Black gram – 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Pepper powder – 1 pinch
Asafetida – 1 pinch
Green chilly – 1
Curry leaves – few
Rock salt – to taste

Method:

Soak horse gram overnight. Boil till it becomes soft. It takes longer to cook horse gram than other legumes. Drain the water (this water can be taken separately and made as soup). Heat coconut oil in a pan and add mustard seeds, green chillies, pepper powder, cumin seeds, asafetida and curry leaves. Add cooked horse gram with little salt and mix well. Add grated coconut, if required.

Note: Sorry friends I got a nice shelling from Ravi asking him to upload the picture.. As everyone is very busy. I will come and join as Indera, once Kavi is better. Thanks. Indera Sithambaram

Edited by Kavitha Ravi - 16 years ago
Kavitha Ravi thumbnail
Posted: 16 years ago
This is Kavi's recipe (sorry no picture )

Kollu RASAM

Ingredients.
125 grms roasted kollu ( soaked overnight )
1 litre water
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp black pepper
2 dry chillies
1 lime-size tamarind
tsp tumeric powder
4 pods garlic roughly smashed

FOR TEMPERING

2 tsp oil
tsp mustard
2 stalks curry leaves
2 red chilli broken
salt to taste

METHOD:

Boil the roasted, soaked kollu in a litre of water till cooked ,mash well , and keep aside.
Coarsely grind the black pepper, cumin seeds and the dry chillies, and
Add to the kollu mixture.
Extract the tamarind juice, using a little water and add it to the kollu mixture.
Also add the tumeric powder, and the roughly smashed garlic.
Add some water to the mixture if you find the liquid is very little.
Heat a pot, add 2 tsp of oil. When it's hot add the mustard seeds followed by the broken red chillies, and the curry leaves.
When the dry chilli browns, quickly pour the kollu mixture and close immediately.
Open the lid when it starts to boil, add salt to taste, and remove from fire.
Caryn thumbnail
This is a very easy noodles. Pratically it is a lazy woman's work but it is tasty.

Thalipu Noodles

1 packet rice vermicelli
1 large onion, chopped roughly
2-3 pcs dried red chillies, cut into pieces
2-3 stalks curry leaves
1 tbs thalipu mixture (mustard seeds, urad dhal, cumin, fenugreek)
3 tbs oil
salt to taste

Cook vermicelli the usual way or as per packet instructions.

In a wok, add oil, and fry all the above items, until golden brown. Then add the cooked noodles and salt. Give a good fry, mixing all the items evenly.

Enjoy eating it.

It is best to eat this on its own. Or you can vary it curry/paratel, etc.

Caryn thumbnail
They showed this recipe in Surreal Gourmet and I remembered Supree likes Tofu, so here it is for you.

But I haven't tried yet.

I packet firm square tofu. Sliced in 1.5 cm size.
1 bottle Thai sweet chilly sauce
Panko – Japanese breadcrumbs (or you can use ordinary ones). Apparently panko tastes better
oil

2 Broccolis, cut florets

To grind
bottle Tahini paste
1-2 tbs curry powder
1-2 tbs rice vinegar
1-2 tbs light soya sauce
1-2 tbs sugar
2 cloves garlic
1" ginger

In a bag – put all the tofu and sweet chilly sauce. Shake well and marinate for few hours or even overnight.

Take out, and cut the tofu in triangle shape. Coat with panko all over. In a pan, pour in some oil, and fry the tofu both sides till browned and drain.

To prepare side dish for tofu.

In a pot, add salt and boil the water. While the water is boiling, in a large bowl, prepare ice water with ice cubes.

When the water is boiled, put in broccoli in batches, cook for few mins. Do not overcook, your broccoli must be crunchy. Immediately after removing from the boiling water, dump the broccoli into the cold water. Do it until all finished. Drain the water and pat dry with kitchen towel.

In a food processor, grind all the ingredients together and taste for seasoning. Then add to the broccoli and toss well.

Serve together with tofu.

jaykayuk thumbnail
HI
After searching for "Kollu" ie horsegram for 2 years, I finally got it in an Indian shop in London last saturday...AND....I was extremely surprised and thrilled to see all these discussions about it!!

I would like to give a Kollu recipe which is a favourite in my family...because one has to really develop a taste for kollu.

KOLLU DOSAI

Boiled rice - 2 cups
Kollu       - half cup
Fenugreek seeds(Methi) - 1 tsp

1. Wash well and Soak together for 6 to 8 hours and grind to a smooth paste , using the water in which it was soaked for grinding.

2.Mix salt( 3 to 4 tsp) , cover and leave overnight till the batter rises.

