india vs not-india - Page 3

Posted: 18 years ago

in all both abroad and india have a lot to offer, what one chooses depends largely on ones capabilities, family circumstances, financial backgrounds and many other issues.   

Puja.

on one's personal wishes and ideologies also. i agree with whatever you have written. but  i am staying here due to my personal wish and my ideology,the word sounds foolish nowadays. πŸ˜Š                      

India is a good country and i dont thnk so that they r no such options open as that open in US

😊 I M PROUD TO BE AN INDIAN AND I M HAPPY WITH THE LIVING PERSPECTS IN INDIA AS COMPARED TO US.

Rumi, what you have said is beautiful and perhaps true to a certain extent.

However, it is just due to this brain drain that today the Indians have the largest slice of jobs in the job market in America where they are valued much more than the ppl of this land itself. It is due to this that today 30% of the jobs have moved back to India and India has become such a big global player.

In India, an average middle class employee earns maybe a around 3 lakhs of rupees, which is roughly around 7.5 thousand dollars. he pays taxes, and tries to make a decent living there.

Now, this man becomes an American citizen, and his roots pull him back to visit India. What does he do? He happily pays a visit, spends around 10 thousand dollars for a visit, visits some tourists spots, spending maybe another 5 thousand odd dollars, in total adding almost 15000 dollars to the Indian economy........roughly 7.5 lacs in one go.....and he does that almost every year,  sometimes buys some property for his folks for maybe another 20 thousand odd dollars (something if he was living in India would only dream to do) and in all he actually adds double of what he would have spent had he been living in India, that too in foreingn currency, to the economy.

Besides, he gets to live a marginally comfortable lifestyle and have a job satisfaction where his work, and not his 'yes sir and the dada' attitude wins him accolades. He is not denied promotions every year because he refuses to be political and beleives in hard work.... He also, more often than not, funds a few poor kids back in India, actually giving them a new life, something he would have been unable to do had he been struggling to put his own kid thru an expensive school in India,after of course cleaning out his savings to dole the the donations to that school, because he could not even dream of sending his school to a govt school. But being in States actually means he is in a much better position to help his own kith and kin..... 

On a personal level, in India, I had a very laid back lifestyle, had a cook, 24 hr maid to look after my kid, a maid to clean and even fold my laundry, had every comfort that I could think of. I had the freedom to move around alone in a city in a rickshaw, or had the choice to accompany my hubby in the car, yet thought 10 times before buying a quality product for my kid because it cost 10 times more and did not fit my budget. I could not get a decent stroller for my kid because I had some interfering people who made a huge issue if I spent so much on my own kid..... and for most women the freedom to work is of course unheard of, and unfortunately i am not the only one. Unless of couse I am an enginner,or a doctor, or a teacher, or work in a bank.

Not to mention I almost lost my child due to lack of proper medical facility where we lived, and had we not moved right on time to Calcutta to show him to a doc who charged 250 bucks for each visit, I even shudder to think of the consequences......

Today, I have to work almost 18 hrs each day to keep my house clean, cook, look after my house and kids, drop and pick them up from school and any other place they need to go,and not a single person to put food on the table if I am sick . . But in those 18 hrs, I have the freedom to do what I like, cook if I want to, or maybe just eat a sandwitch. Clean if I want to, or just decide I want to net instead. And not have a busy neighbour breathing down my neck trying to find out if I was having an affair on the sly. And I can actually work professionally, something near to impossible in India, without being a doc or an engineer or work in some equally respectable place. Not to mention the everyday tension, interference and woes your extended family brings everyday to your doorstep.

Here I can't just go out the shops or the market because there are hardly any public transport, so i have to depend on my hubby to ferry me everywhere. But I get guaranteed quality things off the racks, that too in my budget. And my kid has actually learned to say 'Good morning' to the cleaning guy on the road. For me, that is the biggest culture on earth, learning to respect a fellow human being, no matter what his job is.

I love India, I love Bengal, I miss Durga Puja like nothing else, but I would say, I don't have any misplaced sense of patriotism. For me, patriotism means trying to do whatever little you can for your country, in whatever fashion you can, from whichever part of the world you are in.

OMG!!!!

I can't explain my feelings that how much i m missing my India
& My Family & friends 😭 😭 😭

I vl love to go back to India.

Minnie

i understand every thing you have written.you are right in your sense dear. i just said this is my belief.i want to live like this.that's all. if you can serve your people living outside India that is really nice.i respect you for that.😊 but you know ,all people are not like you or those people whom you are talking about. i have seen many people abandoning their parents and relatives, beiing too much proud to live abroad  and considering this country and the people here as nasty things. i told about them .not about people like you. and the words you have written about the interference of people about the life-style of an working woman.this is really true.and exactly for this, i would like to stay here and fight to make situation better. you know,things are changing.not very quickly, but slowly. i am a working woman. i have an independent life-style and i don't bother who is telling what about me.and i have been successfull, you know. πŸ˜ƒ

but, if all people go abroad , who will live here and work for this country?πŸ˜ƒso i am among those people who would like to stay here and work here.

i think we have a lot to do staying here . we are trying to change the mentalities of ordinary women. i always inspire my girl students to be economically self-sufficient.we have a career counselling cell in our college,where we tell poor and little-educated women how to earn money with different works. academically we are working gender studies to change the curricula and make it more gender-sensitive. i know these are very small works considering the big country like india. but we are not sitting idle.we are doing something,and you must agree with me that these things are required  also. there must be some people here who will do these, who will fight with all these problems. i want to be one of these people. if NRIs help us with funds like you are saying that is also very much welcome. serving for your country is the only requirement and in this respect i agree with you.only i don't know how many NRI s think like you.

