Virrudh Articles Archives-No Comments - Page 4

Posted: 17 years ago

I won't comment on Ekta now!

The much talked about personality in Mumbai telly world Sandiip Sickand proudly announced Sony Entertainment's new soap 'Virrudh' at a press conference on Monday.

Sandiip had all praises for the serial that is produced by actress Smriti Zubin Irani and will go on air from March 26 and said that it is one of its kind and will definitely be popular among the audience.

However, the media cornered Sandiip with a host of questions regarding 'Kulvadhu' and Anuj Saxena's grudge against Sony for allegedly maltreating him. "Kulvaddhu was not doing too well and so we had to take it off air. The decision was not taken suddenly.

Anuj was not coming to the office for almost a month-and-a-half and Rekha was handling things on his behalf. The message was passed down to her," clarified a hassled Sandiip.

He went on to state that Sony was still open to Anuj and if the Maverick has something good to offer, it will be considered. However, Sandiip still maintains good relations with Anuj.

On being asked as to why there are so many rumours regarding him and Sony, Sandiip laughed it off saying, "I have become used to it. My agenda is to concentrate on TRPs and the upcoming programs so that I can take Sony to where it deserves".

He also scoffed off rumours of his quitting Sony and clarified with a big "Yes" that he is still with Sony and all 'news' in this regard were mere rumours about him leaving it.

Sandiip was, however, "No Comments" on his views about Ekta Kapoor and refused to say whether he would be joining her. "What ever I say is interpreted by people in their own way. Interpret it the way you want it to, but I will not say anything," Sandiip insisted. - (SAMPURN)

http://www.santabanta.com/cinema.asp?pid=13801

Ashwini's looking the part
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   March 26, 2007
Kalsekar has a thing for experimentation and has sported four different looks for four different shows
As Blunt As It Gets: As Adira Bua in Jeete Hai Jiske Liiye Set, Wet, Go: As Devyani in Virrudh Taking A Short Cut: As Misha in K Street Pali Hill Indian Chic: As Jigyaasa in Kasamh Se

Ashwini Kalsekar has a thing for wigs. She detests them. As a result, she often snips or grows her hair to look right for her on-screen character.

"Wigs give me a headache and restrict movement. I prefer to be hassle-free and concentrate on acting when facing the camera, rather than ponder over whether the wig will topple over," says Ashwini.

As a result, Ashwini always experiments with her tresses. "It is not only my boyfriend (actor Murli Sharma, we can now safely assume!) but even when I see myself in the mirror, there is this need to appear different," she says.

Different layers

So for her new show Virrudh on Sony (in which she plays a Page 3 journalist called Devyani), she sports a short, scrunchy look with uneven length. "It is a positive role, unlike my other recent shows in which I essayed negative characters.

So I had to appear distinct from the venomous Adira Bua in Jeete Hai Jiske Liiye, who has a soft-styled layered look. Moreover, this show is around the same time on Sony, so I had to appear different," says Ashwini.

Earlier, as the scheming Jigyaasa of the Zee drama Kasamh Se, she had her hair gelled and tightly pulled back in a bun. As Misha in Balaji's late night thriller K Street Pali Hill on Star she had an extremely short, chic look, which was quite unBalaji!

Over the years, the actress has experimented with her locks, including perming and colouring. "I also like to experiment with my eyebrows, so sometimes I get them arched and other times I get them thinned down considerably."

Of late, Ashwini swears by celeb hairstylist Aalim Hakim for her cuts. "I know that he will do something that will look good."

But in the past there have been bad hair days too. "I won't name the hairstylist but I was left with a horrendous mop which needed to be salvaged by another hairstylist!"

Edited by monika.goel - 17 years ago
'I've stopped looking for my big break'
   By: Pragyan Mohanty
   March 26, 2007

Says Sushant Singh, who returns to television with Virrudh after six years

He shot into the limelight with the Veerappan-inspired role of Durga Narayan Choudhary in Ram Gopal Varma's Jungle. Be it the fiery freedom fighter Sukhdev in The Legend of Bhagat Singh, the sharp gang leader Gajraj Singh in Sehar or the happy-go-lucky Dr Allan in the Sony medical drama Dhadkan, Sushant Singh has constantly given laudable performances.

