NRI Kids Always Teased in Movies

Posted: 17 years ago

heyy dostonπŸ˜ƒ

I wud like to discuss sotmhing with you guys. In every Indian movie, Indian kids from USA and UK are always shown as rich, spoiled, stupid brats. They smoke pot and drink alchohal. They are always as kids who don't care about their Indian culture and have complete American accents. Nowdays in USA and UK, NRI kids go to the mandir's, perform at Indian dance shows and festivities, and they do speak Indian languages. In movies, they are picturised so poorly. There are few who are like that but not all of us. I am a NRI but I am not like that. I speak good Hindi and Gujrati and I actually have a fobbish accent. I mostly hang out with my Indian friends and go to the movies to want Indian movies. Don't you think NRI's are always considered as an ABCD(American Born Confused Desi)??

Pyaari,

xx Shailee xx

.Edited by ani11 - 14 years ago
Hello Pyaari, we had a similar topic posted here earlier.. I will dig it out although it went a bit out of control back then.

1. Indian movies do not portray most people, their career issues, their religious matters, their life-style correctly. NRI kids also form a group of misrepresented people. Even immigrated Indians tend to be stereotyped and exaggerated very many times.

2. There are people who also believe that kids brought up here are all confused. I do agree that a cultural diversity can pose a challenge to them, but that need not make them confused. Also, just being born in and growing up in India doesn't make all desis free of confusion πŸ˜†

I see confused desis all around πŸ˜† some are american born and some are Indian born. Why just desis? There are confused people around the globe.
Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago
Originally posted by Pyaari_Shailee

I wud like to discuss sotmhing with you guys. In every Indian movie, Indian kids from USA and UK are always shown as rich, spoiled, stupid brats. They smoke pot and drink alchohal. They are always as kids who don't care about their Indian culture and have complete American accents. Nowdays in USA and UK, NRI kids go to the mandir's, perform at Indian dance shows and festivities, and they do speak Indian languages. In movies, they are picturised so poorly. There are few who are like that but not all of us. I am a NRI but I am not like that. I speak good Hindi and Gujrati and I actually have a fobbish accent. I mostly hang out with my Indian friends and go to the movies to want Indian movies. Don't you think NRI's are always considered as an ABCD(American Born Confused Desi)??

Pyaari,

xx Shailee xx

Hey Shailee.. Movies can and will portray anything good and bad about everything... It is fiction and does not have to have a disclaimer or some NA (Not Accurate) rating so we all have to watch , enjoy and make our own decisions...!!!

Hi Shailee,

We had a fun😳 debate on similar topic. Please check here for more views https://www.indiaforums.com/forum/topic/552406

i think NRI kids are shown badly because most of them are like that
they just have a bad repuation
but in the punjabi movie, Asa Nu Maan Watna Da,the NRI kids were good πŸ˜†
What movies was this shown in? πŸ˜•
I think they depict a general rule rather than exceptions.. Also the general rule may be outdated.. but its a fact that when nri kids visit india with some of thek american/uk fads they look silly and butt of all humor... like for example any american kid who visits india shows off his undies from his pants is going to be branded ABCD - Ag Baayi Chaddi Distey... πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

Originally posted by qwertyesque

I think they depict a general rule rather than exceptions.. Also the general rule may be outdated.. but its a fact that when nri kids visit india with some of thek american/uk fads they look silly and butt of all humor... like for example any american kid who visits india shows off his undies from his pants is going to be branded ABCD - Ag Baayi Chaddi Distey... πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† Qwert Aap bhi na πŸ˜†

Stereotyping 🀒 This isnt limited only to NRI's

One of my friends watched Namaste London yesterday,and she was pretty amused and bemused at the portrayal of the native British.Racism definitely exists,and "in your face" and blatent racism isnt unheard of,but portrayal in films where an Indian bloke breaks into an "India Glorification" lecture is plain imbecilic. ..Gloating about one's nation isnt surely the answer to racial discrimination

Not to forget,portrayal of fellow Indians in films..Tamilians being made fun of as "Madrasis",Bengalis being caricatured so on and so forth

Bottomline..Movies arent to be taken seriously,films are based on scripts which invariably try to project the hero as a mascot,which means he would have to fight someone and win,thus for a more pronounced effect,the villain is vilified beyond all levels of plausibility, just akin to how the hero is glorified and rendered to be a mahatma far removed from reality

Edited by Buffie - 17 years ago