Archieved Articles-- (NO COMMENTS) - Page 2

Posted: 17 years ago
Interview: GAUTAM RODE
http://www.gmagazine.com/magazine/october2005/images/Gautam- 1.jpg

http://www.gmagazine.com/magazine/october2005/images/Gautam- A.jpg

http://www.gmagazine.com/magazine/october2005/images/Gautam- B.jpg
The 'Me' Man!
Women just love his company. Twenty-eight-year-old Delhite, Gautam Rode is a cute Punjabi lad who plays 'Me' in the film U, Bomsi & Me. Living in Mumbai for the past six years, he has made a name for himself. And is set to achieve a bigger one.
Isn't film U, Bomsi & Me your third film?
No, it's my second. I began with Anarth as an undercover cop with a starcast like Suneil Shetty, Sanjay Dutt and Preity Jhangiani. I have also done a movie titled Wow that was shot in London with director Raju Kher, Anupam Kher's brother. The movie is complete and I play the lead in it. It should be released very soon. That will be my third film. The movie is made by Spice Tree Entertainment, the very company that produced Chocolate.
What else have you done?
I began my career doing TV commercials like Close- up, Ruffles, Centerfresh, Lifebuoy, Toyota, Titan, and many more, not forgetting the famous Coke commercial I did with Aamir Khan (the one with the Sherpa). I've also done scores of music videos. The last I did was singer Abhijeet's video. Abhijeet the Bollywood playback singer! His album was called 'Tere Bina' where I did six music videos. The album got an award at the MTV Asia Awards in Singapore. I think that really got me international fame. After that I did two more videos including 'Chod do acchal' by Abhijeet on T- Series. Recently I shot for a video for an old Shammi Kapoor song that has been remixed. I've also done three videos for Agan Nigam Kumar's album (Sonu Nigam's dad).
Did you always want to enter films?
No, never! It's just that when I came to Mumbai I began modelling for ad films and that's how this career in films came my way. In fact, my parents are in Delhi and my father was a broker and a member of the Delhi Stock Exchange, so I thought that even I would enter the same line. But it so happened that he retired and closed his business. So since I was a B. Com graduate and didn't want to study further, I decided to take up ad films in a bid for survival when I came to Mumbai. I didn't have any godfather around to help me, but I struggled and came up the hard way. Soon people started appreciating my performances, my talent for acting and one thing led to another and now I am full with offers around.
What character are you playing in U, Bomsi & Me?
I play the character 'Me' who is known as Sam Mac Patel, a half Gujarati-half Punjabi radio Jockey who also wants to be a writer and a famous one at that. The movie is about three married guys, U, Bomsi & Me, who work in an FM station as Operations, Sales and Programming heads respectively. All three of us are in our first three years of marriage. The story revolves around how best to deal with conflicts in married life and with professional pressures. This is coupled with the fact that we have a short, pot bellied, bald and bachelor boss who seems to have all the fun dating tall girls and driving fancy cars, which we all feel is not fair. It's a really funny Hinglish musical comedy about three couples who resolve to solve out conflicts by exploring romance within our married lives. In short, you could say it's about relationships and finding love within marriage.
How did you bag this role?
I knew a friend who was an assistant with this film and he told me about this movie. He put in a word and I got to meet the producer and director. They showed me the script and put me through an audition. The next thing I knew, I was selected for the movie.
Did you get a chance to choose your character or were you forced onto something you did not like?
Actually, I was first given the script. I went through it and then asked them if I could play Sam's character (i.e. Me) and they agreed. In fact, it so happened that they had the other characters already lined up and were looking out for someone to play Sam.
How do you like your role as a Disc Jockey? Ever been one?
I liked the role very much. I have to be chirpy as a radio jockey and it's okay since I am the same in my real life. When I got the script I really liked it very much. We rehearsed for four or five days and then went on to shoot the film. The film is approximately 1 hour 45 minutes long.
You are also into television serials?
Yes. I act in a serial called Baa Bahu aur Baby (Star Plus) which airs everyday at 10.00 pm. I play the lead character. I play an NRI who comes from abroad and lands into a Gujarati family. The plot is all about how the family starts liking me etc. I plan to stick to TV serials for sometime until I sign big banners. Anyway, television serials are as big as films. It will only be time before I make it really big on the big screen one day. Let's see how U, Bomsiā€¦ does at the box-office, then I'll really know where I stand.
Do you think it will be received well by audiences?
It's a cool film. There's a lot of hard work gone into its making. It's very light and has a simple storyline to it so it's easy to understand and at the same time will be fun to watch.
About Gautam Rode:

name : gautam rode

weight : 75 kg.

