Posted: 17 years ago
I have seen that we Indians have rules and limitations for our age. Like as we get older in late 30s or 40s or 50s or 60s we are not suppose to dress like this, widow who are around 40 are not seen dancing in weddings, women specifically limit themselves a lot. Like going for biking or doing exercise in public parks, or jogging when you are 40 or taking a dance class or even going back to school or studying is not that popular and if one try to do something they do become topic of gossip πŸ˜• rather than setting an example. Do you think we have lot of restriction and barrier ourselves to age? Is it cultural? I have seen more Indians whining about their age as they grow older.
I must admit that I love Americans when they say "their life start after 40". I love their mentality of doing anything at any age. Literally anything πŸ˜† Isn't that living life to the fullest? Or you think it is better to behave and do things that suits your age?

PS- I am not sure if everyone think like this, but this is just my observation that in India we do tend to be lot cautious about our growing age and limit and restrict ourselves and create this age barrier.

I agree with you completely Sowmyaa ji!!!!

In India people get mentally old very quickly.They think they should do like this ,I really don't know who told them to do so!!!

Ladies(particularly home makers) at 45 think their life is finished and think they have seen sooo much of life,where as some western women start their life at their age some times with second marriage and then freshly they will be thinking the names of the kids they get of second marriage.

Men at forty are naughty is applicable to all men.I don't know why Indian women are not naughty ,energitic lively in this age after 40!!!

We cannot change the society as there is no necessity to change but we can change ourselves to some extent!!! BTW I don't think its necessary for a 50 year old woman to dance in marriage or any partyπŸ˜†!!!!!! They need to give some chance to youngsters also!!

Cheers,

Mythili

Mythili, why not? why can't a 50 year old cannot dance at wedding if she feels like? She is not taking away state of youngsters for sure πŸ˜†, but what is wrong if you feel at 50 to dance? Dancing is one of the way to express your happiness. See this is exactly what I mean. We try to judge older women who wants to dance at that age. why limit things to age?

I remember this vaguely as i was very young at the time, but my mom is very good painter. She didn't get to finearts school when she was young so wanted to take theoritical training and the school had age limit. She was too old to get in. Can you believe this? I feel so angry at it right now 😑 How can you not take a student 'coz she is old?? this was so absurd!!!! Now she is in US and I have been trying to tell her to take some painting classes and pursue her career 'coz she paints good enough to sell her paintings.Edited by sowmyaa - 17 years ago
Originally posted by abhijit shukla

I wish I could participate but I know absolutely nothing about getting older. Sorry!
A.S.

πŸ˜† omg, i sooo want to call you abhijit uncle right now 😳 but i don't want to get fired πŸ˜†

I wish I could participate but I know absolutely nothing about getting older. Sorry!
A.S.

So we agree that you are true UNCLE SAM !!!!

(Serious Note :Uncle SAM refers to an American Man not of the type  in KANK of karan Johar )

Not only women ,men also think they are very old by 50 years.My brother's colleague in Green Villie is of 85 years and he works very enthusiastically with full of energy!!!!May be surroundings also change us!!

Cheers,

Mythili

If you call me that, you have to send me 1/3 of all your earnings.

πŸ˜†πŸ˜† typical uncle sam..always looking ways to get taxesπŸ˜†

Mythili,
Let me admit this how I came up with this topic. I usually go for a walk with my coworkers everyday and I have a friend who is 50 years old. Lot older than I am. She can walk miles more than I do, she is perfectly tone and I cannot walk as fast as she can and I have to take short cut while she can walk for on and on and on. She bikes 50 miles every week. Now I know this has to come with practice and you have to be regular at excercise but she is lot more younger than me.

Other thing my neighbour who is more than 50 yr old who does not have kids loves to dress up each halloween for trick or treaters.

When I was taking some finance courses here I was the youngest one in the class πŸ˜• all of my other classmates were in 40 or 50s. Some wanted career change, some just came to brush up the course, and there was one women who said she is single parent so now she has to study to support her kids so now is thinking to apeer for CPA so wants to take this course. There are tons of such examples where I find that we Indians close our door due to age. I've been teaching my mom to operate internet and she gives me lousy answer like oh we are old, now why do we want to learn internet and computer. 😑 and I can't snap her back saying I have people of yoru age at my work who train kids like us on how to use these very computer...uff!!!

If you call me that, you have to send me 1/3 of all your earnings.

Yes Minister!!! afterall ur our Senapathi!!!

Originally posted by sowmyaa

Mythili,
Let me admit this how I came up with this topic. I usually go for a walk with my coworkers everyday and I have a friend who is 50 years old. Lot older than I am. She can walk miles more than I do, she is perfectly tone and I cannot walk as fast as she can and I have to take short cut while she can walk for on and on and on. She bikes 50 miles every week. Now I know this has to come with practice and you have to be regular at excercise but she is lot more younger than me.

Other thing my neighbour who is more than 50 yr old who does not have kids loves to dress up each halloween for trick or treaters.

When I was taking some finance courses here I was the youngest one in the class πŸ˜• all of my other classmates were in 40 or 50s. Some wanted career change, some just came to brush up the course, and there was one women who said she is single parent so now she has to study to support her kids so now is thinking to apeer for CPA so wants to take this course. There are tons of such examples where I find that we Indians close our door due to age. I've been teaching my mom to operate internet and she gives me lousy answer like oh we are old, now why do we want to learn internet and computer. 😑 and I can't snap her back saying I have people of yoru age at my work who train kids like us on how to use these very computer...uff!!!

Yeah !!! This is true!!! My mom too does'nt  try at all to learn Computer!!!

When we say to our elders in India about the elders in western countries they brush aside our ideas by saying "There the climate is different,for that weather they stay young".I wonder if this is correctπŸ˜•

Cheers,

Mythili

Very thought provoking topic. Yes Indians are more restrained in venting their expressions as they age. The mantra is 'aging gracefully'. So I think this takes precedence over their free spirit. For certain things I believe we need to conform with age. Learning is something which has no barriers as long as you endear the joy to learn.