Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

shruti thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
Posted: 17 years ago

Vikram Gokhale, Actor

don't get much time to watch television but when I do, I tune into HBO and STAR Movies. I love watching good cinema not only as an entertainment but also as a study. Besides that, I avidly watch National Geographic, Animal Planet and History channel. For news I catch NDTV. Sports excite me, it doesn't matter whether it's cricket, tennis, football or billiards. In fact, I used to play cricket in my hey days. I was a good bowler and fielder. So, I am keenly following the World Cup and India's ouster doesn't affect me. It's just a game, after all.

http://www.screenindia.com/fullstory.php?content_id=15485

shruti thumbnail

www.mumbaimirror.com

Edited by Manoj_Tina fan - 17 years ago
shruti thumbnail
'I haven't followed TV in 25 years'

The only time Vikram Gokhale watches a serial is on the sets after giving a shot.

HARSHADA REGE

From theatre to films to TV, Vikram Gokhale has not only done it all, he's done it both in Hindi and Marathi. The actor who's presence is felt every time he steps on the screen, doesn't believe in harping on the achievements of the past. Gokhale, who is now seen in Viruddh, says he isn't seen very often on screen because he is not offered roles that are tempting enough. "I agreed to do Viruddh immediately because I knew I could do a lot with this character, who pretends to be something he is not. It's something that applies to all of us. Right from the time we wake up to the time we go back to sleep, we are constantly pretending to be someone who others will like and accept," says Gokhale. 

The actor say that though the TV industry is changing rapidly, he has learnt to adjust. "One has to adjust or one is thrown out of the flow of life. I am sure a day will come when instead of dailies there will be three episodes telecast in one day of the same serial," he says. The actor's fondness for theatre is apparent. "I don't do theatre for just the money. I get to learn every moment even if it's the same play. TV too has its plus points. This is the only medium which allows you to reach so many viewers and helps you mint money. Films, on the other hand, are only about heroes. I can't see myself being offered a role of such length." But despite working in serials, Gokhale doesn't watch TV. "I haven't really followed TV in the last 28-29 years. I mostly watch films. The only time I watch a serial is when I give a shot and go to the monitor to see it," he says. The audience has mostly seen him in very serious roles. Does he prefer it that way? "I would love to do a comedy. But not the kind of comedy that's being made today. For me, comedy should stem out of tragedy. When there is so much pain that one has no choice but to laugh at it. The kind of comedy that Raj Kapoor or Charlie Chaplin used to understand and make," he says.

monika.goel thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

Edited by monika.goel - 17 years ago
shruti thumbnail

Why Sushant is not 'Virrudh' TV

The actor asserts that the small screen affords a wider exposure

Why did you opt for TV after all these years?
Unlike other soaps, 'Virrudh' (Star Plus) didn't demand a major chunk of my time, which leaves me time to pursue good cinema. Also, today I am in a position where my directors are ready to adjust their shooting schedules for me. Above all, television as a medium gives more exposure with better recall value. 

How do you plan to create a niche amidst the female-oriented serials?
It is true that television today is primarily female oriented. But 'Virrudh' (Sushant plays Smriti Z Iraani's love interest) wishes to target male viewers at prime time. So creating a niche won't be a problem. 

You've taken long to establish yourself as an actor.
Anyone who enters the industry needs time to understand the functioning of this industry. I lacked the business sense required to survive here. It took me almost a decade to learn and make my place, if not as a star definitely as an actor.

Do you miss playing the protagonist in your movies?
At times yes! A lot of things change when you are the protagonist of the story. You are treated like 'the man' on the sets. It also instils a lot of confidence in you as an actor and that shows in your performance. I miss playing the protagonist just for that confidence.

You have been playing a cop or an army man often. Is it a choice or coincidence?
It's a mere coincidence that I have been playing these roles. It's only now when people are pointing this out that I have come to realise this fact. I have no intentions of replacing the veteran Jagdish Raj as the cop.

http://www.dnaindia.com/report.asp?NewsID=1091687

monika.goel thumbnail

Customized Safari trip for Ashwini Kalsekar.

Today on the auspicious day of Akshay Tritiya when Hindus shell their moolah for gold investments, Ashwini Kalsekar (Aadira bua of Jeete Hai Jiske Liye) follows suit but her indulgence is a brand new Tata Safari Dcor. And it's not just a regular model - this one's going to be custom made to her taste!

Most actors opt for a limited edition but Ashwinijust didn't think it would be perfect for her; she reasons, "I wanted a car that would accommodate my necessities; I do my make-up in it, so good lighting is vital. I also need a refrigerator in my vehicle, a monitor for my DVD player, but all of that does some in a fully loaded Dcor. There are a few more things I wish to improvise, however it will take it's time as I haven't found the right people to get the changes done my way."

So is she going to bring it in with a lot of aplomb? "No, I am not the pompous types. Also, it's just a car and not big a thing. I will perform the ritual pooja as it is a propitious day, after which the car will be welcomed home. We will later drive it to the local temple." She is hushed up on the price stating that the changes are minor.

The car brings in a sigh of relief for Kalsekar as travelling has been quite a task for some days now. She drives to all her shoots in boyfriend Murli's (Sharma) car. "Yes, I am using his vehicle for a while and the poor guy is forced to use public transport. He travels in cabs to all his shoots and assignments and still insists that I take the car." It touches Ashwini to see how her man's love manifests even in little things like these. "It is so sweet, he knows I can not bear the heat, it just drains me out and with the gruelling shooting sessions, I have no stamina left. He understands it all and it's such a big sacrifice on his part, especially in the scorching summer."

