All Sports News

Posted: 17 years ago
We shall be having only one place for Sports News and the Forum will be considered for only Original Articles or Discussions.

Kindly post all Sports News here only, Therefore it will be easy for all member to view them.

Only post News with the site links here. Kindly don't post thanks, or any kind of comments here.You can thank the member via PM.

Any News from now onwards posted in the forum will be deleted.

I Hope you follow the Rules and Regulations, after all its for easy viewing and your benefit.

Regards,

India-Forums Development Group.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Chelsea 3-0 Nottingham Forest

Didier Drogba and Andriy Shevchenko
Drogba and Shevchenko celebrate
Chelsea cruised to victory over League One side Nottingham Forest to book their place in the FA Cup fifth round. The Blues opened the scoring when Andriy Shevchenko's close-range volley deflected off Forest's John Curtis. Didier Drogba added another goal with a curling 25-yard free-kick and Mikel Jon Obi then poked the ball home just before half-time. Forest's best chance came courtesy of Junior Agogo, who fired his shot across goal from 12 yards out.
Some say the FA Cup is a leveller but that was not the case at Stamford Bridge. Forest, who are third in League One, never got going and failed to put the Blues under much pressure. Before they could find their feet, the visitors found themselves a goal down when Shevchenko followed up his midweek brace against Wycombe to fire in from five yards, thanks to a massive deflection off Curtis.

Chelsea, who rarely stepped up into third gear, went two up when the influential Drogba curled in his 22nd goal of the season from a 25-yard free-kick. Unlike League Two outfit Wycombe, who lost to Chelsea in a Carling Cup semi-final, Forest did not compensate for their individual inferiority with much-needed collective bite. Consequently Lassana Diarra was allowed to control matters in the middle, which enabled Frank Lampard, Shaun Wright-Phillips and Obi to roam. And roam they did. Wright-Phillips saw his snatched shot inside the area go fractionally wide, while Lampard had two efforts from the edge of the box blocked by the Forest defence. However, the third member of the trio, Obi, did get some reward when he poked in the third goal after Lampard's corner deflected off Forest defender Julian Bennett and keeper Smith. Whatever gameplan Forest boss Colin Calderwood conjured up before the match had to be changed at the break. The Scot introduced Sammy Clingan for Grant Holt and the tweak seemed to have some positive effect, with the famous Nottingham side enjoying a good spell at the start of the half. Their best chance of the game came when Agogo eluded his marker at the edge of the area to fire his shot across the face of the Chelsea goal. But after that bright moment, Chelsea came out of their brief slumber. Lampard had a shot saved by Smith's leg, Shevchenko rifled two shots wide from inside the area, while Michael Essien had his powerful header saved on the line by Curtis. By this time the contest was over, allowing Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho the luxury of giving 16-year-old substitute Michael Woods a late run-out in the famous Chelsea colours.
Chelsea boss Jose Mourinho:
"We killed off the game in the first half and by the second half the game was over. "I brought on the kids towards the end because of our good position."
  • Forest manager Colin Calderwood:
    "It was a dream tie and we played in a dream - we were ineffective. "We didn't show any of our ability in the first half. "If you get through the opening period that's OK, but to come here and play below par wasn't good."
    Chelsea: Cech, Geremi, Essien, Carvalho, Bridge, Wright-Phillips (Morais 81), Diarra, Lampard (Woods 78), Mikel, Drogba (Kalou 61), Shevchenko.
    Subs Not Used: Cudicini, Ashley Cole. Goals: Shevchenko 9, Drogba 18, Mikel 45. Nottm Forest: Smith, Curtis, Breckin, Morgan, Bennett, Southall, Gary Holt, Perch (Dobie 72), Grant Holt (Clingan 46), Tyson, Agogo (Lester 72).
    Subs Not Used: Redmond, McGugan. Booked: Clingan, Lester. Att: 41,516 Ref: A Wiley (Staffordshire).

From: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/fa_cup/6282195.stm

• lil miz thumbnail

Khan gets knockout win in seconds

Amir Khan took less than a minute to knock out Mohammed Medjadi in the first round of their lightweight bout at Wembley Arena.

Khan dropped the Frenchman with a perfect right hook with almost the first meaningful punch he threw.

Medjadi, struggled to get up, fell back down again and he looked unstable on his legs when he did finally make it back to his feet.

Khan claimed afterwards the punch he had thrown was the best of his professional career.

