Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

radha07 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 17 years ago
Television actors on how they deal with stress

Saif Ali Khan's hospitalization of a suspected heart attack caused by stress has raised the question: are our celebs overworking themselves? With their peak working career measuring only a few years, do the stars burden themselves with too much to do? We ask the TV world's stars.

Amar Upadhay
I've been through the crazy schedules of shooting for 16 hours a day, 30 days a month, 365 days a year. Now I am in such a position that if I demand to have Sundays off and work for only 10 hours a day it is accepted! I don't do the 15 hour shifts anymore and my life is very relaxed. I work for about 8 to 10 hours a day and Sundays off is compulsory so my life is pretty relaxed.
I think stress is the main factor in Saif's case. It's known to put pressure on the heart and arteries. Smoking is also a big killer. I've heard he smokes a lot and I would advise him to avoid it. His career is going great so this will be a big inconvenience to him. I hope he has a speedy recovery and takes care of his health and diet. He works out which is good but I feel that if he did pranayam every day he would be in the best of health and would never suffer this kind of attack again.

Rohit Roy
Well our schedules nowadays are very hectic and it all depends on how much you can take. As actors we don't have fixed timing as an office would have. A normal day sees me working from 9 AM to 9PM. Then with performances for shows I usually have to rehearse after that. That is the norm in this industry so there is nothing that can be done about it. There's no way of dealing with the stress until you land up in a situation that forces you to slow down like Saif Ali Khan. You can't predict when you are going to fall ill or when it becomes too much. Saif is a fit guy and what has happened is very unfortunate. The conditions in every field now have a lot of pressure. Everyone is working for long hours and the stress is just too much. More than once I've felt burnt out after a long shoot or a hard week's work and I've been in this business for years.

Sai Deodhar
Honestly films are very different from television. Even though the stakes are higher for film actors the work is more relaxed. Television is really killing as a job especially if you are playing a main part in a serial. It's also a very thankless job. As a television actor you are expected to work for long hours and we are constantly pushed to work harder. Even if you take that extra step it goes unnoticed. Because of the busy schedules we aren't even able to take a break and go on a holiday.

It's quite demanding. Not only do you shoot for hours on end you're also in the same place for a long time. I work for 15 hours a day 30 days a month. Now I am playing a double role so my work load has also doubled! It's no wonder that people as young as Saif are falling ill. Nowadays the incidence of diabetes, anxiety attacks and heart disease is too common among relatively young people. I haven't figured out yet how to deal with my stress. I try my best but right now I am really taxed. I think everyone deals with it in their own way. You cannot take anyone's advice because at the end of the day it has to apply to your own situation.

Swapnil Joshi
The entire life system in Mumbai is very hectic whether you are an actor, a doctor or a chartered accountant. There is financial stress to deal with, apart from the stress of traveling and pollution. People seem to think that being an actor means posing in front of the cameras and going home but shifts have to be constantly adjusted, the financial aspect has to be managed and to top it all off the working hours are just gruesome!

I don't know what happened in Saif's condition but actors have constant pressure on them. They are overworked due to expectations put on them from audiences. After a while it builds up on the person's mind and body and unfortunately one day it takes its toll. The time it takes to reach breaking point differs from person to person but I think it's best to try and avoid the fall before it happens. To reduce the stress in my life I do a lot of mediation and yoga. I make sure I catch at least 5 to 6 hours of sleep every night and I try to live my life as balanced as possible. No one over works to the point of collapsing deliberately; you just think that you can take it. I once shot for 18 hours a day, 6 days continuously for a show in Dubai. I had to finish my shooting within those 6 days so it was extremely taxing.

Achint Kaur
Well in the television industry we have to work for 12 hours a day and that's the norm. I can't even call it an industry because if it was then I'd be working for 8 hours a day like most people! I work very hard but that is only because I choose to do so. It is not about what the production house makes you do but about how much work you are willing to put in. Ultimately the more work you put in amounts to more money and benefit for you. Whenever I feel like I need a break I shoot in advance and go on a small holiday to relax. Usually the most stressful period is when the show is just getting started. This lasts for maybe a month and a half. Other than that there are stages of stressful times. I have once worked for 58 hours straight but that was long ago when I had more energy! I hadn't heard about Saif Ali Khan falling ill till now. It's very sad and I would hate to think of something like that ever happening.

http://www.indya.com/news/saifstress_celebs.html
monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
"I have quit Viraasat"
Pooja Ghai

Though she's been in this industry for quite some time, Pooja Ghai has been discussed more for the controversies hounding her. First it was her split with hubby Niraj Rawal, then her alleged affair with Vikas Kalantri and now it's her ouster from Star One's, Viraasat (wherein she essays Aman Verma's wife).

