‘I always wanted to be an actress’

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 17 years ago

Why did you quit Kahiin To Hoga?
(Laughs) I've been doing it for over three years and the feeling of saturation had begun to set in. I also felt that there wasn't much for me to do. So I decided to move on.

Was there a problem regarding you quitting the show?
Not at all. It was a very amicable parting. I have no problems with Balaji at all. I'd still take up another serial with them if they have something interesting to offer me. My character, Mehak, was important but it was getting monotonous. My role had stopped giving me satisfaction. So I felt it's best to quit it rather than do a show I didn't want to be a part of. Besides, I was offered Tumhari Disha in which I was to play the lead role. It was a tempting offer I couldn't resist.

What role are you playing in Tumhari Disha?
The serial has taken a leap and I'm playing Kaamna. The show is winding up soon as it hasn't been given an extension. Now I'm looking for fresh projects. Something new will be finalised soon. I'm looking for substantial meaty roles. They don't necessarily have to be lead roles. What's important is that the character has to make a difference to the show.

How does it feel being a Balaji discovery?
It feels great and I'm very happy that I was a part of Kahiin... That was the best thing to have happened to me just after I arrived from Pune. The show gave me a lot of popularity.

Usually, Balaji actors don't go in for outside projects!
I felt I should try something different. Today, I feel that there are several good shows which are being made. My priority is the role not the production house.

You've had a change of husband in Kahiin ...
(Laughs) It didn't really affect my acting because the camaraderie on the sets is very good. I got along with both Eijaz and Manish. Manish and I shared a good chemistry so it wasn't difficult to relate to him. Besides, he's playing my son in Tumhari Disha so it didn't really matter.

How did you get into acting?
I've always wanted to be an actress. Television was really happening then. I'd also done theatre for a while. I was looking out for work. I got a call to audition for Mehak's role and got selected. I've also done a couple of other shows for Balaji. My track in each lasted for 2-3 months.

How about films?
It's not like I don't want to do films but I won't go looking for work in films. I'm more interested in television. I'm more comfortable with this medium.

Do the stories about Bollywood put you off?
Not really, I feel it's all about how you conduct yourself. I guess I'm just plain lazy.

Any other plans?
I'd love to continue acting on television but would also like to try my hand at something else. I've not yet decided what it will be. I want to do different things to see what else I'm capable of.

Your co-star in Kahiin..., Dimple Hirji also happens to be your best friend in real life!
(Laughs) Yeah, we hit it off pretty well on the sets. Although I share a good rapport with all my co-stars, I don't share that kind of friendship with anyone else. Dimple and I have been friends for almost a year. We hang out together, think alike and find many similar things funny. The best part is that I get along very well with her mother too.

Do you miss your family a lot, you keep going to Pune very often?
My parents have shifted to Pune. I go there at the end of the month to meet them. But for most of the time, I regard Mumbai as my home. I've grown up here.

Do you have a boyfriend?
No, I haven't met anyone I'd want to be with. I don't think the concept of Mr. Right exists and so I don't have illusions of Mr. Right. But I'd like someone honest, self-made, decent
looking, and with a good sense of humour.

How would you like to see yourself five years from now?
A success story on television (laughs) and also doing something else besides acting.

http://cybernoon.com/DisplayArticle.asp?section=xtras&su bsection=showbuzz&xfile=August2006_tvtrack_standard297&a mp;child=tvtrack