Now, the actor is making a comeback on the small screen after a hiatus of six years. Read on as he discusses his new show Virrudh, his future projects and his angst against filmmakers.

Despite a great performance in Dhadkan, you stayed away from TV.

Offers kept coming in post Dhadkan, but nothing excited me. I don't even watch these soaps so I can't think of being a part of them. Nevertheless, I didn't want to quit films for television.

So how did Viruddh happen?

Smriti (Iraani) had earlier approached me for Thodi Si Zameen Thoda Sa Aasman (Star Plus). When I heard the narration, it seemed like a different show, but then things didn't work out with the production house.

Later on, she approached me for Viruddh. The concept seemed interesting, and unlike other serials it required me to devote just eight to 10 days. Everything fell into place and I was onboard.

What are the changes you've see on TV in the last six years?

Pressure has increased and the competition is fierce. However, the attention span of viewers has definitely reduced.

Tell us about Viruddh.

I play an investigative journalist who is also called Sushant. He is an honest and transparent person who believes in bringing out the truth.

Working with thorough performers like Vikram Gokhale, Smriti Iraani, Achint Kaur and Ashwini Kalsekar is a delight. Unlike most primetime shows, Viruddh gives male artistes tremendous scope to perform.

What's happening on the film front?

This is going to be the busiest year for me. The year started with Red, which unfortunately didn't do well. Mukhbir, Sholay, Showbiz, Lahore and Laaga Chunri Mein Daag will soon follow.

Despite great performances, you still haven't got that big break.

I've stopped looking for that. I am 35 and one doesn't become a hero at this age. I want roles where I can perform and not just stand next to the hero. It may sound offensive, but I think most filmmakers today lack imagination.

Barring a few, the majority are scared to think beyond conventional choices. Maybe they don't have confidence in themselves and have to depend on a star's box- office status to decide the fate of their projects.

Does Sholay fit that bill, considering Sambha didn't have much to do in the
original?

Sambha has a lot to do in Ramu's version. By the time the climax comes, you will realise that he really mattered to Gabbar Singh's gang!

Your most satisfying role till date?

Sukhdev in The Legend Of Bhagat Singh has been the most satisfactory. Even though it wasn't the lead role, it gave me scope to display a wide range of emotions.

What about family life?

I am happily married and my personal life is quite simple. My wife Molina is a Kathak dancer and we have a three-year-old daughter named Kuhu.

Finally, your expectations from Viruddh?

I really want this show to work. It has the potential to break the mould in the prime-time slot. After a long time, male viewers will have something worthwhile to look forward to.

Edited by monika.goel - 17 years ago

Press Release

Mumbai, March 12, 2007: Virrudh is a powerful story that essentially talks about conflict in relationships and how the protagonist, Vasudha, is caught in a cross fire (kurukshetra) created by her own family and people around her.

Produced by actress-turned-producer Smriti Irani, Virrudh, the new soap on Sony Entertainment Television, is a sensitive, personal saga woven against the tapestry of a ruthless, manipulative corporate world. It is the story of Vasudha Rai Singhania (essayed by Smriti Irani) a cheerful, loving, intelligent girl who is the second in command to her father, Dhirendra Rai Singhania (Vikram Gokhale). Dhirendra Rai Singhania, a power-hungry, manipulative business tycoon, dabbles in several businesses but is most passionate about his role as a media baron. He runs a newspaper called Dainik Darpan.

Vasudha is blinded by her love for her father. However she discovers along the way her father?s manipulative ways but is so loyal and dedicated to him that she takes care of his professional interests and personal well being.

Vasudha, who is in love with Sushant (Sushant Singh), the debonair chief crime reporter of Dainik Darpan, is not able to pursue this openly as she is afraid of her father?s disapproval of the relationship.

What happens when a dutiful daughter discovers the truth about her father? Will she undo the injustice done by her father or will she imbibe the very attributes she hated in her father in a bid to survive in the world of politics and business? Can the inheritance of hate and betrayal destroy the values of a sensitive, young girl like Vasudha?