To clear the air, Prashant Golecha meets up with this actor and what came across was a forthright lady who didn't mince words.

The buzz is that you wont be a part of Viraasat anymore?
Yes, I have quit Virasaat. There were dates issues. I have an event coming up on 24th March backed by my production house, White Leaf. I need to now focus on my new venture, so I wanted to leave the show. But the production house couldn't accommodate my dates,so I have conveyed it to them to hunt for a replacement.

So post Viraasat, it'll be just one show, Jeete Hain Jis Ke Liye (Sony) in your kitty?
Currently I'm some how managing both my shows. As far as Jeete Hain goes, my role will eventually end.

What about the future plans of your production house which you have started with Vikas Kalantri?
I always keen about getting into production and Vikas had similar plans. That's how the partnership happened. Right now we have launched a national hunt for the lead girl of Nayee Padosan 2 (sequel to Kalantri's original film). We'll groom ten short listed girls for the grand finale, which is on the 24th march. Top names from the industry will judge them and the winner will star in the film. Our company has done the entire conceptualization and execution of the event.

Will you act in your own production?
No as of now but I am open to the idea if a good role comes across.

Does this mean that acting on TV takes a backseat?
It all depends upon the work and involvement required in the project our production house under takes.

Talking about your personal life, is your divorce through?
No the proceedings are on.

Aren't you seeing Vikas Kalantri?
It is definitely not true, It's up to people to think what they want to, I am not bothered. We are just good friends and that's how we have come together professionally for our production house.

Who takes care of your son?
My mother Veena Ghai is taking best care of my son Raaj, whose six years old.

Posted on 20 March 2007 7:00 pm
Edited by monika.goel - 17 years ago
monika.goel thumbnail

Touch wood!

Sangeeta Ghosh is set to shift into her new pad at Kandivili, which is strong on vaastu shashtra

Back to Section Stories Posted On Wednesday, March 21, 2007
Mail this Article Print this Article Search
View Comments Rate this Article Comments

Kavita Shyam

Sangeeta Ghosh
Come August and Sangeeta Ghosh will shift to her new  2BHK residence along with her family. She bought this 2000 square feet apartment about two years ago at Kandivili. The actress, who has been an Andheri (East) resident, has roped in two interior designers for doing up the place. "I have briefed them to give me a simple, yet a comfortable designer house. I have asked them to keep wooden flooring that looks elegant. My home will be modern and yet have an ethnic touch to it. I am planning to place a huge diya at the entrance of my house" she says.

Sangeeta informs that house hunting wasn't a tedious process for her. "I was lucky to have bought the house at the right time when the property rates were reasonable.
Sangeeta Ghosh's apartment on the ninth floor
Now the prices have gone up and everyone's complaining about the same." She further adds, "I went to see this place with a friend, who also ended up buying an apartment in the same building. I want to shift to my new home as soon as possible." Jogger's park, open terrace and a mandir were the draws for her. She adds, "I'm glad that there's a mandir, where my parents can frequent whenever they want to."

The superstitious actress is relieved that the apartment has been constructed in keeping with vaastu shashtra. "I was told that the house was built according to the vaastu shastra," she says.

monika.goel thumbnail

Simone Singh returns

Simone Singh returns to the small screen. She's replacing Pooja Ghai Raawal in Viraasat

Back to Section Stories Posted On Saturday, March 24, 2007
Mail this Article Print this Article Search
View Comments Rate this Article Comments

Ranjib Mazumder

Comeback kid: Simone Singh
Simone Singh is back on the small screen. She'll soon be seen in  Ravi Chopra's Viraasat. However, it's surprising that she returns by replacing Pooja Ghai Rawal's Anushka Lamba, a supporting character in the show. Of course, Simone is blissfully unaware that she's been away long enough to qualify as a comeback kid.

The actress is excited about her association with Viraasat. So, what made her agree to be a part of this show, especially when she will play a supporting character? "I have heard rave reviews about the show and the production house is highly reputed. So, when they approached me, I was eager to be a part of their family," she says.

The actress has no qualms about being a replacement. She continues, "When they approached me, the first thing I asked was that they give me a sketch of my character. And they explained to me that Anushka Lamba is one of the four primary characters in the serial. It's neither positive nor negative. This will be something different for me as an actress. I have been assured that my character will be portrayed the way they have explained it to me."

Anushka's character was never given much importance in the publicity or promos. "I haven't noticed the hoardings. Nor have I seen the serial. I know that my character is strong and that's what made me sign on the dotted line," she says.

The actress, however, refuses to believe that she is making a comeback on television.  She says, "I was never out of television. I was just not in a mood to act in daily serials, so I skipped it for some time. I did not act in any daily soap after Kashish because working 24/7 is not my cup of tea. In between, I also experimented with other aspects like theatre, which gave me immense creative satisfaction."

