Viruddh - Har Rishta Ek Kurukshetra (Virrudh)

Virrudh Articles Archives-No Comments - Page 3

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 17 years ago

By A.L. Chougule

Mihika Verma, a former beauty queen contestant, always dreamt of being an actress. Having done a lot of fashion shows besides a few commercials like Britania 50:50, Sunsilk and McDonalds, she now wants to do serials and films as well. "I want to be a multi-task person and don't want to quit one thing for another. Modeling, television, fashion shows and films will go hand-in-hand. I am quite young and would not like to say 'no' to good work in any medium," says Mihika who is all set to make her debut on television in Smriti Irani's home production Virrudh.

After the Miss India contest in 2004 she took a break for about two years. "I was only 19 then and wanted to finish my studies first before I started my career," says the pretty girl who made her comeback on the ramp in last year's fashion week in Mumbai. "I know a lot of choreographers and they have been telling me to do fashion shows. Though I was looking at television, I decided to return to fashion shows and wait for the right opportunity to start a career on TV."

Through her coordinator, Mihika sent her photographs to Smriti's production company Ugraya. "They liked my pictures and called me for an audition. I gave the audition and forgot about it because there is so much competition around. Soon I was asked to appear for a look test. The next thing I learnt was that I was on for the role of Smriti Irani's youngest sister," she smiles. "And after that I started getting lot of offers but I waited for Virrudh to go on air because I see it as the perfect show for my debut."

Talking about the character, Mihika says Shreya is a 19-year-old college going girl who is very attached to her sister Vasudha who brought her up in the absence of her mother. "Vasudha is like a mother to Shreya who is innocent, intelligent, knows her mind well but is also bit gullible. She is her dad's pet and like all young and rich girls she is ultra glam and fun loving. As the story takes off I will have my own track with my love interest," she says.

While she is excited about her TV debut, if all goes well Mihika will soon be talking about her debut on the silver screen too. "I have auditioned for a film and have been finalised for the lead role. It's a big film, neither mainstream, nor off-beat but somewhere in between. It's a perfect launch pad for me," she gushes.

http://www.deccan.com/TV%20Guide/TV%20GuideDescription.asp#D ream%20debut%20for%20Mihika

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shruti thumbnail
Ashwini Kalsekar not coming back on CID

Ashiwini Kalsekar (Adhira of Jeete Hai Jiske Liye) has denied reports that she is making a comeback in the popular detective series CID.

Ashwini used to play the role of an inspector in the serial earlier. However, she is currently busy with her two shows i.e. Jeete Hai Jiske Liye and Smriti Irani's forthcoming serial on Sony named Virruddh.

Ashwini says, "I'm not doing CID right now, maybe sometime in the future. At present, I'm busy in two
TV shows and some films. I'm shooting for serials for nearly 30 days, so I don't have time to do another show. Further, I have also completed the shooting of Jhamu Sugandh's Johnny Gaddar, directed by Sriram Raghavan."

"This film is ready to go on floor and apart from that, I'm doing two films with Vikram Bhatt for which I'll start shooting soon - one of them is called Speed", adds Ashwini. In Johnny Gaddar, which also stars Dharmendra, Ashwini is playing Vinay Pathak's wife.

"I'm also doing a role in the serial Virruddh. It will be a positive role. There is a lot to speak about it but I can't say anything right now. We have been told that only after the proper launch of the show can we speak to the media about this show and our roles."

Ashwini has done many Hindi serials like Kasamh Se, Kitty Party, K.Street Pali Hill and many more. Further, Ashwini has also done Marathi serials like Ya Gojerwanya Gharat and bit roles in Hindi films like Khakee, Ankahee, Aashiq Banaya Aapne and Kya
Family Hai and a short film on the Godhra riots.

http://www.indya.com/news/ashwini_kalsekar.html
shruti thumbnail
Ashwini's looking the part
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   March 26, 2007
Kalsekar has a thing for experimentation and has sported four different looks for four different shows
As Blunt As It Gets: As Adira Bua in Jeete Hai Jiske Liiye Set, Wet, Go: As Devyani in Virrudh Taking A Short Cut: As Misha in K Street Pali Hill Indian Chic: As Jigyaasa in Kasamh Se

Ashwini Kalsekar has a thing for wigs. She detests them. As a result, she often snips or grows her hair to look right for her on-screen character.

