Indian culture and traditions

Posted: 17 years ago

There are some threads where I have read arguments how western impact is degrading our Indian culture and tradition which made me ponder and post some questions.

If one argues to follow tradition and culture as it is then shouldn't they be discarding everything western and become truly Indian? Isn't it hypocrisy to adopt what suits one in western culture and then be vocal about its bad impact on our Indian tradition and culture? Where do we draw the line? Who has the right to draw it? Who decides what is strictly Indian? Is there anything called strictly Indian tradition? Didn't we evolve by adopting various cultures?

There were some similar threads in the past too  

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/485616

https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/486920

Edited by Maya_M - 17 years ago
Originally posted by Maya_M

There are some threads where I have read arguments how western impact is degrading our Indian culture and tradition which made me ponder and post some questions.

If one argues to follow tradition and culture as it is then shouldn't they be discarding everything western and become truly Indian? Isn't it hypocrisy to adopt what suits one in western culture and then be vocal about its bad impact on our Indian tradition and culture? Where do we draw the line? Who has the right to draw it? Who decides what is strictly Indian? Is there anything called strictly Indian tradition? Didn't we evolve by adopting various cultures?

There was a thread on something similar  

Ofcourse it is hypocricy and confusion.  Indian born confused Indian-ness.. πŸ˜‰ 
Jatayu said it well in his post.  Moreover, we complain and whine about Western influence but fail to acknowledge that there is something called Western Trash and Western Class.   If someone is trashy enough to get inspiration from and influece of Western trash, then why blame the WESTERNIZATION?   My pet peeve and yours!  πŸ˜• 
Blame the trash within πŸ˜†πŸ˜†.  

Did Bill Gates sleep around to generate illegitimate kids he does not afford to feed?  Does he cheat on his wife (to our knowledge)?  Is he not Western?   When do we finally begin to see Western contribution in a colorless light?

Indian culture is something to revere.  Mocking trashy practices of other cultures don't have the power to ruin Indian culture that dates back to centuries BC.   One can only degrade themselves and people around themselves.  In spite of having adopted to a Western life-style,  I can tell that many of us have understood the true meaning our culture and its value as a mosaic, as is apparent from Maya's beautifully written post! πŸ‘

mqt

Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago

There was a thread on something similar  

Indian tradition and culture is what was established by way of rituals amongst hindus and obeyed customs.. For eg. joining you palms in prayer is not a borrowed custom, the time when it was conceived none of the known religions existed... offering water to a visting guest is quite common custom , touching feet and taking blessing of the elders which is not seen to have originated anywhere...hierarchy of sexes though followed in all cultures is most well established in the Indian culture. A lot of things which come as a part of muslim culture again blends the indian culture.. the muslims and christains in India are quite different and unique.. If you look at muslims of the middle east, eastern europe and russia and africa... they are nowhere close to the Indian muslims not only in terms of their dress and local tradition but also they have that indianness in them... Indian woman getting special repect as the giver, the unique status which parents hold, teachers hold. all this makes up for what constitutes indian culture and i might have covered just a decimal fraction of what it is. What we perceive as hypocrisy is people trying to redefine the principles which have been followed and exsiting for over 3000 years and suddenly thinking all that was just a hoax and here are the things I thnk are right.. culture never evolves.. If it is looks like its evolving is only cos we get rid of certain superstitions in them.World over it can only deteriorate as people become more rational and have their pseudo-intellect interspersed in it. Classic example is wester europe where cultures have simply eroding at a fast pace.Certain things like superstitions can always be gotten rid of but its incorrect to think that everything can be gotten rid of. The veri existence of these values and its sustaining power define the perfectness of this extremely thought of abstraction.

To understand any culture its necessary to understand the reason for its formation. I cant go on this is too huge a topic... 😊

People might have defied/ vandalized insulted these values as individuals or small groups but the point to note is these people have perished the values remain...😊..

