Views

Users

Frequent Posters

niti_26 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Talking point: with Vikram Gokhale

Aparna Chandra

Is Virrudh turning out be an interesting experience for you?
I'd use the word sensible. Smriti (Iraani) and her husband are wonderful people. Smriti as a producer spares absolutely no cost. Our director (Santram Verma) is a pleasure to work with. I don't feel like I am acting to be Dhirendra Raisinghania. I believe in the character as he is etched out. Often scripts come to us which are overly dramatic or lifeless, and while you are at it, you either have to up the tempo or take the extra life out of it. I am enjoying Virrudh with its easy characters and smooth dialogues.

You have become an icon where it comes to playing the character of an elderly guide. Don't you feel like breaking away?
I've been in the profession for 52 years and it was only 30 years ago when I got recognition as an actor. Since then, I've been called the star of Marathi TV and theatre. But I really don't associate with idea of being an 'icon'. This is a fleeting notion and come from those who don't look deeper into the medium. As for the repetition of roles, what do I do? Producers and directors seem convinced about the way I play these characters. That's why I lapped up Virrudh where my role has deep negative shades. This was a chance at breaking away.

What would you love to play?
A blind an, a mentally challenged person or even a historical character.

There's always a sense of smoldering intensity to all your characters. What prompts it?
My studied approach. I am very involved in what I do. I work 40 hours a day — I sleep only for about 3 to 4 hours. I am involved in films, in theatre (this interview is conducted during a rehearsal break for his forthcoming play Jaavai Majhaa Bhalaa which opens in May), in TV and radio. I write, direct and teach. Also, I am a realtor, most of my business is located in Pune. I own a mountain called Girivan, 39 kilometres from the city, which my firm Sujata Farms has developed beautifully.

Is there room for more?
Surely. Now I want to move behind the camera. I am going to shoot a DVD version of Jaywant Dalvi's play, Barrister, with Sachin Khedekar in the lead. I had done this role myself on the stage, Barrister Gokhale had become my moniker.

Edited by niti_26 - 17 years ago
niti_26 thumbnail
TELE EXPRESS

Out of the box

Piyush Roy

Virrudh
Thursday, 9.30 pm and 11 pm, Sony.
Rate: ****
Who's in it? Vikram Gokhale, Smriti Z Iraani, , Sushant Singh, Achint Kaur, Apara Mehta

The story so far? It may seem like another take on the poor-boy-rich-girl love tale with a machinating dad playing spoilsport. However, Virrudh's difference lies in its exploration of myriad dimensions of failed relationships in a rich dysfunctional family. It's led by an autocratic millionaire Dhirendra Raisinghania, played to seasoned perfection by the 60- plus Vikram Gokhale, in a role not too dissimilar from his last TV outing (Kuch ApneKuch Paraye). Raisinghania dotes on his favourite daughter Vasudha (Iraani), who incidentally happens to be illegitimate and aware of it. And his being a media tycoon (he owns a newspaper) helps merge a host of characters from his professional setup into the family story, sharing more than a bystander's take in the boss' family affairs. For starters, Raisinghania's chief crime reporter Sushant Sharma (Singh) is already in love with Vasudha, which her father predictably frowns upon.

What's hot? Kamlesh Pandey's applause-worthy dialogue; taut editing sans the mandatory zip-zap-zoom camera effects that seem to define the excitement level in our soaps and a great ensemble cast that's a mix of some of the best current TV talent and veterans from Doordarshan. Iraani and Gokhale deliver, but it's the well etched out supporting cast that's a treat to watch. Be it in Ashwini Kalsekar's subtle menace act as a page three editor or Achint Kaur's perennially inebriated elder daughter act. The eminently talented Kaur is finally seen in a long overdue acting role beyond her assumed forte at playing vamps. Anjan Srivastav endears in his editor act with a signature politically correct helplessness that reminds one of his everyman act of Wagle. Even the grey in the other characters isn't a gimmick-induced aberration.

What's not? The too many cardboard siblings towards the tail end of the Raisinghania family will hopefully get to showcase their mettle. Singh could do with a little less frowning. Scoop-searching journalists need not always be fighting or frustrated. Govind Namdeo's umpteenth take of a scheming politician has nothing new to offer.

Should you be watching it? Perhaps to assure yourself that good writing and quality content too can happen on TV in an era of me-too soaps with production line creativity and unidirectional non-acting. Producer-actor Iraani's conviction to allow other characters make a mark with often better lines than her needs to be applauded. Move over Tulsi, Vasudha could well emerge Iraani's new character identity.

