Archieved Articles-- (NO COMMENTS) - Page 5

Posted: 17 years ago
How Gautam Rode tricked them all!

Nobody recognised this 90-year-old on the sets

ROSHNI OLIVERA

Gautam Rode just had a blast on the sets of his upcoming show Lucky on Star Plus. He managed to fool everyone around. It so happened that Gautam was to play a 90-year old in the show. And he was all ready with his make-up done, waiting for his shot. But, wanting to pull a fast one of people, he sat quietly on one of the chairs. "I really looked like a 90-year old and nobody recognised me. They kept shouting out for me wondering where I'd gone. They didn't realise my make-up was done and there I was amidst them. The best part was when I asked someone for water even he didn't recognise because I spoke like a senior citizen," says Gautam. And when did he finally reveal? "After quite sometime when I realised they were all getting harrowed wondering where their actor was!"
   Gautam's glad with his role in Lucky, a show which is a mix of fantasy and reality. In this show, his 90-year-old get-up is a one off thing. But what does he have to say about leaps in serials where young actors have to play characters twice their age? "It's funny to see actor play 60-year-olds and yet have no grey strands. They dress up and talk like youngtsers! That looks funny."
   So, will he agree to be part of a show taking a leap? "I haven't given that a thought. I'll think about it when such a situation comes up," says the Delhiboy who came to Mumbai a few years ago to pursue his acting dream.
   Career's going fine, but what about love life? "I'm single," he smiles. "When you are working 30 days a month there's no time really for anything. You have to have a partner who's so understanding because most of the time you are out of the house shooting."

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/
Four seasons

With new shows set to take off across channels today, we give you the low-down to decide the course of your remote control

Express Features Service

Mumbai, November 13: Darna Mana Hai, Star One
10 pm
Tell tale: In India's first ever film-to-telly extension, Darna Mana Hai, like the film, is a compilation of hair-raising stories. Each story commences on Mondays and concludes on Thursdays.

Who's in it: Rajeshwari Sachdeva, Vijay Raaz and Tina Parekh act in some of the stories.

What's hot: The directors are from the RGV stables—Saurabh Shukla, Pawan Kaul, Saurabh Narang and Vivek Agnihotri.

What's not: The film didn't do well. So what's the big idea of recreating a flop?

What's predictable: Children who spook adults and door creaks

Kituu Sabb Jaantii Hai, Sahara One
9.30 pm
Tell tale: Katyayani Purohit aka Kituu, the most popular girl in her area, sets out to be a television journalist. No prizes for guessing her character is based on Barkha Dutt.

Who's in it: Ami Trivedi, earlier seen in Khichdi, Babul Ki Duayen Leti Ja and Kumkum, plays the bratty Kituu.

What's hot: The storyline, for a change, doesn't seem regressive with the protagonist choosing to become an investigative journalist over a housewife.

What's not: With barely any emphasis on the news stories Kituu covers, this one looks like another emotional family drama.

What's predictable: Amit Verma plays a rich charmer who woos Kittu in all earnestness, but Kituu holds on firmly to her middle class sensibilities, despite being totally besotted initially.

India Calling, Star One
9.30 pm
Tell tale: Small town girl, Chandni comes to Mumbai in search of her missing sister and ends up in a BPO, India Calling. And no, they're not discussing outsourcing issues—this too is a melodrama with a different backdrop.

Who's in it: Manasi Parekh plays the protagonist.

What's hot: The call centre is an interesting backdrop. Wonder if we'll listen in on any accent training.

What's not: God save Star One from going the Star Plus way and turning into a family affair.

What's predictable: Chandni falling in love with her boss, Aditya.

Pyaar Vyaar And All That, MTV
8 pm
Who's in it: Actors Mishal Raheja, Rohan Tiwari, Mamta Jhaveri and Freishia Bomanbehram.

What's hot: The young, teenage feel should be a welcome relief from the soppy dramas.

What's not: Will this strike a chord or wind up being a disastrous wannabe, a la Kitni Mast Hai Zindagi?

What's predictable: Doesn't it remind you of Just Mohabbat and Remix?

LUCKY ON TV! Gautam Rhode

For all those who are tired of tear-jerkers on television, here's something to look forward to. Star Plus is all set to launch its new adventure series, Lucky from November.

Speaking about the show that will go on air from November 4, 8 p.m. Deepak Segal, executive vice-president, Star India, says, "Lucky is sure to capture the fancy of all age groups with its exciting tales week after week."

It is a story about a young man, Lucky, who runs a fake antique shop in Chor Bazaar. He cons people into buying the fakes.