He told ITV4: "His balance wasn't the best - every time you could see his left hand was dropping and I timed it perfectly.

"He was slower than me, I could see every shot. It felt good, I felt the power line through my arm.

"In my professional career it was my best shot.

"I didn't plan that. I just came in and caught him with a right hand and he went down. I caught him round the chin and he just dropped."

Edited by lil miz - 17 years ago
    Last Updated: Tuesday, 20 February 2007, 09:42 GMT
    Mourinho & Lampard to stay - Buck
    Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck
    Buck says the Chelsea board fully supports Jose Mourinho
    Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck says he expects manager Jose Mourinho and midfielder Frank Lampard to both be at the club next season. Like Mourinho, Lampard's future has been the subject of much speculation - but Buck is confident they will stay. "We are in the process of renegotiating contracts for Frank and for John Terry too," Buck told Sky Sports. "We love Jose - he has done a great job here. He told us he has not had talks with other clubs and I believe him." Lampard, 28, has been linked with a move away from Stamford Bridge and could take advantage of a ruling that would allow him to buy out the remainder of his contract and move on for a fraction of his market value. But Buck is confident he and Terry will sign up and said: "I am hopeful both will sign revised contracts and be here in the long term."
    He understands the vagaries of business. He is very supportive of what we are doing and is pleased with our progress
    Chelsea chairman Bruce Buck on Roman Abramovich
    There were reports earlier this season that Mourinho's relationship with Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich had become strained - and that he was unhappy with the club's lack of spending in the January transfer window. But Buck denied there were problems between the manager and the board. "To put the record straight - the manager, the board and the owner will never agree on all things at all times," stated Buck. "There have been many discussions over the last few years and at the end of them we have always come out with a unified course of action. "I think he has more than the support he needs." Asked if he believed Mourinho would be in charge at Stamford Bridge beyond the current campaign, Buck replied: "I do and I hope so too." Buck was also upbeat over Chelsea's latest financial results. On Monday the club announced losses of 80.2m for the year up to June 2006 - which represents an improvement of around 60m on last year's results. Buck remains confident the club will eventually be a self-sustaining business, even if they miss their break-even target of 2010. "We're still hopeful of being able to achieve that," added Buck. "The owner is aware of our business plan and we're confident of his support.

"He understands the vagaries of business. He is very supportive of what we are doing and is pleased with our progress."

From: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/637 8053.stm
    Chelsea to freeze ticket prices

Chelsea have frozen prices on all non-corporate tickets for their Premier League matches next season.
    The price freeze covers season tickets and matchday tickets for members, juveniles and senior citizens.

Chelsea also plan "significant" price reductions for Champions League group matches and to continue with reductions for domestic cup matches next season.

Blues chief executive Peter Kenyon told Chelsea's website: "We are sensitive to the economic demands on our fans."

Kenyon revealed the price freeze decision was taken after consultation with the club's Fans Forum.

He added that the reductions for domestic cup matches had "ensured that nearly all our cup matches, regardless of opposition, have been virtually sold out for the past two seasons - bringing new supporters, more families and children to Stamford Bridge."

Mascherano free to join Liverpool

Mascherano has played for West Ham and Corinthians since July
    Javier Mascherano has been cleared to play for Liverpool this season after the Premier League accepted the club's request to register him at Anfield.
    The Argentine midfielder, 22, agreed to join the Reds before the close of the transfer window last month.

The deal was held up as the Premier League wanted to assess whether the relationship between club and player was "subject to third-party influence".

But the Premier League is now satisfied the move does not breach its rules.

Mascherano flew out with the Liverpool squad for their Champions League tie with Barcelona on Wednesday and is eligible to play against the European champions.

A statement on the Premier League's website read: "The Premier League has confirmed that the application by Liverpool FC to register Javier Mascherano as a player has been accepted.

"The Premier League is satisfied that the contractual arrangements proposed by Liverpool FC are consistent with its rules; particularly that the relationship between club and player is not subject to third-party influence.

"The Premier League is grateful for Liverpool FC's cooperation and openness at the start and throughout the process."

The Premier League is grateful for Liverpool FC's cooperation and openness at the start and throughout the process

Premier League statement

Fifa granted dispensation for Mascherano to make the move at the start of the month, despite the fact he has already played for two clubs since 1 July last year - Corinthians and West Ham.

