Posted: 17 years ago

I feel insane saying what I'm about to tell you next, but I might as well tell you, since I'm telling you everything else.  

The following morning, the first thing I thought of was Sahana. I know. I'm an idiot. But really.   

It was truly an insane morning. I was unusually lost throughout, while doing my normal morning routine. In the shower, I almost walked out without rinsing the soap off my body. For breakfast, I actually sat down and ate something, which surprised my mother beyond shock. Then, instead of walking down the street to wait for the bus at the stop near my house, I kept on walking until I realized I had passed that stop three blocks ago.

It was a pretty sad sight.

Once lunch period was over, I didn't think I was going to see Sahana at all that day. In the morning, I took other routes to my classes deliberately in hopes of seeing her so I could give a smile and say a couple of lines. When it didn't happen, I gave up and went my usual way.

And of course, as fate is cruel, when I was out to show the world how ridiculous I was, she was there.

Sahana was walking into the staircase and putting something in her bag, while I was sliding down the banister. Perfect, wasn't it? She wasn't looking where she was going, and I was trying to show off to my friends how fast I could slide down a handrail. Luck was definitely not on my side.   

What more, I didn't realize Sahana was there until I fell down on her. We fell on the floor with a loud thud and her papers flew into the air, while my friends Ishan and Ethan laughed at us.

I heard Sahana let out a deep sigh and I squeezed my eyes shut, waiting for the yelling to start. This was so not good. So, so not good. But all I heard was more laughter from other students. I opened my eyes slowly and saw a couple of papers descending slowly around Sahana, who was biting her lower lip without any expression on her face.

I tried to imprint this vision into my memory, because of its exquisite loveliness, and in doing that, I forgot to apologize.

After a moment, Sahana finally looked up and put some loose strands of dark brown hair behind her ears. She crossed her legs and raised her eyebrows at me.

When I saw her staring at me questioningly, I shrugged and smiled. "Ha. I was just trying to break my record from last time?"

Quiet. Then soft deepness making its way out of someone's throat.

Sahana was laughing.  

And soon thereafter, so was I.

See, it's little gestures of these sorts that make you look at a person differently. A smile that lasts more than a second. A brief talk suggesting a more intimate conversation later. A simultaneous glimpse and then a quick averting of the eyes. And sometimes, a pushโ€ฆa fallโ€ฆa laugh.

Ah, I was so angry when typing the first few words of this. However, now as I reminisce and continue to tell this story, I can't help but smile while I muse over those sweet memories.

See, there's something special about your first love that you won't find later on. For many people, love doesn't happen just once. It happens quite a few times. But nothing is the same as the first time. There's this unique crispness, which I can't really describe properly. For some reason, the best way I can explain that feeling is the following. Imagine this. Blue clear water. A pure sky overlooking it. White sand on an abandoned shore. A recently bought white house on the coastline. And you're unfolding new crisp white sheets to envelop the mattress with, in a generally empty room.  

To many people, my description of first love makes no sense whatsoever, and I can't blame them, because I guess we all have different ways of viewing beauty. But if any one of you understood me, you know how pure the feeling is. It's like breathing in cool, clean air.

And every moment with Sahana felt like that.  

Edited by Neelam08 - 17 years ago
Awesome, Neelam!

Please continue, can't wait to read more.

Originally posted by Neelam08

See, it's little gestures of these sorts that make you look at a person differently. A smile that lasts more than a second. A brief talk suggesting a more intimate conversation later. A simultaneous glimpse and then a quick averting of the eyes. And sometimes, a pushโ€ฆa fallโ€ฆa laugh.

See, there's something special about your first love that you won't find later on. For many people, love doesn't happen just once. It happens quite a few times. But nothing is the same as the first time. There's this unique crispness, which I can't really describe properly. For some reason, the best way I can explain that feeling is the following. Imagine this. Blue clear water. A pure sky overlooking it. White sand on an abandoned shore. A recently bought white house on the coastline. And you're unfolding new crisp white sheets to envelop the mattress with, in a generally empty room.  

^^^ The two paragraphs up there are so beautifully written! Neelam, I must say you are a magician of words!

If first love is so beautiful as you have described it up there, I hope I too do experience it soon.๐Ÿ˜ณ
Edited by Naina_Manam - 17 years ago
It took me like two hours, but I finally logged in. That part was really nice. I liked it a lot. The guy is really funny and cute about the same time. I wonder where this is gonna end up. Love always seems to happen at the wrong time.

Can't wait for the next part!

~Sunita~

wow u have described love so beautifully esp first love, that i started blushing for sum reason. ๐Ÿ˜ณ uff its so beautifully written. the first part was so filmy but still so sweet. ๐Ÿ˜› well done neelam ๐Ÿ˜ƒ waiting for the next part
YOu seemed to have changed you narrative style a bit here! I love the poetic influences in the paras which naina highlighted!

Wonderful!
beautifully written

eagerly waiting for the next part
i looked it up yes sahana is a hindu name so its ok, sorry for that. i cant sumhow edit or delete that post.
Originally posted by Naina_Manam

Awesome, Neelam!

Please continue, can't wait to read more.

^^^ The two paragraphs up there are so beautifully written! Neelam, I must say you are a magician of words!

If first love is so beautiful as you have described it up there, I hope I too do experience it soon.๐Ÿ˜ณ

I can't say anything much better than agree with Naina. The last part was so expressive and so beautifully written....

And the part at the banisters was so funny. I like the way you describe the guy's thread of thought.๐Ÿ˜›

U make me fel I want to experience my first love right now... Really Neelam u make me feel in a very romantic mood!!!!!๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜›

Hello. I decided to comment twice for the fun of it.  ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

~Sunita~
Oh I forgot to ask. Please post the next part now. ๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿ˜‰