On the occasion of the launch, Albert Almeida, Executive Vice President & Business Head, Sony Entertainment Television, said, ?It has been our constant endeavor to bring to our viewers differentiated and unique programming. This story is about ?Rishtoan Ka Kurukshetra? and Smriti Irani dons a new role ? from a loving and doting daughter to a powerful media baron, a legacy she inherits from her father. We believe in bringing characters and stories that portray today?s Indian woman?one who is equally comfortable in her role at home or when called upon to take on the mantle at the workplace. The fast-paced show and strong characters promise to keep the viewers glued with its engrossing storyline and powerful performances.?

Virrudh has powerful performers like veteran TV and film actor Vikram Gokhale, producer-actor Smriti Irani and Sushant Singh in dynamic roles. The other top line actors are Mohan Bhandari, Govind Namdeo, Achint Kaur, Ashwini Kalsekar and Chetan Hansraj among others.

Smriti Irani?s Ugraya Entertainment has tied up with Applause Entertainment to jointly bring Virrudh to the small screen. Watch the drama unfold from March 26, 2007, every Monday to Thursday, at 9.30 p.m. on Sony Entertainment Television.

Sony virrudh the rest

Posted On Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Anil Thakraney

Sony's high-gamble primetime offering, Virrudh, premiered last night. A lot is riding on this mega serial, not just money, but the entire team's pride and credibility. Sony has pulled all stops to generate a high impact launch, perhaps no other soap on Indian television has seen so much marketing hype.

The channel has reportedly decided to pull the plug on a host of under-performing serials, including new entrants Kulvaddhu, Durgesh Nandinii and Jeete Hain Jiske Liye. And creative director Sandeep Sikhand is reportedly on his way out. Which is why the Kamlesh Pandey written Virrudh has to amass many eyeballs, there simply is no other choice for the channel.

Virrudh is co-produced by Smriti Iraani who plays the lead role of Vasudha Raisinghania. Other names include Sushant Singh, Ashwini Kalsekar, Vikram Gokhale, Achint Kaur and Govind Namdev, all TV celebs in their own right.
The first episode promised much. It was all there… an obedient daughter, a drunken daughter, a dood son, an idealistic journo, and a wily media magnate. There was also an item number to pep things up.

A refreshing departure from gharelu jhagdas, so things do look encouraging. Whether the story appeals to the traditional saas-bahu saga addicts, only time will tell, but the serial will certainly keep the nation's journos hooked, since it's set against the backdrop of a media house. So hopefully we will all be able to catch all the intricacies and machinations that go on inside newsrooms and boardrooms, in a way better than what we saw in Mani Ratnam's Guru.

Mahabharata on TV
Last night, our soaps morphed into full length feature films as the new Teen Bahuraniyan on Zee fought neck to neck with Star's three in one combo of Kahaani, Kyonki and Kayamath. And my fingers went numb juggling the two channels, and then my mind went blank trying to piece together the million characters. Even the characters themselves were confusing one another, so you can understand the audiences' plight.

The most endearing bit to watch on Star's combo was Aroona Irani's brief dance on her sixties hit, Dilbar, Dilbar… The ageing actress may have got the wrinkles, but the grace remains. Teen Bahuraniyan is a mother of all saas bahu scraps.
With three saases and three bahus in the same household, you can just imagine the new peaks they'll scale on cat fights. Thank God, India is out of the World Cup, else even couch potatoes of the nation would die of stress.

RGV allows Sushant Singh's VO for Virrudh

Sushant Singh, crime reporter and protagonist Vasudha's (Smriti Irani) love interest in Sony's Virruddh on Sony Television is busy shuttling between the sets of this soap and Ram Gopal Verma Ke Sholay.

It so happened that the production team of Virrudh required Sushant's voice recorded for some last-minute changes in the dialogues but as he was busy shooting for RGV; he could not come to the Viruddh sets. Knowing the time constraints of our serials, the team dared to go to the Sholay sets, albeit skeptically, to record the actor's voice. Reliable sources inform that they were pleasantly surprised when RGV welcomed them and allowed Sushant to record the required dialogues for Viruddh.

In the Sholay remake, Sushant plays the role of Sambha. His filmy debut was as Pakya in Satya and then he went on to do several roles in films like Josh, Lakshya, Paisa Vasool, Shikar but became popular as Sukhdev in the Legend of Bhagat Singh. As for his comfort level with Ram Gopal Verma, this is not his first with the maverick director - he has earlier been featured in RGV films like Jungle, Kaun, Darna Mana Hai and now RVG Ke Sholay.