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9

Apara Mehta in Virrudh

Putting rest to all speculations about a rift between Smriti and herself, Apara will make an entry in Virrudh. She's playing Uttara, Sushant's mother who has brought up her son single-handedly. She is aware of his fondness for Vasudha. Uttara, coincidentally comes to visit Sushant on the same fateful night when Sushant is mercilessly stabbed. She realizes that Vasudha is Dhirendra Rai's illegitimate daughter.

Talking about her role, Apara says, "I had agreed to play Uttara a long time ago, but kept a low-profile. My role is very different. You will find me sans make-up, jewellery and heavy saris which people are used to seeing me in. I am keeping my fingers crossed as to how they will accept me," quips Apara. The two have been touch over the phone, through sms and "wished each other on their birthdays". "Smriti told me that I have a huge role in the serial and I take her word for it," smiles Tulsi's maa.

http://www.screenindia.com/fullstory.php?content_id=15410

niti_26 thumbnail

Achint spews venom
Chaitanya Padukone
Sunday, April 08, 2007 22:09 IST

For the latest After Hrs News on mobile sms ENT to 4567

Achint Kaur (R) in Virrudh

Actor Achint Kaur is now seen as Vedika in the recently aired show 'Virrudh' (Sony). The role has negative shades as she plays an alcoholic who does not miss an opportunity to spew venom at her media baron father (Vikram Gokhale). Yet she shares an affectionate relationship with her stepsister Vasudha (Smriti Z Iraani).

Achint, who played the menacing Mandira in 'Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' (Star Plus), says, "I took up this role because it's not an extreme one. Thankfully, Vedika is not sadistic. She is justified in her bizarre behaviour because she is a troubled girl. She hates her scheming father for not letting her marry the man she loved." She adds, "It's a rebellious character, who is also wallowing in self-pity."

Achint reveals how she got her act right. "In order to play an alcoholic, I took inputs from my director Santram Verma and included my own observations at parties. Even when Vedika is drunk, she does not pass out, because her body has become immune to alcohol," elaborates Achint.

Incidentally, Achint who plays the headstrong Punjabi kudi Nikhila opposite Salil Ankola in Ektaa Kapoor's 'Karam Apna Apna ' (Star Plus) keeps abruptly disappearing from 'Kyunki…'. "Whenever the script demands my presence, I am back in 'Kyunki'," quips Achint in her husky voice, which she feels is an asset for her complex characters. "Strangely, I have played just four wicked characters out of the around two dozen roles that I have played. My forte has always been strong and spunky roles, regardless of whether they are good, bad or grey," she signs off.

monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

< id=selZoom = value=100 name=selZoom>
Edited by monika.goel - 17 years ago
shruti thumbnail

You are smart, handsome and successful. But do not have a girlfriend. This can be the beginning of a catastrophe because people might well suspect you to be a gay! Recently Bollywood actor, Ritiesh Deshmukh was asked if he was gay since he is not seeing anyone, and in addition to it has not been linked to any girl. The dilemma for men today is even if they find no time for relationships owing to their busy schedule or remain single by choice, they are sooner or later suspected to be gay. However our popular stars tell Ipsita Bhattacharya that it is not mandatory to be involved and there is no point in being in a relationship just to prove you are not a gay.

Karan Mehra
I would be really surprised if Ritiesh Deshmukh was gay, but the fact remains it's a personal choice. Moreover just because you are  good looking and smart does not mean you have to have a girlfriend. Love just happens, but it is not mandatory to have a girlfriend. Actually, I prefer not getting linked with anyone as I am in a seven year relationship with my girlfriend and am very happy about it.

www.deccan.com

shruti thumbnail
No TV for our kids, say telly actors

Though they act in the saas-bahu sagas, TV actors prefer to keep their kids from viewing such soaps.

ANJALI CHANDRA
   You could treat this as an admission of sorts. In a recent interview veteran soap artist Smriti Iraani admitted that she does not let her children watch her serials, preferring instead that they stick to educational programmes. While Iraani explains that this is her personal choice regarding the values she wants her children to grow up with, other tele-actors agree that considering the regressive nature of prime time soaps that they act in, they would rather prefer their children not view the programmes. 

As Ronit 'Mr Bajaj' Roy succinctly puts it, "That was a personal choice exercised by Smriti, and I agree with her. This is a job for me. I'm an artiste and I might be acting in an adult film, but that does not mean I would allow my five-year-old daughter to see it! Even while taking on those roles at times, I think that there mustn't be even one real-life family doing the things that form the premise of these serials!" 

Agreeing vehemently with Roy is actress Achint Kaur who, while laughingly admitting that her son is not likely to be interested in soaps, nevertheless is aware of the regressive nature of these shows. As she says, "No doubt these serials are regressive. Nothing that is shown in them takes place in the real world. Maybe aeons ago, but not in this day and age." 

So what is the solution to prevent children from being influenced by these shows? 

