Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

mermaid_QT thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Originally posted by: mythili_Kiran

I was never part of the golden era of DM which was at Aparna ji's time.I was not a member then!

i have been a member since DOC was viewbie.  According to me debate topic and standard has not gone down.   Raj, Persy and many others regularly add new posts of variety!  yes, relationship threads can drag too long but thats bound to happen.
The standard of DM went down due to unchecked personal attacks.  I am sure with doc being active some questionable posts would have dealt with proactively.  Let us not pass the blame bucket here :)  It is not the posts, it is lack of vigilance.  I am sure we'll see improvement in the coming days.  We already have seen πŸ‘..  new posters like raj, raunaq, neetu, persy, souro, manju di, Dew drop , Gauri, priya and many others,,   and renewed memberships raksha -  She gave one of the best threads I have seen, Cham cham ka yaar, SAREG - the nvmd πŸ˜‰man,  all are doing awesome....  DM rocks when there is no personal attack made / if made they're atleast taken care of proactively.

This is my opinion since I am entitled to one 😳.  It could be wrong / not admired, but it is mine.

Good luck to us all.

Edited by mermaid_QT - 17 years ago
sareg thumbnail
A debate generally should stick to the topic of debate and not go to the taste of individuals or group of individuals.

Some of the old debates were real good discussions on topic, with research or personal experience or personal beleif

I think currently too many debators think alike on topics at hand, so the debate generally tapers off and finally ends up discussing cultural issues.

Take for example abortion

If you bring it up today, mostly it will lead to morality--> culture --> East/West

And generally (IMHO) it should go abortion --> womens right to choose VS morality

I personally think we should have debates on the old topics seperately, but in the topic header there should be a link to older debate
mermaid_QT thumbnail
Originally posted by: sareg

If you bring it up today, mostly it will lead to morality--> culture --> East/West
And generally (IMHO) it should go abortion --> womens right to choose VS morality

very valid point!

IdeaQueen thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Maya_M

Who and what decides quality? I searched with the member names you mentioned and I have found similar topics discussed in their times too. I am active here for past few months and I have seen many of those old members doing the same things which members do now. I have seen members actively participating in niece-nephew topics, rating actors and so many and I don't think any of those are undeserving because I think any topic under sun is debatable on DM even the love and relationship ones.

Debating is also about posting your POVs on various topics. There are so many topics on DM where I don't post. That is because I sometimes don't relate to them or I have nothing new to offer. It doesn't mean that it lacks quality or the members posting their POVs are rambling.

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve here by repeatedly calling new members' POV trivial and glorifying old onesπŸ˜•. In what ways did those old debaters had dignity and class and the present ones lost it?

For crying out loud what is this golden era?

These are my views which I don't regret in expressing becuase I don't intend to hurt anyone and I'm not here to please anyone!

My emphasis lies definetely on the quality of the topics posted! Not the topics !

Say  if we take bollywood if we like old times Rajkapoor,rajesh kumar,Vijayantimala and meena kumari it does not mean that we cherish the old people all the times! Even today we have wonderful actors in the new era.The quality of those new actors is seen provided they get right chance in a right movie! Say for instance Ayesha Takia did well in DOR ,prior to DOR she was a glam doll  (she even acted in telugu films)!

Similar manner,earlier debates were definetly best and even today we have better than the best debators but their quality is seen if better topics are posted!

BTW this is not a online class room where we come religiously on time every time to learn a particular concept and no one is going to give us a test πŸ˜†!!

No more debate from my side on this issue and I wanted to express this as I got an oppurtunity to do so!

Wishes,

Mythili Kiran

IdeaQueen thumbnail

Originally posted by: sareg

A debate generally should stick to the topic of debate and not go to the taste of individuals or group of individuals.

Some of the old debates were real good discussions on topic, with research or personal experience or personal beleif

I think currently too many debators think alike on topics at hand, so the debate generally tapers off and finally ends up discussing cultural issues.

I personally think we should have debates on the old topics seperately, but in the topic header there should be a link to older debate

well explained and I agree with you😊

IdeaQueen thumbnail
Originally posted by: souro

Maya I was typing a similar reply but it's good that I lost it. As it's exactly what you're saying.πŸ˜ƒ

Myth, people don't come here to learn from the earlier debators, they come here to present their own POVs. Fwiw, I've looked up many of the earlier debates and I've found the dignity stuff you're talking about was many times maintained by presenting a load of PC talk, for example look up that thread on Bande Mataram. That's not what you call a debate or speaking one's mind. If you want all of us to act out something or ape somebody instead of presenting our POVs, then sorry atleast I can't oblige.

Btw coming back to the present topic, the quality of a debate ultimately depends on the topic. Just because a topic was debated earlier doesn't mean it can't be debated now. Infact, it's better to start it afresh since many of the earlier debaters are now inactive, but the present debaters might feel hesitant to post their POVs if they feel there's not much to add. But you never know what might come out as the debate progresses.

I respect your views Souro ji!πŸ˜› My views are mine and your are yours!

No regrets in expressing the views!😊

souro thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Originally posted by: mythili_Kiran

I respect your views Souro ji!πŸ˜› My views are mine and your are yours!

No regrets in expressing the views!😊

Neither am I asking you to regret your views. But if you're aware of what a good debate should be, shouldn't it be you who should take the initiative to debate in that manner instead of always pointing out that earlier this and that was better and criticising the present members.

raj5000 thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

I thought we had a good debate on hand... after a while πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜† but seems to shifting to Dhishum Dhishum ... sense some rifts...

Lets not to be personal and continue on the open debate Guys!

Edit -

Topic is

1.Is it a good idea to dig the old threads and continue them from where we left or should we start afresh ?

Edited by raj5000 - 17 years ago
IdeaQueen thumbnail
Originally posted by: souro

Neither am I asking you to regret your views. But if you're aware of what a good debate should be, shouldn't it be you who should take the initiative to debate in that manner instead of always pointing out that earlier this and that was better and criticising the present members.

Did I make a personal comment any member of past present and future of DM! No one is the representative of the past Dm,present DM Right! Cherishing the old does;nt mean bashing the present !Please don't unnecessarily crticize me for expressing my views! I was not the part of the classy debate period which I mentioned.It does not mean that I donot have any right to speak about the best Debating style! Appreciating others does'nt mean degrading some!

Wishes,

Mythili

manjujain thumbnail
How it matters if topic is old or new? If members want to debate they will. Digging out old debate does not stop posting new topic so if anyone has better topic that can always be posted as events are not mutually exclusive... so let's not debate on that... participate in what you want to & levae which you are not interested in... just my POV...