Debate Mansion

Amitabh Bachchan as President of India?

Posted: 17 years ago

What are your views?

Courtesy: http://www.ibnlive.com/news/big-b-in-race-for-rashtrapati-bh avan/33321-4.html

Big B in race for Rashtrapati Bhavan!

Monday, 12 February , 2007, 11:53

New Delhi: There is still five months left for the race for the Rashtrapati Bhavan to begin. But the political quarters in the capital are already abuzz with speculations as to who will replace President A P J Abdul Kalam as the First Citizen of India when his current term ends in July.

Already several names are doing the rounds, beginning with Congress veterans like Dr Karan Singh and Sushil Kumar Shinde, to current Vice-President and BJP stalwart Bhairon Singh Shekhawat and CPI(M)'s long-standing Parliamentarian and present Lok Sabha Speaker Somnath Chatterjee.

And, surprise, surprise, someone has even dropped the name of Amitabh Bachchan as one of the potential candidates. According to reports, Bachchan friends in the Samajwadi Party have begun whispering his name with the support of the so-called 'Third Front' consisting of SP, TDP, AIADMK and AGP.

The speculation around Bachchan has continued even after the megastar went on record, saying he is 'unsuitable' for politics.

Some quarters also strongly believe that Kalam himself will continue for a second term in spite of the fact that the President has expressed lack of interest in a second innings, showing his preference for teaching instead. However, many believe that Kalam might change his mind as there has been pressure on him from the NDA camp, which has publicly favoured his continuance.

On Sunday, PTI quoted Congress spokesman Abhishek Singhvi as saying that the Congress will soon come out with a "formal, reasoned and well thought out decision" on the party's approach to the Presidential poll.

Union Minister Ambika Soni told the agency that her party "would not drag the issue of the highest office into small time politics" as it always worked for a consensus.

This has only added further fuel to the guessing game as it has left all permutations/combinations shattered. Political observers also believe that the actual approach to the Presidential poll of various political parties will depend on the possible outcome of the Uttar Pradesh Assembly polls, scheduled for April-May.

From the Congress camp, Shinde has emerged as a frontrunner as a Dalit candidate but the appointment of a Dalit Chief Justice has now reduced his chances a wee bit.

Under the circumstances, if the Congress decides to go with a majority community candidate, the choice is very likely to be Dr Karan Singh, who has been in public life for more than 50 years now.

Edited by Maya_M - 17 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Swar_Raj thumbnail
😲 😲 😲   I still remeber his election against Hemwati nandan Bahuguna, a very fine leader who lost against him.  AB won and just won, where as Mr Bahuguna continued to service the community. Because of his status a great leader had lost that time. Wonder if that will be the case again. No clue why people like him and Lata Mangeskar occupy seats when all they want is status sympbol and money..  Wait, I think I answered my question myself πŸ˜†
Edited by Swar_Raj - 17 years ago
ritzbitz thumbnail

Originally posted by: egghatcher

He needs clearance from Bal Thackerey πŸ˜‰

....and  AAA (Ajitabh, Amar singh, Anil ambani) membership...πŸ˜‰

Our constitution is interpreted in such a way that President's decisions hardly make a difference. Now it is good to have someone like Kalam who is well learned and knowledgeable. Amitah Bachchan is no Kalam but he can do what most Presidents of India did in the past. So I say go Big BπŸ‘πŸΌπŸ˜‰.

SolidSnake thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

i hesitate at the thought of lifting AB to the august height of a S Radhakrishnan or VV Giri
my vote is for him to become the president USA or prime minister of england

Err...he is taller of them all. πŸ˜‰

TheRowdiest thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

if by any miracle that happens then Ash ke to maze hain pehle abhishek and now Rashtarpati bhawan mein rehne ka sunehra chance bhi milegaπŸ˜†.

Rashtarpati Bhawan mein politicians ki bajaye producers nazar aayengeπŸ˜† may be Rashterpati Bhawan film studio hi ban jaayeπŸ˜†

i hesitate at the thought of lifting AB to the august height of a S Radhakrishnan or VV Giri
my vote is for him to become the president USA or prime minister of england

We also had a Zail Singh and Shankar Dayal Sharma in the same league as Rajendra Prasad and S. Radhakrishnan. Why should Amitabh Bachchan be considered unworthy of the post? He has contributed well in his field of work. Even Kalam is no social worker or politician but a Scientist.

That's what I mentioned earlier. The President's post is now relegated to a rubber stamp. So why not a dashing 65 yr old, actor of the millennium as President?

Kalam won against Capt. Lakshmi Sehgal. Capt. Lakshmi Sehgal was leader of Rani Jhansi Regiment in Subhash Chandra Bose's Azad Hind force and Kalam is the brain behind India's nuclear weapon program. I was rooting for Ms. Sehgal.
mermaid_QT thumbnail
i wouldn't mind being in ❀️ with president's 1/cos C son 😳 😳 😳   
πŸ‘πŸΌ πŸ‘πŸΌ
souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2

Originally posted by: mermaid_QT

i wouldn't mind being in ❀️ with president's 1/cos C son 😳 😳 😳   
πŸ‘πŸΌ πŸ‘πŸΌ

πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† Hearing it after so many years.