"Wigs give me a headache and restrict movement. I prefer to be hassle-free and concentrate on acting when facing the camera, rather than ponder over whether the wig will topple over," says Ashwini.

As a result, Ashwini always experiments with her tresses. "It is not only my boyfriend (actor Murli Sharma, we can now safely assume!) but even when I see myself in the mirror, there is this need to appear different," she says.

Different layers

So for her new show Virrudh on Sony (in which she plays a Page 3 journalist called Devyani), she sports a short, scrunchy look with uneven length. "It is a positive role, unlike my other recent shows in which I essayed negative characters.

So I had to appear distinct from the venomous Adira Bua in Jeete Hai Jiske Liiye, who has a soft-styled layered look. Moreover, this show is around the same time on Sony, so I had to appear different," says Ashwini.

Earlier, as the scheming Jigyaasa of the Zee drama Kasamh Se, she had her hair gelled and tightly pulled back in a bun. As Misha in Balaji's late night thriller K Street Pali Hill on Star she had an extremely short, chic look, which was quite unBalaji!

Over the years, the actress has experimented with her locks, including perming and colouring. "I also like to experiment with my eyebrows, so sometimes I get them arched and other times I get them thinned down considerably."

Of late, Ashwini swears by celeb hairstylist Aalim Hakim for her cuts. "I know that he will do something that will look good."

But in the past there have been bad hair days too. "I won't name the hairstylist but I was left with a horrendous mop which needed to be salvaged by another hairstylist!"

http://www.mid-day.com/hitlist/2007/march/154177.htm

shruti thumbnail
'I've stopped looking for my big break'
   By: Pragyan Mohanty
   March 26, 2007

Says Sushant Singh, who returns to television with Virrudh after six years

He shot into the limelight with the Veerappan-inspired role of Durga Narayan Choudhary in Ram Gopal Varma's Jungle. Be it the fiery freedom fighter Sukhdev in The Legend of Bhagat Singh, the sharp gang leader Gajraj Singh in Sehar or the happy-go-lucky Dr Allan in the Sony medical drama Dhadkan, Sushant Singh has constantly given laudable performances.

Now, the actor is making a comeback on the small screen after a hiatus of six years. Read on as he discusses his new show Virrudh, his future projects and his angst against filmmakers.

Despite a great performance in Dhadkan, you stayed away from TV.

Offers kept coming in post Dhadkan, but nothing excited me. I don't even watch these soaps so I can't think of being a part of them. Nevertheless, I didn't want to quit films for television.

So how did Viruddh happen?

Smriti (Iraani) had earlier approached me for Thodi Si Zameen Thoda Sa Aasman (Star Plus). When I heard the narration, it seemed like a different show, but then things didn't work out with the production house.

Later on, she approached me for Viruddh. The concept seemed interesting, and unlike other serials it required me to devote just eight to 10 days. Everything fell into place and I was onboard.

What are the changes you've see on TV in the last six years?

Pressure has increased and the competition is fierce. However, the attention span of viewers has definitely reduced.

Tell us about Viruddh.

I play an investigative journalist who is also called Sushant. He is an honest and transparent person who believes in bringing out the truth.

Working with thorough performers like Vikram Gokhale, Smriti Iraani, Achint Kaur and Ashwini Kalsekar is a delight. Unlike most primetime shows, Viruddh gives male artistes tremendous scope to perform.

What's happening on the film front?

This is going to be the busiest year for me. The year started with Red, which unfortunately didn't do well. Mukhbir, Sholay, Showbiz, Lahore and Laaga Chunri Mein Daag will soon follow.

