Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 17 years ago

'They were dissatisfied with Pooja'

Simone Singh on replacing  the actor in  'Viraasat' and giving a  fresh take to the character

The show 'Viraasat' (Star One) has a new face—Simone Singh. She will now be seen as Anushka Lamba, the righteous and anguished wife of Rishabh Lamba (Aman Verma). Simone will be replacing actor Pooja Ghai.

Anushka's appeal

Simone says, "I liked the various shades that the character has. She is long-suffering but knows her mind and speaks it too. Also, unlike other shows which require 28-30 days a month, leaving me with little time for other things; Viraasat' required only 12-15 days of work. So it was a project that worked well for me."

Pooja and me

Was she aware that Pooja was unceremoniously dropped from the show? "When they approached me, I was told that they were dissatisfied with Pooja for whatever reasons. Also, the role was gaining prominence. So they needed somebody with a strong presence. I wanted them to talk to Pooja and settle whatever issues they had before we proceeded further. Only when I was given that assurance did I go ahead with it," clarifies Simone.

Was she apprehensive of doing justice as a replacement? "I had no reason to get in a show midway when I was getting lead roles in new shows. But I liked the storyline, my role and have heard good things about the production house. So I decided to treat it as a new project," answers Simone. She adds that she hasn't seen the show yet, so her approach to her role will be fresh. "I will execute it according to my understanding."

Big screen pursuits

Why did the 'Heena' girl take so long to get back to TV? "Nothing interested me. There's a sameness to everything, which can get tedious," she explains.

Simone adds, "Meanwhile, I was busy shooting for my films. 'Delhi Heights' is releasing shortly. I also have 'Brahm' and 'Via Darjeeling' coming up." As for TV Simone adds, "I prefer doing one project at a time."

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1087379

monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
THE show 'Viraasat' (Star One) has a new face—Simone Singh. She will now be seen as Anushka Lamba, the righteous and anguished wife of Rishabh Lamba (Aman Verma). Simone will be replacing actor Pooja Ghai.
Anushka's appeal Simone says, "I liked the various shades that the character has. She is longsuffering but knows her mind and speaks it too.

Also, unlike other shows which require 28-30 days a month, leaving me with little time for other things; Viraasat' required only 12-15 days of work. So it was a project that worked well for me." Pooja and me Was she aware that Pooja was unceremoniously dropped from the show? "When they approached me, I was told that they were dissatisfied with Pooja for whatever reasons. Also, the role was gaining prominence. So they needed somebody with a strong presence.

I wanted them to talk to Pooja and settle whatever issues they had before we pro ceeded further. Only when I was given that assurance did I go ahead with it," clarifies Simone.

Was she apprehen sive of doing justice as a replacement? "I had no reason to get in a show midway when I was getting lead roles in new shows. But I liked the storyline, my role and have heard good things about the production house. So I decided to treat it as a new project," answers Simone. She adds that she hasn't seen the show yet, so her approach to her role will be fresh. "I will ex ecute it according to my understanding." Big screen pursuits Why did the 'Heena' girl take so long to get back to TV? "Nothing interested me. There's a sameness to everything, which can get tedious," she explains.

Simone adds, "Meanwhile, I was busy shooting for my films. 'Delhi Heights' is releasing shortly. I also have 'Brahm' and 'Via Darjeeling' coming up." As for TV Simone adds, "I prefer doing one project at a time."

THE show 'Viraasat' (Star One) has a new face—Si- mone Singh. She will now be seen as Anushka Lamba, the righteous and an- guished wife of Rishabh Lamba (Aman Verma). Si- mone will be replacing actor Pooja Ghai. Anushka's appeal Simone says, "I liked the various shades that the character has. She is long- suffering but knows her mind and speaks it too. Also, unlike other shows which require 28-30 days a month, leaving me with lit- tle time for other things; Vi- raasat' required only 12-15 days of work. So it was a project that worked well for me." Pooja and me Was she aware that Pooja was unceremoniously dropped from the show? "When they approached me, I was told that they were dissatisfied with Pooja for whatever reasons. Also, the role was gaining promi- nence. So they needed some- body with a strong presence. I wanted them to talk to Poo- ja and settle whatever is- sues they had before we pro- ceeded further. Only when I was given that assurance did I go ahead with it," clarifies Simone. Was she apprehen- sive of doing justice as a replacement? "I had no reason to get in a show midway when I was getting lead roles in new shows. But I liked the storyline, my role and have heard good things about the production house. So I decided to treat it as a new project," answers Simone. She adds that she hasn't seen the show yet, so her approach to her role will be fresh. "I will ex- ecute it according to my understanding." Big screen pursuits Why did the 'Heena' girl take so long to get back to TV? "Nothing interested me. There's a sameness to everything, which can get tedious," she explains. Simone adds, "Mean- while, I was busy shooting for my films. 'Delhi Heights' is releasing short- ly. I also have 'Brahm' and 'Via Darjeeling' coming up." As for TV Simone adds, "I prefer doing one project at a time."
monika.goel thumbnail