Under Fifa rules, a footballer cannot play competitively for more than two different clubs between 1 July and 30 June the following year.

However, dispensation was granted after Fifa took into consideration the fact that the South American and European seasons overlap.

Mascherano made only seven appearances for the Hammers after arriving in the summer, but said: "I have no rancour. It is obvious that I was not a player for that club.

"I want to gain the respect of the Liverpool players and win a place in the team on merit."

from: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/l/liverpool/6 379977.stm

Tuesday, 20 February 2007,

Boulahrouz set to delay surgery

Boulahrouz suffered knee ligament damage against Villa in January
    Chelsea defender Khalid Boulahrouz hopes to be back in action within a month after delaying surgery on his dislocated shoulder.
    He suffered the injury in Chelsea's 4-0 win against Norwich City in the FA Cup fifth round tie at Stamford Bridge.

It was the Holland star's first start since recovering from a knee ligament strain and he was expected to undergo surgery on his shoulder as a result.

But he will not have an operation unless the injury deteriorates.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/637 2293.stm

FC Porto v Chelsea
    Champions League first knock-out round, first leg
    FC Porto v Chelsea
    Date: Wednesday 21 February
    Kick off: 1945 GMT
    Chelsea include midfielder Michael Ballack after he recovered from a thigh suffered earlier this month. Chelsea are still without Ashley Cole (knee), Joe Cole (foot) and Khalid Boulahrouz (shoulder) but have no other fresh injuries to contend with. Porto welcome back winger Ricardo Quaresma after suspension. Coach Jesualdo Ferreira is set to revert to a 4-3-3 formation with Argentine strikers Lucho Gonzalez and Lisandro Lopez iin the line-up. Chelsea (from): Cech, Hilario, Cudicini, Ferreira, Geremi, Diarra, Carvalho, Terry, Bridge, Morais, Obi, Lampard, Makelele, Ballack, Essien, Shevchenko, Drogba, Robben, Kalou, Wright-Phillips.
    SCOUTING REPORT ON THE OPPOSITION
    Who are they? Champions of Portugal and cup winners for good measure, this is the 10th time in 12 seasons Porto have been in the competition, and the third time in succession. Recent form: They are still top of the Liga but have only just started firing on all cylinders after the winter break. Going into Christmas they were unbeaten in 13, but in the four matches since they have 50:50 win:loss ratio. After single-goal defeats to Leiria and Amadora they bounced back with a bang and sunk Naval 4-0 at the weekend. European record: They won the title by beating Monaco in 2004 under the self-styled 'Special One', Jose Mourinho. He refused to celebrate, moved on to Chelsea and Porto's fortunes have since dwindled as the squad broke up. How did they get here? By winning the bwin Liga. Ones to watch: Much has changed since Jose Mourinho left Porto, but he will need no second introduction to striker Helder Postiga whom he helped to develop while he was in charge at the Dragao. If the name rings a bell it is because he had a poor spell at Spurs, but now back in his homeland he has twice helped dump England out of major competitions, is banging in the goals and is the club's leading scorer this term. He has been ably supported by Lucho Gonzalez, Lisandro Lopez and the quicksilver Ricardo Quaresma. Did you know? That quartet have scored 68% of Porto's goals this season, Postiga weighing in with 10, Gonzalez nine, Lopez eight and Quaresma seven. And if Chelsea are to prioritise who to keep quiet they should keep tabs on Argentine duo Gonzalez and Lopez. When they have scored this term, Porto have won.
    BIG MATCH STATS
    Definitions of terms used:- Champions League (CL) - only group phase matches and beyond of this competition which began in 1992-93.
    Champions Cup/Champions League - all matches played since it began in 1955-56 including qualification matches.
    European matches - all matches played in the major European tournaments (Fairs Cup, Uefa Cup, Cup Winners' Cup, Champions Cup, Champions League).
    Uefa Super Cups, Intertoto Cups and the old Intercontinental Cup competition are excluded.
    Head-to-heads FC Porto and Chelsea have met each other twice in European history. Both matches were played in the group phase of the 2004-05 Champions League. On 29 September, Chelsea won 3-1 at Stamford Bridge with goals from Smertin, Drogba and Terry for the home side and Benni McCarthy for Porto. In the reverse match on 7 December, Porto won 2-1. Duff gave the English side the lead, but Diego and Benni McCarthy secured victory for the Portuguese. Porto have a very good record in home matches against clubs from England; unbeaten in all nine meetings (four wins, five draws). Chelsea have never played a club from Portugal in a European match, apart from Porto. European history FC Porto won the Champions League in the 2003-04 season, defeating AS Monaco 3-0 in the final. They have also won the Champions Cup (1987), the Uefa Cup (2003), the European Super Cup (1987) and the Intercontinental Cup (1987, 2004) twice. This is their 12th Champions League season, a record jointly held with Manchester United. Chelsea's biggest success in European competition is winning the Cup Winners' Cup twice (1971 and 1998). They also won the European Super Cup in 1998. This is their fifth CL participation. They have now reached at least the last 16 in each of their four CL campaigns, and were semi-finalists in 2003-04 and 2004-05. Current European form Porto are unbeaten in their last five home matches in the Champions League. Their last home defeat came on 28 September 2005 when succumbing 2-3 to Artmedia Bratislava. Overall, FC Porto have not lost in their last four CL matches. Their last defeat dates back to 26 September 2006 when Arsenal beat them 2-0. Player and disciplinary info Joe Cole (Chelsea) will suffer a ban if booked. John Terry (Chelsea) returns after suspension. Lisandro Lopez and Luis Gonzalez are Porto's top scorers in this competition with four goals. Gonzalez, Bruno Alves, Helton and Pepe are all yet to miss a minute this season. Andriy Shevchenko is the most experienced Chelsea player with 84 CL appearances. He's also the most prolific goalscorer in Chelsea's squad with 44 career CL goals. Michael Essien is the only player to have been on the field for every minute of the Londoners' CL campaign this season. Other miscellaneous facts This is the 150th match in Europe's elite club competition, the Champions Cup/Champions League combined, for the Oporto-based club. Their next defeat will be the club's 50th in the history of the Champions Cup/Champions League. Porto lead the Portuguese League with 43 points from 18 matches, holding a four-point advantage over Benfica. Chelsea are going strong in all four competitions. The Carling Cup finalists and FA Cup quarter-finalists trail Manchester United by six points at the top of the Premiership.

