Viruddh - Har Rishta Ek Kurukshetra (Virrudh)

Virrudh Articles Archives-No Comments - Page 5

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 17 years ago

Q Were you on a holiday in Rajasthan last week?

No, I was shooting for the horror show Shhh… Koi Hai in a huge haveli in Rajasthan. I love shooting at outdoor locations because the ambience is quite different from the Mumbai studios and sets. Shooting at locations outside Mumbai is great fun and a very relaxed experience.

Q How was it working with Abhishek Bachchan in Dronha? You play his younger brother.

It's a small role but I enjoyed doing it. In fact, recently I was shooting at Kamalistan Studios in Mumbai and Abhishek also happened to be there. I was really surprised when he came to congratulate me for my Mountain Dew ad.

Q You started your career in a Rose Movies TV show called Remix which is also making Dronha with Goldie Behl as director. Are you related to Goldie?

Yes, we are distant relatives which I discovered much later. I got my first break with Rose Movies through an audition in Delhi. I always wanted to be an actor and was doing theatre in Delhi when I gave an audition for India Calling. But I was asked to do Remix. With no financial backup to survive in Mumbai without work I agreed to do the show. I don't think I did a good job but then it was the beginning and since then Rose Movies is like a second home for me. I have worked with them in Twinkle Beauty Parlour as well. Even the Shhh…Koi Hai episode I shot in Rajasthan is produced by Rose.

Q You are acting in Virrudh too. Do you think your character will get its due in the drama that's essentially a Smriti Irani show?

I had auditioned for the role a number of times and felt great when I got selected to play Vedant because Virrudh is a very slick and highly dramatic show. It has all the elements and ingredients of being a blockbuster. The first 15 episodes will set the pace for a dramatic flow of story and I hope it will continue.

Anyways, a daily soap revolves around TRPs. A lot of shows have been given a makeover because of low TRPs and I hope it doesn't happen to Virrudh as well. As for my role, initially Vedant and his sister Shreya are like the laughter lines of the show. But once relationships start changing every character will be at war with the other.

Q How excited are you about Betiyaan?

Quite excited because the role is that of a musician-cum-director. Nishant is a guy who is always with a guitar in his hand and looking for his muse for a music video. He ends up liking Savri but changes his mind and selects her sister who is a blind girl.

Actually the producer had called me with an open offer to choose any role of my liking but I couldn't see myself fitting in the show anywhere because it is essentially the story of six sisters. Finally I zeroed in on the character of Nishant because he has a Sufi kind of look and his world revolves around music.

Q You were appreciated a lot in Shanno Ki Shaadi.

It was a great experience speaking Hindi with a Punjabi accent. In fact, initially I used lots of Punjabi words but Divya Dutta told me to go easy on Punjabi because it was a Hindi serial. Working in the show was quite different and exciting because it was shot like theatre in a three-camera set-up. Being a theatre actor I felt I was acting on stage.

Q Is the going easy for you now with the required financial security having come in?

It is bit easy but I have not settled down completely in Mumbai. Acting profession is full of ups and downs.

Karan Mehra has bagged two interesting TV serials and is doing a film with none other than Abhishek Bachchan.

http://www.deccan.com/TV%20Guide/TV%20GuideDescription.asp#' Serials%20revolve%20around%20TRPs,%20acting%20has%20its%20up s%20and%20downs'

niti_26 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

The fight for eyeballs
(Posted on 30 March 2007)

It's been a happening week for the country's three mainstream channels this week. Two of them launched new shows on which may hinge the way their future viewership swings. The third tried to hit back with hour long specials of a combination of its top shows over two days. The fourth leading channel, which is slowly inching its way up, decided to stay away from any programming gimmicks. Wisely so.

Star Plus should not have bent backwards with those special episodes just to deflect attention from Virrudh and Teen Bahuraniyan. Both these shows are leagues away from standard Balaji fare. Smriti Iraani, the producer, is of a far better calibre than Smriti Iraani the actor. She proved it with Thodi Si Zameen Thoda Sa Aasman on Star Plus, and does it again with Virrudh on Sony. A gripping story, crisp dialogues and powerhouse performances converge to make for some terrific programming, otherwise rarely seen these days on Indian TV.

