Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

Edited by monika.goel - 17 years ago
monika.goel thumbnail
Amrita at Build-a-bear Workshop

By Kkomal Seth & Gautam Seth

Amrita Arora launches Build-a-bear at Shopper?s Stop with great gusto!!! 'Teddy bear, teddy bear do you love me as I do?' this has become the much loved question by every child as Build-a-bear workshop, an American retailer that sells customizable teddy bears and other stuffed animals launched its first store in India on 5th April, 2007 at Shopper?s Stop, Andheri in Mumbai. This store which is unique in its own way was launched by many known faces from Bollywood. Amrita Arora was present with her mom while Rohit Roy was present with his wife and daughter. We also spotted Ken Ghosh to name a few. The store allows you to choose your favorite animal from the lot and stuff cottons in it. You can then give a bath to your animal and put accessories like clothes, shoes, googles, etc. The biggest part of this store is your toy gets a birth certificate approved by Build-a-bear workshop!!! When quizzed about this store to Ken Ghosh, a renowed filmmaker, 'Normally, boys are always attracted towards cars and girl towards barbies but this store is such that both will get attracted towards it. Kids will love it!!' Amrita Arora was equally excited about such a launch. She says,' My sister and I have also been close to toys.' Amrita was seen picking a toy for her nephew Arhaan while Rohit was seen keen to gift a toy to her daughter. After such a store launch, we are sure that kids will definitely have a ball of the time!!!
shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Foot-in-mouth Syndrome!

Vijay Mallya recently exclaimed "ugh" when Karan Johar asked him his reaction to homosexuality. Maybe that was his gut reaction but we're sure Mallya is regretting offending so many people. We asked our stars an incident from their past where they wished they could take back their words…

Meeta Vashisth
"That happens pretty often actually. I'm usually always putting my foot in my mouth. Once I was watching the preview of a television film (in the days they still had television films!) and I was sitting with the director and lead actor. There was a terrible actor who looked really puffy onscreen. I remember I was suddenly going to say 'Who's this idiot? Why on earth have they picked him to act in the movie?' I had just started shouting out 'Who's this…' when the man at the side of me immediately said "It's the director's father". Thank god I didn't complete my sentence! The director turned and looked at me and I had to quickly change my reaction saying 'Oh this is your father!' I'm sure he suspected something because my whole face kept changing after that."

Chunkey Pandey
"Well the last time I regretted saying something was when I said India wouldn't win the World Cup. I spoke to a press person and told him that Bangladesh would beat India and India would be out. He laughed and wrote the piece after India was kicked out. I don't call it putting my foot in the mouth I call it having a black tongue! I had to wear a burka for three days after that when venturing out of my house! I guess I would have been in an even worse state if I had been playing for the cricket team and mentioned that."

Rohit Roy
"I'm sure I must have! I usually speak my mind and say what I want. Most of the time when these things happen you say something you shouldn't have and then think about it and it was probably not the right thing to say at the time. It happens once in a while when I get a little drunk. But thankfully those instances have never been really serious and I certainly have never put my foot in my mouth on national television. I think I once told someone 'Oh you're looking so good. You've lost so much weight!' when actually they had put on a lot of weight."

Narayani Shastri
"Once I met an old friend of mine and we were chatting. We were having a discussion on this particular topic and I went fully out to give my opinion on this one person. I was going on and on. It turned out that the person I was talking about was my friend's ex-girlfriend! Thankfully he is a good friend and he didn't really react to it but it did get a little awkward. I've done this millions of times. Sometimes it's someone's husband I'm talking about, sometimes it's someone's brother. I've done it many times."