height : 5.9"

hair : black

eyes : black

chest : 43" "

waist : 32" "

hips : 32" "
Most debutante directors opt for stories that are easily identifiable. U, BOMSI N ME, directed by Jairaj Padmanabhan, is one such film. The story as well as the characters are the sort that one witnesses in day-to-day life, but the problem with the film is that it rests on a thin plot.

All that U, BOMSI N ME does is talk of three married men and the problems each face with their respective spouses. And they overcome the odds much before the film concludes. You expect some twists in the tale, especially towards the pre-climax [like most Indian films], but nothing of the sort happens.

Though U, BOMSI N ME has been shot well and perhaps the urban audiences may even identify with the goings-on, the story is ideally suited for the television format. The movie-going audiences, even in big cities, lack the patience to absorb a theme that's too simplistic and spiceless.

Raghavan or Rags [a Tamilian; Vivek Madan] is clumsy, loves watching cricket and drinking beer. He is married to Raji [Kranti Redkar], a statistics lecturer who hates cricket and is obsessive about cleanliness.

Bomsi [Bobby Bahal] is an aggressive, chain-smoking guy [a Parsi] who wants to be rich and buy a house in a Parsi colony. He is married to Shenaaz [Vidya Malvade], a salesperson in a fashion magazine who wants to have a baby. But they are unable to conceive.

Sam Mac Patel [half Gujju-half Punju; Gautam Rode] is a radio jockey who wants to be a writer and a famous one at that. He is married to Monica [Sonal Sehgal], an airhostess and hence always traveling. When they are together, Sam wants to go out while Monica wants to cuddle up with Sam and watch mushy movies. Because of long days of separation, they sometimes suspect each other of infidelity.

Rags, Bomsi and Sam work in an FM radio station called Radio Jalva as Operations, Sales and Programming heads, respectively and are in their first three years of marriage. The story revolves around them trying their best to deal with the conflicts in their married lives and their professional pressures.

In essence, U, BOMSI N ME reminds you of the male bonding of DIL CHAHTA HAI. But the problem lies in its screenplay, which offers a few interesting sequences, besides the pace that fluctuates like the sensex.

A few individualistic sequences have been expertly handled, especially the humorous ones. But the humor is the type that would appeal more to the elite than a commoner [although the story is of three commoners]. Another problem with the film is its pacing, which gets too slow and cumbersome in the post-interval portions.

Debutante director Jairaj Padmanabhan seems to know the technicalities of film-making right, but he ought to know that the viewer years for a spell-binding story at the end of the day. To keep the viewer hooked for two hours should be uppermost on any storyteller's mind, which Padmanabhan must learn to rectify in his forthcoming endeavors. Music is pleasant and the songs come at the right places. Cinematography [Hari Nair] is of standard.

U, BOMSI N ME stars new faces mainly, but the performances are devoid of rawness. The three men -- Gautam Rode, Bobby Bahal and Vivek Madan -- are complete natural.

Gautam, who made his debut in ANNARTH [with Sanju, Suniel], has evolved as an actor. He is excellent in [emotional] sequences when his wife walks out on him. Bobby is first-rate, very lovable as a simple Parsi. The actor gets into the skin of the character and delivers a fine performance. Vivek is a revelation. The actor, who had a substantial role in KAL - YESTERDAY & TOMORROW, is tremendous in this film as well.

Vidya Malvade is admirable as a woman who craves to have a baby. Sonal Sehgal and Kranti Redkar are competent as well. Kenny Desai [as the boss] is able.

On the whole, U, BOMSI N ME is more for the elite/metro viewer than the commoner. At the box-office, the film has been released without any hype or hoopla whatsoever, which will make the effort go unnoticed. The generous usage of English language will also curtail its reach.