No wonder with such a wonderful and accommodating RGV, Sushant has taken up acting in serials, which is a demanding and time-consuming field.

http://www.tellychakkar.com/y2k7/mar/28mar/news_sus.php

Smriti's dad is a Vikram Gokhale fan

Smriti Irani is very pleased to have a veteran actor in home production, Virrudh on Sony TV. We are citing at Vikram Gokhale who essays the role of a shrewd industrialist, Dhirendra Raisinghania.

She was pleased as a punch when Gokhale signed the dotted line. Insiders reveal that Smriti has been enunciating that her father is a huge fan of Vikram and now that she was working with him, it meant a lot to her.

Gokhale is a well-known film actor with movies like Sanjay Leela Bhansali's Hum Dil De Chuke Sanam to his credit. Few know that for Virrudh, he had let go off a few film proposals. The reason for accepting this offer on the small screen is the plum and powerful role of a business magnate and media baron which really excited Vikram. He is the whole and sole of the show with the entire story revolving around him. It's better to be a big fish in a small pond that a small one in an ocean.

Hence, Tellywood's gain is Bollywood's loss, we guess!

Edited by niti_26 - 17 years ago
Kyunki... Sab 'Virrudh' Hai?

Smriti Irani shifts from a modern day Gandhari in KSBKBT to a dutiful daughter in Virrudh. Here's what the people have to say about this shift...

The mother of 5 children and the granny of 11, Tulsi must certainly have been busy during the past 7 years that Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi has been airing. Smriti Irani's character, that upholds the title of "Bharat Desh Ke Bahu", has seen plenty of ups and downs.

Married to Mihir Virani (played at different intervals by Amar Upadhyay, Inder Kumar and Ronit Roy), she is the pillar of strength for the Virani family.

With the immense popularity of Kyunki... the audiences now associate Smriti with the role of a motherly bahu. But the grandmother of Kyunki... is now playing a beti in her own serial!

In Virrudh, we see Irani playing a 20 something unmarried daughter of Dhirendra Rai Singhania (Vikram Gokhale), who is in love with Sushant Sharma (Sushant Singh), her boyfriend. Isn't the change of roles from grandmother to young girl a bit jarring to audiences?

Anil Nagpal, the script writer of Kyunki... feels that Smriti's new role as a young woman will not be hindered by her bahu role in Kyunki.... According to him, "The character played in Kyunki and Virrudh are totally different. There is no reason why people will not accept her as Vashudha in Virrudh; She is still young enough to play the role of a daughter. Many artistes have played a negative role then done a positive character and people have accepted it. I think it may be set in the mind of audiences that Smriti is Tulsi but they should realize that Smriti is an actor which gives her the freedom to select any role in which she feels comfortable!"

Rajshree Thakur of Saat Phere says "I think she is a really good actor and she can pull off any role. She already has a good role in Kyunki... and if she accepts another role it should be as good. But she should take care that one role does not overlap or overshadow the other."

Even though Smriti Irani's characters are vastly different they do share one similarity - they are both seen as a "dukhi aatma" on screen!

Kyunki Memory Capsules:
Tulsi's children:
Gautam Virani (Sumeet Sachdev)
Shobha Virani (Ritu Choudhary)
Ansh Virani (Akash Deep Saigal)
Harsh Virani (Mehul Kajaria)
Karan Virani (Hiten Tejwani)

Tulsi's grandchildren:
Eklavya Virani (Akashdeep Saigal)
Nakul Virani (Naman Shaw)
Mayank Virani (Rahoul Lohani)
Bhumi Virani (Chinky Jaiswal, Reshmi Ghosh)
Pushkar Virani (Vishal Mehra)
Laksh Virani (Pulkit Samrat)
Pari Mehra (Garima Bhatnagar)
Manthan Virani (Amit Tandon)
Archita Virani (Gunjan)

Adopted grandchildren:
Krishnatulsi (Mouni Roy)
Joydeep (Manav Vij)

http://www.indya.com/news/kyunki_virrudh.html