Posted: 17 years ago
I have a doubt, which I thought I should share with you all...

1.Is it a good idea to dig the old threads and continue them from where we left or should we start afresh ?

I am guilty of digging old topics a couple of times when Anshuman posted the same topics in new threads...But come to think of it, its boring to continue the same old thread..Sometimes our thoughts could be mis lead too..

What are your opinions on this???

Cheers,
Raksha 😊

πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€” no big deal, any thread old or new, it doesnt matter to me 😊except that in old thread you have to flip through a couple of pages for the post Edited by raunaq - 17 years ago
Originally posted by raunaq

πŸ€”πŸ€”πŸ€”   in old thread you have to flip through a couple of pages for the post

That's my problem too..Problems that we lazy people have to face.. 😭
Personally don't care if old topic brought back up or new one started. At times between that time our views may have changed too 😳 Just as Raunaq said we have to flip few pages to see the current postings
*edit

Nice debateable topic!

Laying my thoughts out:- lols self debate..
Old topic should be continued...
1. When something debate or topic has already been discussed then why to repeat it?
2. Regular posters have already shared thier valuable views or debated then why to go over it again, unless a someone has to challenge or has questions on previous posts. What I mean is, if made aware of old already dicussed one should go through the views and then make a call whether he/she should continue or got enough to form an opinion.
3. If exactly the same thing is discussed then I see no point to carry on new post.
4. Won't it be boring with new members coming and opening similar topic to discuss same thing again and again and again...

New topic should be continued.
1. Opinions change, over a period of time.
2. There is always something new to add.
3. Why to jagaao gadey murdey.. and start fresh.
4. If old topic has fever responses then can the two topic be merged.
5. If no. of pages are lots on old, how many will want to go through them? BTW - i do.
6. Topics are based on mind set, time of the day and thought process... who would prefer to hold the thought process ... use the search function, look for relavent topic exists.. go through it to understand whether that is what u wanna debate...
Edited by raj5000 - 17 years ago
πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜† I apologize for spamming..
yeah, it doesn't matter. I like to see new threads opened, as they have active debaters and more hustle bustel, but some of the oldies - (( not by age πŸ˜‰ please) such as Doc AS, Aparna BD, Jats to name a few) - of DM had great posts made in older threads.   so if someone is interested in reading what oldies and others had to say, I link the new ones 😳 .. sometimes i copy paste what i said before πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

This is tricky now. My views are

I think if the old topics are really old as in at least 3 months and ran over 20 pages then it is better to start a new one on the same. We all can refer to the old thread but if we keep adding to it then server becomes slow too.

If the topic is not that old and didn't have many input then it is better to bring the old one to the front page instead of starting a new one.

Depends on the nature of the posts posted in a particular season! If the new posts in DM are monotonous! Then it irritates.If there are somany dumb political topics or If there are lot of family topics or love topics as if this is love-Marriage -counselling forum then it irritates! DM is a place where quality debates should take place as earlier! See ! the quality of the posts at the time Aparna ji, Buffie,Pradarshak !!! Even the topics which related to sesnitive topics like Reservation,social issues and women issues were discussed with dignity and class!

Its not that we need to bite our nails cherishing old times but the USP of DM is the quality debates with respect to co-debator! If that is lost its just like any other web forum!

Before posting if we check the old topics we get guidance on how to debate on a issue.If there is a topic already it will be nice to bring it into front page if we don't want to modify else we need to post it a different manner!

I was never part of the golden era of DM which was at Aparna ji's time.I was not a member then!

Wishes,

Mythili Kiran

Originally posted by mythili_Kiran

Depends on the nature of the posts posted in a particular season! If the new posts in DM are monotonous! Then it irritates.If there are somany dumb political topics or If there are lot of family topics or love topics as if this is love-Marriage -counselling forum then it irritates! DM is a place where quality debates should take place as earlier! See ! the quality of the posts at the time Aparna ji, Buffie,Pradarshak !!! Even the topics which related to sesnitive topics like Reservation,social issues and women issues were discussed with dignity and class!

Its not that we need to bite our nails cherishing old times but the USP of DM is the quality debates with respect to co-debator! If that is lost its just like any other web forum!

Before posting if we check the old topics we get guidance on how to debate on a issue.If there is a topic already it will be nice to bring it into front page if we don't want to modify else we need to post it a different manner!

I was never part of the golden era of DM which was at Aparna ji's time.I was not a member then!

Wishes,

Mythili Kiran

Who and what decides quality? I searched with the member names you mentioned and I have found similar topics discussed in their times too. I am active here for past few months and I have seen many of those old members doing the same things which members do now. I have seen members actively participating in niece-nephew topics, rating actors and so many and I don't think any of those are undeserving because I think any topic under sun is debatable on DM even the love and relationship ones.

Debating is also about posting your POVs on various topics. There are so many topics on DM where I don't post. That is because I sometimes don't relate to them or I have nothing new to offer. It doesn't mean that it lacks quality or the members posting their POVs are rambling.

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve here by repeatedly calling new members' POV trivial and glorifying old onesπŸ˜•. In what ways did those old debaters had dignity and class and the present ones lost it?

For crying out loud what is this golden era?

Edited by Maya_M - 17 years ago
Originally posted by Maya_M

Who and what decides quality? I searched with the member names you mentioned and I have found similar topics discussed in their times too. I am active here for past few months and I have seen many of those old members doing the same things which members do now. I have seen members actively participating in niece-nephew topics, rating actors and so many and I don't think any of those are undeserving because I think any topic under sun is debatable on DM even the love and relationship ones.

Debating is also about posting your POVs on various topics. There are so many topics on DM where I don't post. That is because I sometimes don't relate to them or I have nothing new to offer. It doesn't mean that it lacks quality or the members posting their POVs are rambling.

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve here by repeatedly calling new members' POV trivial and glorifying old onesπŸ˜•. In what ways did those old debaters had dignity and class and the present ones lost it?

For crying out loud what is this golden era?

Maya I was typing a similar reply but it's good that I lost it. As it's exactly what you're saying.πŸ˜ƒ

Myth, people don't come here to learn from the earlier debators, they come here to present their own POVs. Fwiw, I've looked up many of the earlier debates and I've found the dignity stuff you're talking about was many times maintained by presenting a load of PC talk, for example look up that thread on Bande Mataram. That's not what you call a debate or speaking one's mind. If you want all of us to act out something or ape somebody instead of presenting our POVs, then sorry atleast I can't oblige.

Btw coming back to the present topic, the quality of a debate ultimately depends on the topic. Just because a topic was debated earlier doesn't mean it can't be debated now. Infact, it's better to start it afresh since many of the earlier debaters are now inactive, but the present debaters might feel hesitant to post their POVs if they feel there's not much to add. But you never know what might come out as the debate progresses.

Edited by souro - 17 years ago