Gautam Rode is a well known name in the modelling scenario. He is the boy next door who has been righ there on television in some commercials or other. Or you may have come across his face in magazines or hoardings selling out a product. Starting with Close-up toothpaste and centre fresh ads, he went on to do ads like ...
Of cooking, praying and some stock-taking
HT TEAM
November 1

Advertisement

YESTERDAY'S VOTING marked the end of the hectic part of the poll story. Counting still some days away, some mayoral candidates used this much-needed short break to reenergize themselves, while others kept themselves busy with party work. HT takes a peek into what the mayoral aspirants did on the day after.

Ravindra Patni Bharatiya Janata Party

After cooking the poll strategy for the party over the last fortnight, post-election day Patni headed straight to the kitchen to cook some palatable stuff. He prepared fried rice to fulfil his gastronomic desire.

Patni also went back to his normal grind after getting out of bed at 6.30 am after catching sleep for just two hours.

With electioneering off his back, Patni felt happy to start the home groove. He began his day by taking his daughter to school. Later, he went to visit his mother or 'Chaiji', who is recovering at a nursing home. Patni spent most of the day in attending to his ailing mother. Party members also turned up at the nursing home. From the nursing home, Patni went to the party office at Kaushalpuri. On return, he cooked some spicy fried rice for himself.

Asked about the possible outcome on November 6, Patni said: "It is not wise to speculate on election results. I leave it to God."

Neeraj Chaturvedi Samajwadi Party

Neeraj Chaturvedi started his day by visiting the famous Parmat temple at 11 am. He paid obeisance to Lord Shiv.

From the temple, the SP leader went to the central election office of his party. He met other leaders and discussed events related to polling day. Senior party leaders including Surendra Mohan Agarwal and Virendra Dubey were there.

Meetings over, Chaturvedi went to the Halsi Road office to meet party workers.

In the evening, Chaturvedi went to attend his ailing wife recuperating from dengue at a nursing home.

Badri Narayan Tewari Congress

Hectic activity followed Congress nominee Badri Narayan Tewari even after poll was over yesterday. The religious-minded septuagenarian who rode the political wave of campaigning over the last 20 days was busy calculating his prospects.

After the end of polling, his election managers thronged his house in Shivala to discuss polling trend in each Assembly segments. With data pouring in, they were being analysed to finalise counting-day strategy. All this went on for hours and he couldn't take time off till 4 in the morning.

The moment he got a chance to catch some sleep, news came that a close relative has passed away. In no time, he rushed to the relative's place to offer condolence.

The funeral procession was taken out at 11 am but Tewari couldn't return home till late evening as he had to perform certain rituals.

Saleem Ahmad BSP supported Independent

Bahujan Samaj Party supported young mayoral candidate Saleem Ahmad was available to everyone for the last one month. But 24 hours after polling was over, Ahmad went off the radar. Those who turned up at his residence were told that Salim has gone to meet his old friends and from there he would go for boating.

The man, who might have upset the apple cart of the main contenders, was actually holding a meeting with the BSP think tank.

As the closed-door meet with BSP coordinator KK Gautam continued, guards were told to ward off any trespassers.

Later, the two leaders went to a Naveen Market restaurant for lunch.

STAR Plus gets adventurous with 'Lucky'
Friday, October 20, 2006

Buoyed by the success of 'Kaun Banega Crorepati', STAR Plus came up with quite a few weekend extravaganzas but none matched the TRPs of the Amitabh Bachchan-hosted game show. The channel is hoping to change that with their latest offering 'Lucky - The Fifth Rakshak' that goes on the air Nov 4.

'Lucky' is a weekend special for kids, full of fun with every slot having a new story.

The adventure series is being produced by Sagar Arts Productions, who produced the fictional series 'Hatim' and the historical extravaganza 'Dharti Ka Veer Yoddha - Prithviraj Chauhan'.

Gautam Rode, who is presently working in 'Baa, Bahu Aur Baby' and 'Paraya Dhan', plays the protagonist.

'I play a guy who copies antiques from museums and sells them in the Chor Bazaar at a very high price. One day he finds out that his father was a Rakshak, (saviour of the world) and he has to follow his footsteps. He is appalled at this new twist in life and refuses to be a Rakshak saying his 'job is to con people and not to save them',' Gautam told IANS over the phone from Lucknow.

Gautam is confident youngsters will enjoy the series.

