings were very well written. Please write a epilogue to it.