Computers, Science, Technology

EA, Endemol Develop ’Virtual Me’

albusdumbledore thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Electronic Arts (EA) and Endemol Group have announced a creative partnership for the development of 'Virtual Me,' an online offering to debut in Endemol's top-rated 'Big Brother' show.

'Virtual Me' is a new concept in digital entertainment that aims to bridge the divide between traditional TV and videogames by combining EA's avatar creation technology with Endemol's popular TV programming formats.

Using Avatar creation technology, viewers can create life-like cyber-clones or online representations of themselves, with uniquely customized appearances and identities. With these avatars, they can participate in virtual versions of Endemol TV talent shows, such as Fame Academy and Operacion Triunfo; game shows including Deal or No Deal and 1 Vs 100; plus form real relationships with other virtual avatars on the Web.

Peter Bazalgette, Chief Creative Officer of Endemol, said, "We are told that people are starting to spend more time online than they are watching TV. Both markets are now important, and this has huge implications for content creators. Our opportunity with EA is to develop ideas that fully embrace the way people are consuming entertainment today."

Commenting on this new offering, Gerhard Florin, Executive Vice President and General Manager of EA International, said, "With 'Virtual Me,' we are at the forefront of a new, hybrid form of entertainment that takes gaming beyond the console."

The two companies believe that the partnership will help bring together the best of TV and video games for an offering with mass appeal which could change the face of entertainment.

The duo plan to have an integrated team for sharing expertise in their respective fields, and develop entertainment formats and experiences for a wide range of platforms, including TV and online.

For starters, Virtualme.com will be launched in the coming months to coincide with the new series of 'Big Brother,' and will use new avatar creation software to allow people create lifelike virtual representations of themselves. Edited by albusdumbledore - 17 years ago