'Lucky is doing everything - from fighting to singing. It is episodic. Every time a new story will be told. It is like a short commercial masala film. In some stories special effects are used. I am sure people will like the effects.'

Manasi Parekh's not just an actor, she's a singer too!

The actor is a part of hubby Parthiv Gohil's fusion band

ROSHNI OLIVERA

Manasi Parekh's India Calling
on Star One has just ended, but she continues to be busy. Not just with her acting assignments, but also with her singing. Manasi's part of her husband Parthiv Gohil's fusion band Akruti. "We were in New York just 10 days ago. We performed at the Times Square," says an excited Manasi, who usually sings thumri and folkbased songs.
   Manasi married Parthiv six months ago and "married life's been great," she says. So did she join the band after she fell in love with Parthiv? Manasi prefers to slip the question. "I do not want to talk about that. It's very personal," she smiles.
   On the acting front she's gearing up for her next show Lucky on Star Plus. She also wants to study further. "I want to pursue media studies. Maybe next years, hopefully. Let's see if I can manage both work and studies."
   Is she also hoping to carve
   out
   an alternative career for herself for the future considering the shelf-life of a TV actor is not very much? "To some extent yes. But talking about shelf-life of a Tv actor, no doubt it is not
   very
   long, But finally it depends from person to person. If an actor is willing to reinvent himself and adapt to the changing times he can go on for long. Looks like Manasi has found her calling.
LUCKY

Star Plus Sat 2000
It's a story about a young man Lucky, who runs a fake antique shop in Chor Bazaar and has the simplest ways of living, ie conning people by selling them fake antiques and actually making them believe, that the artifacts are
genuine. Lucky is a street smart, confident and intelligent character, who loves life the way it comes until he gets to know about the Rakshaks who were born for protecting sacred and priceless treasures and that now he is going to be the chosen one...the fifth Rakshak.

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/
Manasi Parekh

An actor has two choices: to be a small part of a big serial and be talked about, or to give up the big serial and opt for something completely new and untested. Of course, it is tempting to stick to the first option and enjoy fame, but the more daring ones would go for the second option. Manasi Parekh seems to belong to the second category. For starters, Manasi is not such a new face, as she has done roles in Kitni Mast Hai Zindagi and Star Plus' big serial Kasautii Zindagi Kay, in which she played Bajaj's daughter, Cookie (Tanya).
The 21-year-old girl is an English literature graduate and has also done her BA in Indian classical singing. "But now my big project is Chandni in Star One's India Calling," she says excitedly. "I play a small-town girl, who starts working in a call centre, and is quite overwhelmed by the different environment. But she wants to be successful and yet not give her values up."
To land with even an itsybitsy role in an Ekta Kapoor serial is the dream of any aspiring actor. But even though Manasi was a part of it, she chose to quit KZK and do a serial that hasn't even been launched. Professional harakiri? "I know that my serial kick-started because of Ekta Kapoor, but I wanted to do something new and different. For how long can one be stuck with the same stuff ? Moreover, in India Calling, I have a lead role, as opposed to KZK. So, I decided to quit KZK for India Calling. I know that there is a risk involved because the show hasn't been launched yet, but then, I didn't want to give a good serial up worrying about whether it would be a hit or not."
Manasi has also had a formal training in classical singing. "Because of my acting, singing has taken a backseat, but I still do my riyaz for two hours everyday." The girl has lent her voice to a lot of ad jingles and also was one of the background voices in Devdas. The young actor is not ruling anything out, and is open to both singing and acting in serials as well as films, basically anything that she thinks will do justice to her talent.

While surfing on d net I jus found out Vipul n Manasi's chat transcript on INDIATIMES chat n thot I vud share it with u guys

Transcript of LIVE INDIATIMES CHAT with TV actress, Manasi Parekh at 12 noon (IST) on Monday, December 26 2005, in Mumbai

Manasi Parekh
TV actress

"I am a classical singer too and I plan to release a music album next year"

Manu > How did you get into acting? What was your first serial? How did you get the role in it?
Manasi Parekh > My first serial was Kitni Mast Hai Zindagi . Balaji Telefilms had organised a talent hunt where I took part and got selected. That's how I got in to acting.

Szx > Which is your next serial coming soon?
Manasi Parekh > I play the character of 'Chandni' in India Calling. And I am busy with it right now. As of now, there are no new projects.

