Apologetic attitude towards strength

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 9 years ago
Why?
Why do we have a rather apologetic attitude towards strength? Being sure, having goals, being dogged in pursuit of something? 

Why apologetic about aggression?

Especially if it is a woman in question!

I notice films and TV even putting men in similar category. Ambitious or driven means bad. Observant means bad. Unassuming and "innocent" to the point of being foolish and endangering onself means "good"!

Even in films like Trishul and Deewar there is a constant attempt to show the hero's trauma, vulnerability through scenes with mother, sibling and lover.

Aggression can be positive also.  It is not always negative. Everything depends on the way you channelise and tap into it.

Since June there is attempt to show Durga weak, confused, vulnerable,  double minded. Similar flashbacks are also repeated again and again. She is asked to give it all up. 

I rarely see a man being asked to give up his path. If it happens then response is aggressive and the male rather proves concerns of others as seflish and frivolous (check out Zanjeer).

Male upholds fight for the right and calls turning face away as cowardice and selfishness.

Whereas female is made to feel apologetic or pitiable for having any purpose in life.

I watched Khoon bhari maang today and I noticed constant remarks on heroine's dress, behaviour by the second lead hero. Her compassion for even animals is constantly highlighted as if to convince audience again and again that she is not bad at heart. Torture for even her kids is heightened to make her look justified in her revenge. 

Never seen such constant explanation for a male's quest for a fight or revenge. 

Rarely seen a male lead asked to back off. Or simply get married, have kids and take family out for picnics, drop kids to school. Never seen calls to support either. But for a female lead it is said she better seek support of a man. Either give up. Or achieve goals with "help".

The climax in KBM has Rekha mostly fighting alone. But the director couldn't resist making her vulnerable at one point and having second lead rescue her in nick of the time. She resumes fight again but it was facilitated by a man who saved her.
But you will rarely ever find a movie or scene in which woman somehow helps a man in his fight or rescues him.

In real life, it is not possible for either man or woman to be army in himself/herself. Or take on people single handedly, avenge every wrong.

But if man can be made superhero in fantasies then why not woman in fantasies? It is a fantasy after all!

Men are unqualified superheroes. Women superheroines have "conditions" and explanations attached. 

Simply put for a man it is shame to give up. For a woman it is pitiable or shame to carry on!

In this serial it is clear why marriage track has come up. To weaken Durga and throw up more dilemma for her. How do I go against my husband? My in laws? My actions are contrary to the vows I took around the sacred fire! 

I can almost visualise those sanctimonious scenes!

It is a shame that heroes are enmeshed in chains constantly and unbridled strength, focus, clarity is associated only with villains.

It seems as a culture we uphold oppression, being oppressed and escapist attitude if we are so apologetic on being goal oriented and determined to get things done a certain way.

On through my phone, so I'll post a shorter reply right now and a longer one later.

To begin with, oppression, especially in our country is a major result of the patriarchy. And when we haven't been able to tackle the latter, questioning the former is simply stupid.

Coming from a country where a woman is accused of illiciting rape, every other logical thing is simply out of bounds. Forget trying to justify revenge for women, isn't it common for tv shows and movies to showcase any woman wearing a suit/saree as a protagonist. Wear a skirt or a sleeveless blouse, and you are automatically assumed to be a vamp.

In Cocktail, Saif's character was never asked to change, Deepika's character was termed a wh**e and the third one (forgettable at best) was an angel. Stereotypical Indian thinking. Because the latter one prays, Saif has to fall for her, his mother likes her and Deepika has to try to change. Ermm...wasn't Saif the one bedding her character? How is he never asked to do shit?

On a personal level, I had a love marriage and God only knows all the taunts I have beared. Was it such a crime? Lord, it certainly felt so after the taunts and moral policing. Specifically for me. Never to him. It's stupid and I would have killed someone if not for my husband. 4.0 GPA student all through my life, wore short skirts and stuff, started driving at an age of 16 and got myself a car independently at age 19. In our country, I was a rebellious kid who "would shame her family". Everywhere else I lived, I was a nerd valedictorian.

The fact of the matter is, in our country in the name of culture and tradition, we've got these preconceived notions of what a woman can and cannot do. Men have nothing to do in those things apparently, other than propagating the stupid idea further. It's not right, we can question it on a daily basis, but could we bring about a change? Looking at the past centuries or so, I don't know.

Durga and Rekha's character in Khoon Bhari Maang have been shown to have these flashbacks and justifications because they have to show some level of remorse or else they'll look too much like the vamps on television. And the makers have to please the aunties who for example rain lathis on couples who go to parks together. For them, "Oh My God! Yeh ladki uss ladke ko maaf karke shaadi kyun nahi kar leti kisi se! Kyun apni zindagi barbaad kar rahi hai" is the response other than "Iss besharam ke saath toh aisa hi hona chahiye. Zindagi barbaad kar di un ladkiyon ki".

Comparison between the characters is poignant. Sakshi feels very little remorse as compared to Durga. The makers are probably trying to accentuate the humanity in Durga.

Edited.

It is a very common mistake to equalize physical weakness of women with their mental strength. Big mistake. Women are strong willed and aggressive. Not cat fight aggressive, rather mentally strong headed. In order for our patriarchy to prevail, it has to be shown that women are in the background and not the front runners of any justice or campaign of any sort. The secret behind a man's success is a woman...because you won't let her become successful.