Any other projects on the anvil? "I have two films, Bhram and Delhi Heights, releasing very soon. I always do one show at a time; so no more shows for me right now," she says.

* I was just not in a mood to act in daily serials, so I skipped it for some time – Simone

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Simone in, Pooja out
   By: A Mid Day Correspondent
   March 24, 2007

Now that Pooja Ghai is busy with business partner Vikas Kalantri in their new roles as producers, Pooja no longer features in the Star One drama Viraasat thanks to date issues.

She has been replaced by Simone Singh, who will now be seen as Anushka Lamba in the show.

As Rishabh Lamba's (Aman Verma) wife, Anushka plays the straightforward woman who hates her husband and is in love with Kunal Kharbanda (Amar Upadhaya) who is Rishabh's enemy.

Simone, best remembered for her role as Heena on Sony was also seen in Kasshish on Zee. She is back on the soapy circuit after a hiatus.

Meanwhile, Pooja's first role as producer is a national hunt for the lead girl of Nayee Padosan Tu (sequel to Kalantri's original film) who will be unveiled at an event tonight.

http://www.mid-day.com/hitlist/2007/march/154057.htm

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Simone replaces Pooja Ghai in Viraasat

Pooja Ghai's replacement is finalized for Star One's Viraasat. It's none other

than the talented and graceful Simone Singh. She will now be seen opposite Aman Verma in this family drama, the shoot for which has already commenced.

As reported by tellychakkar.com yesterday, Pooja opted to quit this show due to date hassles and had informed the makers to hunt for her substitute.

On contacting Simone, all that she let out was, "I have been approached by the production house but I don't want to talk about the negotiations." But the strong buzz is that she has already been penciled in and her shots are being canned.

With the Heena tag still attached to her, Simone has proved her credentials as an actor time and again. Last seen a few years back in Zee's Kashish, this soft spoken lady has kept a low profile on the TV front, concentrating more on her films and the page 3 arena. Her latest film, Delhi Heights is already on the verge of release.

http://www.tellychakkar.com/y2k7/mar/21mar/news_simone.php

monika.goel thumbnail

ROTI My favourite rasta food: I love the pani puri at Elco market and the Mysore omelette at Juhu beach.
My favourite restaurant: I like the restaurants at Marriot.

My favourite nightspots: They keep changing as new ones keep coming in.

Currently, Olive is my favourite.

The most expennsive meal I've had: I feel every meal you have today turns out to be very expensive. So, it's difficult to actually remember the most expensive one.

The restaurant with the most value for money: I feel some place like Krishna lunch home would be nice.

KAPDA I shop mostly at: I don't shop in India.

My ffavourite rasta shopping area: It would be Fashion Street though it's not even half as good as it used to be earlier.

My favourite Indian designers: Narendra Kumar, Tarun Tahiliani and Rajesh Pratap Singh.

The sale I never miss is: The Dubai shopping sale.

Thee most expensive thing I've bought: My Frank Muller watch.

The best bargains are available at: I would be the wrong person to ask.

MAKAAN My favourite area:: Marine Drive.

The one place that holds fondest memories for me: Juhu beach holds some of the fondest memories.

The most aesthetic structure: Rajabai Tower and the Victoria Terminus.

Mumbai's biiggest eyesore: Huge billboards near heritage structures in town area.

ROTI My favourite rasta food: I love the pani puri at Elco market and the Mysore omelette at Juhu beach. My favourite restaurant: I like the restaurants at Marriot. My favourite nightspots: They keep changing as new ones keep coming in. Currently, Olive is my favourite. The most expennsive meal I've had: I feel every meal you have today turns out to be very expensive. So, it's difficult to actually re- member the most expen- sive one. The restaurant with the most value for money: I feel some place like Krish- na lunch home would be nice. KAPDA I shop mostly at: I don't shop in India. My ffavourite rasta shop- ping area: It would be Fashion Street though it's not even half as good as it used to be earlier. My favourite Indian de- signers: Narendra Kumar, Tarun Tahiliani and Rajesh Pratap Singh. The sale I never miss is: The Dubai shopping sale. Thee most expensive thing I've bought: My Frank Muller watch. The best bargains are available at: I would be the wrong person to ask. MAKAAN My favourite area:: Marine Drive. The one place that holds fondest memories for me: Juhu beach holds some of the fondest memories. The most aesthetic struc- ture: Rajabai Tower and the Victoria Terminus. Mumbai's biiggest eye- sore: Huge billboards near heritage structures in town area.

monika.goel thumbnail
monika.goel thumbnail