Chotu > Manasi Didi, I am your big fan? Aapko apna kaun sa serial sabse acha lagta hai ? (Which one of your serials do you like the most?)
Manasi Parekh > Thank you. My favourite is India Calling because I have a very cute role in it.

Buddy > Is it true that you are a classical dancer? Which classical dance do you know? Have you done any performances?
Manasi Parekh > I am not a classical dancer. I am a classical singer. I have performed on stage quite a few times. In fact, I just had a stage show in Surat.

Vins > What is your qualification?
Manasi Parekh > I have done my BA from St. Xavier's College (Mumbai) in English Literature and I have also done my BA in Indian classical music.

Ashu > Which role of yours do you feel is closest to your real self?
Manasi Parekh > Chandni in India Calling, as I can completely relate to the character.

Nikhil joshi > I want your email id please?
Manasi Parekh > [email protected] .

Swaroop_goodboy > Manasi, are you planning to enter Bollywood?
Manasi Parekh > I would only if I get roles which stimulate me creatively. Like the role Vidya Balan had played in Parineeta .

Swaroop_goodboy > Can I know your date of birth?
Manasi Parekh > 10 July.

Abhi > Hi Manasi, you are very sweet and I like your acting? I am a big fan of yours and want to wish you luck and success!
Manasi Parekh > That is so sweet of you. Thank you so much.

Zak_82 > Has being a classical dancer helped you in the industry in any way?
Manasi Parekh > I am not a classical dancer. I am a classical singer. It has helped, as singing is an expression of ones voice, while acting is an expression of ones face and body. So, it helps a lot as both are creative art forms.

Vani > Are you interested in modelling?
Manasi Parekh > Yes, I am and I have done a commercial for a cold cream. A couple of my advertisements will be coming out soon.

Dude > What according to you is the most important thing a person needs to get into for acting?
Manasi Parekh > One of the most important things is self confidence because to be in front of the camera we need to get rid of our inhibitions.

Dude > Why did you choose acting? If not an actress what would you be?
Manasi Parekh > I chose acting as it is a very interesting and creative field. And if not an actress, I would have been a singer. I also took part in the channel V pop stars (contest) and I was one of the six finalists in India. I plan to release a music album next year.

Man11 > Tell us about the off screen Manasi?
Manasi Parekh > The off screen Manasi is very much in to reading and loves to play the guitar whenever she has the time, she is full of life and very ambitious.

Qwr34 > Does casting cough actually exist? Have you experienced it? Please comment on the present scenario.
Manasi Parekh > Well, according to what a lot of people say..... the casting couch does exist. Personally, I believe it all depends on whether the person involved wants it or not. I have never experienced anything like this.

KK > We do not know much about you. Please tell us a little about yourself, your family etc.
Manasi Parekh > I am from Mumbai. I am the only daughter of my parents. I am a Gujarati. I love to eat though it never shows and I believe in having a good time always.

Gauravji > Well Manasi, I have seen your programmes. I have seen your dance also ( Nach Baliye ). Isn't your schedule so hectic?
Manasi Parekh > I did not take part in Nach Baliye . I think you are mistaken. But thanks for the compliment anyway.

Chotu1> Mansi didi, who is your favourite actress in Bollywood?
Manasi Parekh > Rani Mukherjee and Sridevi. Both are very spontaneous when it comes to their acting.

Somu > What is most important to you in your life?
Manasi Parekh > For me, the most important thing in my personal life would be my family and professionally, it would be a very satisfying career in acting and singing.

Sign Off Message > Thank you so much for logging in and please do watch India Calling and give me your feedback. Love, Manasi.

------------------------------------------------------------ --------------------

krazy_heenzJune 4, 2006, 08:02 PM
Vipul Gupta

Transcript of LIVE INDIATIMES CHAT with TV actor, Vipul Gupta at 3pm (IST) on Monday, January 23 2006, in Mumbai

Vipul Gupta
TV actor

"After my MBA I was working for a multi national company. I just wanted to give acting a shot. Thankfully it worked for me"

Lovelikudii > You are a really great actor. I watch your TV serial 'India Calling' and (watch it) only for you. Do you bear any similarities with your character, 'Aditya?' Are you married?
Vipul Gupta > First of all, I want to thank you for appreciating my work. I feel, Aditya is a very contemporary character so there are some shades (in him), which are similar. Like his attitude towards life is like mine. And, I am very much single.