Iqbal Khan
"I'm very careful about whatever I say whenever I say it. Since I've entered the industry there hasn't been many times where I've said something shouldn't have. I can't think of the last time something like that has happened to me."

http://www.indya.com/news/vijay_mallya.html
monika.goel thumbnail

monika.goel thumbnail
She has recently returned to acting on television with Star One's Viraasat, but the vivacious Simone Singh was never away from viewers' minds, thanks to her innumerable TV commercials. She made her acting debut with the serial Swabhimaan in 1995, then played the title role in another popular television series, Heena. Simone ventured into Bollywood with Ek Rishta: The Bond of Love, in 2001. Recently, her performance in Being Cyrus won her much critical acclaim Would you like to be 16 again? Who wouldn't want to look like they did when they were 16? But otherwise, I'm completely and utterly satisfied at my age. What attracts you in a man? Wit, charm and character. Your most recent purchase? Where did you buy it? Several beautiful dresses from Bian in New Delhi. The one film you can see again and again? One of the many would be Nuo- vo Cinema Paradiso. Each time I watch it, I am moved. You get put off by people when they… Show off or are impolite. A childhood memory that's special to you? When I went with my family on a beach holiday We had taken a . guitar and had lots of sing- along evenings. Your first crush? I was a little girl when I watched his film. I didn't know who he was. Many years later, I realised it was Vinod Khanna. When you get angry, you… It depends on the day Some- . times I deal with it in a calm and composed manner and on other days, I let fly. Your favourite outfit? I have many favourites and my preferences keep changing. But currently, it is a white silk shirt with wide-legged black trousers for the evening. And the day outfit is any white shirt with wide-legged grey trousers or skinny jeans. I don't like basic white shirts, I like them well-cut with impeccable detailing. If you woke up and found yourself on another planet, you would… I would hope like hell that I was carrying my copy of The Hitch- hiker's Guide to the Galaxy. If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be? My awkwardness around new people. Three wishes you'd like a good genie to grant you? To have the ability to change the world with just wishful thinking and not to lose any of my loved ones. Who needs a third wish after that? What perfume do you wear? For the day, I wear my husband's cologne, John Var- vatos, (it smells nice and it reminds me of him through the day) and for the night it is Glamorous by Ralph Lauren. The best thing that's ever happened to you? Meeting my husband Fahad Samar. You are the fashion police for a day. What would you ban? Skimpy clothes in size 16 (large). The outdoor activity you love? Walking on the beach and swimming in the ocean. You don't believe in… Double standards and hypocrisy . Interviewed by Meeta Mishra
shruti thumbnail

Looks like Rohit Roy is determined to prove himself as an excellent multi-tasker — running from one set to another for his films and serials. So much so that he ended up shooting 36 hours non-stop for Viraasat.

"Ever since Viraasat was shifted to Star One, it has caught on in a big way. And since we were doing a dance sequence, I was screaming at the top of my lungs, so my voice was almost gone. Then I had to rush to complete another song-and-dance sequence for Apoorva Lakhia's film Shoot-out At Lokhandwala. We had to shoot the climax song and there was no way I could delay. I wish I could learn from my brother (Ronit Roy) about how to nap between shots. I can't rest while working. So basically I didn't sleep for almost two days at a stretch. It felt like hell. But at the end of the day it was worth it."

Viraasat is expected to be on air until June this year. After that Rohit will take a sabbatical to get into movies. "My feature film out would be Shoot-Out At Lokhandwala, after that I'm in a short feature film by Sanjay Gupta called Gubbare, in which I got to share screen space with Nana Patekar. He was such a learning experience," Rohit said.

www.deccan.com

virgoqueen thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago

Chavi Mittal's new "disha"

She did a disappearing act after Twinkle Beauty Parlour bombed. But now Chavi Mittal's (who prefers to be called Chavi Hussain) is back with a bang. She's being seen in a negative avatar in Star One's Viraasat and very soon will join the Left Right Left gang. We caught the bubbly actor in a candid chat

"On being the greedy seductress"

I play a bold girl called Niki who has returned from the US. She lusts after money and power and this weakness draws her close to Rishabh Lamba ( Aman Verma). Soon she joins him in his dirty games and invariably becomes the third pole in the relationship between him and Anoushka (Simone Singh).