Edited by qwertyesque - 17 years ago
Qwerty, nobody has challenged those with the western influence. It is about retaining whatever makes them great, yet accepting changes that could make life more meaningful, and easier in the contemporary society. Who does not respect our indian culture? Everybody does. It is about "growing with it" that people unfortunately undermine.

A crazy example - my great granny had no premarital sex and also abided by the great traditions ...  because she married when she was 9 πŸ˜‰..  !!

Things change with advent of science and technology, improved social status and independence of women,  and one has to  accept certain new norms and yet try to retain that is CHERISHABLE.. 
Cherishable chastity is perishable.  One cannot bash another culture and LIVE IN DENIAL about things happening around!   That's all. 

better acceptance of new influence= lack of denial = better dialogue = better understanding = better dealing with issues

whereas

bashing western influence = suffocating those who want to experiment & learn what it is all about= losing 1/2 of them wandering and practicing trashy behaviour and other half confused = denial of troubled situation = failure of the system
Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago

Originally posted by mermaid_QT

Qwerty, nobody has challenged those with the western influence. It is about retaining whatever makes them great, yet accepting changes that could make life more meaningful, and easier in the contemporary society. Who does not respect the culture? It is about "growing with it" that people unfortunately undermine.

Agreed but this should be large acceptable not a individual matter of belligerent perception. Growing is fine the question we need to understand change better is it growth and evolution or decadence...😊.... Thats why sometimes blind faith works since if not anything it has the ability to just uphold the values through generations.. questioning doesnt always mean you are always getting the right answers...😊

Ofcourse it is hypocricy and confusion.  Indian born confused Indian-ness.. πŸ˜‰ 
Jatayu said it well in his post.  Moreover, we complain and whine about Western influence but fail to acknowledge that there is something called Western Trash and Western Class.   If someone is trashy enough to get inspiration from and influece of Western trash, then why blame the WESTERNIZATION?   My pet peeve and yours!  πŸ˜• 
Blame the trash within πŸ˜†πŸ˜†.  

Did Bill Gates sleep around to generate illegitimate kids he does not afford to feed?  Does he cheat on his wife (to our knowledge)?  Is he not Western?   When do we finally begin to see Western contribution in a colorless light?

Indian culture is something to revere.  Mocking trashy practices of other cultures don't have the power to ruin Indian culture that dates back to centuries BC.   One can only degrade themselves and people around themselves.  In spite of having adopted to a Western life-style,  I can tell that many of us have understood the true meaning our culture and its value as a mosaic, as is apparent from Maya's beautifully written post! πŸ‘

mqt

Very well said QTπŸ‘ and thanks for the compliment😳

Qwerty, nobody has challenged those with the western influence. It is about retaining whatever makes them great, yet accepting changes that could make life more meaningful, and easier in the contemporary society. Who does not respect the culture? It is about "growing with it" that people unfortunately undermine. 
yeah, my great granny had no premarital sex because she married when she was 9 πŸ˜‰..  Things change and one has to get matured in accepting certain norms and figuring means to retain what is PURE..  one cannot bash another culture and LIVE IN DENIAL about things happening around!   That's all. 

better acceptance of new influence= lack of denial = better dialogue = better understanding = better dealing with issues

whereas

bashing western influence = suffocating those who want to experiment & learn what it is all about= losing 1/2 of them wandering and practicing trashy behaviour and other half confused = denial of troubled situation = failure of the system

EVerybody questions americans question american values..the first amendment screws them real bad.... the point in americans think life is short and nothing matters.. i can behave like a primitive as long as I am ready to face the consequences... We on the other hand think of transition.. passing of values and traditions.. most Indian gals in the US are screwed up right there.. bet' customs and traditions and that cloudy vacuum. So they dont know do i wear a sari or a sindoor/mangalsutra to show i am married or just dont care.. i wear anything i like i am liberated but then how many attend marriages and related functions in jeans and halter-tops?.... the point is call a spade a spade dont misuse freedom to denounce values which you follow at some point of time possibly blindly...