Edited by monika.goel - 17 years ago
shruti thumbnail

Pooja Ghai has decided to quit Viraasat. For the record, she says she needs to concentrate more on her home production and acting in a daily doesn't give her that kind of time. Neither was the production house willing to accommodate her request. So the search is on for a replacement.

Pooja won't act in her own serials too. She wants to pay more attention to the production and maybe at a later stage, if a role comes by, she may take it up. On the personal front she is waiting for her divorce to come through and hopes to move on with her son. Vikas Kalantri continues to be a good friend, nothing beyond that.

http://www.deccan.com/TV%20Guide/TV%20GuideDescription.asp#P ooja%20is%20out%20of%20Viraasat

shruti thumbnail

Simone Singh, who replaced Pooja Ghai on Viraasat feels people shouldn't feel apprehensive about replacing someone. "When everything else is fine and interesting it would be foolish not to take up a show just because you are replacing someone. Walking into someone else's shoes is of no consequence to me. My only condition was that the matter should be resolved with the other actor before I take up the job," says the actress who is back to doing serials after a two-year break.

She further adds that many soap offers were coming her way but she didn't find anything tempting till Viraasat happened. "The character is coming into prominence now and I find Anushka an interesting and promising character. She is a positive woman, speaks her mind and doesn't take negative things from other people. The channel and producer wanted an actor who could bring in a certain presence to the character and weight to the show. To me it's a new character," she adds.

Till the role of Anushka Lamba came her way, Simone was happy doing chat shows and movies. Hosting chat shows was a good change for her because she likes meeting and chatting with new people. "Acting is my first choice. But I am equally at ease with hosting. It's always nice to know the other point of view and what really drives people to do new things and take up challenges. Since I love travelling, a travel show would really be ideal to do next," she says admitting that anchoring pays pretty well.

On the movies front, her latest film Delhi Heights has her playing a wife stuck to a philandering husband who one day packs her bags and leaves him since she can't take it anymore. Before this there was her critically acclaimed film Being Cyrus.

http://www.deccan.com/Sunday%20Chronicle/Sunday%20ChronicleD escription.asp#Simone%20happy%20to%20be%20a%20replacement

monika.goel thumbnail

Chavi turns negative
The actor will play seductress in 'Viraasat' opposite Aman Verma
Sapana Patil Poojary

CHAVI Mittal, who put up an impressive act as Disha in Zee's erstwhile serial 'Tumhari Disha' is back in full swing. The lady, with one of the most irresistible smiles in tellywood, had been on a brief break after Shrishti Behl's 'Twinkle Beauty Parlour' ended abruptly. Now she will be doing a negative role in Ravi Chopra's 'Viraasat' (Star One).
Chavi seems excited at the new start. She says, "I am looking forward to acting in 'Viraasat'. I will be playing a negative role for the first time. It's a challenge when one has to break free from one's positive image." Incidentally, after her big break in 'Tumhari Disha' Chavi didn't get as lucky with her subsequent projects.

Instead she was only seen doing cameos in episodic serials. But that doesn't disturb Chavi one bit. She says, "I was acting in 'Tumhari Disha' and 'Kaisay Kahein' (film, directed by husband Mohit Hussein) at the same time. After working in 'Tumhari Disha' for three years, I needed a break. I didn't want to get back to television soon and definitely not with shows that required longer commitment. So I was content with doing episodic shows." She adds, "Nowdays, I don't see serials, which are a good blend of entertainment and progression. I am not keen on doing regular things. I took up 'Viraasat' because it had something different to offer. A negative character has more dialogues and generally provides more scope to perform as an actor. Plus, I will sport a sexy look; enough to pull Rishabh Lamba (Aman Verma) towards me."