He is street smart and takes life as it comes.

Delhi lad Gautam Rhode is playing the role of Lucky. Rhode, who became Close-Up's 'smiling face' a few years back, says everything in his life happened by chance and so did acting. On his role as Lucky, he says, "This series has helped me grow as an actor because it is so different from the role I play in the Star One serial Paraya Dhan."Rhode, who graduated from Bhagat Singh College eight years ago, got his first break in a commercial while still in college. Since then life has had its ups and downs. As of now, it is the small screen for him.

Story and Concept:

It is the story of a young man called Lucky, who runs a fake antique shop in Chor Bazaar and has the simplest ways of living, i.e. conning people by selling them fake antiques and actually making them believe, that the artifacts are genuine.

Lucky is a street smart, confident and intelligent character, who loves life the way it comes until he gets to know about the Rakshaks who were born for protecting sacred and priceless treasures and that now he is going to be the chosen one...the fifth Rakshak.

Totally unprepared for such a news, Lucky refuses to go along with this silly thought, as he calls it, inspite of the efforts made by Inder Mohan Sharma, a museum curator and Acharya Joshi, a 500 year old friendly ghost nonetheless, to convince him. From here on begins Lucky's first mission, which he is literally forced to go on (in a special plane captained by Captain Paswan) but a task that only Lucky can take up as he is undoubtedly the fifth Rakshak. Thus begins Lucky's new life as a rakshak that takes him and the gang on an exciting journey and nail biting adventures in every episode that are sure to keep the viewers on the edge of their seats.

The show is directed by Nisser Parvej and the cast includes Lucky played by Gautam Rhode; Inder Mohan Sharma played by Gyan Prakash Sharma; Captain Paswan played by Banwarilal Jhol & AJ i.e. Acharya Joshi played by Anang Desai.

So, stay tuned and join LUCKY as he goes on a new adventure trip every weekend starting November, 4, Saturdays at 8:00 PM. Only on STAR PLUS!

TV Stars on SRK

The buzz all around the country is about the new man on the hot seat... The charmer participants would face on India's premiere show - KBC. Here what your favourite television stars think about Shah Rukh Khan as the New Host Of KBC.

Deven BhojaniDeven Bhojani (Gattu from Baa Bahoo Aur Baby)
I am excited and very enthusiastic to see the new season of KBC. We have all seen and watched Amitabh Bachchan, and now that Shah Rukh is the host, it gives us all the more reason to watch KBC. SRK has got the style as well as the panache. I am an SRK fan and I would love to see Mr. Bachchan on the hotseat with SRK on KBC.

Ronit RoyRonit Roy (Rishabh Bajaj from Kasautii... and Mihir from Kyunki Saas...)
Well, we all loved KBC when Mr. Bachchan hosted the show. Shahrukh Khan will give KBC a different face and KBC will have a different energy altogether. It will be a little more casual now with loads of wittiness and humor. Shahrukh Khan has got an excellent sense of humour and it will be nice to see a KBC that is different from the earlier one. I would love to see Smriti on the hot seat with SRK. I am a fan of SRK. Infact you can say that I am inspired by the way he talks and conducts himself.

Mouni RoyMouni Roy (Krishna Tulsi from Kyunki Saas...)
Well I am very fond of Shah Rukh Khan. I think off-screen he's a better speaker and carries himself well. I would definitely love to see Rani Mukherji on the hotseat with SRK. I make it a point to watch all his movies and of course I'd love to be on the hotseat with SRK.

Vivaan BhatenaVivaan Bhatena (Dhruv from Kumkum)
I think he's the most apt person to replace Mr. Bachchan. He will add a new freshness to KBC and am sure viewers will have something to look forward to. There will be sheer excitement amongst the viewers. I'd definitely love to be on the hotseat with SRK. I wasn't a big fan of Shahrukh until I met him in Malaysia for a charity event. The way he interacted with the kids in spite of having an injury on his leg. He does not need to do all of this but yet he does it of his own free will. That's when I got to see another side of SRK all together.

Salil AnkolaSalil Ankola (Mahen from Karam Apnaa Apnaa)
Shahrukh Khan is a brilliant person and its really great to know that he will be the next host of KBC. He has got a different style altogether and one cannot compare him to somebody else. He is unique. The way he projects himself. I'd love to be on the hotseat with SRK. Who wouldn't?

Gautam RodeGautam Rode (Lucky from Lucky)
Well Shahrukh Khan is great! He will do wonders for KBC. People will have something new to look out for on KBC. I am a big SRK fan and off course I'd love to see myself on the hotseat with SRK.

