'Television keeps your kitchen running'

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 17 years ago
'Television keeps your kitchen running'

Sooraj Thapar says he looks towards theatre for creative satisfaction

DEEPALI DHINGRA

Sooraj Thapar's been a part of the acting industry for almost two decades now but he's still hungry for roles that would give him creative satisfaction. "The greed to do good roles is always there. But the speed at which new actors are entering the television industry and the speed at which work is being done here, it really depends on your destiny what you get," he says.
   At the moment though, Sooraj is out of work and that's because his serial Resham Dankh on Star One recently went off air and Shararat too went off air some time back. "It was shocking for all of us, Mouli, Rahil and Sumeet, when Resham Dankh went off air. We were having so much fun during the shoot, so it was a bit of a shocker when it suddenly
got over. Even with Shararat, I guess something was lacking somewhere," he says. So what's he doing with his free time? "Chilling out and enjoying the Christmas and New Year season!" he laughs.
   Sooraj recently did an episodic for Sony's Mann Mein Hai Vishwas where he acted as a sardar and was widely appreciated for the same. "After that, the production guys called me and we shot for another episode. I guess they were quite happy with the response for the first one. I, on my part, was happy that even one episode could make such a difference," he adds. Theatre also keeps Sooraj busy. "Television gives you popularity and keeps your kitchen running whereas theatre gives you creative satisfaction," he says.
   Recently, the actor's personal life was in the news for his estrangement with his wife. "Yes, we have separated and the procedure for the separation is going on. I think if two people are happier being away from each other, then that's the way it should be," he says. So what's Sooraj looking forward to in the coming year? "We have selected a script for a new play so that should happen around February or March next year. I would also love to do a negative role and also host some show," he adds.