Edited by qwertyesque - 17 years ago
Originally posted by qwertyesque

questioning doesnt always mean you are always getting the right answers...😊

But with the question, you are one step closer to someone who could have the answer.  Having a curious QUESTION, rather than a Biassed opinion is a great beginning πŸ˜ƒ
qt

Some of the posts made in the past on IF related to this thread.

Originally posted by Jatayu

I would also add that we have assimilated every culture that has come our way and made it our own. Today, I suppose no culture can be called alien to us for we have seen it all, we have done it all and we have lived it all.
Originally posted by Abhijit Shukla

I follow traditions to mkae others around me happy - if they are not overly  inconvenient and cruel or de-humanizing. It just cuts down upon aggravation. If it were up to me, I would break all traditions and see what happens. When I go to take an exam, I go and join hands in front of the collection of Gods my parents have. It would bother me otherwise that they would be bothered and distract me from my test.
On the other hand I have named my daughters with sanskrit names but inAmerican pattern...they have a first and a middle female names (In Gujarat, father's of husband's first name automatically becomes the middle name). I am the only Gujju that I know of that has broken the tradition...and the Western one makes sense - at least to me.
Originally posted by Kabhi_21

Partially I agree that we are losing the culture but not because of westernisation..... It is because of lack of information about out culture.....Bursting the crackers in Diwali is considered as culture now a days as I have seen on Aaj tak, when the journolist was asking questions to people.... but It is not in culture, Laxmi pujan, Lighting the deeps and get together of relatives is culture while crackers is just celebration while it is misconstrued as culture....
Originally posted by Lighthouse

What is culture anyway? As long as we maintain basic human values like respect, compassion, love, hard work and not become regressive it really doesn't matter what and how we celebrate. everything else is just fluff Imo.

Culture is something which evolves constantly. It is not static. Around the world every culture has gone through changes because of migration. There is no such thing as one Indian culture. We have adopted from Indo-European, Greek, Mongolian, Mughal etc. Our culture has been influenced by various religions too. Ancient India believed only in Idol worship. We have always been convivial to all the new cultures so we shouldn't have any aversion to western culture. The good and bad elements exit in all cultures. We adopt which suits us most.
Originally posted by Tina59

I was alarmed to see that there are so many people in the world who still descriminate and judge people based on their caste , traditions and culture....we do so many wrong things in the name of tradition and culture and then blame the western world for being cultureless , I get really pissed off when I hear them ridicule the western world when we perform so many atrocities in the name of traditions  and customs .
Originally posted by Mermaid_QT

All these traditions you mentioned above mock at the great teachings our religion truly has to offer. Instead of making life easier, peaceful and enjoyable, they seem to hamper it.

The sad thing is that perhaps certain traditions started on a positive note and go miscontrued to become disgusting! Not allowing women in public places / kitchen during their period, was perhaps to ensure-
1) that they avoided unforseen embarrassment (there were no napkins and tampons back then!),
2) that they got enough rest, instead of cooking in that old-fashioned kitchen!!!
We should have left those traditions to the era those originated / atleast not misinterpreted them!

I always complain that our so-called traditions are over-rated and need severe amendments.

Edited by Maya_M - 17 years ago
Originally posted by qwertyesque

EVerybody questions americans question american values..the first amendment screws them real bad.... the point in americans think life is short and nothing matters.. i can behave like a primitive as long as I am ready to face the consequences... We on the other hand think of transition.. passing of values and traditions.. most Indian gals in the US are screwed up right there.. bet' customs and traditions and that cloudy vacuum. So they dont know do i wear a sari or a sindoor/mangalsutra to show i am married or just dont care.. i wear anything i like i am liberated but then how many attend marriages and related functions in jeans and halter-tops?.... the point is call a spade a spade dont misuse freedom to denounce values which you follow at some point of time possibly blindly...

Did americans teach them that?  Do you think americans reach half naked to attend a wedding / a conference??  So the CONFUSION is within.