Rucha GujaratiRucha Gujarati (Suhana from Bhabhi)
Well, SRK taking over the role of host of KBC after Amitabh is a difficult task. But Shahrukh will give KBC a new face value altogether. KBC I think now would be light hearted and humorous instead of the tensed and strict atmosphere it earlier had. I would love to see Amitabh be on the hotseat with Shahrukh. This would be an episode worth watching. I am a die-hard SRK fan. Infact I have watched DDLJ nearly 30-40 times. I love his acting and I feel he is perfect for romance. If I'm seated with Shah Rukh on the hotseat, I'd be completely hypnotized in front of him. Instead of winning prize money I'd come back with a BIG Zero.

Manoj BohraManoj Bohra (Prem from Kasautii Zindagi Kay)
Well Shah Rukh definitely appeals to today's generation. I think he is the most apt person to host KBC after Mr. Bachchan. He's energetic, witty and he'll add a lot more zest to the show. I'd be waiting to see AB on the hotseat with SRK. Well I am an SRK fan. But I don't want be on the hotseat with Shah Rukh that's because I don't want to come face to face with him on a non-fictional show. I have bigger plans.

Pulkit SamratPulkit Samrat (Lakshya from Kyunki Saas...)
Shah Rukh is very different. He has his own unique style, a great stylish look and a fantastic personality…So one can expect the best from him. I am an SRK fan and I'd definitely like to see myself with him on the hotseat for KBC.

Prachee ShahPrachee Shah (Kesar from Kesar)
Mr. Bachchan is Mr. Bachchan and a Shah Rukh is a Shah Rukh. I'm a huge Bachchan fan but that doesn't mean I don't like SRK. SRK is truly very popular and has a huge fan following among the youth. It will be a good change. I'm sure he will have a new look and would love to see him on television after a long break. It's a reality show and will be something to look forward to. I have worked with Shah Rukh in the movie 'Hey Ram' where we had done a song together. He's a good gentleman and would definitely love to be on the hotseat with him.

# Thursday, 28 December, 2006
Just one day to save your soaps
Nivedita Mookerji
Saturday, December 30, 2006 00:51 IST

CAS for cable TV comes into effect tomorrow; there is no grace period

NEW DELHI: It's official. The conditional access system for cable television comes into effect in the notified areas of Mumbai, Delhi, and Kolkata on December 31 and there will be no grace period to make the transition.

The CAS enables a viewer to watch TV channels of his choice through a set-top box and pay only for those. For free-to-air channels (Rs77 plus taxes), set-top boxes are not required.

From December 31, your pay channels will go blank unless you hurry up and get yourself a set-top box to enable the CAS. The option to stay connected to your favourite soaps and films is to subscribe to the direct-to-home (DTH) services offered by Dish TV and TataSky.

According to Jagjit Singh Kohli, CEO, Wire & Wireless (of the Essel Group), "There is tremendous demand suddenly for set-top boxes for CAS." He said the combo schemes announced by Wire & Wireless, among others, have played a role in popularising the CAS.

Estimates suggest that only around 20 per cent of 2 million cable TV homes in the CAS notified areas in the three metros will have set-top boxes by the cut-off date. But Kohli was confident that the numbers would rise to 80 per cent within a few weeks. Hathway Cable CEO K Jayaraman made a similar assessment.

An industry source said that some broadcasters may make their pay channels free-to-air for a while to enable a smoother transition to the CAS.   

"Some popular pay channels turned free-to-air in Chennai some three years ago when CAS was implemented in that city," he said.

For instance, STAR Vijay, a Tamil channel, is free-to-air in Chennai; elsewhere it is a pay channel.

But a STAR TV spokesperson said there is no such plan. ESPN India managing director RC Venkateish also denied any such move. Some multi-system operators (MSOs), however, are offering discounted rates on pay channels and attractive rental schemes for the set-top boxes.

Meanwhile, DTH service providers are seizing their opportunity. TataSky has announced a promotional six-month free subscription. One can avail of this offer till January 10. Ordinarily, the monthly tariff is Rs300.

On Friday, the Essel Group's Dish TV matched the TataSky offer across metros. But the subscriber will have to pay Rs2,950 plus Rs200 towards the hardware and a month's tariff. Dish has also announced a rental scheme for DTH hardware in the CAS-notified areas.
Mrinal becomes a naagin!

Heard of being evil, but Mrinal Deshraj has seriously taken this one step ahead and transformed into being something more than humanly evil. Mrinal, who recently finished shooting for her previous show Kaahin To Hoga on Star Plus has managed to bag another weekly show. She will appear for two episodes of Lucky and will be seen playing the character of Naagin in the main lead with Gautam Rhode.

