Book Talk

Recommend - A - BOOK! - Page 5

simikr thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 16 years ago
I hope more people respond becoz I love reading books even though I don't always get time.

Name: My French Whore by Gene Wilder
Genre: Fiction
Summary: Despite it's title it is infact a very nice old fashioned love story about about a brave soldier who thinks that he is a coward. I borrowed the book mainly becoz I was curious since the author is a welknown Hollywood actor. But after reading it I was pleasantly surprised.

Rating: at least 4/5 Edited by simiv - 16 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

lotus2007 thumbnail
Hi! simiv can you please tell me more about this book.it seems to be a nice book,old fashion love story,sounds nice.I like these kind of books.
And tell us the reason why, after reading this book you was pleasantly surpriesd?

Lotus.😉
simikr thumbnail
Thanx for your curiosity in the book.

First of all it is based in the time of the world war and the prose and writing style is very simple making it an easy read. The hero is depicted as more or less a very simple and straightforward person, who takes risks and also falls in love with a french girl.

I was pleasantly surprised because I rarely have had the opportunity to read such books nowadays, even the Germans are depicted as human beings with a heart in this book.

Simi
simikr thumbnail

Hope that you will like this book, Lotus.

Simi

Edited by simiv - 16 years ago
lotus2007 thumbnail
You mian to say the period of second world war,not first world war right?
Thanks for reply,and a nice reason to be surprised. 😆

Lotus.😉
sidivyapall thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Name: Speak

Genre: Teen Fiction

Story Outline: the story is about a high school freshman named, Melinda. something happens at a party that Melinda and her friends go to over the summer b4 their school starts, and Melinda ends up calling the cops... and from then on everyone including her bnest friend treats her like an outcast.
Why do you recommend it: i'd recommend it bcoz it was a treat for me to read, and I was able to relate a lot to Melinda in some ways, coz i read when i first started high school...

Other comment: anyone starting high school or going to a new school should defo read this novel!!!!

Rating(scale of 1-5, 5 being the best): 4.5 Edited by Sai-licious - 16 years ago
ravina1994 thumbnail
Harry Potter (all of em), A series of unfortunate Events, and Savin Zoe
NYC_gurl_17 thumbnail
Name: My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult

Genre: Realistic Fiction..

Story Outline {Back of the Book}

Anna is not sick, but she might as well be. By age thirteen, she has undergone countless surgeries, transfusions, and shots so that her older sister, Kate, can somehow fight the leukemia that has plagued her since childhood. The product of preimplantation genetic diagnosis, Anna was conceived as a bone marrow match for Kate — a life and a role that she has never challenged...until now. Like most teenagers, Anna is beginning to question who she truly is. But unlike most teenagers, she has always been defined in terms of her sister — and so Anna makes a decision that for most would be unthinkable, a decision that will tear her family apart and have perhaps fatal consequences for the sister she loves.

My Sister's Keeper examines what it means to be a good parent, a good sister, a good person. Is it morally correct to do whatever it takes to save a child's life, even if that means infringing upon the rights of another? Is it worth trying to discover who you really are, if that quest makes you like yourself less? Should you follow your own heart, or let others lead you? Once again, in My Sister's Keeper, Jodi Picoult tackles a controversial real-life subject with grace, wisdom, and sensitivity.

Why do you recommend it: Its such a good book, i read all of it in one day. I couldn't stop reading it. Its so emotional and touching all at once. It actually is written by each characters point of view.

Other comment: This is based on a true story. There is a girl who has leukemia whose real name is katie and there was an actual baby made for her. Oh and be sure to have a box of tissues because i can guarantee that you're going to cry. 

Rating(scale of 1-5, 5 being the best): 5 👏 Edited by NYC_gurl_17 - 16 years ago
shellytt thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail

Name : To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Genre: Fiction (This is a classic Novel)

Story Outline:
This story is told through the eyes of a little girl, Scout. It is set in around 1960's US. The central thread of the book is about Scout and her brother growing up and being raised by their single father in a time when racisim and prejudices was high. One of the major, climatic storylines was her father's defence of a black labourer in court and the effect that this unpopular stance had on the family.

Why do you recommed it? - This book is a great coming of age story of a young girl. It is beautifully written and carries a strong message.

Rating: 5 (Can't improve on a classic and even the author knew that because she never wrote another book after this and her reason was that she said everything she needed to say in this book)

Edited by shellytt - 16 years ago
shellytt thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: yourmom

i agree 100% this is the best book to read. its amazing. its truly a book you'll remember forever.

100% Agree. - A bit of a tedious read at first but so worth it!