‘Break’ ke baad !-Anuj

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 16 years ago
'Break' ke baad !

Tired of run-of-the-mill roles, many television stars now prefer to take a break instead of playing insubstantial characters. BT reports...

DARSHANA CHATURVEDI

Television is riding high on its popularity and reach. The channels are busy making money and the production houses are turning into manufacturing units where soaps are made on the same tried and tested formulas. But in this moneyminting race, the TV stars are now getting tired of the 'old wine in a new bottle' formula. Many TV actors are now taking a sabbatical to get a break from these everconstant formula serials. Instead, they are busy catching up with friends and family and are willing to wait till they get 'challenging' roles.
   Actor Rajev Paul recently opted out of a daily soap as he did not want to be a part of the project. He says, "Presently, I am enjoying my stint as an anchor. I am doing stage shows across the country. The best part is that I get to write my scripts, which require some research and learning. I also get a chance to connect with the audience directly. Most importantly, I am experiencing a creative high." Some of them feel that a sabbatical actually helps an actor. Says Kanchi Kaul who has taken a break after playing the main lead in Sony's Ek Ladki Anjani Si, "We work round the clock, and a break helps you to rejuvenate. Presently, I am busy doing television commercials and I would only do a serial if it offers something new in terms of content and characters. I don't want to be a part of the usual family drama." Actor Sumeet Raghavan strongly feels that the television as a medium needs a major turnaround. He says, "Whatever roles that I am offered are not exciting. I don't mind waiting for a good role. Presently, I am utilising my energy towards learning music. I could not do so for the last 16 years due to my work schedule." Actors like Anuj Saxena have got into TV production while Yash Tonk had found a nice break in form of a dance competition. There are some who have taken a break from the small screen to concentrate on the silver screen. Actress Neha Bamb, who played the lead role in Kaisa Yeh Pyaar Hai, took a twomonth break after the serial ended. "I think it's a good idea to take a break after doing a daily soap. After the break, I headed South to act in movies, as that's where I had started my career. TV was hardly exciting for me, so I decided to go back to my roots." She is now back on the small screen in Maayka. Are tele serial producers listening?