Posted: 16 years ago

World Cup Final, what a chaos? at the end

This is what happened, Sirlanka needed  75runs, on 24 balls, 3 wickets in hand, major visibility problem as it had gone very dark even with the flood lights, 8 wicket fell, 20 balls 70 runs - prety obvious game is all over, both batsman walked off, groundsman started preparation for ceremony, scored board declared Australia winner, Australians starting rejoicing.  TO everyone's surprise, per umpires game was not over and  resumed the game- actually right per rules they were right, but whats the use as both parties were in agreement?? Was real dark and 800 plus people waiting to perform the closing ceremonies...

Following the rules is atmost important? or based on certain circumstances (not known to rule makers) or common sense deviation should be allowed?

Edited by raj5000 - 16 years ago
Well i think when Australia is the opponent nobody is interested in playing the game 😕 😆 ,the Opponent team assumes after the first 10 overs that they hvv lost the match 😡 😃.

Thats what happened to Srl Lanka yesterday,Gilchrist literally dashed their hopes in the first 15 overs ,after that its only a matter of time the Australians hv been declared the winners...

Now coming back to the question,rules matter in cricket only if the match is quite close for comfort and none of the teams know whose going to win,well at least that is the mentality of today's cricketers 😡

According to me the umpires r the ones to take any decision regarding the continuation of the match(unless the umpires offer light to the players and the players decide to go back to the pavillion) and if the umpires decide to go on with the play then its the duty of the cricketers to follow their instructions regardless of the match status,i don't think deviation should b allowed as theres no such rule and the players can't just decide a rule sitting in the pavillion.That doesn't goes well with the spirit of the match.

Originally posted by jyoti06

Well i think when Australia is the opponent nobody is interested in playing the game 😕 😆 ,the Opponent team assumes after the first 10 overs that they hvv lost the match 😡 😃.

yeah Right but there is hope 😆

Thats what happened to Srl Lanka yesterday,Gilchrist literally dashed their hopes in the first 15 overs ,after that its only a matter of time the Australians hv been declared the winners...

Nah... Srilankans started off on an impressive note.

Now coming back to the question,rules matter in cricket only if the match is quite close for comfort and none of the teams know whose going to win,well at least that is the mentality of today's cricketers 😡

Right.. but this was an exception... not normal circumstances .. light was bad, extensive closing ceremony was awaited... not a normal test match where day has to be completed even though everyone knows its a draw...

According to me the umpires r the ones to take any decision regarding the continuation of the match(unless the umpires offer light to the players and the players decide to go back to the pavillion) and if the umpires decide to go on with the play then its the duty of the cricketers to follow their instructions regardless of the match status,i don't think deviation should b allowed as theres no such rule and the players can't just decide a rule sitting in the pavillion.That doesn't goes well with the spirit of the match.

Agreed... but wonder how would taking a deviation with everyones concern would have mattered.

My point is beyond cricket actually in day to day, there are similar instances where based on common sense rules can be bent... then should people stick to bokkish rule?

THanks for the response.. nice arguements!1

it was a very unusual victory in any World Cup finale - but frankly saying I did not think it was a clean victory on Ausies' part.... SriLankans were still playing buh due to weather conditions(which already got forecasted that there would be raining) they suffered...

we have seen sri lanka performing even after losing 7 wickets in this world cup itself... the USP of cricket has always been a mystery which we cannot predict what would happen unless there are some worst conditions...

in the last moment of time Sri Lankans had to score 31 runs per over with 3 wickets in hand.... well keeping in mind all the above factors, a layman can also say that it wasnt a fair game been played....

they already knew that the weather would not be that good to play the game - then why didnt they take some steps like reducing the match length to 25 overs in the first place or any alternate day to play finale in a proper way...

secondly, if they consider run rate also... no rate in this dynamic world would be same or uniform then how can they conclude depending upon the rates comparing the two innings after each over got bowled....