"I wanted to move away from my past"

The role is different from what I've played before.Till date I've been this goody goody girl. Now, Nikki also comes across as a bubbly sweet young girl but she can turn into a sultry selfish seductress whenever she wants. Since, I am playing a grey character for the first time, I am learning the subtle nuances that go with it. The audiences' are in for a surprise, when I bare my fangs and I am enjoying myself thoroughly.

"Afterall, it's a Ravi Chopra production"

I am not disturbed by the fact that the show is not doing too well. Afterall, it's a Ravi Chopra presentation and has its own share of loyal viewers. The starcast is huge and I am not like some actors who do useless roles in big projects. I accepted this offer only after I was convinced that Nikki has depth and meaning.

"I don't like being compared to others"

Often times, my fans tell me that I resemble Sangeeta Ghosh. When I met this bong girl on the set, I was pleasantly surprised to note that she too had similar experiences and was not at all happy at being compared.

"I owe everything to Tumhari Disha"

I can never forget my debut show Tumhari Disha. I owe everything to that show and the best part was that it wasn't a typical saas bahu drama. I loved being Disha who grows from a plain middle class girl into a woman of substance.

"Twinkle Beauty Parlour was not a mistake"

I really enjoyed playing the second season of the show. I think all the character's were a bit too modern for our viewers; so the second season too failed. "

"Would like to do films"

I enjoyed doing the cameo in my hubby's (Mohit Hussain) film Kaisay Kahein. Now, if something more interesting comes along, I would surely be game, including the jhatak matak stuff .

By THE TELLYCHAKKAR TEAM

Posted on 30 April 2007 2:00 pm

Edited by virgoqueen - 16 years ago
shruti thumbnail
Gym and bear it!
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   May 11, 2007

Chhavi Hussein had to field birthday calls all day after her gym mistakenly put up a wrong date

TWICE BORN?: Chhavi Hussein

Four months may be a tad too early to receive birthday greetings from near and dear ones, but telly actress Chhavi Hussein recently found herself in such a predicament.

She had to bear the brunt of a barrage of phone calls and birthday messages on May 4, even though her birthday is on September 4.

So who is to blame for these early bird greetings? It turns out, the gym where she works out is a little too over-enthusiastic!

On notice!

"I frequent Gold's Gym at Oshiwara, where names of members celebrating their birthdays on that day are put up on the notice board," says Chhavi, who features as Nikki on the Star show Viraasat.

"The May 4 list included my name, and as several telly folks also frequent the gym, they all started buzzing me from early morning.

When I received the first 'Happy Birthday' message, I thought it was a mistake on the part of the sender and was meant for someone else.

Then the gym guys and trainers started calling, and that's when I realised the notice board had the date wrong!"

And as the birthday list remained on the gym's board throughout the day, she kept receiving calls till late at night.

"Many people hit the gym late in the evening, so I received calls even at night. I had to explain to each and every caller about the mistaken date. After a while, I gave up and just said thank you!"

Decode the scrawl

The actress hasn't visited the gym since the date mess. "I've been very busy with my shoots, so I still have no clue what went wrong.

I am assuming that since the dates are taken from the membership forms, my handwriting, which is more like a scrawl, must have been hard to decipher or there was a mix-up on the part of the gym," says Chhavi,

who was previously seen in the title role in Tumhari Disha (Zee) and later in Twinkle Beauty Parlour (SAB). Now, Chhavi hopes people remember to call her on her real birthday too!

http://www.mid-day.com/hitlist/2007/may/157110.htm

shruti thumbnail

Poor Amit Sadh had to quit Durgesh Nandini due to ill health. He was recently diagnosed with typhoid and was ordered to take complete bed rest. Unfortunately he didn't spend too much time resting and reported back to sets rather soon and this led to a relapse. "After I went back to work I again fell ill after a few days and was diagnosed with the same illness. My doctor was very firm and told me that I need to relax for at least one-and-a-half months, but this wasn't possible as mine is an important character and the producers couldn't give me such a long break. They had no choice but to replace me with another actor," explains Amit who is now recouping in Delhi.

