Fashion and Beauty

can makeup ruin ur skin???????????

afreen_786 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
By Dr Parul Kolhe M B B S, DDV and DNB in dermatology

You might have felt a thrill when applying that forbidden lipstick at the age of 12. Or experimented with kiss-proof lipstick on a date. Or used a foundation to cover up those blemishes, crows feet and wrinkles.
Make-up can be a woman's best friend. However, if used incorrectly it can also be your skin's worst enemy. Some women use up to 12 cosmetic products per day, exposing themselves to about 175 different chemicals!
Here are some dos and don'ts on how to buy, use and maintain your make-up, so it does not spoil your skin.   
Don'ts
1) Hold on to old cosmetics:

Throw out everything that's been on your shelf for more than two years. Cosmetics have a shelf life of one or two years and after that the chemicals start to degenerate, the oils become rancid and the emulsions start to separate making them potentially harmful. So it makes sense to buy one or two lipsticks every six months rather than buying a dozen in one go and hording them for years.
2) Share make-up that's directly applied onto skin :
These include lipsticks, eyeliners, mascara etc. You'd be sharing your skin's bacteria and spreading infections, too.

3) Add water to dilute caked or thickened mascara and eyeliner :

You're adding a potential source of infection -- water -- which contains micro-organisms. Increased water content in a product creates an optimum environment for bacterial multiplication. You can get styes, conjunctivitis or deadlier fungal eye infections.
4) Use make-up with these ingredients:
Watch out for two potential irritants in your make-up.    
1). Parabens: A group of chemicals used as preservatives in cosmetics. The solution is to use paraben free products.
2). Sodium lauryl sulphate: A chemical used in cosmetics for the basic purpose of increasing the spreadability of products like cream. This chemical is proven to be allergic to many skin types.   
5) Sleep with make-up on:

No matter how tired you are -- always remove makeup before you go to bed. Your skin will thank you for it.
Scrub off long lasting make-up with tissues/ peel off waterproof liners or mascara with your nails :
These make-up products contain special chemicals to make them more adherent and you could end up damaging your skin. Use recommended cleansing pads or lotions to remove them gently.
Layer on evening make-up over your daytime make-up
It's worth spending a little extra time removing your day make-up. Give your skin some time to breathe, rub an ice cube all over and then apply fresh make-up. Stale make-up trapped under a fresh coat can clog up your pores and have a deleterious/ harmful effect.
Dos:
Buy makeup that suits your skin type :
For instance you must use souffls for oily skin, a moisturising foundation for dry skin, hypoallergenic cream for sensitive skin, non-comedogenic make-up for acne-prone skin (non-comedogenic products help to prevent blackheads) etc.
Invest in quality brands:

Buy one lipstick instead of four cheaper ones. It's worth the money.
A test patch of any product you're trying out on the inside of your arm:
If after 24 hours no redness or reaction develops, go ahead and buy it.
Clean your make-up tools :
This includes lip brushes, sponges, rouge brushes, powder puffs regularly, or replace them every few months. Leftover cosmetic residue is greasy and sticky, and breeds bacteria. You can use mild liquid detergents meant for wool and silks, to wash your tools.
Apply moisturiser on your skin a few minutes before your make-up :
It hydrates your skin and forms a protective barrier, which shields your skin from excess contact with chemicals.

-- The author is an M B B S, DDV and DNB in dermatology

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Tearðrops thumbnail
Thank you for sharing, it's very interesting and definitely some tips to take on board.
I always have to remove any makeup before going to bed.
[quote]No matter how tired you are -- always remove makeup before you go to bed. Your skin will thank you for it. [/quote]
mesmerized thumbnail
t4s

i always remove any mkeup dt i mite hve on b4 bed
but i dnt really wear to much makeup as my skin feels trapped 🤢
oil based make up ruins ma skin ! i gotta use non comedogenic ones !
n ya i hav to remove ma make up before i sleep too ! els it all gets cloggy eww
priya234 thumbnail
thnak you soo much 😊 very helpful
I don't wear make up anyway... but it's interesting to know... thanx 4 sharing
bewafa thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
😆 well i only would ever wear eyeliner and mascarra....but when i do, i know i have to wash it off...but its already off anyways...coz i dont put much on... 😆 so i sumtimes cant be bothered... 😳
ajeebhotum thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
the make-up that ruins ur skin, are the ones that are oil based...atleast for me it does...

an the otyher thing is that not everybody removes the makeup at night and that is why some people's skins get ruined!
bollycrazy thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
thanks alott for sharing!!! vv interesting!!

agree wit the article - u shud definitely take off all makeup before bed 😃 specially foundation! x
meghavi thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: Inasense

Thank you for sharing, it's very interesting and definitely some tips to take on board.
I always have to remove any makeup before going to bed.
[quote]No matter how tired you are -- always remove makeup before you go to bed. Your skin will thank you for it. [/quote]

Yah same here. 😃