Lunch Ideas for Kids!

Posted: 16 years ago

Hello IF Friends,

Good morning everybody... I'm sure almost all of us must be in good mood as today is Friday! 😊   We have been moving with great success on the other thread Recipes, sharing a number of wonderful recipes among us....etc.

I just thought, wouldn't it nice if we start a special thread to discuss about easy & fun Lunch ideas for packing food for our kids...  So let's please share some of the ideas and tips on this topic and get benefited. Let's  not restrict it to talk about Lunch alone, in addition we can talk about some cool recipes to make for dinner & even some quick and easy break-fast ideas as well! But Packing lunch ideas gets the first preference!πŸ˜›.  So let's get ready and Start.

Packing Lunch for my first grader seems to be the toughest job these days for me. THis is because my child doesn't eat spicy food (I believe this is an issue lot of moms face with their kids..) and with all these restrictions I go nuts, scratching my head everyday ...thinking What to Pack.

Our Usuals are... Chicken Nuggets, Mac&Cheese, Lemon rice, Coconut rice, Idli, Pasta & Dosa (made little thick than usual)..that's all. But we both get tired very soon if I had to repeat these again.. The other biggest headache how to include her veggies. If it's Pasta I mix boiled veggies with the sauce and send it. But for Idli & Dosa - no way I can make her eat her veggies! Any ideas, Suggestions are most appreciated.
Hi Supree, Great topic. I am glad you started this.
Esp for Idli, you can try vegetable idli and instead of chutney, give Sambhar. Thus, all the nutrients are covered for. You can try giving a yogurt or raitha with chopped veggies.. But Don't ask me how to make the kids eat -- that is a million dollar question:(

Very nice topic Supree. I agree packing lunch is the greatest task too. I also make small quesadias with 2 small size totillas filling with cheese, ketchep and some cooked veggies...

Originally posted by Wingy

Hi Supree, Great topic. I am glad you started this.
Esp for Idli, you can try vegetable idli and instead of chutney, give Sambhar. Thus, all the nutrients are covered for. You can try giving a yogurt or raitha with chopped veggies.. But Don't ask me how to make the kids eat -- that is a million dollar question:(

Winky....i've got the same problem😭😭😭. Coz of her eating problem, i even took her to a clinic for problematic children for foods. But it's was a little better than before,but still not great πŸ˜’.

supree!!
Great idea of opening this thread.
Since your child is a little older,she/he will choose what they like. All you have to do is make sure that they get their veggies and healthy stuffs.

maybe u can give them "meat ball"and steamed veggies with it. Along with that u can give some toasted bread with butter or something. It depends on what they really prefer.
For the meat ball,you can buy them,or you can make a fresh ones. The good thing about making fresh ones is,you can add some onions,green pepper in it which includes a veggie.
--Try mashed potatoes if they like and add some finely cut veggies, and make like a spread on toasts.
--Cook a chicken trip,and wrap in a tortilla along with lettuce,g.pepper,tomato and some other veggies that the kids prefer also if you add shredded cheese,it'll be good too.
--Make scrambled egges with veggies and put it on a bread and toast on the sandwich toaster.
--Buy some roasted chicken breast or ham or roast beef and make sandwich with lettuce,tomatoes and any other veggies.(you can even use crossant instead of bread,it tastes better)

That's all i can think of right now.
Will post more if i get some more ideas.
Originally posted by Chellama

Winky....i've got the same problem😭😭😭. Coz of her eating problem, i even took her to a clinic for problematic children for foods. But it's was a little better than before,but still not great πŸ˜’.

Hang in there buddy, eventually things will change.

Wingy...hoping and praying for it!! 😍

I too face the same problem with my 2 year old Aishu.
She even refuses to drink milk. She is healthy but very skinny.I will make a bottle of milk and put it in her mouth when she is fast asleep. She will drink it. She hates sweet items. I am just the opposite.
She enjoyed a bit of the fried idlli I made for dinner.

Edited by Kavitha Ravi - 16 years ago

But kavi...mine goes wild for milk πŸ˜† she loves milk and will drink without eating anything. But food is the problem. i'm happy atleast i don't have to struggle with the milk. 😊 πŸ˜› With food,i usually bribe her with chocolates or some candies. So i atleast can get her to eat few bites.