Love is definitely in the air and as she drives in with her Safari today, she will make life comfortable for Murli as well!

By KAVITA DADHE

Posted on 19 April 2007 4:58 pm

shruti thumbnail

By Mili Swarnakar

Apara Mehta, popular for her role as Savita chachi in Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi. has now bagged Virrudh, where she plays mom-in-law to Smriti Irani once again. "Smriti and I make a great pair. Our chemistry has always worked, which is why I was offered the role," she says denying rumours about her and Smriti not being on good terms.

Excerpts from an interview:

Q There were rumours about Smriti and you not being on good terms.

Not true. We've always shared a good relationship, worked together for so many years and have never come in each other's way. When Smriti offered me this role, the only reason why I was skeptical about taking it up was because it was totally de-glamourised, no jewellery or make-up. Yet I took it up because it was challenging and the script was good.

Q How is Smriti as a producer and as an actress?

Smriti is doing very well as a producer. She is always well prepared and ready with her script for the actors' convenience. As an actress, Smriti is brilliant.

Q Now that you have found out that Vasudha is Dhirendra's daughter, what is going to happen next? Will your character change?

Yes, now that a lot of things are revealed and a lot of confusion cleared, I have found out that Vasudha is Dhirendra's daughter. I will want Vasudha to marry my son so that I can trouble Dhirendra further. In an upcoming episode, you will watch me go to Dhirendra's house and literally tear him to pieces in my sweet, calm tone. It's worth watching.

Q How has your experience been so far on Virrudh?

Good so far, but to tell you the truth, I had difficulty in portraying the role and grasping the character because it was so different. After I joined the serial, I realised that I had to be on my toes all the time because I was working with some brilliant actors.

Q Your character as Kukki Kakisa in Saat Phere was scheduled for a comeback. Does Virrudh rule out such a possibility?

Yes, there were talks but I don't know what is going to happen. I really liked my character in Saat Phere. It was the best-written negative character. Though it was a three-month cameo, it was extended to four months. I'd love to be back.

Q How many serials are you working in at present?

Three serials. In Solhaah Shringar I do not have too much of screen time. It's on and off. My other shows are Karam Apna Apna and Virrudh. I've also been doing a lot of theatre, yet I'm managing my schedules well.

Q What's the difference in working with Ekta Kapoor and the others?

Once an actor works for Balaji Telefilms, he/she has trouble working elsewhere because you get pampered at Balaji's sets. Though the next day's script is decided just the previous day and sometimes dates go haywire, everything else balances it. Outside, everything is organised but one does not get the kind of treatment you get at Balaji.

Q Have you thought of becoming a producer?

(Laughs) Why should I take the trouble of running behind actors? I'm better off as an actor.

Q Is your daughter going to take up acting?

Yes. My 21-year-old daughter has written a play and she is also acting in it. I'm happy the way she has dealt with such a serious topic. The play is a hit. we have done around 36 shows in 30 days.

http://www.deccan.com/TV%20Guide/TV%20GuideDescription.asp#' Virrudh%20keeps%20me%20on%20my%20toes'

shruti thumbnail
The Ekta-Smriti war:

Is the Ekta-Smriti war for real ? The news of Tulsi maiya being replaced by Gautami Gadgil in Kyunki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi ,the mother of all soaps has left us a wee bit confused. Now, wots the real story behind this?

Our khabru reveals that there have been some undercurrents between the guru shishya since the time the latter turned producer. When Smriti was hell bent on having her way, Ekta went ahead and supported her as a co-producer with Thodi Si Zameen Thoda Sa Aasmaan.

Later when Smirti was ready to roll out Viruddh, Ekta backed out of Thodi…
Smriti who's now playing the lead in more than three serials is unable to give Kyunki the required time and in fact the creative team has been having a difficult time carrying on the shoots. Obviously, the Balaji head honcho is miffed at this. Or is she also miffed at the fact that Virrddh has actually been able to create quite a buzz in the market?

Though we can't really imagine Kyunki without Tulsi, but then remember Ronit replaced Amar Upadhaya as Mihir and actually became more popular over a period of time. Afterall, the small screen is about characters and not about actors. Will the creative team be able to pull off another actor as Tulsi who's so integral to the soap? Or will it be the end of Kyunki; afterall all good things in life come to an end remember.

http://www.tellychakkar.com/y2k7/apr/24apr/grapevine.php#ekt a

monika.goel thumbnail

Shoe off!

Back to Section Stories Posted On Sunday, April 22, 2007
Mail this Article Print this Article Search
View Comments Rate this Article Comments

Ram Kamal Mukherjee

Sushant Singh with daughter Kuhu
Last night I bumped into actor Sushant Singh at Cinemax Versova. The actor was rushing from the dubbing studio of Ram Gopal Varma Ke Sholay to the theatre. (He is playing Sambha in the film.) He looked a little troubled, and when I asked him the reason for this, he said, "My daughter Kuhu is waiting for me, she wants me to see the film from the beginning, but I am already 15 minutes late. Now she will kill me." Kuhu was waiting for her papa and was overjoyed to see him… at last. Since the father-daughter duo was sitting right beside me, I could make out that Kuhu desperately wanted to say something to her dad, but Sushant insisted that Kuhu must watch the film first and then talk. After the show got over, Sushant realised that Kuhu was wearing her left shoe on her right foot and vice versa. All Kuhu wanted to tell her dad was that he should interchange her shoes. Sushant immediately did the needful and little Kuhu was all smiles again.

Mail this Article Print this Article Search
View Comments Rate this Article Comments
BACK TO SECTION STORIES