Despite great performances, you still haven't got that big break.

I've stopped looking for that. I am 35 and one doesn't become a hero at this age. I want roles where I can perform and not just stand next to the hero. It may sound offensive, but I think most filmmakers today lack imagination.

Barring a few, the majority are scared to think beyond conventional choices. Maybe they don't have confidence in themselves and have to depend on a star's box- office status to decide the fate of their projects.

Does Sholay fit that bill, considering Sambha didn't have much to do in the
original?

Sambha has a lot to do in Ramu's version. By the time the climax comes, you will realise that he really mattered to Gabbar Singh's gang!

Your most satisfying role till date?

Sukhdev in The Legend Of Bhagat Singh has been the most satisfactory. Even though it wasn't the lead role, it gave me scope to display a wide range of emotions.

What about family life?

I am happily married and my personal life is quite simple. My wife Molina is a Kathak dancer and we have a three-year-old daughter named Kuhu.

Finally, your expectations from Viruddh?

I really want this show to work. It has the potential to break the mould in the prime-time slot. After a long time, male viewers will have something worthwhile to look forward to.

http://www.mid-day.com/hitlist/2007/march/154174.htm

Edited by Manoj_Tina fan - 17 years ago
shruti thumbnail

Smriti's new home

Opulent: The sets of Virrudh

Here's a dekho of Smriti Z Iraani's new abode, and no, it's not the Viraani household after a makeover.

Virrudh, Tulsi's new show on Sony, is the story of the Raisinghanias and their personal conflicts and airs tonight.

While Smriti play the patriach's illegitimate daughter, Achint Kuar is the legitimate daughter of Dhirendra Raisinghania (Vikram Gokhale).

This huge set, which reportedly cost a bomb, has been designed by Omung Kumar and has been set up at Rajkamal Studios, Parel, where the show is currently being shot.

http://www.mid-day.com/hitlist/2007/march/154165.htm

niti_26 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Sony unveils marketing for prime time soap 'Viruddh'

Indiantelevision.com Team

(24 March 2007 8:00 pm)

MUMBAI: Sony Entertainment Television's prime time revival is being led by 'star bahu' Smriti Irani's magnum opus 'Viruddh' starting March 26, Monday to Thursday at 9:30 pm.

SET's programming mix now concentrates on fiction and it is in the process of beefing up its weekly shows.'Viruddh' is touted to be the channel's big ticket to higher ratings.

The channel has therefore stepped up its marketing initiatives for the launch of the show. Says Sony Senior Vice-President Marketing and Communications Aseem Kapoor " While we have looked at innovative and big scale marketing initiatives for our shows like Jassi Jaisi Koi Nahi and Kkusum, we are certainly looking at a 360 degree marketing plan for Viruddh as well. The show has a great backdrop of relationships and conflict and has a stellar star cast in Smriti Irani, Sushant Singh and Vikram Gokhale."

The channel has looked at transit advertising by painting the Volvo buses that ply between Mumbai-Pune on the Expressway from end to end. " The Volvo buses will reach ten to twelve touch points across Mumbai city and in Pune suburbs as well. These buses will start plying from 25 March itself. The aim is to provide a moving coding which will help the show to stay top of the mind as far as viewers are concerned, " says Kapoor.

Additionally, there will be a 'Viruddh' Chariot that will roll across various hotspots and traffic points in Mumbai.There are plans to extend this to Delhi as well.

"Given that the backdrop of the show is a 'Kurukshetra' of emotions and conflicts, the visual appeal of this inititaive should go down well with the viewers."

The channel has tied up with Big FM and the stations' RJs would travel atop the chariot interacting with listeners on relations and conflicts. The soap itself deals with the power relations and how they affect personal equations amongst family members.

Viruddh spans two generations involved in a power play of relationships set against the backdrop of a powerful media house.

As part of the marketing initiative, mock newspapers called 'Dainik Darpan' will be prominently displayed and distributed at various news stands. The articles in this page mock newspaper will contain behind the scenes stories, actor profiles and a synopsis of the show itself.

