Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sakura* thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
i kno all of u will disagree with me but i think 'emma' by 'jane austen' is really boring i read sth like 100 pgs and then i gave up.the same thing keeps on going on and on and nothing interesting happens. but everyone else who read it says that it is a very good book.
marvelous.malks thumbnail
Originally posted by: WoHaXItZxAaKi

now sam[i think thts ur name] i disagree wid u...! to me...harry potter is soo over-rated!! I was hoping that someone would actually mention harry potter in this thread and was pleased by seeing this. I dont think by writing this fantasy series J.K. Rowling deserved to be the richest writer in the literary history! since there are books way better than this! [jus my poin of view]  

Of course, Harry Potter has its technique of catching reader's interests, but, I somehow also don't like the book.  I have only read the first one, because I started it.  I also found it so boring. 

Once again, it depends on your selection, and what genre you prefer.  I, for one, am not into magic, wands, and the magical world that Harry Potter illustrates.

devilangel thumbnail
Originally posted by: marvelous.malks

Of course, Harry Potter has its technique of catching reader's interests, but, I somehow also don't like the book.  I have only read the first one, because I started it.  I also found it so boring. 

Once again, it depends on your selection, and what genre you prefer.  I, for one, am not into magic, wands, and the magical world that Harry Potter illustrates.

well.. she doesnt have a very good writing style.. i like her imagination and all that.. but when it comes to style she has nil..  no offence k? but i dont like how she blames killing dumbly and stuff on author constraints.. you dont always have to completely stereotypical i think..

once again..no offence

devilangel thumbnail
Originally posted by: devilangel

well.. she doesnt have a very good writing style.. i like her imagination and all that.. but when it comes to style she has nil..  no offence k? but i dont like how she blames killing dumbly and stuff on author constraints.. you dont always have to completely stereotypical i think.. and yes, its about what genre you prefer.. me, personally, i dont like teenage, romance or fantasy books.. so guess that didnt work out 😳

once again..no offence

Eloquent thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 2

well.. she doesnt have a very good writing style.. i like her imagination and all that.. but when it comes to style she has nil..  no offence k? but i dont like how she blames killing dumbly and stuff on author constraints.. you dont always have to completely stereotypical i think..

once again..no offence

I completely disagree with you..Harry Potter is the best series I have ever read...what else do you need other than a good plot dear? A plot IS one of the main requisites for writing a story..now you can't have a book without a plot..so I so totally disagree.

As for killings, I think it was done very nicely and perfectly..she demonstrated to me that life can be taken away in a second....

As for the magic aspect..I like it as hers is the best explanation on magic I have ever read. Most books give a very vague and incomplete info on magic and most probably it is only the main protagonist who can do magic and that too...it suddenly erupts out of him...from his hands or feet
Jo has created a complete society and a whole commuity of magic..a society which has the same human flaws of greed, manipulations, psychopaths, poverty, bigotry, wars and destruction and much more.
In short, her world isn't the perfect lil place with all people being goody goody two shoes, like in all the magical books
Plus I love the characterization very much. It rocks!👏 You can't say it's a children's book or adult book coz, as the protagonist has grown up..so have the books...and I find that very unique and I doubt I would find this in any series I have read so far.

And one thing I loved was..she gave friendship preference over romance...and the love stories are always in the background and used as comic sub plots. Not only friendship..she has shown so many different types of relationships an the impact they have on the protagonist...
I am well fed up of the cliched romancing in almost every book I read
Morgoth thumbnail

once again..no offence

JKR isn't a literary author, so writing style is not really important here. She writes for the masses, not the critics. Obviously, she is not going to get the Booker Prize or the Orange Prize. But, the plot in itself is fairly complex and the themes introduced are really mature compared to other children's novels.

She could have easily kept Dumbledore alive and kept all of us happy. But, she killed him off because she wanted to show Harry's independence. His going forward alone makes the whole fight scene between him and Voldy all the more powerful. Dumbledore was Harry's crutch and your crutches don't always support you.

~Sirius*Ysh~ thumbnail
[quote=T]JKR isn't a literary author, so writing style is not really important here. She writes for the masses, not the critics. Obviously, she is not going to get the Booker Prize or the Orange Prize. But, the plot in itself is fairly complex and the themes introduced are really mature compared to other children's novels.

She could have easily kept Dumbledore alive and kept all of us happy. But, she killed him off because she wanted to show Harry's independence. His going forward alone makes the whole fight scene between him and Voldy all the more powerful. Dumbledore was Harry's crutch and your crutches don't always support you.

[/quote]
comletely agree with every single word of tanaz! i mean i love her books and all (harsh dunt get on my case!😆) but this is how i feel about tham!!!!!!
cool_yv thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 14 years ago
Yeah, me too agree with most both one night and three mistakes were overrated
wonkyfaint thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
That has to Twilight! UGH!
wonkyfaint thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail

But see, there's a LOT more to it than a bunch of magic and magical items, etc. that's just the first 2 books, the books and the characters get more and more complex, it's like a butterfly, so beautiful in the way the characters grow.

And trust me, it's the ONLY fantasy series that are VERY relevant to the REAL world today. The messages the books give are deeply spiritual in nature and the books are filled with hundreds of significant quotes.

Morever, it has such a varied bunch of life-like characters, each one is different from the next, that believe me, chances are you'll find one or many characters that you'll relate to on a very personal basis.😳

Anway, this is just my opinion and I do suggest you give it a second chance.😊

Edited by VirgoVixen - 14 years ago