Is Education Important

Posted: 17 years ago

Hi Guys…To be RICH(not the DON way) in life how much education helps you. I mean many are who are not much qualified but rich might have not done much wrong things are there…

1)      Is Education really important or its just a benefit?

2)      Does luck plays an important role?Why?

3)      If luck is imp then does it hold higher place then hardwork?

I feel being successful and rich are 2 different things. Successful can be considered as being satisfied with your self. I read a story for being satisfied in job, hope u people will like it.

A cab driver taught me a million dollar lesson in customer satisfaction and expectation. Motivational speakers charge thousands of dollars to impart his kind of training to corporate executives and staff. It cost me a $12 taxi ride.

I had flown into Dallas for the sole purpose of calling on a client. Time was of the essence and my plan included a quick turnaround trip from and back to the airport. A spotless cab pulled up. The driver rushed to open the passenger door for me and made sure I was comfortably seated before he closed the door. As he got in the driver's seat, he mentioned that the neatly folded Wall Street Journal next to me was for my use. He then showed me several tapes and asked me what type of music I would enjoy. Well! I looked around for a "Candid Camera!" Wouldn't you? I could not believe the service I was receiving! I took the opportunity to say, "Obviously you take great pride in your work. You must have a story to tell."

"You bet," he replied, "I used to be in Corporate America. But I got tired of thinking my best would never be good enough. I decided to find my niche in life where I could feel proud of being the best I could be. I knew I would never be a rocket scientist, but I love driving cars, being of service and feeling like I have done a full day's work and done it well. I evaluate my personal assets and... wham! I became a cab driver. One thing I know for sure, to be good in my business I could simply just meet the expectations of my passengers. But, to be GREAT in my business, I have to EXCEED the customer's expectations! I like both the sound and the return of being 'great' better than just getting by on 'average'"

If this has been discussed then close it down.

Cheers,

Ahmed

Edited by guess_gallery - 17 years ago
just pushing up with some changes 😊
I like the topic a lot..  perhaps I can write something sensible later.  I'll throw in a few thoughts anyway.

Originally posted by guess_gallery

1)      Is Education really important or its just a benefit?

Just a benefit according to me / just a personal requirement to an extent.  People comparatively much lesser educated than certain others, (a diploma / a degree in computer science as opposed to 3 to 4 years of post-doctoral training in academia) make 3 to 4 times more money per year here in the san francisco bay area (silicon valley) atleast !  In fact, that causes an outrage among biomedical research scientists, especially with dwindling NIH funds, thanks to war! This is just an example ofcourse.  

2)      Does luck plays an important role?Why?

Most certainly..  I won't say anything to support / prove that, because these are personal observations and experiences.  I know several LUCKY people, who neither seemingly have excellent karma (gained in this life atleast 😆), nor excellent education / hard work.. They are plain lucky. 

3)      If luck is imp then does it hold higher place then hardwork?

I wouldn;t say higher / lower.  I do believe that hard work will pay off some day or the other (that thought keeps me OFF Paxil 😆😆 you see ).  Yet luck does play a major role in who you are , what you achieve and when you achieve it.  Hard work pays off over a period of time.

Cheers,

Ahmed

mQT

Originally posted by mermaid_QT

I like the topic a lot..  perhaps I can write something sensible later.  I'll throw in a few thoughts anyway.

mQT

Mermaid ji

If this are your few thoughts ....should i expect an essay later

Mermaid ji

If this are your few thoughts ....should i expect an essay later

I am already tired.. now that is not very encouraging, is it? 😉   disorganized few thoughts equivalent to blabber = long post.  that's what i meant 😆
I feel Education is important. Now dont jump on me.... let me explain

What is Education???? Bachelor's is educational qualification and not education..... Education is what is taught and what is learnt.... Ur teacher need not be the University teacher. It can be an animal, nature, a kid or anyone. Whatever you learn while living your own life is education. The person who is always anxious to know new methods to do a specific job or grabs the knowledge from activities of nature is highly educated than the person who keeps head in university books....

The taxi driver is more educated that the marketing MBAs from the university though he does not hold the degree because he know what the job is.....

Hence Education is the center of success in life as per my opinion 😃 Edited by kabhi_21 - 17 years ago
Originally posted by kabhi_21

I feel Education is important. Now dont jump on me.... let me explain

What is Education???? Bachelor's is educational qualification and not education..... Education is what is taught and what is learnt.... Ur teacher need not be the University teacher. It can be an animal, nature, a kid or anyone. Whatever you learn while living your own life is education. The person who is always anxious to know new methods to do a specific job or grabs the knowledge from activities of nature is highly educated than the person who keeps head in university books....

The taxi driver is more educated that the marketing MBAs from the university though he does not hold the degree because he know what the job is.....

Hence Education is the center of success in life as per my opinion 😃

HI Abhi K!  I agree with you about the importance of education and its implication in leading successful life.  I also understand and admire your comment on "REAL EDUCATION in school of LIFE".. as opposed to text-book education.  ( People like Bill gates/ certain Hollywood Bollywood celebrities would be excellent examples of that). 
However,  my interpretation of GG's topic was whether education is essential for becoming rich. 

Originally posted by GUESS_GALLERY

Hi Guys…To be RICH(not the DON way) in life how much education helps you.

I still believe that fate can be the deciding factor of richness for some.  For example, consider a scenerion- two taxi drivers (TWINS) who have learnt from similar experiences in life and hence are "educated" buy lottery tickets.   ONE wins it and becomes multimillionaire overnight! 
Another example, LPY's children, w/ o going to any university / learning from real LIFE institute are and forever will be RICH.   
I would love to hear your comments. (I have enjoyed ur debate championship threads before)

mQT 
Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago
Hi Abhi.... i understood your point of view you are taking teaching and guidance of elders or your teacher as education here...lekin as mermaid ji hit the nail here..education in this topic mean what a person get i mean masters degree and all.. if i wanted to talk abt the kind of education i would have opened a topic is education imp for successful

Mermaid ji you are really taking fate serious 😛 ..and dont know why.. but feel u are in real mood for debate.with abhi..

Cheers
Ahmed

Hi Abhi.... i understood your point of view you are taking teaching and guidance of elders or your teacher as education here...lekin as mermaid ji hit the nail here..education in this topic mean what a person get i mean masters degree and all.. if i wanted to talk abt the kind of education i would have opened a topic is education imp for successful

Mermaid ji you are really taking fate serious 😛 ..and dont know why.. but feel u are in real mood for debate.with abhi..

Cheers
Ahmed

The topic you brought up is where the shoe pinches most sincere, brilliant, dedicated and extremely hardworking individuals in my field.  I had commented in another thread once.. that if i were the single earning care-taker of my family, I would have cribbed about the education that I have the pleasure to be proud of today. 
Given that the  percentage of individuals marrying within our research community is very high, there are several extremely educated and hard-working couples don't enjoy a comfortable life style that is enjoyed by several others who spent only 4 years in college before getting a job. 

I am neither against any particular profession / education level nor jealous as success isn't always counted as green paper / coins with dead presidents' carvings. 😆 but when it comes to becoming rich, education may/ may not be the name of that game..
mQT echoed my thoughts on the issue.. Seriously! 😊

Education is basically obtained for awareness, better understanding of life and its issues and for a GOOD career.

But when we enter the "Real World" which is outside the Book's world... we come face to face with the reality: Money/Rich/Success!

in my immature opinion, i think its a mixture of luck +hardwork +Tact +Determination to achieve the goal of being Rich. [Specifically speaking]