Virrudh may not be what the doctor ordered for the teeny bopper or the housewife who picks up her fashion cues from the latest soap, but it's a pleasure to watch the subtle power politics at domestic and professional levels that messrs Vikram Gokhale, Sushant Singh, Achint Kaur and others bring to the screen. Virrudh will talk about the way a manipulative media baron, played by Gokhale, controls the lives of not just his subordinates, but also his immediate family. All of this week's episodes were gripping, barring one where Achint broke into song in an inebriated state. Presuming Sony does not fall prey to TRP pressures and twist the story to suit the puerile taste of what it presumes are the 'mass audiences', Virrudh should leave a mark on the programming history of the channel.

Interestingly, so far there have hardly been any 'fresh young faces' on the serial, so crucial to any soap that's launched. Most like Achint, Sushant and Smriti herself, are pushing the 30s and look it. The show seems to bank on experienced performances, and that is bold experimentation enough in an age of stereotypes. Except for Smriti, who unfortunately cannot match the histrionics of her counterparts on the show.

Zee is out to woo the Gujjus again. The Gheewala family of Teen Bahuraniyan could be an extension of Sony's Thodi Khushi Thode Gham family, and relatives of Sony's Ek Mahal Ho Sapano Ka, not to mention Zee's own Betiyann family. The focus is on the elder daughters-in-law, who are vying to bring in the best daughter-in-law of their own into the family fold and win a prize. Paresh Rawal stepped in to do the voice over in the inaugural episode (he's the producer of this show), and going by the pace and the current story, it should get in the audiences. Zee is keeping its commitment to the female cause going with this show too, with the tag lines promising that a daughter-in-law is not a mere accessory. It did a similar gig with Betiyann, but last I checked, the daughters were still crying over destiny. Progressive promos help, but finally it's the tears that rake in the TRPs, right?

I tried to sit through the confusion of three soaps rolled into one on Star Plus on Monday and Tuesday. And gave up. Each of these serials has umpteen characters anyway. Mixing three was a surefire recipe for a migraine. All I could glean from the episodes was that madames Smriti Iraani and Saakshi Tanwar obviously can't stand to be in the same frame. All their conversations with each other were over the phone! Getting these two prima donnas of Balaji together would have been the real coup... alas, the channel couldn't manage that.

Edited by niti_26 - 17 years ago
shruti thumbnail

Role Of A Life Time!!

Achint Kaur is very excited about her character of Vedika in the new Sony's show 'Virrudh', which she says is a role of life time. She is playing the role of a person who is alcoholic but honest to the point of being brutal. However, for enacting this character, she had to observe the behaviour of real alcoholic people as she herself is a teetotaler. She has carved a niche for herself and generally avoids run of the mill weepy kind of roles common in soaps.

As she explains her role in her latest serial, ' Vedika is a rebel with a cause. An alcoholic and honest, to the point of being blunt. But she is not negative. She is aware of her father's true colours and is trying to protect her siblings from his manipulative ways. It's a role of life time, one that is not seen on T V these days. I am very excited after a long time.'

www.magnamags.com

shruti thumbnail

'I have only two friends, my husband and Ekta'

Smriti stalls her own shooting for Ekta Kapoor and also talks about her makeover — from a 65-year old to a 30-year old woman in Viruddh.

Smriti Irani in Virrudh

Smriti Irani's movement away from Ekta Kapoor's Balaji Telefilms to produce her own serials has put a further strain on her schedules. But ask Smriti if she cares and pat comes the reply, "Just the other day while I was shooting for my own serial Viruddh, I got a call from Balaji saying they needed extra shots for Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi. I immediately stalled my own shooting and rushed over. The teams for both of my productions Viruddh and Thodisi Zameen Thodasa Aasman have been set up in such a way that we've time for our families. When it comes to our families we cover for one another. And I've managed to  keep my relations with Ekta Kapoor on rock-solid grounds  in spite  of  my branching out as a  producer. I only have two friends, my husband and Ekta. "