For Renuka Shahane, the answer lies in correcting the stereotyped image of television programmes. While vehemently denying TV censorship in the case of her own children "because there is definitely more than TV serials that influence a child's personality," Shahane avers, "I come from an era when TV provided something for everyone. Programmes took into consideration a variety of likes and dislikes. But now TV seems to have become stereotyped." 

"As actors, it is our responsibility to ensure we provide a variety to the viewers, instead of shows looking like mirror images of one another," says Smriti in answer to the question. While for Achint Kaur, "there is hardly anything relatable or contemporary in the soaps. TV needs a lager variety ranging from bread fiction to reality shows and everything in between." 

Something that Roy explains when he says, "What we need is holistic viewing. For example, there is an absolute dearth of good comic relief on TV. Also, action serials and detective shows would be a welcome change, but unfortunately action series have not done well in the past in India. The world over there are different time bands for children's shows, comic shows and a late night band for soaps. But in India, primetime viewing invariably means soaps."

shruti thumbnail

"Ekta called to say she liked my new serial"

Chaya Unnikrishnan

Juggling between three serials of which she is producing two, Smriti Irani is in an exciting phase of her career...

Between your two serials Thodi Si Zameen, Thoda Sa Aasman and Virrudh, which has got you maximum applause?
There's a distinct difference between the background and stories of the two serials and as a producer I feel proud. Thodi Si... is about a simple, chawl life while Virrudh is about this extremely rich Singhania family. The story-telling, the way it's shot and casting are completely diverse. Thodi... is aired on weekends at 10 pm, which is not a popular slot. Yet, the serial has managed to reach a TRP of 3+ which is a big achievement. It's a different type of storytelling - realistic and idealistic. Virrudh, on the other hand is just two weeks old but it's getting a heartening response. It's appealing to the elderly crowd as well as the youth working in call centres. I have got a positive feedback from my peers, co-actors and producers. Even Ekta called to say that she liked the serial.
How did you manage to get an ensemble cast for your serial?
I have always looked out for actors who fit the characters. When I wrote the script I wanted Vikram Gokhale, Sushant Singh and Achint Kaur. And - surprise, surprise - when I approached them, everybody came on board within minutes of my narrating the story. I think the reason they agreed immediately was because I gave them their character graph from day one to the end of one year. As for Sushant, I had approached him earlier for Thodi Si... but it didn't work out. This time he was happy with the results and was willing to be a part of the soap.
Apara Mehta's entry into the serial came as a surprise to many because of your alleged fall-out sometime ago.
These kind of reports are written either to peak interest, increase TRPs or to create trouble. I have never used the press as a platform. People I am associated with know me and that's all that matters. I was very keen that Apara play this particular non-glamorous character and when I called her, she agreed.
For the first time we are seeing her sans heavy make-up, jewellery and bindi.
I wanted the actor Apara to be enhanced.
How are you balancing your act between being a hands-on producer and actor?
I think it's an exciting period in my career. Very rarely does one get such an opportunity on television and it is all about utilising it to the best. I am playing three different characters from different backgrounds...
And age groups...
The age group of Uma (Thodi...) and Vasudha (Virrudh) is almost the same. Vasudha is a contemporary woman who's not overtly ambitious and is quite content with her life, whereas Uma is a fiery woman who's had to face too many ups and downs in her life and is hoping for things to smoothen out. As for Tulsi, even today I am charged about playing this character who's had a fascinating journey from a nubile 18-year old to the grand age of 60. There's a kind of thehrav to her. She's not as agitated as she was earlier.
There was a time when Tulsi was considered real and hailed for her ideals. Is she still realistic?
It's a melodrama. How real can she be?
Now-a-days one sees a lot of your solo shots in Kyunki.... And whenever there's a group there's a feeling that a duplicate is being used. Comment.
Time and again people have tried to create a controversy around the serial but thankfully I have stayed away from it. I don't answer such questions, these are technical queries that should be addressed to the person concerned. I am just a employee there.
So, which is your favourite role?
The one I play at home, that of a mom (laughs).
Many actors who are playing the lead prefer to stick to one serial. You are the protagonist in three serials. Isn't it difficult?
As I said I am enjoying this period in my life. When you start a new serial, it takes time to get into the character but then you kind of settle into it. This make it easy. I am not saying you can switch on and off from the character. But you also never ever become the character. You only incorporate personality traits you have observed into the role.
What about the production hassles?
Fortunately, I have had sincere support from my production teams. I have chosen the best names in all the fields from direction to cinematography who take care of all the minute details.
Has your banner Uragya Entertainment lined up any more shows in the near future?
Yes, there's one coming up for Zee. I can't talk more about it now.

Will you be acting in it?
No. I can't possibly take up any more work!

http://www.screenindia.com/fullstory.php?content_id=15482