Sports/Cricket

Pakistan team's 'unending nightmare'

*Fiza* thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Pakistan team's 'unending nightmare'
As play resumes in the Cricket World Cup, the Pakistani team is now far from the action, in Jamaica's Montego Bay, preparing to return home after what is probably the most traumatic few days in the country's cricketing history.
Shahid Afridi
Shahid Afridi said he was feeling very low and subdued
They left the Pegasus hotel in Kingston on Thursday, some four hours before police announced that the death of their coach, Bob Woolmer, in the hotel was being treated as murder. But even before they departed, the rumours that Woolmer had been murdered were taking their toll. "It seems like a nightmare," all-rounder Shahid Afridi told the BBC Urdu service's Shafi Naqi Jamie. "It doesn't seem to be ending, it's one thing after another," he said, referring to the defeat by Ireland, Woolmer's death and the subsequent investigation. Afridi said he was feeling very low and very subdued over Woolmer's death. "It feels like part of your body is missing, like your father has been taken away," he said. The assistant coach, Mushtaq Ahmed, who has temporarily stepped into the head coach role, said: "The team is demoralised and dejected." Spin bowler Danish Kaneria, who was staying in the next room to Woolmer, said: "I feel so sorry that I was unable to do anything at such a difficult time for Bob. "Bob was a great coach too before he became the coach of Pakistan. It's a great personal loss to me and a tragedy to Pakistan." 'No suspicion' The players all said they had been advised by the Jamaican police not to talk to the press about the individual police interviews they had had following Woolmer's death.
Pakistan team player
The team is 'demoralised and dejected'
But team spokesman Pervez Jamil Mir described the questioning, in which the players had their fingerprints taken, as "routine". He said the players were asked when they had last seen Woolmer and whether there was anything unusual in his behaviour. Jamaican police deputy commissioner Mark Shields confirmed to the BBC that the team would be allowed to fly out on Saturday, unless circumstances changed. He said Woolmer's body would be on the same plane, which is stopping off in London. The outgoing head of the Pakistan Cricket Board, Nasim Ashraf, has dismissed any suggestion that the players are suspects.

"The Bob Woolmer case is under investigation, but I want to make it clear that there is no suspicion on the Pakistani team," Mr Ashraf said, speaking from the north-western Pakistani city of Peshawar.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

*Fiza* thumbnail
oh gosh!!! when wud it be over... as a fan i can't see this at all...
aishiya thumbnail
ALLAH huamrey PAKISTAN ko whohe PAKISTAN bana dey jisska dream saab PAKISTANI bananey walon ney dekha tha.. amin sum main

ye bohat he mushkal time hai hum saab PAKISTANIES par.. not ppl in PAKISTAN also ppl living outside PAKISTAN.. we are facing such a bad comments and behaviour of non-pakistani ppl.

ALLAH har insan ko ezat karney or karwaney ke tofeek dey..or who he ho jo hum key haq mein behtar hai.. amin sum amin 😊
Junglee_Sher thumbnail
God help Pakistan! Jaisa Pakistan ke saath hua waisa kisi ke saath na ho
*Fiza* thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: aishiya

ALLAH huamrey PAKISTAN ko whohe PAKISTAN bana dey jisska dream saab PAKISTANI bananey walon ney dekha tha.. amin sum main

ye bohat he mushkal time hai hum saab PAKISTANIES par.. not ppl in PAKISTAN also ppl living outside PAKISTAN.. we are facing such a bad comments and behaviour of non-pakistani ppl.

ALLAH har insan ko ezat karney or karwaney ke tofeek dey..or who he ho jo hum key haq mein behtar hai.. amin sum amin 😊

true..bas ab hum sab waqt badelney ka intezaar hi ker saktey hein... aisa lagta hai jaise kisney team ko nazar laga di...allah kare hamary team se buri nazar utar jaye.. and once again our team will become a champion and a respectful team (inshallah)😃

*Fiza* thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: abhi_123

God help Pakistan! Jaisa Pakistan ke saath hua waisa kisi ke saath na ho

now ur making me cry😭.....why does it has to happened with this team..😭...when wud this  all be over?????????  hum to sirf dua ke saktey hein...😕

Edited by Fiza_87 - 17 years ago
mirchy thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail
Oh Gosh!!!! Y is it happenin 2 Pakisthan? 😭 . God plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz help Pakisthan!!! They need ur help!!!! Madad keejiye Allah!!!! 😭
mini2390 thumbnail
i really feel bad for our Pak team!!! 😭 i cant help but feel sorry for every single one of them! they have been thru soooo much these past 7-8 months! and then the disastrous ireland match criticism and worst of all, the incident wid Bob!....

in an interview Inzy said that the players r still in a shock, they r physically wid him but mentally they r not wid him at all!.... he even said wenever he talks to sum of the players, they have blank faces and dont understand wat to say in reply!...

but thank god they r out of the WI!!!!! they r ryt now in london and will be leaving London soon.... and then they will have a long break from cricket until September! i wish the players forget all that happened, even though it will be tough, they have to move on.... my best wishes r always wid our Pak team! 😳
Junglee_Sher thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Fiza_87

now ur making me cry😭.....why does it has to happened with this team..😭...when wud this  all be over?????????  hum to sirf dua ke saktey hein...😕

I don't know when all this will be over, magar Pakistan ke saath bahut bura hua, kismat saath nahi thi, Pakistan was unlucky
rani_786 thumbnail

This content was originally posted by: aishiya

SUMA AMEEN....

pak pr jho mushkil waqat aya hai Allha usse asaan kare ....yhe saal pak k lye boht hi kharab hai sab ghalt hi ho raha hai....Allha sab ki mushkil asaan kare Ameen....

yhe do agtree wid yha aishiya its really hard to c pak playerz in dis situation...feel really helppless coz we cnt do anythin but jus watch.....jus hope dis bad phase passes away quickly.....on top media iz makin it worse apni marzi ki khabar chapte rehte hain jin ka koi naam nishan nai hota....its been sed soo many tymz by wi police k by takin finger prints ov pak team n oda investigation iz jus a routine investigation..iz nt as if der r suspects...but log esse baatain karte hain jesse its pak team jiss ne yhe kya ho...😭😭😭....As u sed aishiya Allha sab ko izzat karne aur karwane ki tofeeq atta kare Ameen......my Dua'z r wid pak team Inshallha everythin will b orite....am paki pakistani n will sport ma team till end INSHALLHA......luv ma pakistan n luv ma pak team...🤗🤗🤗

RANI........