CHAVI Mittal, who put up an impressive act as Disha in Zee's erstwhile serial 'Tumhari Disha' is back in full swing. The lady, with one of the most irresistible smiles in tellywood, had been on a brief break after Shrishti Behl's 'Twinkle Beauty Parlour' ended abruptly. Now she will be doing a negative role in Ravi Chopra's 'Viraasat' (Star One). Chavi seems excited at the new start. She says, "I am looking forward to acting in 'Viraasat'. I will be playing a negative role for the first time. It's a chal- lenge when one has to break free from one's positive image." Incidentally, after her big break in 'Tumhari Disha' Chavi didn't get as lucky with her subsequent projects. Instead she was only seen doing cameos in episodic se- rials. But that doesn't disturb Chavi one bit. She says, "I was acting in 'Tumhari Disha' and 'Kaisay Kahein' (film, directed by husband Mohit Hussein) at the same time. After working in 'Tumhari Disha' for three years, I needed a break. I didn't want to get back to tel- evision soon and definitely not with shows that re- quired longer commitment. So I was content with do- ing episodic shows." She adds, "Nowdays, I don't see serials, which are a good blend of entertainment and progression. I am not keen on doing regular things. I took up 'Viraasat' be- cause it had something different to offer. A negative character has more dialogues and generally provides more scope to perform as an actor. Plus, I will sport a sexy look; enough to pull Rishabh Lamba (Aman Ver- ma) towards me."
monika.goel thumbnail

The dress circle

There's a furore over costumes leading to Simone Singh being ousted from her debut film, Dil Ke Armaan

Back to Section Stories Posted On Tuesday, April 03, 2007
Mail this Article Print this Article Search
View Comments Rate this Article Comments

Sneha Hazarika

Had all gone well, Simone Singh would have been the leading lady in new director Anup Das's Dil Ke Armaan. Everything was finalised and Simone had even landed up in Pune to shoot for the film but last minute differences between the director and the actress led to a parting of ways, creating enough bad blood between both parties.

Says the Kolkata-based director, "I had signed Simone for my film Dil Ke Armaan, and the unit reached Pune on January 4. But the actress was not happy with any of the costumes given to her. She rejected one shirt just because it didn't cover the zipper of her trouser. That was a ridiculous demand. We wanted to give her Bipasha's look in Corporate. One night before the shooting was about to start, when I called her to speak about the schedule, Simone complained about her headache and said that she would not shoot until she got the costumes of her choice. It was then that I decided that I couldn't work with her."

The director has even claimed that he gave a signing amount of Rs 1 lakh to Simone which she is yet to return. Simone quips, "This is extraordinary. On the day, when we decided to part ways, I spoke to him and wished him luck. Since then I have not heard from him at all."

Anup Das however is in no mood to change his stance. He says, "See, it was the duty of the artiste to return the signing amount. Since she spent two days with us, she could have deducted some money as her remuneration and paid back the rest. It's been almost three months now. What is it other than an attitude problem? But in no way, am I going to let go of the signing amount. I will first have a chat with her and if things are not settled that way, I will not hesitate to take legal action.

The director thinks it was actress Rituparna Sengupta who bailed him out from such a sticky situation. "Actually, I always had Rituparna in mind. But she was busy doing some other project at that point of time. Thankfully, when I called her again, she agreed to join us in Pune and saved the unit from undergoing any further losses. Now my film is almost complete. It talks about surrogate motherhood and also stars Divya Dutta and Kiran Janjani," he adds.

Simone Singh, however, refutes all the allegations made by the director. She says, "I was pursued with incessant phone calls by this team and since I support well good cinema, I had agreed to do the film. I had three costume trials with them and two telephonic conversations regarding costumes. I even went ahead to do some shopping with Mandira, the writer. But when I arrived in Pune, I found the set-up really tacky. Later, I learnt that the director didn't like the costumes we had agreed upon and wanted readymade clothes instead. It's news to me that they wanted to give me Bipasha's look in Corporate. I, on my part found the clothes contrary to the character. Be it a glamorous role as in Kal Ho Naa Ho or the plain Jane act in Being Cyrus, I have always liked to stay true to my roles. So, I decided to walk out."

According to Simone, it's an entirely laughable effort, desperate measures to generate controversy by an unknown director to benefit his film. Simone reasons, "Otherwise how come a not-so-relevant issue crops up now? It's a real pity. I have absolutely no intention of being drawn into this."

