Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 17 years ago
Ram rescues his Sita

Actor Ganesh Venkatraman, who plays a character inspired by Ram, rescues Nikita, who plays a character based on Sita, as she faints on the sets of serial

SHARIN WADER Times News Network

Want to know how Ram rescued Sita? Ask the crew members of Star Plus' Antariksh — Ek Amar Katha! Ganesh Venkatraman who plays Amar, the protagonist based on Ram, recently came to the rescue of co-star Nikita Thukral, who plays Shliya on the sets of the serial.
   "We were shooting for seven days non-stop. The afternoon heat had started taking a toll on us. Nikita was feeling dehydrated. Suddenly she fainted and fell on her face," says Ganesh. "I immediately lifted her up and took her to the van. I then sprinkled water on her face. She regained consciousness but then fainted again. I noticed that her body was turning cold so I started massaging her palm and forehead." Nikita says that she really felt like Sita in distress. "The sight was hilarious," she recalls the incident. "There was not just Ram but also Laxman and Hanuman present when I fainted! Kushal Punjabi who plays Hanuman started shouting, 'Bachao, bachao,' when I lost consciousness and then Ram and Laxman (played by Mohit Raina) came running to save me. It was really like a scene of the Ramayana."

shruti thumbnail

Ganesh Venkatraman aka Amar of the futuristic series Antariksh seems to have taken his action role quite seriously. So inspired was he by the action sequences in the show that he has gone in for full-fledged training in Wushu and kickboxing. "Wushu is a completely stylised Chinese martial arts form," he informs enthusiastically.

"Amar is a superhero and he is always around to save the world. And when I play such a character it kind of rubs off on you. I felt the need to go in for some self defense martial art forms," he says. Ganesh states that for the character, body language and flexibility is important and martial arts can only help him do just that. With Antariksh not scoring high TRPs, looks like Ganesh is trying out every trick in the trade and is already looking at a future as a martial arts trainer! (Sampurn)

http://www.deccan.com/TV%20Guide/TV%20GuideDescription.asp#A ctor%20is%20hooked%20to%20martial%20arts!

shruti thumbnail

There is bad news for Star Plus sci-fi series Antariksh. The channel has decided to axe the show in order to make way for Karam Apna Apna in the 8 pm slot. Sources close to the channel have confirmed this new development. Karam… is being shifted from its 9:30 pm time spot to accommodate KBC which starts in January.

Antariksh though isn't the only show shutting shop. Viraasat too is being asked to wind up. Although rumour has it that the show will return in a couple of months time for a second season. Unlike Viraasat, Antariksh is shutting shop for good as the show has not been able to get high TRPs and is being regarded as a flop serial. The serial was supposed to be inspired by Star Wars and was launched with great fan fare three months back.

It is alleged the show's leading man Ganesh Venkatraman was very upset with this news. But when contacted he said he wasn't sure that the serial was ending. " I have heard about the show going off air, but we don't have any official confirmation as yet. I guess because of KBC there is a lot of reshuffling going on. But I can't comment about my show ending till I get confirmation from the channel," says Ganesh.  Can't blame the actor for not confirming the news because people have been speculating about Kahin to hoga ending in January. Some believe that Karam… will replace it.

http://www.deccan.com/Sunday%20Chronicle/Sunday%20ChronicleD escription.asp#Karam…%20to%20replace%20Antariksh

shruti thumbnail

Who kissed Ganesh? 

Recently when Ganesh Venkataram (Amar of Star Plus' Antariksh) decided to go out shopping, little did he know that he would get mobbed by a group of teenage girls outside a mall. "One of them approached me and asked for an autograph and the others stood around me," says Ganesh. "When I asked for an autograph book, she put her hand out and asked me to sign on her palm. I was surprised but then relented. The moment I signed, she immediately gave me a peck on my cheek and they all fled from there," he laughs.

http://epaper.timesofindia.com/

shruti thumbnail

Aisa Des Hai

Sony had chosen Aisa Des Hai Mera to fill in the vacuum created by Indian Idol- 2 with a hope that the serial would keep the prime time viewers glued to their seats. It is said that in an attempt to give a taste of Yash Chopra's Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge and Veer Zara, the channel zeroed down on veteran writer Lekh Tandon's story and even went to London in order to shoot the initial few episodes. But even that could not attract the viewers.

Resham Dank

As for Resham Dank, the scriptwriter Atish Kapadia was made the scapegoat and was  accused of changing the track of the show which resulted in diminished viewership of the serial. Initially, when the serial started, producer J.D. Majithia claimed that the serial will run for 12-14 months; but it's not even five months old now and its time to say good bye.

Akela

Fireworks Production's high profile and off beat show Akela had the hunky Sudhanshu Pandey possessing special powers of interacting with the dead. It's so called Hollywood feel couldn't save its fate and it has literally lived up to its name.

Antariksh

Similar is the case of Antariksh which was launched just three months back. The production company even affirmed that after seeing the special effects in the serial, people will forget the movie Krish. The programming people of Star Plus had high hopes from the so called modern Ramayan, but in vain. Though the channel claims otherwise, insiders have confirmed the news of its axing.

