The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald

Naina_Manam thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago

The Great Gatsby is a novel by the American author Francis Scott Fitzgerald. First published on April 10, 1925, the story is set in New York City and Long Island during the summer of 1922.

The novel chronicles an era that Fitzgerald himself dubbed the "Jazz Age." Following the shock and chaos of the First World War, American society enjoyed unprecedented levels of prosperity during the 1920s as the economy soared. At the same time, Prohibition, the ban on the sale and consumption of alcohol mandated by the Eighteenth Amendment, made millionaires out of bootleggers and encouraged organized crime. Although Fitzgerald, like Nick Carraway in his novel, idolized the riches and glamour of the age, he was uncomfortable with the unrestrained materialism and lack of morality that went with it.

The Great Gatsby was not popular upon initial printing and sold fewer than 25,000 copies during the remaining 15 years of Fitzgerald's life.

Although it was adapted into both a Broadway play and a Hollywood film within a year of publication, it was largely forgotten during the Great Depression and World War II. After it was republished in 1945 and 1953, it quickly found a wide readership, and is now often regarded as the Great American Novel. It is now a standard text in high school and university courses on American literature in countries around the world.

Source: wikipedia.org

I must say it's a wonderful book, but not for those who love happy endings.  It has all the elements that make it a perfectly interesting book.  Symbolism is so good in the book that you can't just refrain from reading.

So, here are so discussion Questions...

- Have you read the book?

- Did you like it? Why or Why not?

- Did you understand all the symbolism used in the book (For example, Eckleburg's eyes, Daisy's golden pen, Ashheaps etc.)?

- What according to you is the distiingyuising factor of this book?

- Have you read any other novels by Fitzgerald?

- What do you think of Fitzgerald as an author?

So all of you guys who enjoyed it do feel free to discuss and those who haven't read it, I say it's a must! 😊

Enjoy discussing and do share your thoughts.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

umi82990 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
    yes. i read this book last year.

i really enjoyed this book because it had a different theme and aspect. i had fun reading a book about the wonderful twenties!!

- Did you understand all the symbolism used in the book (For example, Eckleburg's eyes, Daisy's golden pen, Ashheaps etc.)?
    yea..i got the eyes--it was like god. i got most of the major symbols...it was straightforward for me!!

the quality...it's at a totally different level!

no..but i would love to!!

i think he's awesome and probably one of the best lost generation authors!!

i think everyone should read this book!!😉
miss5stars thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
hey my sis is reading tht book for her class.. 😳 i was looking threw the pages one time its longg. 😳
armana thumbnail

Hi,
This is my first visit to this section of I-F. And this the first topic i saw......i love this book, so i'm going to jump right in....

Originally posted by: Naina_Manam

So, here are so discussion Questions...

Yes.

I loved it. It is an incredibly poignant tale....almost fablistic in the end. And it captures with such heartbreaking intensity the power of dreams- whatever they be, love, money- and the pain when those dreams turn out to be no more than dreams.

yes.

I think the most inceridible achievement in this novel, apart, of course from Jay Gatsby's person and emotions, is the depiction of an age. "TGG" captures and describes perfectly an age, an era and a mood, in all its glittering brilliance, its gaiety, its glamour and the disillusionment beneath it all.

no.

Based on this one book, it does not matter if he had never written another sensible word. "TGG" is enough to immortalise him.

So all of you guys who enjoyed it do feel free to discuss and those who haven't read it, I say it's a must! 😊

Enjoy discussing and do share your thoughts.

diyafah thumbnail
I have'nt read this book!but will definetely read it..I have heard about this book and wud love to read it! 😳