For me, I have never apologized for being independent, aggressive, or anything else. But I also haven't been the most loved person for the "indian" people championing "tradition and Indian values". The makers don't want Durga to be unliked by the aforementioned people.Edited by natkhat_angel - 9 years ago
well first of all im against this marriage track there are many ways to take revenge why marriage 😲 (specially when you know the man is none other than rapist ) but I think we might get It and yes as you said later durga will turn out to be like other vulnerable women who will be confused and sorry state , before the show start there was article  that she might be weak later and in confuse state thinking about her revenge again  so don't know where this track is going , I would rather prefer durga marrying dev if cv,s are so keen in making her mrs goenka , but  not shaurya
@natkhat_angel
I can understand. 

A relative had been divorced. Everybody tried to paint him innocent. But blamed his wife. Though in reality it was he who used to remain out, he who would get drunk, he who neglected his wife as she stayed on and served his family for years. 

Woman is at receiving end of blame! Always!😡

I know how they belittle achievement. My parents had thrown a party jointly for my birthday and for topping class. The female colleagues of my mom asked "what else" I did besides studies and extracurricular activities. Did I cook or clean? When my mom replied kids are busy in studies these days and there is no time to make rotis. They scoffed and told her all certificates meant nothing as ultimately girls had to do ghar ka kaam only. 

I remember feeling really angry that day.

Some also used to say girls should not be too tall. They would comment on my height saying itni kaafi hai.🤢

People have warped mindset.

But then films or shows can set better examples.

Like Guide is very progressive for its time and even today's times.

It was a hit and a classic.

So why can a serial not be a trailblazer instead of following beaten track?

As far as strength is concerned on physical level,  I think men's strength is too exaggerated as they fight 10 men or stop trains and cars with one hand. What is wrong if a tough woman is shown?

I prefer smart ways like karate, use of innovative self defense (pepper spray,  jackets that give electric shock to attacker etc). Many self defense devices have come up for women now. Their use should be shown.

I did enjoy watching heroines beat up everyone in Seeta Aur Geeta and Chaalbaaz. Good fun. Not as exaggerated as superhero fights of men who stop trains! 

If cinema and TV can make nudity and cussing acceptable then why not egalitarian portrayal of women?

That said I find them showing even men as abla in name of goodness and glorifying suffering. As if fighting is the last step one would take!
I agree that Durga should be shown knowing some form of self-defense. Especially considering that she knows exactly how depraved and physically aggressive Shuraya and his gang are. If I was Durga I would make sure I had trained enough to be a least if worst came to worst be able to fight them off long enough to escape from their clutches. Desi soaps are extremely regressive when it comes to showing strong female leads. People say Western shows corrupt Asian mindsets but their simply light years ahead of us when it comes to woman empowerment. Whilst India was watching Tulsi revere her cheating hubby Mihir as Ram incarnate in KSBKBT America was showing Buffy physically whooping her vampire boyfriends a** in Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Also the producer of Buffy always stated he deliberately cast the petite Sarah Michelle Geller in the main role as he wanted to completely convert the stereotype of Holywood portrayal if the defenceless little bloud girl.

To be fair even Bollywood gets it right sometimes. Does anyone remember the mid nineties hit Dushman with Kajol? There she was shown as revenge obbessed sister out for justice after her twin was vicisiously raped and murdered. Sound familiar?! There were lots if differences in that film compared to EHT though, such as the rapist not being a spoilt, wealthy and attractive brat. Rather he was cold, manipulative, skin crawling pervert who preyed ruthlessly upon helpless women purely to satisfy his gratious needs. The best part of the film though was hero (brilliantly acted by Sanjay Dutt) wasn't cast just to save the heroine. Rather he relentlessly taught her self-defense and gave her both the physical and mental strength required to hunt down her sisters killer. Also the grand finale shows the hero failing to protect the heroine and how finally she realises she has to be the one to fight. And boy does she. At the end of the film the police force are shown hailing her as an example for all women to follow in her footsteps. It's a shame desi soaps didn't.

Edited by suki11 - 9 years ago
I agree Anu. Some of the things you have mentioned I have faced in life too. There were questions on why my dad allowed me to do engineering as I may not get a educated groom as I belong to a community where most guys take up family business after 10th or 12th. if by any chance they are highly educated their parents prefer brides from rich family with lot of dowry. I simply couldn't understand what was the relation with my studies and getting a groom for me.
I did go ahead completed my graduation got a job, now have a successful career and mind you I am married to a very nice man who is also professionally qualified.

But to be frank to bring a change you have to walk a tough path. I did walk a bit of conservative path so that myth around professionally qualified girls can go away which opened way for many more girls from my community to get a professional degree, better qualification and a say in their life.

I believe if you want a life live it the way you want. But if you really want to be a change agent, then you will have to make some adjustments, stick to some stereotypes while arguing for your point. I can easily wear a salwar for pooja and say this is my choice. But if I go a wearing a saree, I can make someone else see my POV as they will be able to connect to the person in front of them and trust them.

For me the biggest achievement was not I reached where I am, but I have been trusted enough by many people to allow their daughters to have a better life. When I see the girl's message or mail whose life I have influenced I forget the minor pains I have to undergo while trying to be conservative.

You have to be one among them to bring the real change is my policy. And strength of a woman it is inside her. She is the real Shakthi who holds the power. The hand that rocks the cradle really rule the world if the woman realizes the power within and uses it in the right direction.
Edited by shruthiravi - 9 years ago