Viraasat

Another setback was Viraasat. Very few people are ready to accept that the biggie has bitten the dust. "Viraasat is going off-air for three months and they would bring back the serial on a new time slot," says Aman Verma hoping for the best but it's still not clear whether its in safe territory or not.

Vaidehi

Aruna Irani tried to use all the tricks in the trade to make  Vaidehi sizzle but failed miserably. It began as a weekly then became a daily.

Johny Ala Re

And Johny Ala Re got low ratings in spite of a big budget, countless revamps and the big Bollywood ace, Johny Lever.

Kahin To Hoga

It's also noteworthy that  Ekta Kapoor too couldn't keep the magic alive in Kahin To Hoga. Seems, the serial did well only due to Amna Sharif and Rajiv Khandelwal's hit jodi. Because after Kahndelwal left in a huff, the TRPs were never the same again.

http://www.deccan.com/TV%20Guide/TV%20GuideDescription.asp#F lop%20shows%20of%20the%20year

shruti thumbnail
Karam stays, Antariksh gets axed!

And that's all KBC's doing!

DEEPALI DHINGRA

When Kaun Banega Crorepati goes on air from January 22 on Star Plus, the fates of some of the other serials will get sealed. While it was earlier speculated that Karam Apnaa Apnaa might go off air along with Virasat, the channel has clarified that in fact, it is Antariksh and not these two serials that are being booted off. Says Shailja Kejriwal, Senior Creative Director, Star India, "The ratings of Karam have been touching 11 and it's one of the most successful shows in the past one-and-a-half years. There was absolutely no way we were going to axe that. It was highly irresponsible to report that it was going off air. The serial is being shifted to the 8 pm slot and Antariksh will be going off air instead," she clarifies. But after Iqbal Khan quit Karam, has the serial not gone through a slump? "Not at all, Yash Tonk has just recently replaced him and whenever an actor gets replaced, we give them a couple of weeks to see how things are working out," she says.
   As for Antariksh going off air, Shailja says that it was not performing as per expectations and Karam was too precious a serial to let go off. "In the face of competition, this was the decision we had to take," she adds. As for Virasat, it will be shifted to Star One to the 8.30 pm slot. "We're hoping some of the loyal viewers will shift to watching it on that channel," she adds.

shruti thumbnail
'How could SRK do this to us, yaar?'

... asks Ganesh Venkatraman jokingly, as his serial Antariksh will go off air to make place for KBC

SHARIN WADER

Make way for Shah Rukh Khan, the Badshah of Bollywood! This must have been literally told to the team of Star Plus' Antariksh which will now go off air to accommodate SRK's Kaun Banega Crorepati.
   Ganesh Venkatraman, who plays Amar, the lead role in the science-fiction, is yet to come to terms with the fact that he will no longer be playing the macho man who saves people in distress. "How could SRK do this to us, yaar?" he says jokingly. But adds on a serious note, "I have grown up watching SRK's films and it's a privilege to make way for him." So there are no ill feelings? "Of course we are feeling bad that the serial is being taken off air," he says.
   While it was earlier speculated that Star Plus' Karam Apnaa Apnaa and Virasat would go off air, the channel has now decided to do away with Antariksh, as the serial is not as popular as the other two. "The target audience of Antariksh were kids. And among them the serial was quite popular. I used to get good response from them," he says defending his serial.
   Ganesh's role in the serial is partly based on the character of Ram. Does he fear that like Arun Govil, who had earlier played Ram in Ramayan, people might find it difficult to associate him with other kinds of roles? "Not at all. I'm happy that people have not stereotyped me," says Ganesh, who is content with the way his career is going. "I am doing another science-fiction which is the first 3-D serial to be made in India. It's a bilingual and will be telecast in Hindi soon. Besides that I have been approached for another serial and the role is quite different from the ones I'm doing now," he says.

sweet_lima thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Smriti Irani on Colgate Maxfresh Antakshari-The Great Challenge

Colgate Maxfresh Antakshari - The Great Challenge enters its 3rd round!

After Kunal Ganjawala creating 'dhammal' on February 23, 2007 it's the turn of special guests Hemchandra & Arpita of Sa Ra Ga Ma Pa fame and celebrity guest, the Queen of the silver screen Smriti Irani to cheer the participants. Catch Smriti Irani interacting with the participants on Sunday Feb 25, 2007 as she shares her experience of being an Antakshari fan. That's not all; Hemchandra & Arpita tuned their vocal cords to belt out songs giving the participants interesting clues on Saturday Feb 24, 2007.

Engaging a wide cross section of audiences, Antakshari has enthralled one and all promises to increase the experience from episode to episode. The final 8 contestants from the 4 zones this week are:

East Ki Aan: Raina & Madhu Kshetry
Central Ki Jaan: Arpita & Amrita Vaishampayan
West Ka Maan: Saumya Srivastava & Kalpana Varma
North Ki Shaan: Roopak & Deepak Jain

Produced by Gajendrra Siingh, the show is seen in a snazzier avatar with new inclusions to the format and an exciting reality aspect! Annu Kapur, the man synonymous with Antakshari, hosts this musical extravaganza with none other than Juhi Parmar, the young and vivacious telly queen.