Sports/Cricket

Dravid forced Sehwag's inclusion

Pensive thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 17 years ago

Dravid forced Sehwag's inclusion

An out of form Virender Sehwag was selected in India's World Cup squad only because captain Rahul Dravid insisted on his inclusion, chief selector Dilip Vengsarkar disclosed.

Vengsarkar said the selectors had initially decided to leave out Sehwag but Dravid insisted on having the hard-hitting batsman in the ranks and they eventually agreed.

"I would always back the captain. When I was leading India, I never got the team I wanted and I didn't want Rahul to go through the same. He insisted on having Sehwag and that made the difference", he told CNN-IBN in a programme to be telecast on Sunday.

Vengsarkar admitted Sehwag did not feature in the initial scheme of things for his prolonged run-drought but enjoyed backing from some quarters in the team.

"It was a bit of gamble [to have him in the side]. But I think he has done extremely well in the past. Besides, he has won a lot of matches for India. We are hoping that he would do well in the World Cup," he added.

Since taking over from Kiran More, Vengsarkar's tenure so far has seen return of the old guards and the former India captain insisted experience could not be done away with.

"It's important to have fresh legs in the field but the fact of the matter is that you need to win also. And for that you need experience," he explained.

Also shedding light on Irfan Pathan's selection, Vengsarkar said, "Both Irfan and Sehwag have fantastic records and they have done extremely well in the past. But again form is important as well. But they have experience, which makes a lot of difference. If there are tight games, experience can win you matches."

He also justified the decision to appoint Sachin Tendulkar as the vice captain of the side.

"Rahul is an experienced player, so is Sachin. If something happens to Dravid, God forbid, Sachin can lead," he reasoned.

The issue was not discussed with Dravid, he said.

On Greg Chappell, Vengsarkar said the Australian has done "reasonably" well as India's coach and felt he should continue with the team even after the World Cup.

"He has been around for two years and I think he has done reasonably well. We won quite a few matches under him. It's upto the BCCI to decide but I would like to see him continue even after the World Cup," he said.

He also reposed full faith in the Indian team and said they should reach the semi-finals first and take it from there.

"We have the best batting order in the world and if they can go to the last four stage, it's anybody's game. I would be very, very disappointed if they don't reach the semi-finals.

"They just have to believe in themselves and think that they are the best in the world. I hope...I'm sure they will do well," he added.

Vengsarkar admitted off-spinner Ramesh Powar was unfortunate to miss a berth but felt Mohammad Kaif did not score enough to demand a place in the side.

"In fact he was unfortunate. Harbhajan [Singh] is doing well and [Anil] Kumble is a very experienced spinner...We could pick only two spinners. It's really bad luck. However, there are lot of matches after the World Cup and I'm sure he will get back," he said.

On Kaif, Vengsarkar said, "If you see his form, he has not scored too many runs. Just good fielding is not enough, you have to bat well too."

http://www.rediff.com/wc2007/2007/mar/03veng.htm

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Pensive thumbnail
I personally feel Dravid made the right decision, with Sehwag at the top order India will do well. ...This remark is only going to put additional pressure on Dravid, which is needless.

Vengsarkar is just playing safe here.
Edited by angel_wings - 17 years ago
Pensive thumbnail

BCCI takes exception to Vengsarkar's remark

The Board of Control for Cricket in India on Saturday took strong exception to Dilip Vengsarkar's remark on Virender Sehwag's inclusion in India's World Cup squad, saying it is not proper for the chief selector to make such statements.

The BCCI also said that such remarks could only lead to fresh controversies ahead of India's campaign in the mega event in the Caribbean.

"The chairman of the selection committee should not make such a remark. It creates unnecessary controversy before the World Cup. He should restrain from making such statements", BCCI vice-president Rajiv Shukla said.

In an interview to CNN-IBN, Vengsarkar disclosed that out-of-form Sehwag was selected in India's World Cup squad only because captain Rahul Dravid insisted on his inclusion.

The selectors had initially decided to leave out Sehwag but Dravid insisted on having the hard-hitting batsman in the ranks and they eventually agreed, Vengsarkar said.

"The team is selected by the five selectors in consultation with the captain and coach. Selection issues should not come out in the open", Shukla said.

Asked whether the BCCI would seek an explanation from Vengsarkar, he replied: "we have to study what he has said in the interview and then we will see".

umi82990 thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Well I really don't know how to react to this!

I'm happy that Dravid wants great cricketers here BUT this is also bad because Segwag is out of form and we can't take the risk during the WC. So, I really don't know?!?
kothra thumbnail
Cool Interesting article
let c if sehwag can cum back in form again