Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

EatPrayLove thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
Posted: 13 years ago
Originally posted by: truth_wins

I find Gone With The Wind racist sometimes.

Well, it IS a little racist. I found myself flinching many a times at the words used to describe the blacks. But there ARE umpteen instances in the novel where Scarlett, Rhett and other lead protagonists show their affection to their slaves!
Not that it justifies their racist comments, but somehow their behaviour becomes understandable and you don't see the characters in a negative light. It's just their way of life.

Edited by mayur16 - 13 years ago
Originally posted by: mayur16

Well, it IS a little racist. I found myself flinching many a times at the words used to describe the blacks. But there ARE umpteen instances in the novel where Scarlett, Rhett and other lead protagonists show their affection to their slaves!
Not that it justifies their racist comments, but somehow their behaviour becomes understandable and you don't see the characters in a negative light. It's just their way of life.

I agree and the relationship Scarlett shared with her Mammy was so cute,Pork with Gerald was great too.
Even though the book is a little racist I still like it,I loved Scarlett,Rhett,Melanie and Gerald.
I wish there was a sequel to this book....well there IS a sequel but not by the same author so I don't want to read it.😳
cute_smart_ash thumbnail
Hi!

I don't post replies on forums by habit but your feeling about reading the sequel to Gone with the wind correlated with mine before I read scarlett. I sincerely suggest you to read it. You won't for a single moment feel that it has been written by another writer :)
The Da-Vinci Code, One Hundred Years Of Solitude, Wuthering Heights, Lord Of The Rings Trilogy turned out trashy for me. They could be best sellers, but fail as being readable or good literature beyond some fancy literary trick.

Love Story by Erich Segal

The most boring book ever. People were going gaga over it so I thought of giving it a go but it was dead boring. I thought it would have something better but the story disappointed me :(

x x
MagicalKash thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Dan brown 's book. I somehow cannot like any of his book . They never appeal to me . I remember I bought Da Vinci Code after all the hype and was expecting it to be good . But it just dissapointed me! Also Paulo Cohelo books are over-hyper ESP " The winner can't stand alone"
RainNshine thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 4
It has to be twilight. There isn't anything else worthy of being called trashy 🤣 sorry fans, but i really didn't get what the hype was all about!
Apart from bella's swooning over edward's beauty, what really was there?
No character development! Bella was portrayed a VERY weak female who possibly depended on her husband to do everything for her. There isn't a good plot.
Butchering of myths! Like how on earth did vampires begin to sparkle?
Edward's really boring at times, 🥱 and really corny.
Jacob imprinting on a child (who biologically can't exist!) was funny and disgusting, considering the fact that he once loved her mother. Ew!
And one of the many reasons why i detest that book is because people compare it to HARRY POTTER! Like seriously! do they have nothing else to do that compare a rock with a diamond?
Oh and yes, Smeyer's style of writing is pathetic. She uses synonyms for 'perfect','flawless' etc. We get the point Smeyer! Now get a move on with the plot! But no, still there reading an entire passage dedicated to his beauty! 🤢

AbhayVakil_1992 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Twilight..Sorry to all their fans..I still dont get it
The whole Bella and Edward thing..hasnt grown on me yet
I love Taylor Lautner though:)
chocobear thumbnail
There are so many to name but one book that i found trashy was Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children. I felt it was an out and out overhyped book and complete trash.
Twilight......you have to disregard how dependent Bella is on men in her life otherwise you can't finish it

Gone with the Wind is my favorite book and I think it is a little racist. The book is set in the south during the Civil War and the author and her  family (which it is based on) were all white Southerners, so obviously it isn' t going to be nice to blacks or northerners for that matter. In fact, black people at that time were at the lowest ring of society and were commonly called names like the "n word". It would actually be more far-fetched if they were getting along with each other during the Reconstruction era (after the Civil War). And it's true that a lot of blacks who found work did the same exact jobs they did as slaves.

But overall that shouldn't be the reason to detract you from reading it. History is ugly, no matter how sugar-coated some events are in the present. The author at least did not show vicious mistreatment of slaves, as I've unfortunately read in other novels. I have to read Uncle Tom's Cabin for one of my classes and I hope that doesn't scar me. And yes, the first 200 or so pages of the book are TEDIOUS but the ending is so devastating and is a literal cliffhanger😆

And I've read Scarlett the Sequel...it completely butchers the story👎🏼 but read it if you want closure from the last scene in the original novel😆
Edited by koolchick - 13 years ago