Big Match Stats source: Infostrada Sports

Larsson snubs Man Utd extension

Larsson joined Man Utd in the January transfer window
    Henrik Larsson will not extend his loan period at Manchester United and is set to leave the club next month.
    The 35-year-old Swedish striker, who began his loan spell with the Premiership leaders in January, will return to Helsingborg on 12 March.

"I'm not saying that I'm not flattered or grateful to get the opportunity to extend my stay but there are other things I need to think about," he said.

"The Swedish season starts at the end of March. I need to get back for it."

606: DEBATE
    I'm gutted that Larsson is going home because I could see him playing a major part in our run-in

IR
    606: Have your say

The former Celtic and Barcelona forward also revealed he was not comfortable with having to commute from Sweden.

"I am going back and forward and it's not an ideal situation," he said.

But he added: "This is a great adventure for me.

"I arrived in January and I'm going home in March to play in Sweden. It suits me perfectly."

Larsson has scored two goals in eight games for United, including a strike on his debut against Aston Villa.

He made an impact at Celtic, where he scored 242 goals in over 300 games after joining the Scottish giants in 1997, and found the net twice during the 3-2 defeat by Porto in the 2003 Uefa Cup final.

There was better luck in European competition for the Swede last season when he came on as substitute to help Barcelona beat Arsenal 2-1 in the Champions League final.

On the international stage, Larsson has scored 36 goals in 93 games for Sweden, finding the target in three World Cups.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/man_utd/637 7927.stm

lil miz thumbnail
    Amir Khan fights child cruelty

Boxing sensation Amir Khan is the NSPCC's latest
    ambassador for children.

Amir has supported the NSPCC since 2004. As NSPCC ambassador, he will work closely with our schools teams to help children understand what abuse is, encourage them to talk about abuse and ensure they know where to turn to if they need help.

Amir Khan said: "It is an honour to be appointed an NSPCC ambassador and it is a role I will take very seriously. I am lucky that I have always had friends and family around me, encouraging me to follow my dreams - some children just dream of a life free from abuse and cruelty. I hope my appointment will encourage more children to have confidence to speak out and believe in themselves."

http://www.nspcc.org.uk/whatwedo/mediacentre/celebritysuppor ters/ambassadors/amirkhan_wda41633.html
    Edited by lil miz - 17 years ago