Debate Mansion

punjabis and the general impression

peacestead thumbnail
Posted: 18 years ago

Hi guys,

this may be a controversial topic but I read something on the board of JJKN that set this train of thinking in motion in my mind. I am a Punjabi and man am i proud of it, but the general impression that seems to be going around is that Punjabi's are stupid people and not very intelligent. I hate it when people talk or think like this , Punjabi's work hard and party even harder , i really think punjabi's know how to live life to the fullest, they are big hearted and warm and usually are successful whichever part of the world they are in and I am so sick and tired of this cliche that seems to judge punjabi in such a way.Even in movies you see punjabi's being made fun of and this should stop!!!!!! I have nothing against people from other regions but they are certainly not more intelligent than punjabis . Please chime in everyone and lets see what u all fee?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

simi1295 thumbnail
i agree with you 100%...i am also a punjabi and proud 2 b one.. but no one this site says anything bad about any1... i didnt read anything that should be takn 2 heart... we are all frnds here.. and no1 needs to say anything bad about any1... this is happy place to be and talk to every1.. so guys lets not get into these kind of topics.. bc this can start somthing that no one wants to get in... so lets all be happy and 😃....
peacestead thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: simi1295

i agree with you 100%...i am also a punjabi and proud 2 b one.. but no one this site says anything bad about any1... i didnt read anything that should be takn 2 heart... we are all frnds here.. and no1 needs to say anything bad about any1... this is happy place to be and talk to every1.. so guys lets not get into these kind of topics.. bc this can start somthing that no one wants to get in... so lets all be happy and 😃....

Hi friend ,

I wasnt talking about this forum , i was talking about the general impression, come on we'hv discussed more controversial topics on this forum!!!!! I agree we're all friends and nobody is bad mouthing us punjabis , it was just a general discussion like any other topic. 😊   😊

mango thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4

I agree with you. They show punjabis as jokers in the movies. Guys If you haven't watched Hawayein or Asan Nu Maan Watna Da I suggest you watch those movies and then you will find out what the real punjabis look like.

There are so many punjabis around but I don't get it. why the hell to they dress up some person as a punjabi. He looks like a joker then. For example: Johny Lever in Raja Hindustani😡 I was so angry when I watched the movie. My dad was watching YMLH with me yesterday the part where they show KS. He said o finally they found a punjabi. Thank god they didnt dress some guy like a cartoon.

I agree that all this should stop b/c it's an insult to all the Punjabis.

Btw I too am a Punjabi (Sikh)😛 and I am really proud to be a SIKH.

Edited by Manjot - 18 years ago
sukh thumbnail

Btw I too am a Punjabi (Sikh)😛 and I am really proud to be a SIKH.. i

i second to this. .

yea u r so right in this tv/movies they really messed up with siks,s image. they always try to make fun of it. & we have to bear it. its getting too much. i reallly feel sorry for this.if   i,m in that line, i will try to make sure that no one can do this kind of things, then no matter if they r for sikhs,hindu,s or muslim. cause

all of us know this that before being  a sikh,hindu or muslim .

sada pehla daham hai humanity. ( we r human first)

than i don,t understand that why these few people like to make fun of sikhs like that.

people  r been  always diffrent then others in each religion then no matter what that religion is.. but cause of this kind of peole who like to hurt others people like this. have no sense.

look if u can,t respect anyone religion, righteousness or characteristics, ,,,so then u don,t have any right to dis-respect as well anyone,s religion, righteousness or characteristics........

i guess this the simple rule for this.

these r just what i beileve not offense to anyone..😳

Edited by Princess - 18 years ago
anjali.nair thumbnail
In Hindi movies there is generally a very wrong representation of Punjabis, Gujaratis and South Indians. Punjabis are shown illiterate and fools. The scene in Kuch kuch hota hai where the Sikh kid counting stars and Johney lever looking if clock has struck 12 is so lame. Gujaratis are shown with heavy accent like in Kal ho naho. And South Indians well!! people don't even know how to distinguish between the 4 Southern states and some jocker like Mehmood or Johny lever wears a lungi with some white chalk on forehead and blabs ayyo amma. It shows how lame and sick our Hindi film writers are.

I am a proud Indian.

Princess thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Engager 5 Thumbnail + 5

First of all, this is a good topic and I think this is the first time I'm responding in this new section.

Anyway, I am Punjabi as well and I'm proud of it too. I totally agree with you guys. Punjabis are made fun of in movie and they are shown as fools. As a matter of fact, this doesn't only happends to Punjabi it happends to Gujratis and other communities too. I think this is totally wrong and the actors/actress should stand up against it.

icy_devil thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
good topic.............i'm a punjabi and i hate it when ppl make fun of punjabi ppl................itz so mean when thye show a sardar tht is dumb and make fun of him.........omg they are not like tht, wht's wrong with the producers😡 and even in dramas they make fun of punjabi ppl....for example kesar(happy singh)...............i think they should stop
sowmyaa thumbnail
It's really a good topic. And I agree with bluepink. They have not only shown Punjabi but also Gujarati, South Indian in movies and made their fun. I am Gujarati and I know that in movies these days they are using lot of heavy Gujarati accent, which not all Gujarati speak. I same goes with Punjabi. I think there are all kind of different people in all region and all over the world. You cannot generalize whole cast, creed, region, nation, because of some people. We have this saying in gujarati "crow are black everywhere" ….. all we can do is ignore those things, laugh at lively humour and get some entertainment and not take things personally. And I really believe in thing that if someone calls me fool it does not make me one…. !!! believe in your self, in your religion in your family and just 'coz someone else tries to prove you wrong you don't become wrong…. People who really love you and know you are always with you and they don't need to be shown anything. Those jokes about Punjabi really does not make me judge Punjabi people 'coz I have friends who are Punjabi and I know them more than media is showing me.
Morgoth thumbnail

This topic deals with Stereotypes and prejudices which we have developed over the years.

Here are just a few examples:

Punjabis/Sardarjis are regarded as unintelligent or stupid, who do a "balle balle" at every opportunity

Gujaratis are loud, stingy and speak with heavy accents and a Ketaki Dave type "Arra ra ra raaa" to add a punch

Parsis are rich, lecherous old men wearing duglis and phetos or fat women with glasses who always keep saying "dikra" in a disapproving tone

Blonde women are thought to be carbon-copies of Pamela Anderson with empty heads

Italians are loud, boistrous and fat with bowls of pasta tucked away in every corner of the house

French people always seem to replace a "That" with a "zat", sport berets and are always called "Pierre" or "Marie"

African Americans are regarded as elements of a "ghetto" environment, wearing baggy pants, loose shirts, gaudy jewellery (Bling Bling), snorting cocaine and saying "'Sup yaww/dawg"

The point is that Stereotypes exist everywhere. Its up to us to look beyond the stereotype portrayed by the media and see things for what they really are.

[quote=bgdesai]all we can do is ignore those things, laugh at lively humour and get some entertainment and not take things personally. And I really believe in thing that if someone calls me fool it does not make me one…. !!! believe in your self, in your religion in your family and just 'coz someone else tries to prove you wrong you don't become wrong…[/quote]

Perfectly summed up, BG!

Edited by MysticaMagic - 18 years ago