But currently she is slightly pepped up because this is the first time she has gone for an outdoor shoot to Baroda. And that's not it, it's her bizarre look that one has to watch out for. As a naagin, she will be seen with gaudy clothes, painted nails and red lenses to give it a freaky look. Apparently now everyone addresses her as naagin on the sets. So much so that some on of them don't even know her actual name.

Waise bhi ..what's in a name Mrinal???

http://www.tellychakkar.com/y2k7/mar/7mar/grapevine.php

Rushali goes blind!

Many actors have had weird and scary experiences while shooting on outdoor locales, late into the night but Rushali Arora who is on a killing spree as a possessed woman, will appear in 4 episodes for Lucky, has a totally different tale to tell.

She plays a simple, village girl who is possessed by an evil spirit, out to kill Lucky in the serial of the same name, for which she is required to wear a crumpled, wet dress, long hair and sport white ghostly eyes. Elaborating on the white eyes, Rushali explains, "I have to use white opaque contact lens that renders me totally blind. To remain with it for beyond half-an-hour is an ordeal and so I remove the lens if there is a break between the shots."

Rushali has acted in horror and thriller serials like Aahat earlier, where she has portrayed the character of vampire and ghost. "But then the get-up demanded sharp canine teeth and weird costumes," says the frazzled actor, further adding, "now I have not only to use opaque lens, the location is also somewhere in the woods, shot at night and my role demands me to live in a well. It's so scary."

There is water everywhere and she has to rise from the well with water around her. It's the director and the unit hands who guide her which way to look and how many steps to take in which direction. "Now I know what it is to be visibly challenged and I empathise with their lot," says a harrowed Rushali.

http://us.tellychakkar.com/y2k7/mar/15mar/news_rushali.php

Nagin meets with two accidents on Lucky sets!

She plays Nagin in this Lucky. Mrinal Desharaj (Shipra of Kahiin To Hoga) has had two unfortunate accidents on the sets of Lucky. The whole team of Lucky is in Baroda where the shoot is being completed. Mrinal's first accident happened ten days back.

In her words: "Ten days back we were shooting in Baroda. I had to do fight scene and this was a first for me. I was so excited about it that I refused to use a dummy for it. While doing the shot, I got hurt. As if that was not enough, the light man dropped his light on my forehead and I had an injury on my head this time. The scene was such that I had to jump and roll down for the shot. So while I was doing that the light man who was supposed to stand away from me dropped the socket on my face, injuring my eyebrow and it started bleeding. For 15 minutes I couldn't see anything and I started crying as I thought I had lost my eye. It was paining very much."

"After scolding the boy, the director asked me whether I wanted to continue shooting or not. I had to complete that shot as I had some commitments in Mumbai. My make up man had to do lots of patch work on my face so that the mess that it had become could not be seen. There was too much blood on my face. I applied ice on it, but I fainted twice because of blood loss. However I completed my shot and everyone told me it was a great shot. Then I came here to Mumbai and consulted with my doctor, Dr Kothari in Lokhandwala. For a whole week my entire face was swollen. But now my medication is over even thought I have got a black mark near my eyebrow."

"I have to get back to work soon as I have to shoot a portfolio for Showtime magazine. So except that mark everything is all right. For this shoot as well I will have to apply extra make up. So let's see how I can manage."

http://www.indya.com/news/mrinal_desharaj.html
Posted: 16 years ago

I want to open a chain of restaurants: Gautam Rode

I'm… Gautam

Love is…Trustworthy

Lust is… not trustworthy

Marriage is… Sacred

Friends first or lover… Both

First crush… When I was in STD 8

First kiss… STD 10

Dream date… Nicole Kidman

Dream destination… Mauritius

The book that influenced me… Alchemist

Women and I… Gel well together

A fact about me that nobody knows… That I carry a lucky coin in my purse

Last time you cooked… I cooked Maggie noodles four months ago

Food to me is… Healthy

Saas-Bahu shows… Workable

If not working… Watch films or go out with friends

One thing you want to change in yourself… I take too much time to decide on anything

I'm mushy about… The girl in my life

Last time you watched your own show… One and a half months back

Secret desire… To open a chain of restaurants

Philosophy of life… Always try and take the right decisions

Advice to youngsters… Be confident and follow the right path

Last time I cried… Don't remember

Best thing about the TV industry… It keeps you going

Worst thing about the TV industry… It makes you feel tired

http://tellychakkar.com/y2k7/oct/25oct/short_takes.php

Edited by Lubnavaishali - 16 years ago