College & University

DOTW-Choosing Your Major

Pensive thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 5
Posted: 17 years ago

After high school, we quickly have to think of where we want to head in life. You decide on going to college and have to decide on a major.

So the question is ...Will you do your major in something you absolutely love and can identify with but know it won't provide lucrative jobs?

or its better to do the major in something you know will provide lots of  job oppertunities but it's something you're not quite excited about?

Edited by angel_wings - 17 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

datspreets thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
I'm pursuing B.com and CA, and i choose to do CA for the sheer scope it offers, but its now that i've been expanding my knowledge about various subjects related to the finance field that i've realised this is what i want to do. So for me, i'm doing what has scope and what i've eventually begun liking!

But i think while choosing a major, one must put scope of a subject above your personal liking.
Tearðrops thumbnail
I agree Preets. I would love to be doing photography or games development but i know they are not best suited to me as a career choice and nor would i have many job paths.
Bhanu000 thumbnail
What is a major I dont think we have them here in NewZealand
Neetusxm thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
i guess you can major in what you like but you also have to think of the future...may be you can do minors in other areas just to keep your self safe for the future... and u might change your mind later on...

for example i loved to teach but my parents own several businesses so they asked me to do BA which i did, but i also took courses which teachers need...

so i work in my store plus i tutor some kids 😊

if you are not sure at all do General Liberal Arts, once you do some courses it will help generate interest in some stuff...

when choosing a major keep all prospects in mind!!!

cheers, neetu
xaphan thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
a major should be chosen according to interest...if u do a major in sumthin u dont like den u will get a good job..but what about da way u do it...will u be able to work properly and with interest? no...thats why u shud chose a field in which u r interested and not one dat has more opportunities
OnlyHope thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 3

I think your major should be chosen according to your interest because you will never be able to accelerate in a field you're not much interested in..

ajeebhotum thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
I also think the Major should be choosen accordin to your interest, otherwise, you'll hate studying, loose intrest, and hate goign to work aswell! 😊

-Rachna
Shilpa07 thumbnail
im pursuing wat i always dreamt of...being a doctor 😊
devilangel thumbnail
i would love love love to major in linguistic studies..but im not so sure how that will work out in the future.. so my second choice is internal medicine