anyways, i didn't want to hurt any person here. i just told about myself.what is my point of view. and about the topic that indians always like to go abroad.otherwise,i respect every person here.😊

Edited by Rumi - 18 years ago
Minnie, you just brought all examples which I could never pen down. πŸ‘ That is so true....
I think there is no certain yes or certain no to living in India or outside. It totally depends upon individual way of thinking. And as Minnie and Rumi you both are right. People living in India have their own way to help their country and there are tons of people living in India who besides living there do nothing for their country. And just like Minnie said there are Indians who live abroad but help their country in many ways and there are also Indians living in abroad who does nothing to help their country. Like always- there are all diff. Kind of people all around the globe and you cannot generalize one cult or group. And yes, Rumi you are right that there are people here who do get an attitude after living abroad and don't care about their parents and relatives. But there are people here who do lot for their country and sponsor for kids in India to help them out in education and other ways. And there are people in India too who have attitude and don't take care of their parents.
very well said minnie!!!.....you just penned down everything that i was finding ways to convey.
Originally posted by Rumi

Minnie

i understand every thing you have written.you are right in your sense dear. i just said this is my belief.i want to live like this.that's all. if you can serve your people living outside India that is really nice.i respect you for that.😊 but you know ,all people are not like you or those people whom you are talking about. i have seen many people abandoning their parents and relatives, beiing too much proud to live abroad  and considering this country and the people here as nasty things. i told about them .not about people like you. and the words you have written about the interference of people about the life-style of an working woman.this is really true.and exactly for this, i would like to stay here and fight to make situation better. you know,things are changing.not very quickly, but slowly. i am a working woman. i have an independent life-style and i don't bother who is telling what about me.and i have been successfull, you know. πŸ˜ƒ

but, if all people go abroad , who will live here and work for this country?πŸ˜ƒso i am among those people who would like to stay here and work here.

i think we have a lot to do staying here . we are trying to change the mentalities of ordinary women. i always inspire my girl students to be economically self-sufficient.we have a career counselling cell in our college,where we tell poor and little-educated women how to earn money with different works. academically we are working gender studies to change the curricula and make it more gender-sensitive. i know these are very small works considering the big country like india. but we are not sitting idle.we are doing something,and you must agree with me that these things are required  also. there must be some people here who will do these, who will fight with all these problems. i want to be one of these people. if NRIs help us with funds like you are saying that is also very much welcome. serving for your country is the only requirement and in this respect i agree with you.only i don't know how many NRI s think like you.

anyways, i didn't want to hurt any person here. i just told about myself.what is my point of view. and about the topic that indians always like to go abroad.otherwise,i respect every person here.😊

Rumi,  You are a teacher I take it? I know when you are working in an streamlined occupation, it becomes a lot easier. Now a days, so many girls are coming forward and choosing a career that is unconventional. And making a success out of it. The metros have actually changed, with the girls becoming bolder each day. But the truth stands that for men and women both, working in conventional jobs, the opportunities to succeed are not huge. My brother in law has done very well for himself and he does not feel the need to come abroad because he has found his job satisfaction there itself,and he has seen his immense hard work pay off. I have seen so many women do very well for themselves in business and in their work places and they certainly would never give that up. My mom runs a parlour and in her free time, gives lessons to poor kids. My own cousin is a successful doctor and she would not dream of coming to US or anywhere else. My best firend is a govt school teacher and she too is very happy with her husband. But such is not the case with my husband and many like him. Unfortunately, his opportunity came here, and not in India. Had the opportunity been there, we would have happily lived there.  

Most of those who live here actually grow very close to their parents and many a times try their level best to bring them over. But in India too, I have seen men who don't take care of their parents, care a hoot if they become sick and many a times, though sometimes they genuinely don't have funds to pay for the expenses of their ailing parents. I have seen an obnoxious daughter in law who used to crib because her mother in law used too much toothpaste wasting her 'husband's' hard earned money😑 or sat with her feet up on the devan and the sofa making it 'dirty'🀒

I feel that it's not a matter of being good or bad, it's rather a matter of good intent. Perhaps there are scores of women and men who feel and work to make things better. And scores others who are siphoning of funds to fill their greed, crippling the economy each time. I have seen how the corruption almost killed a world class petroleum plant like Haldia Petro, washing away in their greed all the good intent that an NRI called Purnendu Chatterjee had.

I had a chance to meet the man and I told him clearly how rotten the administration was. Poor guy, he was so shocked. But that's how most of the things are.

Here, I have recently become a part of an NGO society who exclusively fund girl chidren in Indian subcontinent and Africa. A very young girl client of mine introduced me to it. There are hundreds of young girls like hers who are members there. During the Tsunami, these girls actually skipped going to movies and eating out ,even worked that extra weekend to donate heavily. Every Sunday they have thier meetings where we donate whatever we can and they give us a list of the places where those donations would go. They mostly encourage donations in small dennominations and materials.

we get the proof everytime that the things and the money have reached the destination.Sad part though is, whethere they actually reach the needy, we have no idea. But it does feel good to know that me and many like me are doing our part.

One of my very good friends here who has been living here for the last 15 years funded a few girl kids. One of them has recently graduated from Lucknow Medical college.  Now, that makes my heart swell with pride and makes me hope that maybe I too can make that small difference in someone's life.Rumi, it's a fact that people like you would have found ways to serve the country and make it a better place to live no matter where they were. And the fact lies that India needs courageous women like you.

Minnie !!!! i have nothing to say now! only....πŸ€—