Edited by monika.goel - 17 years ago
shruti thumbnail
  Chhavi turns negative
   By: Tushar Joshi
   April 4, 2007

She was earlier seen in Tumhari Disha as the good wife. Later, Chhavi Hussein did the revamped season of Twinkle Beauty Parlour, where she played the lead. Now the actress is making her come back in a totally negative role in Star One's Viraasat.

Mini me!

Talking about the new innings, she says, "The reason I said yes to this role is because I wanted to do something totally different from how the audience has seen me so far. Also, my look is drastically different. I will be totally glamourised and wearing some sexy ensembles."

During her break from TV, the actress decided to work out and lose the extra flab. "It was a conscious decision on my part to get fit and look good. Since I was sitting at home not doing anything, it was important that I didn't put on weight."

Talking about her role she says, "My character's name is Natasha and she wants to get rich quick. Her biggest dream is to enter the Lamba family and become their daughter-in-law."

Calling it a welcome break from the typical roles she has been playing, Chhavi says, "People have seen me in saris and a housewife's role, so it will be interesting to play a role where I wear mini skirts and the like."
Chhavi will make her debut on the show next week. 

http://www.mid-day.com/hitlist/2007/april/154755.htm

shruti thumbnail

Disha gifts herself a new phone

Chavi Mittal, who plays the lead role of Disha in Tumhari Disha, treated herself to a new cell phone recently. The actress was spotted phone hunting at the Alpha showroom in Andheri.

Chavi says: "I bought a new phone on Sunday. My earlier phone was a Nokia 6270 and this time too I have bought Nokia. My new phone is plum in colour and the model number is N-72. I paid Rs. 12,500 for it. I had a problem with the memory on my last phone and it used to hang very quickly. So my basic requirement for a new cell was that it should have a good memory and should work well without hanging. I also wanted a phone with a good camera. My husband was with me but this will not be a gift from him to me. He just came to give me shopping advice and I'll be buying this phone for myself."

We will soon see Chavi in Virasaat where she will play a negative role…
"Negative roles have a lot of scope for performance. This is a very different negative role. I will be playing Simone's (Anushka Lamba) sister. In the serial I will try to seduce my sister's husband, Rishad Lamba (Aman Verma). My shooting begins in two days the episode should be on air by next week." says Chavi.

Chavi bagged the role as Disha because, "The person who handles my work is the casting director of Tumhari Disha. Further B.R. Films, the production house, has a good reputation."

So what other plans does the actress have?
"I will be shooting some episodes for Betiyaann. After that there is one offer that I have but I can't discuss it much. Soon everything will be finalized and I will declare it."

Chavi gained popularity for her role in Tumhari Disha. She was previously seen in Ghar Ki Laxmi Betiyaann. The actress got married two years ago to director Mohit Hussain who directed her first show. Mohit has directed serials like Tumhari Disha for Zee TV and Yes and No for Sahara.

http://www.indya.com/news/chavi_mittal.html

shruti thumbnail
Rohit goes global on his birthday
   By: Tushar Joshi
   April 6, 2007
Wifey Mansi Joshi Roy creates a personal website for the TV actor as a surprise present
Baring His Soul: The website's home page

When his birthday cake arrived this morning, Rohit Roy was stumped as to why the icing on the cake read www.rohitroy.com. The suspense was lifted when his wife Mansi Joshi turned on her laptop and logged on to the website she had specially created for him.

Talking about the incident, Mansi says, "I've been working for the last six months on building this website. It took a lot of hard work, patience and help from friends and family to put together. I thought it would be the perfect gift for Rohit on his birthday."

Fan No 1

From Us To You: Mansi Joshi Roy with daughter Kiara

Before thinking up the idea of a website, Mansi had plans of making him a special scrapbook. "This was the perfect time to launch it since Rohit is venturing into many creative areas besides acting," says the doting wife.

Mansi logged on to several actors' websites before choosing the right company to make Rohit's site. She says, "I loved Sanjay Suri's site. It was aesthetically done and was user-friendly.

That was the exact requirement I was looking for. I had so much material on Rohit that I didn't want the site to look cluttered and difficult to navigate."

With help from Sanjay, Mansi got in touch with Creative Fusion Studio (based in Sydney) to design Rohit's site.

"I got loads of help from my daughter Kiara, who helped me choose the pictures and also Prerna, my sister-in-law. All his friends and the people he has worked with, were supportive."

http://www.mid-day.com/hitlist/2007/april/154877.htm