Book Club discussion of Kite Runner

Posted: 17 years ago

Hey friends,

start discussing the book Kite Runner here as soon as you start reading it, This can include any interesting points that you come across, your views on anything in the book, debate on some issue in the topic...just about anything and everything that is related to this book can be discussed here. :)

Edited by naina_manam - 17 years ago
Sorry, guys, I can't join you because I read books at my pace, of my choice, at my time... Too complicated, right? ๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜ณ Anyways, an excellent choice for the book!

Enjoy reading it guys, and have fun!  I am making this a sticky!๐Ÿ˜Š
I've just got hold of my copy  of Kite Runner which I borrowed from the university library...Unfortunatley have an exam this week but I have sort of started ...sort of๐Ÿ˜Š

Awesome book ! I read it last year, but I won't spoil anything for you...still looking forwards for discussion topics ๐Ÿ˜ณ

IF YOU HAVE NOT READ THE BOOK, DO NOT PROCEED FURTHER. I INTEND TO DISCUSS IT THOROUGHLY AND WILL MAKE REFERENCES TO MAJOR SPOILERS AND KEY PLOT POINTS.

What I loved about this book was the simplicity in the author's narration.

The most powerful metaphor was likening Hassan to a lamb being slaughtered.

However, what angered me the most (apart from that b๐Ÿคฌ sodomist Assef, who I would have liked to chop up and feed to the hounds), was Amir's character in the beginning! ๐Ÿ˜ก

I know that while it was lack of courage which prevented Amir from saving Hassan from being raped, he did not stop him from leaving! He completely alienated him when Hassan needed him the most!

Then Baba! What kind of a man would let his Hazara son to go away from him when he loved him more than his Pashtun son?

This comes back to the issue of divides in society and the kind of prejudices which arise in it. Isn't it a HUMAN flaw to be unwilling to challenge and stand up to injustice?

Yes, Amir and Baba pissed me off. Amir because he treated his best friend (half-brother) like dirt out of jealousy and Baba for having the libido to father a child, but not have the gumption to stop him from leaving because of his Hazara heritage.

But, maybe I was angry because they represented what a lot of us are like today. We refuse to stand up to injustice and prejudice and fight against them.

Did anyone else read the book?
I have just started ...read a few pages only. I am not reading your discussion above thinking its for after reading the entire book, right?

Originally posted by sweet_kp

I have just started ...read a few pages only. I am not reading your discussion above thinking its for after reading the entire book, right?

Yes, yes...its for the whole book. Don't read it until you finish the book ๐Ÿ˜›

I was just wondering if anyone else had managed to read it yet. ๐Ÿ˜Š

Jus grabbed my copy today and started reading it..and intend it finish it in one read... will get back here soon to join the discussion! ๐Ÿ˜Š
OMG so sorry, but I won't be able to participate in this discussion. My book come on hold, but couldn't retrieve it due to lack of time. Will read this over the summer though.