Travel

Mauritius

Posted: 17 years ago

Hello Everyone, Am new to this section..am Israa

Am a resident of Mauritius, i know not many people have heard about this country, therefore i would love to share some nice features of my country with all of you.

Mauritius is a little island found in the indian ocean..some people says its paradise on land😳..Mauritius is part of the Mascarene islands..

The first people to come in mauritius was the Arab, then the Portugueuse, then the Dutch who were the first permanent settlement but then they went due to the climatic conditions and after that the french came and controlled the island but later the british came and a battle started between french and british and in the end the british won, thus they controlled mauritius but in 1968 we gain our independence...

The local climate is tropical, modified by southeast trade winds; there is a warm, dry winter from May to November and a hot, wet, and humid summer from November to May. Cyclones affect the country during November-April.

The island's capital and largest city is Port Louis, in the northwest. Other important towns are Curepipe, Vacoas, Phoenix, Quatre Bornes, Rose-Hill and Beau-Bassin.

The island is well known for its exceptional natural beauty; "You gather the idea that Mauritius was made first and then heaven, and that heaven was copied after Mauritius", as Mark Twain noted in Following the Equator.

When Maurituis was discovered by the portuguese, there was a bird called 'dodo' that was discovered as well but unfortunaltely it became extinct and the habitants killed them for food😕...so we never got to see a dodo

The Traditional Dance
The Sega is a dance which originated from the ritual music of Madagascar and the mainland of Africa. Sega is one of the cultural pleasures to be enjoyed in Mauritius.
The Culture
Half of the population in Mauritius is Hindu and approximately a fifth is Muslim. Both religions are descendent of indentured labourers that were brought during British Colony to work in cane fields. The remaining population comprises mainly Chinese and Sino - Mauritians, Creole (descendants of African slaves) and Franco Mauritian (the original settlers of the island). The latter today still occupy many of the sugar estate and control almost all sugar plantation.

The Cuisine
One interesting thing of a visit to Mauritius is the variety of cuisines it offers. The most common varieties are Creole, Chinese, European and Indian. A typical Mauritian cuisine includes rougaille (a Mediterranean dish of tomatoes), Sounouk (Salted dry fish), Octopus stew, Daube de poisson and Biryani (Mauritian version). Our favourite Mauritian beverages include Alooda (a syrupsy brew of agar, milk and flavourings such as vanilla or Almond. You can also try our traditional snacks : Dholl puri (our national food), Gateaux piment, Samoussa and Baja.

Mauritius is very well known for its hotel, beach and its landscape. We have lots of cascade, which are very beautiful.

I hope you guys have enjoyed reading, and got to know a bit about Mauritius😳

Please do leave ur comments...Thanks

ISRAA

P.s: some info has been obtained from maurituis.com

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

sareeta thumbnail
Hey Israa,

Thank you for sharing info abt Maruitius and your love of the place and country sure shows in your post! 😊

The title of the post itself got me interested, since I had planned a trip to Mauritius and Seychelles later this year... and reading your post has only made me look forward to the trip even more!

Cheers! Sareeta 😊
Hey Israa,
As you know, I'm also from Mauritius and I can only say that you have truly described Mauritius so beautifully... I agree with u only all the points.
I thought that some people might be interested in seeing pictures related to Mauritius... So, I'm posting some of them here... Source: http://www.its.caltech.edu/~ramtohul/
Cheers,
Pooja

The Belle-Mare beach

Caudan Waterfront in Port-Louis

Chamarel - the seven-coloured earth

Domaine-Les-Pailles in Mauritius

Grand-Bassin in Mauritius

Mauritius aerial view from the west

Mauritius in December - its flame trees

Mauritius sunset

Small islet visible from Mauritius

Rochester falls in the south of Mauritius

The very famous sega dancing of Mauritius
thanks for the pic pooja
they are very beautiful

Israa
sareeta thumbnail
Thanks for the pics Pooja, very beautiful indeed and I am sure now looking at this pics, that I did pick a perfect destination this time to holiday! 😊
Howlarious thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 3
Posted: 16 years ago
Yeh loooks like a really nice place 😃