3.Add water to bring the batter to dosa maavu consistency and make dosas. This dosa requires almost no oil.

4. Serve hot with coconut chutney

This is a tasty way to lose weight !!!

Remember kollu heats up the body..so drink lots of buttermilk to cool the body.

Jayanthi
Kavitha Ravi thumbnail
Expecting an avalanche of visitors in the evening, we decided to do different types of dosas. As Kavi puts in, its 2 in 1 visits for them.

Godamba Dosai.

Ingredients:

2 cups of wheat flour
1/2 cup all purpose flour
salt to taste
water as required
1/4 cup oil or ghee.

Method:
Mix all the ingredients to a smooth dosa like batter.
Cover and let the batter rest for half an hour.
Then cook as you will the dosai.

Kavitha Ravi thumbnail
I am sure everyone knows how to make onion and potato masala. the potato masala should be very thick in texture.
Make dosas with a little extra oil, when both sides are cooked, place three to four tbs of the masala in the middle of the dosa. Fold both sides cover to cover.
turn it over and serve hot with sambar and chutney.

Kavitha Ravi thumbnail
Now its Rava Dosai.

Ingredients:
2 cups of rava
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup rice flour
1 cup yogurt
2 tsp cumin seeds
1 fresh green chillie, finely chopped
1 tbs ginger finely chopped
2 red dry chillie cut into pieces
2 sprigs curry leaves
2 tbs cilantro leaves, roughly chopped
salt to taste
water as required
oil

Method:
In a bowl, mix all the ingredients. Stirring continually
pour in water a little at a time, to make a smooth, thin batter.
Cover the bowl, and let the batter rest for an hour.
Heat a thosai kal, pour the batter in a circular motion .When one side is cooked, turn it over and cook the other side,till nice brown in colour.
Remove and serve with sambar and chutney.

supree thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Prepared this above dish (Chick peas Sundal) for one of the events at my daughter's school last year, when everyone was asked to bring something (easy fun snacks for the kids) to represent their country.

This sundal is my all time favorite, goes as an easily eatable snack item and is healthy too! So I decided to make this and decorated it, of course along with my dear daughter who told me to put one of the green chillies on the side of the flag! 😊

Recipe: Many of you must already know this simple & easy item, still in my words...

Ingredients:
1 cup dry chick peas OR
2 cans of chick peas drained and rinsed in water
1/4 tsp mustard
2-3 green chillies
curry leaves
grated coconut - 2-3 tbsp
salt - to taste

Method: If you are using dry chick peas, soak them in water over night and pressure cook it with salt till its tender. Drain the excess water and keep it aside.
In a pan, put little oil (just a tsp) and put mustard seeds, when the seeds pop, put g.chillies and saute it for few seconds. Now add curry leaves and then the drained chick peas and saute it for few more secs. You may want to check the salt and add more if you need more at this point.
Add the grated coconut just before switching off the stove and mix it well. In the above step some people put cut onions too..but it's optional.

Now for the Flag part - For Orange - I used grated carrots, white - grated coconut and green - Curry leaves and Green chillies. Now for the wheel, I cut some red onion into small pieces and did a little bit of saute to change the color from red to (purplish) blue!!
Arrange them into a nice design and there goes your Independence day special Dish!

Anaivarukkum Enn Iniya Suthanthira Dina Nalvazthukkal Urithaguka!! 😊
supree thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
BTW, for last weekend's get together, the menu ...
Spinach Rice/Pulav & Cucumber Salad, Chappathis & Mixed Vegetable Curd Kurma, Ennai Kathirikkai Karakuzhambu, Rasam, Potato Fry and Broccoli curry, Curd & Green chillies Thokku! And my favorite Pineapple Cake! Recipes for some of these items listed here were given already, so let me give for the new items ...

Potato Fry

This is an easy, simple recipe requiring only 2-3 ingredients, but the taste is very good. My MIL's recipe...

Ingredients:
Potatos - 3 Big - Remove the skin and cube them
Garlic - 7 to 8 cloves
Oil - a little more than you need for regular dry curry
Chilli powder - 1/4 to 1/2 (according to your taste)

Method: First boil the potatos (half way) and drain and keep the pieces aside.
Next in a large pan/Kadai, pour some oil and when it;s (not too hot) add the garlic (crushed) in it and fry for few seconds.
When they turn into a little light gold color, add potato pieces and add salt and chilli powder.
Keep stirring and let it cook by covering it and keeping the flame in low, for 10-12 mins (depending on the potatos). That's about it. Now you can enjoy your different styled Potato Fry! 😊