I would generally say that rules could be bent if both parties agree to it. But in this case I would say that Cricket is a game of luck and should be taken in true sportsman spirit. Play till the end. If one team could just accept its defeat then there is no point of teams playing when they have already lost their chance to enter next league. Like in Pakistan's case when they were forced to play against Zimbabwe just after Woolmer's death and when there was no point. Lot of money goes into such games so play till the end.

Having said that I am still miffed with the double standards ICC shows against teams from subcontinent. Every allegation of ball tampering is thrown our way. If our players show faces or blurt few things then direct ban or fine. If Australians do it then it is reviewed several times before a decision is made on fine or even a ban.  The height was when Australia and England refused to play in Sri Lanka fearing LTTE and India and Pakistan went and played friendly games. They incurred so much loss then. Where was ICC with its rule book then? Why is it that only Australian players' lives are important?

Originally posted by raj5000

My point is beyond cricket actually in day to day, there are similar instances where based on common sense rules can be bent... then should people stick to bokkish rule?

About day to day life, take this scenario. You have applied for a phone connection. No one comes and when you go to meet the officials, they ask you chai-pani ka kharcha. You need your connection and the amount is not high either. Rs500 gaya and appko mila phone connection. Here botht parties are in agreement and didn't follow the rules.

Is it right to bend rules?

Originally posted by Maya_M

About day to day life, take this scenario. You have applied for a phone connection. No one comes and when you go to meet the officials, they ask you chai-pani ka kharcha. You need your connection and the amount is not high either. Rs500 gaya and appko mila phone connection. Here botht parties are in agreement and didn't follow the rules.

Is it right to bend rules?

In this scenario no, thats encouraging corruption Consider these

Scenario 1 - Cab gats pulled over, u as an passenger request the cop to let the cab drive you till the airport and then he can spend time in legal formailities with cab driver.

Scenario2 : Today's - match should have been not resumed, poor light, stiff/miraculous target. Agreement.

Scenario 3:  No entry after 7Pm to work, only to few people allowed. At 7:05 , u leavve at parking area, u realized have forgotten car keys at the desk, security should accompany u to desk to fetch keys rather then making u wait 3 hours tracking the supervisor and his backup, who are not used to working after 5 PM and afer confirmation, merely punching the access card at the elevator for u to go alone and get the keys

Originally posted by raj5000

In this scenario no, thats encouraging corruption Consider these

Scenario 1 - Cab gats pulled over, u as an passenger request the cop to let the cab drive you till the airport and then he can spend time in legal formailities with cab driver.

Scenario2 : Today's - match should have been not resumed, poor light, stiff/miraculous target. Agreement.

Scenario 3:  No entry after 7Pm to work, only to few people allowed. At 7:05 , u leavve at parking area, u realized have forgotten car keys at the desk, security should accompany u to desk to fetch keys rather then making u wait 3 hours tracking the supervisor and his backup, who are not used to working after 5 PM and afer confirmation, merely punching the access card at the elevator for u to go alone and get the keys

So rules should be applied based on the scenario. In this particular case of Cricket teams should play till the end because so much money is at stake in forms of sponsorships and tickets. That is why even when a team is sure to be out from next league is still compelled to play. Felt bad for Pak team because they were forced to play just a day after their Coach's death. But Australia plainly refused to play in Sri Lanka when sub continent hosted WC and no actions were taken, only two points reduced

The worst WC finals ever, a WC final of 38 overs each side is just pathetic. Why on earth are there no floodlights in any of the Grounds in WI, atleast this ground should have had them (for such situations) or they should have postponed the final for tomorrow.

Originally posted by SolidSnake

The worst WC finals ever, a WC final of 38 overs each side is just pathetic. Why on earth are there no floodlights in any of the Grounds in WI, atleast this ground should have had them (for such situations) or they should have postponed the final for tomorrow.

Agree whole-heartedly. The entire world cup was a drag, and then to finish it off with a 38-over-a-side match 🤢 I was shocked when I saw the Cricinfo website and found out that the match was actually being played. Having said that, I think there is no such thing as "the rule" - every rule has exceptions, and every rule can be bended! Depends on who is involved and who is stronger 😉

Edited by serialbuff - 16 years ago