Smiriti says she has become an expert at multi-tasking. She says, "Besides working in three serials I've also managed to campaign for the UP elections. As a BJP karya-karta I drove down to constituencies in-between my schedules. I know exactly how to divide my time between  my productions  and Balaji, and also have enough time for my  political activities and my family. At this very moment, I've my husband and children over on the set of Viruddh. We go out for dinner as soon as I wrap up.  As far as my work on Kyunki… is concerned, I'm answerable to only Ekta Kapoor. In fact when I agreed to streak my hair grey and play the grandma in Kyunki, it was my way of saying thank you to Ekta. So many people at Balaji have left because they had to age on screen. I was warned against doing it. I did it not just to keep my character going, but for Ekta."

The super-busy actress has devised ways of optimising her time frame. She says, "Having a bank of episodes for Viruddh helps me to keep my schedules flexible. Besides, I've done two serials simultaneously before. Early in my career I did Ramayan during Kyunki I had also done a comedy Kal aaj Aur Kal while doing a serious role in Kyunki…"

Smriti in Kyunki...

She has been keeping a low profile, as our Tulsi has. But Smriti is now seen simultaneously on the rival channel playing the young and bright Vasudha in Viruddh. Is makeover ka raaz kya hai? "But there is no makeover!" Smriti protests. She adds, "This is the way I am in real life! I've worn my normal clothes and hair and just added a dash of lipstick. For a change, I decided to look like myself. But let me tell you, I don't get excited about the glamour quotient. And so what if I had to play an old woman right at outset of my career? I don't consider white or black hair as a criteria for a good performance. I've never wanted to be known for my shade of lipstick or the size of my bindi. I'd rather wear minimalistic jewellery and let the camera take over."

Smriti is currently working on five serials. She says, "I won't say they're different from what I've done so  far, then I'd sound like a typical producer. But yes, I'm, doing software for Star, Zee and Sahara."

http://www.mumbaimirror.com/net/mmpaper.aspx?page=article&am p;sectid=12&contentid=20070402052652234cf1f9d90

shruti thumbnail
Apara is Smriti's saas again

Burying rumours of a rift during Kyunki Saas... the two actors come together in Viruddh.

ROSHNI K OLIVERA Times News Network

Apara Mehta will be Smriti Iraani's saas again. No, she will not be resurrected in Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi with some strange twist. Apara this week will enter Sony's Viruddh, a show produced by Smriti. She is playing Sushant Singh's mother and Smriti's mother-in-law in the serial.

Incidentally, last year, when Apara's character in Kyunki Saas... was bumped off, there were rumours that Smriti was responsible. Thereafter, there were reports of a fallout between the two. So now, when Apara is entering Smriti's serial, the industry is buzzing again wondering how and when the two patched up. Both the actors, however, remain unfazed by the rumours. Actually it was Smriti herself who called up Apara for the role. "When Smriti felt there was a character for me in the show she picked up the phone and told me about it," says Apara. About the supposed rift with Smriti last year, she says, "There was no problem at all. We don't know how those rumours started. Ekta Kapoor is a big producer and why would she listen to any actor! Smriti and I have been occasionally in touch on SMS. When she told me this role in Viruddh would be a huge thing in my career, I said fine." 

But will the two manage to recreate the saas-bahu drama here too? "Let us see how the chemistry between the two characters works. Here our characters are very different. I play a widow with absolutely no makeup — no kajal, no bindi, no jewellery, no lipstick!"

Edited by Manoj_Tina fan - 17 years ago
shruti thumbnail
I am not quitting Sony,that's final:Sandiip
   By: Shaheen Parkar
   April 2, 2007

Sandiip Sikcand, the channel's chief creative director, clears the air about buzz that he's been shown the door

It Ain't True: Sandiip Sikcand  
Pic/ PRADEEP DHIVAR

Contrary to rumours, Sandiip Sikcand is not quitting Sony. In the last couple of months, there has been more talk about his exit than the channel's shows that are currently on air.

Almost eight months after his appointment as Sony's chief creative director, Sikcand clears the air about the buzz around him and the channel's prospects.