His loss turned out to be Ankur Nair's gain. Though Ankur is busy with two other dailies — Woh Rehne Wali Mehlon Ki and Viraasat — he accepted Amit's role in Durgesh Nandini because he found it to be very interesting. But Ankur's not too sure about whether he will be the one the female protagonist Durgesh will fall in love with. When asked will she fall for the suave and sophisticated Kshiteej or will Durgesh opt for the rustic and rugged Sikander, played by Mohit Malik,  he answers, "I really don't have any idea but Kshiteej loves Durgesh and expects her to reciprocate his feeling. If that doesn't happen then there could be some interesting twist in his life as well."

But he is very happy to talk about Viraasat where he plays Dr. Raj Malhotra. His character was in love with Priyanka (Sangeeta Ghosh) and is now treating her handicapped husband. "There is something interesting in store for the character," says Ankur who is quite comfortable doing three shows at a time. "It just needs proper planning," he says when asked how he manages them all.

www.deccan.com

shruti thumbnail
Mum is the word!

Come Mothers' day and one finds a plethora of articles ranging from what gifts to give dear mom to a nostalgic piece about Ma when she was much younger, to what Mamma means, to how Mothers' Day should be celebrated..blah blah.

The fact is the urban mom of today is made of steel and butter: she plays a dual role, one at work where life is tough as hell. And the other at home, where she has to keep keep things spic and span, apart from making sure that the kids are in control and feeling loved. Of course the kids reciprocate by betting that their mom is the best. .

However in my mind all Moms are the same. They all tell you the same things repetitively, talk in a hilarious concoction of Hindi-Marathi-Gujarathi-Sindhi-Konkani and what have you to all the fruit and vegetable vendors, they address every one as beta, embarrass you in front of your friends by reminding you of your childhood habits and of course are providers of free food 24/7, for the most bhukkad (perpetually starving) of your friends!

What do the stars of the small screen have to say about their maternal parent? Do they believe they have common traits and which one of them immediately brings to mind Mama?

Rohit Roy aptly states just that, "All mothers nag, they will keep asking you to do certain things in a certain way. It's their attempt to make you better or improve your habits. I think it's just a mother thing. It works as their defence mechanism and their way to show how much they care."

On the other hand Ajay Gehi reasons that "all moms are identical in two aspects; first being that all moms cook very good food, that's why we are so proud of our ghar ka khana! Secondly they feed you the mandatory dahi with sugar before your exams and on all your important days, no matter how old you become!"

As we talk about certain habits that are typical of mothers irrespective of the century they belong to, Gautami Gadgil Kapoor points out a factor that puts mother on the pedestal she is. "A factor that separates mothers from the rest of the people in your life is love, her unconditional love for her child that is you . All mothers will try to be as fair as possible but they fiercely defend their kids at all costs and till the end."

Gaurav Gera
echoes that sentiment adding that "all mothers' have a single goal: to get their child married. "When you reach my age (28) they want you to settle down, they keep asking you to get married. And every other female friend of yours appears to be a potential bahu and is assessed in that light too," he says with a laugh.

It's something that all mothers are: they worry about you, they stay up for you to have dinner, they treat your friends well - sometimes even better than they treat you! But they are the comfort zone you can get back to when you are down in the dumps, they take all sorts of nonsense from you, they tolerate you when you dress down, when your room is a mess and even when you just ignore her nagging.

"Take time off tomorrow, make it special for her! After all, she is one of the two reasons, you exist! Give your mum a kiss, a hug and tell her you love her so much," says Pawan Shankar, who's throwing a party on the eve of Mothers' Day.

Are Tellychakkar Readers listening?

Write to us how you celebrated it and whether you agree with our actors at [email protected]

http://us.tellychakkar.com/y2k7/may/12may/feature-mother1.ph p