College & University

Why do you study?

samir_soni thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

For some people studying is for fun, to learn something new. Others study to please parents, to get a good job or to geta promotion in current job. I even heard people saying they study because there is nothing else to do

Why do you study?

Do you think if you get a post graduate your life will be better socially and economically? Can you be sure with so many educated job less people around?

Do you thrive to learn something new? Does a text book fascinates you?

I guess we grew up to learn that reading/studying is not geeky....waiting to hear your view.

Edited by datspreets - 17 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

datspreets thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
Why do you study?
I study because everyone does. In a sense studying is necessary to learn and build your skills. But I mainly study to make a good career, and to do my parents and myself proud!

Do you think if you get a post graduate your life will be better socially and economically? Can you be sure with so many educated job less people around?
The life may not be economically so good, but socially I'm certain it'd be, cause educatioed people are respected!

And I'm certain I'd get a job/work because in my field of study, ie CA, you can ahve your own practice. Plus, I'm certain I want to start my own little business, maybe that should help a handful of jobless people too 😳

I defintely want to learn new things, but a text book bores me. I read the text book and try to use the knowledge in practical life, or atleast try to comprehend the use of what we learn at school in our practical life!

Study would be more interesting if all subjects were practical! πŸ˜†

Rimi, good topic!

Preets

*~Sapna~* thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Why do you study?

I can't say because I love to...but I think...because I know I will have a better future...

Do you think if you get a post graduate your life will be better socially and economically? Can you be sure with so many educated  job less people around?

yea it will be.. I think educated ppl understand ppl around them much better...and as Preeti said iwll be respected more too...

sometimes they do...coz the subject that I study is very interesting...😊

Anastacia thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Why do you study? I study because I have to and because I want to become successful and well-learned.

Do you think if you get a post graduate your life will be better socially and economically? Can you be sure with so many educated  job less people around? Yes, I know for sure it will be better economically.

Do you thrive to learn something new? Does a text book fascinates you? Yes, I do thrive to learn something new, but not something that I have to know for a test. I sometimes end up memorizing things and forget them later. A text book fascinates me if it's interesting. πŸ˜ƒ

crosby87 thumbnail
Why do you study?
To prove to my parents that I'm not worthless and actually will do something with my life.

Both economically and socially... ye i can open up my own clinic.

Anything with chemistry and physics fascinates me... so i will thrive to learn about itSome textbooks actually do i rather read them then go to class, which iwas wat i do for many of my classes i dont bother going to lectures anymore all because of the textbooks πŸ˜› πŸ˜‰
pari911 thumbnail
Why do you study?
For the sake of better future. To gain knowldege about the things that happen and the reason (history) behind it.
And also to make my parents happy...lolz.. tat's the most imp thing in one's life. πŸ˜›

Definitely not, post graduate life just increases one's knowldege of the existing enviornment and if one calls it high social status then sure.. But economically? is the question since there are other ingredients needed for a person to be economically well.

Absoultely, but sometimes, the text book has to be something that interests one's own interest. Learning new enables us to see the world more neutrally, if with open mind the knowldege is observed then the all problems of the world would solved. But since our human nature... doesn't understand the simple fact.

That's what i use to think as a person who studies all the time is a geek. however, in my opinion there are types of geeks. one who studies and have those thick glasses. but with the time the definition of geek constatly changes..

At one point in time he wanted to become a photographer.

Edited by Naina_Manam - 17 years ago
~Simmi~ thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail

Why do you study? Its better than working full time

Do you think if you get a post graduate your life will be better socially and economically? Can you be sure with so many educated  job less people around? yeah..maybe..it will be better..who knows..

Do you thrive to learn something new? Does a text book fascinates you? I thrive to learn something new always but my text books dont fascinate me..I learn only from the softwares at the back of the book

WillSmith456 thumbnail
Why do you study?
for gaining more skills and ideasπŸ˜›

Definitely not, post graduate life just increases one's knowldege of the existing enviornment and if one calls it high social status then sure.. But economically? is the question since there are other ingredients needed for a person to be economically well.

yeh so many cds books and other sourcesare there.Its seems like its won't end. All we have to do is study and studyπŸ˜ƒ

~Nikki thumbnail

hi samir_soni! thanks for the post.

Why do you study? I study because I want to learn about the world I live in and become an educated person, because the world needs educated people and also I want to be an intellectual person.

Do you think if you get a post graduate your life will be better socially and economically? Can you be sure with so many educated  job less people around? It really depends on what field you are studying in/for. I think that if you are educated you have a much better chance as oppose to if you weren't.

Do you thrive to learn something new? Does a text book fascinates you? I thrive to learn new things, because I think its interesting. You should learn something new each day! Learning is fun, but for me I study for things even if I don't like the subject. But that's mainly for school & to get a good grade. Some text books fascinate me, but some don't. I would love to read books on health and science. In contrast, a book on like the principles of studying theology (i made that up) would bore me to death!

Naina_Manam thumbnail
Excellent topic, Rimi!!!

Why do you study?

Well, I don't really think that there is only one reason behind why I study. It's a combination of various.

1. I study because everytime I open a textbook there is a new information waiting for me to be acknowledged! Learning new things has always been my hobby!

2. I study for my parents.  They want to see me successful and I want to fulfill their dream!

3. I study because I want to be an educated girl. I don't want to dependent on anyone. I believe that there isn't one thing in this world that I can't know, thus, I have to expand my knowledge to know them.

4. And I study because when I take tests and get A or A+ it just gives me a personal satisfaction. It gives a source of achievement and inspiration of keeping the standard the next time!

It's true that all educated people don't do economically well ... that  I believe is that part that destiny plays but after all life is not all about money, is it?

There is something called satisfaction and achievement and if you can get those two without being Bill Gates, well, you are lucky!

I am obsessed with learning new things... But whether or not a book fascinates me really depends on the authors and their style... Sometimes they do sometimes they are just too boring but nonetheless I am interested in everything that offers me a new dish on the plate! 😊