There will be an English language newspaper distributed in Mumbai and Kolkatta , while Hindi versions of the same will be distributed in Delhi, Lucknow and Ahemadabad.

"These mock tabloids will be available at various newstands, railway stations and will also be distributed by our delivery boys at various touch points.The idea is to create a buzz around the show.Ideally, you would read all the channel gossip in other newspapers but here's a paper that will give you all the inside news on the show, says Kapoor.

Viruddh is jointly produced by Irani led Ugraya Entertainment and Aditya Birla group's media arm Applause Entertainment for Sony.

The marketing initiatives for the show will continue for a fortnight.

http://www.indiantelevision.com/mam/headlines/y2k7/mar/marma m96.php

Edited by niti_26 - 17 years ago
Dancingdoll thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3

Rudraksh has reason for his meanness: Chetan Hansraj

Friday, March 23, 2007

Chetan Hansraj is set to scare the wits out of the protagonists once again; this time as the vengeful Rudraksh Raisinghaniya in Smriti Irani's ambitious venture Viruddh. And what's more, the guy is relishing the opportunity to the hilt.

"Actually, the fun in playing Rudraksh is that he cannot be slotted as a bad or a good guy. He has a reason for his meanness and that is to avenge the ignominy that his father goes through for being a weak-minded guy. Rudraksh is not bad just for the sake of it; which makes it interesting to play the role.

But basically, I like playing negative roles. What's the fun in playing a 'seedha-saadha', romantic lead who has nothing more to do than keep on smiling benignly all through the episode? I love playing a character whose entry is awaited with bated breath, both by the protagonists and the audience.

There's fun in keeping all of them guessing about what this evil guy will do next," winks the actor as he continues, "That is not to say that I did not enjoy playing the cop in Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi; No, in fact I loved it. But basically, I love playing the tough guy roles and there are not many of those in the positive genre.

So, I choose to play the negative ones and all my negative portrayals have been hugely appreciated, be it Sasha in Kahani Ghar Ghar Kii or Bhimdev in Prithviraj Chauhan."

When asked as to why Chetan opted for something as radically different as a historical, pat comes the reply, "Why not? I like to do any genre of programming as long as the role is good. And I have become very popular as Bhimdev, especially amongst kids, who did not form a part of my audience earlier. They keep calling out Bhimdev, Bhimdev wherever they spot me."

Chetan, who has stepped onto the Bollywood bandwagon some time ago and has the film Bhram, where he plays the second lead, up for release shortly, is vocal about the fact that though he loves films, television is something he will never leave since it gives him a steady income and constant exposure.

I was pumping iron at my gym the other day, when John Abraham who knows me well as a television actor, told me that I have taken a very wise decision to balance out both the mediums.

John said 'I have been plainly lucky to have made it big in this industry but it is indeed a tough job to make it big here and unless you are big, the industry is a living hell to be in.'

When a star like John opines so, I secretly praise myself for playing my cards right!" elaborates Chetan, who after an enjoyable stint with Fear Factor, is looking forward to doing yet another reality show "but provided it is interesting enough. I'd love to participate in a dance show like Jhalak Dikhla Jaa or Nach Baliye.

In fact, me and Lavinia were offered Nach Baliye but since she had just delivered Ethan at that time, we didn't participate. But, given a chance, we'd love to do some such show. I can't dance too well but I find the prospect of learning all those sexy moves, quite irresistible!"

Chetan, it seems, is all for learning something new all the time; or after a stint with yoga, the suave actor is now onto learning to strum the guitar.

"Lavinia's nephew brought in a computer package from which I could learn the notes. I just got hooked onto that thing and have been strumming at the guitar strings ever since, irrespective of the nicks my fingers have been getting. In fact, Surveen Chawla, who has learnt classical music, keeps strumming with me; we have a gala time on the sets."

