Should school kids carry cell phone?

Posted: 18 years ago

Cell phones are a kind of necessity. Students attend College and classes as well. They travel long distances and are back at homes quite late. Hence, just for security, safety students do prefer to keep.

Whether using cell phone is economical or not, depends on individual's economic status. I have seen is that parents here have given the liberty to use money as they like. But some of them are well conscious of the value of money. So ppl like me, would use a cell phone for whenever its necessary.

Its not a fashion to me atleast. For me, its an instrument which should be used only when required. A simple model is enough for me. So long as it connects my parents to me. And plus, Cell phones can be easily stolen. One has to take lots of precautions for it.

So, overall if you have one, use it for right purpose and keep it safe. And if you dont have, its not much different. Keep yourself safe all the time.

I have had a cell phone since I was 13!! It is extremely important for me because it has helped me in bad situations!!!

I think Cell phones are a necessity these days. Especially if public phone booths are unavailable.

Obviously, they should only be used for emergencies, as KK said, but I have also seen kids misusing their phones. I think a Pay-as-you-go scheme is a good tracker - it keeps count of whom you call and keeps the parents vigilant if necessary.

Yes, I agree cell phones are necessary today, but how about cities in India. That's what my main point is. "most" (not all) of the kids in INDIA do not work in summer, they don't stay on campus or dorm ..they are with their paretns most of thetime or hanging out... its hard for me to figure out why do those kids need phone for. I used to be glued to phone during my school days I remember and all i remember was talking about cute guys, secret crushes, giggling and stuff like, ofcourse, limited study things too πŸ˜›. I understand in US kids do summer jobs, there is lot of commuting time between paretns job and home etc. which makes cell phone necessary, but my question is about kids in India.

I am 13 this year and my parents have got me a cell phone just for my safety as I walk home from school.....I guess it is a neccectiy nowadays ....everyone carries them because some might live far away and some for safety issues there a lot more otheer reasons why people need a cellphone..

i think that having cell phones specially in indian metros(where kids are at constant risk of being kidnapped,abused, raped) is not a bad idea though i must admit i have yet to see a teenager(till the age of 16)being allowed to move around unchaperoned in india....with girls they are rarely left on thier own to walk from schools(school buses drop them at preordained stops)without company, however parents need to enforce the proper use of these devices. i would not want a kid to use his cell to chat away with his friend in a class, use it as a cheating device in tests or record his/her romantic sojourns(like it happened in dps episode).

on the other hand ,i have often heard many parents in india complain that teenagers use the phones to keep in touch with thier gf/bf at moments notice. this leaves them distracted and they rarely are able to concentrate on studies. also it is very hard to monitor who they are in touch with on cells(compared to shared land lines), as a result they are more vunerable to getting enticed into bad company or pedophiles(the darker side of internet and cell phones). i must admit that i can identify with thier concerns.

Edited by pj04 - 18 years ago
Yeah, school kids can carry cell in school but they must hve use their cell in emergency case only and as far as MysticaMagic says for "I think Cell phones are a necessity these days. Especially if public phone booths are unavailable.."😊 But I must say one thing tht they should switch off their cell in class-room, if they didn't then there should be problem arise in their lecture n study also.

I think mostly everyone has raised the points I am going to say but I will say them anywayπŸ˜›

In this day and age I think it is necessary to carry cell phones, be it in India the Us or in the UK. We are living in 'dangerous' times where people get murdered, raped etc. I think having a cell phone is very very useful in order to contact people in case you get lost or just to let them know where you are so that in case anything does happen people have some information as to your whereabouts. Obviously carrying a cell phone takes some degree of responsibility as people can steal them very easily and so children especially need to be cautious.

Originally posted by tvmaniac

Brought up in the non cell phone era, Never
found the need for a cell until i was out of college & on the move
most of the time as parents got worried.

Ya, I was brought up in the non cell phone era, and last time I visited India which was 5 yrs. back, I was shocked to see so many kids carrying cell phone. I never felt need of having a cell phone so was just curious as I don't know much about situation in India that closely anymore.
hey tvmaniac that's really funny incident... πŸ˜† πŸ˜† i loved it! I know friends 've told me to expect whole new India when I come there so I guess i should be ready for some suprises!! when you leave india for you image is still the same and you think about it the way you left it, but then reality is time don't stop, plp keep on moving and everything is not same as you left... so guess am in for suprises! πŸ˜›