Were you asked to leave the channel because shows weren't picking up?

There was no such thing. I am not quitting Sony and that's final. I was not asked to go nor am I leaving.

People would call me, saying, "Hey, you are still in office? We thought you had gone." I heard that my last working date was March 31. That day has come and gone and I am still in Sony's office.

So is the date April 30 now?

No. This is baseless talk. I've stopped reacting to them now.

Do you know who is behind these rumours?

I have no clue. If I knew, I would pick up the phone and ask the person why. Why write my obit even before I've gone?

It is being said that you floated these rumours yourself.

That's ridiculous. Why would I do such a thing? What would I gain from this?

A dose of publicity, perhaps? You love seeing your pictures in the papers.

That's crap. There are so many assumptions and allegations about and against me, which are all baseless.People have known me as a theatre person even before I joined Balaji Telefilms.

I've done several plays like Ask What Father Says, Oh God! And Champagne In The House with well-known actors, so it is not that I am suddenly basking in the limelight or looking to be written about.

Are you under pressure to perform?

My job is challenging. It's not easy and I've been giving it my all.

There is also speculation about the fate of several Sony shows…

Again, those are baseless rumours. None of the present shows are going to be pulled off the air. Kaajjal, Ek Ladki Anjaani Si, Thodi Khushi Thode Gham, Durgesh Nandinii and Jeete Hai Jiske Liye will continue.

The newly launched Virrudh has also received favourable response. In fact, Durgesh Nandinii has a new character Sikander (Mohit Malik) to challenge Durgesh and even Jeete Hai Jiske Liye is due for a major twist

Then why was Kulvaddhu targetted?

It was not targetted. We have conducted surveys to understand the profile of our viewers and realised that it was not fitting with the profile of the channel. There are certain policy decisions the channel has to take.

Was it done to appease another prospective producer?

Certainly not. No channel functions like that. To appease one producer we cannot displease another.

Are you the reason why there are no Balaji shows on Sony currently?

There is no such thing. A channel is open to all production houses and their ideas.

Why is there always buzz about your moves with reference to Ekta Kapoor?

This is what I have experienced from Day One at Sony. Balaji is my past. I have moved on and want to do this job the best I can.

Have you met Ekta since quitting Balaji?

No.

Will there ever be an end to the controversies around you?

I am unnecessarily dragged into it. I have encountered several ups and downs and it's all part of life. I have learnt to take all this in my stride.

http://www.mid-day.com/hitlist/2007/april/154633.htm

monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

'I have only two friends, my husband and Ekta'

Smriti stalls her own shooting for Ekta Kapoor and also talks about her makeover — from a 65-year old to a 30-year old woman in Viruddh

Back to Section Stories Posted On Monday, April 02, 2007
Mail this Article Print this Article Search
View Comments Rate this Article Comments

Subhash K Jha

Smriti Irani in Virrudh
Smriti Irani's movement away from Ekta Kapoor's Balaji Telefilms to produce her own serials has put a further strain on her schedules. But ask Smriti if she cares and pat comes the reply, "Just the other day while I was shooting for my own serial Viruddh, I got a call from Balaji saying they needed extra shots for Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi. I immediately stalled my own shooting and rushed over. The teams for both of my productions Viruddh and Thodisi Zameen Thodasa Aasman have been set up in such a way that we've time for our families. When it comes to our families we cover for one another. And I've managed to  keep my relations with Ekta Kapoor on rock-solid grounds  in spite  of  my branching out as a  producer. I only have two friends, my husband and Ekta. "

Smiriti says she has become an expert at multi-tasking. She says, "Besides working in three serials I've also managed to campaign for the UP elections. As a BJP karya-karta I drove down to constituencies in-between my schedules. I know exactly how to divide my time between  my productions  and Balaji, and also have enough time for my  political activities and my family. At this very moment, I've my husband and children over on the set of Viruddh. We go out for dinner as soon as I wrap up.  As far as my work on Kyunki… is concerned, I'm answerable to only Ekta Kapoor. In fact when I agreed to streak my hair grey and play the grandma in Kyunki, it was my way of saying thank you to Ekta. So many people at Balaji have left because they had to age on screen. I was warned against doing it. I did it not just to keep my character going, but for Ekta."