Taniia > Tell us something about your role in the movie Anjaan . Have you signed any more films besides this one?
Vipul Gupta > I am playing a character who is quite mature and is a sensible guy. He doesn't speak much, has seen success and failure in his life. I am doing another film with Red Ice Films. It's called Saturday Night. Starring opposite me is Neha Dubey.

Ishyy > Hi Vvipul, Ishita here. How did you get your first break? I am interested in acting. Can you suggest, and how do I start?
Vipul Gupta > When I came to Mumbai from Delhi, within a month I got to work in a gig commercial for Pears soap and Lakme. I got it through auditions. Slowly, I started getting other commercial projects too. I believe you should start doing your preparations in terms of working on your acting skills, your body, groom yourself and a get a good portfolio made.

Tania > Why did you quit K - street Pali Hill? If you are given an offer by Ekta to act again in one of her serials, will you do it?
Vipul Gupta > I am open to do any good show. It was a mutual decision to quit, as I had my previous commitments and the dates were clashing.

Rekha > Hi Vipul. Was it always your ambition to be an actor? You want to be in films or TV?
Vipul Gupta > It was not always an ambition. I have studied MBA and I was working for a multi national company, besides that I was modeling too. I just wanted to give acting a shot and thankfully it worked for me. I am open to anything good that comes my way, whether it's TV or films.

Tania > How is it working with Manasi Parekh? Who's your favourite co-star?
Vipul Gupta > Manasi is a very hard working girl. It's fun working with her. My favourite co-stars are Neha Dubey, Manasi Parekh, Mehak Chahel, Nisha Sareen ('Dweep' in k street Pali Hill)- all of them, as they have been terrific to work with.

Mikki > Is your character, Aditya going to fall in love with 'Chandni' in Indian Calling ? The two of you are being shown always fighting with each other. When and how is the cupid going to strike?
Vipul Gupta > Wait and watch!

Sony > Hey Vipul, what are your future plans?
Vipul Gupta > I just want to work, work and work, and enjoy my work more.

Rimmi > How did you bag the role of Aditya in India Calling ?
Vipul Gupta > The producers saw my commercial for Siyaram Suitings and I suppose they were looking for someone like me so that's how they called me up. They had already auditioned 400 people before that.

India-backing > You are doing films like Anjaan and Saturday Night with a lesser known cast. Now that you are well known because of your TV role, do you regret signing for such a role? Honest answer please....
Vipul Gupta > The movies are quite good so I don't regret signing them.

Tania > What is it that excited you to sign India Calling ? What is it that usually makes you want to sign a project?
Vipul Gupta > The character of Aditya. It's the package of everything from script to director to the production house, the character and the channel.

Mohan > Anjaan and Saturday Night - do you think they will be a hit with the audience in the theatres? Do these films have a popular appeal?
Vipul Gupta > I know that both are good films, irrespective of their outcome. Let's hope the audiences appreciate it.

Sony > Who is your role model? And please tell me something about your personal life.
Vipul Gupta > I don't have any particular role model. The good qualities of different people, which I try to imbibe is my inspiration. For instance, Aamir Khan for his dedication, my parents for their values etc. When I see a rickshawallah or a labourer, they are struggling but still have a smile on their faces - that inspires me. As a person, I am down-to-earth. I enjoy life. I love traveling. And I am from Delhi.

Jigs > Are you superstitious? Do you believe in astrology and such stuff?
Vipul Gupta > I do believe in astrology. But I am not overtly superstitious.

Kali > If you were marooned on an island, who would you like to be with?
Vipul Gupta > Salma Hayek. She is gorgeous!

Lili > When is your birthday? What do you do in your spare time?
Vipul Gupta > Birthday - 17 Sept. I party a bit, work out and catch up with my friends in my spare time. But working in a daily show, hardly gives me time to do all this (regularly).

Tania > If given a chance, which other television character would you like to play?
Vipul Gupta > I haven't thought about it. You tell me which role you would want to see me in.

Sign Off Message > Enjoy life to the fullest, have fun and make the most of all the time you have -whether good or bad. Life is too short, so enjoy. Love, Vipul.