Health & Fitness

How much should I work out?

-Khushiyana- thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 17 years ago

How much should I work out?
If you begin an exercise regime that is too advanced, you increase your change for injury. Build your routine gradually to help prevent sore muscles, injury or burnout. You won't see conditioning results after one weekend of working out; usually your fitness level will start to improve after 2 to 3 weeks, with measurable improvement after 4 to 6 weeks of regular exercise. Most people, however, find the feel better mentally after only doing a little exercise.

Before starting, figure out how intense your workout needs to be in order to improve your cardiovascular system. Find your maximum heart rate (the fastest your heart can beat) and your target heart rate by using the formula below:

220 - your age = Maximum Heart Rate
(.60) x your Maximum Heart Rate = Lower target heart rate
(.85) x your Maximal Heart Rate = Upper target heart rate
Calculate the last two numbers to identify your target heart range for exercising. Try to keep your heart beating at a rate between these numbers for at least 20 minutes to improve your cardiovascular system.

Remember, an exercise program doesn't have to take hours you don't have.

As little as 30 minutes a day, 3 days a week can start to improve your physical fitness.

Exercising at more than you target hear rate will do little to condition you heart and lungs and may cause harm. On the other hand, exercising below 60% of your maximal heart rate doesn't work your cardiovascular system hard enough to produce conditioning benefits.

Many new exercisers make the mistake of working out too hard. When you begin your exercise program, try to keep your heart rate at 60% of your maximum; as you get into better condition, gradually increase the intensity of the workout. If you are exercising within your target heart rate, you should be able to carry on a conversation while your heart is beating fast, and you should be sweating. If you can't talk easily, you are pushing your body too much and need to slow down. Take your pulse for ten seconds and multiply that number by 6 to find your hear beat per minute. Do this three times during your workout to see if you are working hard enough or if you are overworking your body.

Your workout, should involve three phases: 5 minutes of warmup, 20 or more minutes of exercising in your target range, and 5 minutes of cool down. A warm up helps loosen your muscles and helps your heart and lungs to slowly increase their level of functioning. For a warm up, try doing your activity at a slow motion pace, or do some slow easy stretches.

The cool down is also very important. It allows your body to slowly relax and helps avoid the dizziness and muscle soreness that stopping abruptly can cause. Repeating your warm up exercises or walking can effectively cool you down.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MrsKaranGrover thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
tfs..yes i know this...u should owrk out mininmum 30 minutes three times a week... 😛

if u have more time den increase de days and time as u want! 😉
desi_chick05 thumbnail
Originally posted by: virals

My advice would be to not follow anybody else's advice or follow what's written in the magazines and books. Every person has their own type of body, and their are certain exercises they can do for longer period of time.
Whenever you workout , workout for different amounts of time, and log in the results. For example, If today you worked out for thirty minutes , after you are done, weigh yourself and take the pulse rate. Then next time workout for longer or shorter time and weigh yourself. If you are loosing weight,if that's what you want,then workout for longer amount of time. If you want to maintain a certain weight,then you only need to workout for 15 minutes and maybe twice a week. I mean there are lots of factors that you have to consider, you can't eat fat foods either. If you do, then one or two vegetables should balance it out. There is no such thing as you will injure yourself if you workout longer, that's only when you don't follow a certain exercise the way you are suppose to. I am trying to sound professional, hopefully you will get the point accross.

And i have a question, i just joined this, is this like All-girls forum only ?

nice tips=)

& no there are sum guys😛 but its female dominated😆

mesmerized thumbnail
i exercise 5x a wk 4 20mins...get really exhausted so hvnt rised tme hehehe

t4s