Mention of Surveen brings to the fore, the unpleasant topic of the rumoured Surveen-Apoorva affair, which Chetan fumes about saying "It's the most ridiculous piece of gossip ever flung around.

If things go this way, it won't be long before our wives ask us to opt for another profession; not because they don't trust us but because it's too demeaning for a wife to keep reading about her husband, who's so devoted to her, being alleged to be seeing a co-star who's such a sweetheart and a great friend!! I'd just like to say that there's not a figment of truth in the story and that's that!" - Reshma S Kulkarni.
niti_26 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Writing for TV is like making love to a gorilla'

Express Features Service

Adman - writer Kamlesh Pandey needs little introduction to those who care to look beyond the stars as the credits roll in film or TV soap. Last year, his Rang De Basanti had made him a toast of Bollywood. The soon - to - be - launched TV serial, Virrudh comes after the critical success of Pandey's Thodi Si Zameen Thoda Sa Aasman on Star Plus. As he unwinds in his suburban pad with a giant TV screen looming in the background, comfortably reclined amidst rows of film DVDs and books by J Krishnamurthy and Osho, the writer of Bollywood blockbusters like Tezaab, Khalnayak, Saudagar and RDB talks to Piyush Roy about Virrudh, the pressures of writing for TV and his simultaneous scripting of a sequel to RDB.

How did Virrudh come about?
Thodi Si Zameen… was my idea, but Virrudh is Smriti Iraani's story, which I am developing. She brought interesting insights and depth to Thodi Si… In Virrudh, she is a part of the writing team.

What's the differential on offer?
Its story and presentation style are different. We have avoided the predictable zig - zag - zoom effects abounding on TV today. Every character is well etched and the cast, which has the likes of Vikram Gokhale, Sushant Singh, Govind Namdeo, Achint Kaur, Mohan Bhandari and Smriti amongst others, is a multi - starrer soap in the true sense. It's a finite story and we aim to have a bank of three weeks by the time it is launched. So hopefully it won't become a hand - to - mouth existence and have good content. But its continuation depends on the producer, the channel and the viewers.

What are your inspirations for Virrudh?
The show's male protagonist Dhirendra Rai Singhania is more of a Shakespearean character than a real life personality; he exploits power and suffers because of it. The similarity of the Nehru - Indira allegory is limited to the fact that Singhania depends on his daughter Vasudha and considers her his successor like Nehru considered Indira. But Singhania's reasons are different. He has other kids too, but they are not worthy of his inheritance.

What is Virrudh's take on the media, since it's about a newspaper baron?
The newspaper that wakes up a nation in the morning becomes worth Rs 5 a kilo in half an hour. There's a dialogue in Virrudh where the protagonist says: Only the raddiwallah is the real evaluator of a newspaper. We also look at the misplaced priorities in the media today. Yet, I also have great faith in the power to change that rests with a responsible media.

Your recent dates with TV haven't been rewarding. You quit Sati Satya Ki Khoj and Kahaani Ghar Ghar Ki.
I quit Sati after two months because it wasn't shaping the way I thought it would. As regards Kahaani… when I was working for the show it had an interesting promise in the love - hate relationship between its lead characters played by Sakshi Tanwar and Mohnish Behl. What it has now become — I don't want to react — as I don't watch it anymore.

What is it like writing for a daily on TV?
Writing for TV is like making love to a gorilla. You stop only when the gorilla stops. But a gorilla is a monstrous animal that rarely lets go. For instance, for Virrudh, sometimes I have to deliver eight scenes within four hours.

Is the pressure for time the only reason for the mediocre content on TV today?
TV is like a daily newspaper with a life of 24 minutes. I will repeat for Virrudh what I had said during RDB's release: the exam is over for me and I have done my best. Now it's for the audience declare us pass or fail.

