Talking about people’s weight/appearance

Posted: 17 years ago
All right, ladies and gentlemen.  I keep seeing this all over India-Forums and from time to time I have reprimanded people for talking about about people's weight.  Now, I want to put it forth to you.

Is it ok to talk about actors/actresses' weight?  Is it ok to say that someone is ugly? 

I have been a member of India-Forums for almost two years now.  The reasons India-Forums doesn't allow discussions about actor/actresses' weight or their looks is because what if an actor/actress were to visit India-Forums and they see that we are just slandering them.  They won't want to come back and neither will they encourage other actors and actresses to come visit us.  We wouldn't have Raam Kapoor here.

I also feel that when we are discussing shows, we should not talk about how ugly or fat an actor is because it bears no relevance to the show.  There are so many times that I visit a section and there is discussion about who is hotter which is all good and dandy, but 10 discussions about the same thing is annoying. 

Finally, I feel that if I saw a post saying, "jprasad is so fat," it means that we are just focusing on someone's looks rather than their talent.  For those who suffer from low self esteem they will feel that looks are everything and their future doesn't rely on their talent rather their looks.

What your thoughts?  Is it ok to talk about actors and actresses's weight and the way they look on India-Forums?

Originally posted by jprasad

it means that we are just focusing on someone's looks rather than their talent.  For those who suffer from low self esteem they will feel that looks are everything and their future doesn't rely on their talent rather their looks.

well said👏

its true some members only focus on looks, all actors and actress are beautiful and handsome in there own way. For some people SRK might be ugly and for others he might be cute, don't get me wrong as I am a big SRK fan. When a director looks for someone to act in a show she/he looks for both talent and looks. If u vist some forum like kaisa Ye Pyar Hai and Saat Phere then u get to see the negativity members have against actors and actress looks.

sry if I have said anything rude😊

Tv is a visual medium,and looks do matter.. ...One doesnt want to watch behenjis on TV
Hello i thought that T.V and Bollywood was for Entertainment. And how do u think people will love watching fat ugly people on T.V and movies. I think this one point where hollywood is just ahead of us Indian. Instead to finding excuses just get you butt to the gym.
No Pain No Gain!!!!!Edited by pooja_4lamba - 17 years ago
Originally posted by pooja_4lamba

Hello i thought that T.V and Bollywood was for Entertainment. And how do u think people will love watching fat ugly people on T.V and movies. I think this one point where hollywood is just ahead of us Indian. Instead to finding excuses just get you butt to the gym.
No Pain No Gain!!!!!

i disagree w/u here!

If ur talking about fat/ugly guys on big screen n we not watching them then think back to old, golden days!..when every single actor/actress were fat! Such as Raj Kapoor, Shammi Kapoor, Rajesh Khanna, Dharmendra, Nutan, Nargis, Asha Parekh, Rishi Kapoor, n the list goes on and on!

I think fatness never mattered in today's generation either...if it did, then Madhavan wouldn't have been appreciated in RDB.

I think its how u act that matters, not ur weight.😊

No Pain No Gain!!!!!

so r u sayin that if ur fat, ur also ugly?

and these days, ppl are on a labellin spree, anyone who looks normal is "fat". does get annoying

ok, what would most people prefer?

this skinny chik who knows zilch about acting, and is at the same time sendin the wrong msg to today's youth OR a relatively chubby person, with damn good acting skills?

and anyways, some people CANNOT reduce their weight. why is that so hard to understand? some people just cant! it's genetic!!

and if the public spoke up on these issues, it'd be for the good of society. what happnd in the Madrid fashion show is the first step towards normalcy.

Who says it's all about looks?? Society? But...WE make up society!! so we have to change these superficial notions!

Originally posted by ~Pachu*n*Abhi~

i disagree w/u here!

If ur talking about fat/ugly guys on big screen n we not watching them then think back to old, golden days!..when every single actor/actress were fat! Such as Raj Kapoor, Shammi Kapoor, Rajesh Khanna, Dharmendra, Nutan, Nargis, Asha Parekh, Rishi Kapoor, n the list goes on and on!

I think fatness never mattered in today's generation either...if it did, then Madhavan wouldn't have been appreciated in RDB.

I think its how u act that matters, not ur weight.😊

Good Point! if it were all about that, then we would have missed out on such great talent...OMG imagine it...how bad would SHOLAY have been if all the actors were too "fat" to act?!!?😆

Ok guys. I gave my point of view so does not matter what u agree or not does it!

Ok guys. I gave my point of view so does not matter what u agree or not does it!

😆

it's a discussion, and there are always two sides to everything. what matters is every1 sharing their 2 cents

Originally posted by kisnakiradha

😆

it's a discussion, and there are always two sides to everything. what matters is every1 sharing their 2 cents

😆😆😆

Yes I agree with you on this and all your other points👏👏👏

I would definitely find it very hurtful and discouraging to have people commenting on my looks and considering the way bashing can get on IF- I probably would run away with a broken heart😭

But the point is still that people care about looks- 😕 Why beauty matters so much- who knows😕 But the fact remains that people would rather watch bad acting from someone who looks like John Abraham than good acting by someone who looked like Rishi Kapoor. 😕 And I am not saying that John is a bad actor- I am just using his appearance as an example.

I think we are getting away from the topic anywayyyyyy-- the question is should we be allowed to comment on people's looks or specifically celebrities' looks on IF---

My answer: NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! OMG I would like to see everyone single one of you who bash another actor/actress to go look in the mirror. Half of the time people start insulting others for traits they possess themselves😕 They say you only insult another person because it makes you feel good...I mean what can you get out of insulting someone for their appearance? Does it make you feel good because you dont have that particular 'bad' trait? What reason do you have for insulting another person??😕 Someone plz explain to me what you gain by making fun of someone. You think you seem cool and confident?🤔 Not in my book....