The super-busy actress has devised ways of optimising her time frame. She says, "Having a bank of episodes for Viruddh helps me to keep my schedules flexible. Besides, I've done two serials simultaneously before. Early in my career I did Ramayan during Kyunki I had also done a comedy Kal aaj Aur Kal while doing a serious role in Kyunki…"

Smriti in Kyunki...
She has been keeping a low profile, as our Tulsi has. But Smriti is now seen simultaneously on the rival channel playing the young and bright Vasudha in Viruddh. Is makeover ka raaz kya hai? "But there is no makeover!" Smriti protests. She adds, "This is the way I am in real life! I've worn my normal clothes and hair and just added a dash of lipstick. For a change, I decided to look like myself. But let me tell you, I don't get excited about the glamour quotient. And so what if I had to play an old woman right at outset of my career? I don't consider white or black hair as a criteria for a good performance. I've never wanted to be known for my shade of lipstick or the size of my bindi. I'd rather wear minimalistic jewellery and let the camera take over."

Smriti is currently working on five serials. She says, "I won't say they're different from what I've done so  far, then I'd sound like a typical producer. But yes, I'm, doing software for Star, Zee and Sahara."

Edited by monika.goel - 17 years ago
shruti thumbnail
'I will finally romance someone on screen '

Small screen fulfils actor Sushant Singh's wish

AAKANKSHA NAVAL-SHETYE

Having earned accolades for his performances on the big screen, actor Sushant Singh is now back to the small screen. "My last stint on television was in Dhadkan about six years ago," reveals Sushant, adding that over the years, the reach and the medium both have multiplied by leaps and bounds and he can certainly feel the difference. So, is that what prompted Sushant to consider small screen? "Well, I had been getting offers all this while, but nothing was interesting enough. I had been approached for Thodi Si Zameen, Thoda Sa Aasman earlier and I had quite liked the role. But somehow things didn't work out. Then when Virrudh was offered, I couldn't refuse. Like Thoda... it's a far cry from the regular saasbahu soap. The character is very strong and challenging as an actor." 
   Is he happy with the way it's shaping up? "Oh, absolutely. I don't regret my decision one bit, because it's shaping up exactly like they had told me and the response has been amazing," he explains. 
   Sushant will be seen romancing Smriti Iraani... "That's another reason I agreed to do the serial. I will finally romance someone on screen (laughs)." So, how's the chemistry between the two? "Initially, it took some time for chemistry to develop, but Smriti is a brilliant actor and I am not very bad either," he smiles. 

But wasn't he worried that his role may be overshadowed by Smriti's presence? "Not at all. There is no such insecurity involved. The serial is her production, but she knows that no serial can be a oneman show. I may not be in every frame, but I'm sure my role will make an impact everytime it's seen." Will he also be seen doing the song-n-dance routine on the small screen. "I hope not!" Sushant is quick to reply. Probe further and he reveals, "I don't mind shaking a leg for the big screen, but on the small screen, they usually rehash Bollywood numbers and I don't quite like the idea of copying. However, if it's an original number, then may be I would." So, will Bollywood take a backseat? "No, films will continue to happen. I don't intend to work on many serials at a time, so there is enough time for films as well." Looking back, how do you reflect on your journey as an actor so far? "It could've been better, no doubt, but I'm content. As long as I have a choice to make in the kind of roles I do, I'm happy. There've been ups and downs, but as they say: When the going gets tough, the tough get going!" he says optimistically.

shruti thumbnail
Smriti Iraani's sisterly act

He may be playing the role of Smriti Iraani's on screen brother in Viruddh on Sony, but the bond between Karan Mehra and Smriti doesn't seem to be limited only to the screen. Apparently Smriti treats him like her real sibling and Karan is said to have a deep liking for her.
   "She's been very sweet to me. She used to come to my vanity van and ask me if I was alright and if I had my meals and stuff. She really acts like me elder sister on the sets." Here's to some off screen bonding.