Be it your films like Khalnayak, RDB or TV shows, anger seems to be an abiding emotion. Why?
Anger keeps you going. It keeps you dissatisfied, which is important for a creative person. The day you are satisfied, you are dead. The trigger for RDB too was an anger that'd been festering for over 50 years. Nehru had once said in 1957 that every corrupt man will be hanged by the nearest telephone pole. We were quite young then, but pretty excited by that announcement. Had Nehru really taken that bold step a lot would have changed in our society.

Do you think writers are finally getting their due in the industry?
Our industry does not recognise its writers and neither does the media. Even in an award show, when I am sitting next to a star, they will invariably cut me out during telecast.

What's happening next with you on the film front?
The project I am most keen about is the sequel to RDB. It should take-off in 2008 after I finish Delhi 6 and another untitled project with Rakeysh Mehra.

How can a sequel happen to RDB with all its lead characters dead?
The death of boys is not history; it just marks a new beginning.

Why did you choose Virrudh for a comeback to TV after six years?
There were a few offers but I've been choosy. I don't want all my time eaten away in TV. Movies are still my priority. Besides, saas - bahu serials are very women - centric and attract only female viewers. I wanted to do a serial where the male protagonist had an interesting role. I want to attract male audience to TV.

What do you look for in a television serial?
The character has to have something to do with the plot. My role must provide movement. My other concern is the length of the role. Sometimes a two - shot role is of great importance, but that's very rare. I want a respectably long role. Also, the story itself has to be good. A good character in a weak plot doesn't mean much, does it? And, of course, a lot lies in good marketing.

Your roles in many movies, like Jungle, have been appreciated. But you still haven't managed to bag a lead role in mainstream cinema. Why so?
I really don't know. That's a question you should probably ask producers and directors. Maybe there is something lacking — charm, charisma. Maybe, talent alone is not enough.

Do you think you've been side-stepped?
Yes, sometimes I do feel side - stepped, but I don't brood over it. I know I don't have great PR skills, nor do I belong to any camp. But I still manage to get meaty roles — that means that I've made my mark.

Five years from now, where do you see yourself?
Whether or not I crack it as an actor, my ultimate goal is to become a director. Five years from now, I see myself making my movie.

You are playing Sambha in Ram Gopal Verma's Sholay. How is your role different from the original Sambha?
My Sambha is very different, actionwise and dialoguewise. The original Sambha had very little to say and do in the movie.
—Nitya Kaushik

http://cities.expressindia.com/fullstory.php?newsid=228354
shruti thumbnail

By Reshma S. Kulkarni

Chetan Hansraj is happy at the prospect of making life miserable for the lead actors in Smriti Irani's yet to air serial Virrudh. He is playing the role of a vengeful guy called Rudraksh Raisinghaniya. "I like playing negative roles. What's the fun in playing a seedha-saadha, romantic lead who does nothing more than smile benignly all through the episode? I love playing a character whose entry is awaited with bated breath, both by the protagonists and the audience. There's fun in keeping all of them guessing about what this evil guy will do next," says Chetan who defends his nasty traits on screen by saying his character has a valid reason for being nasty. "Rudraksh wants to take revenge for all the hardships his father had to face for being weak minded," he says.

Chetan is also very happy with the response he is getting for playing the evil king Bhimdev in Prithviraj Chauhan. "I have become very popular as Bhimdev, especially amongst kids, who did not form a part of my audience earlier. They keep calling out Bhimdev, Bhimdev wherever they spot me," he says.

Apart from soon appearing in Virrudh, he will also be seen in the film Bhram, where he plays the second lead. Chetan says he loves doing films but will never leave TV because it gives him recognition and a steady supply of income. Recently while he was working out in the gym John Abraham came up to him and told him, "You have taken a wise decision to do both films and television. I have been lucky to make it in this industry because unless you are big, it's living hell to be in the industry."

http://www.deccan.com/Sunday%20Chronicle/Sunday%20ChronicleD escription.asp#Chetan%20loves%20his%20negative%20roles

shruti thumbnail

http://70.87.69.50/DNA/Web/Article/2007/03/26/145/26_03_2007 _145_007.jpg